Music Glastonbury 2019

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Read stormzy was brilliant. Turned up in a bullet proof jacket with a union Jack on it and nobody shot him.
But heard he took a few shots himself at boris the trump.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Yeah Jay Z is so shit that 55 million people bought his albums. Never occurred to you that other people have a different taste in music?

Genuinely such a grim opinion. Look at me, my music taste is better, and all of this stuff is shit.
I quite like hip hop and I know there’s good and bad in all genres. But I do know shite when I hear it. I was just using those as examples.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It’s changed since Emily Eavis started organising it. All sorts of shite headlining now. Stormzy? JayZ? Etc i used to go in the 90s and into the 2000s because it felt like it was a festival for music that wasn’t shite. It was something different. Now it’s just like every other festival. They’ve even got an inner circle in front of the stage for celebrities. That against the whole ethos of what it used to be about. Once they stopped the travellers going it really turned to shite to be honest. And I quite like the Killers but they’re really boring live and he really can’t sing live.
Totally disagree. Watched them live on Friday and they were quite the opposite of boring or showing the inability to sing.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
No chat about Lewis Capaldi in here? Guy is a legend.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Thought the killers were awesome last night. Loved the bit with the petshop boys

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Loyle Carner performing in a ‘I Hate Boris’ Tee in front of a picture of Eric Cantona and a 00s Beckham England shirt is the summer energy I’m about...

Mockney

There is literally nothing more boring than people a bit past their prime complaining about music festival line ups being worse than whenever era it was that catered more to their tastes. Culture changes, often rapidly, and music is always it’s first line of attack. Hip Hop has just become the new convenient focal point because it’s both culturally and sonically quite different from what came before*. But it’s also undoubtedly the biggest musical genre of the last 2 decades ... so what are Glastonbury supposed to do? Ignore it and fade into obscurity? (Or at least lesser relevance?)

Sure, it could’ve remained a narrower, genre stricter festival, but there are countless of those now. It’s probably irksome for the locals that were into that way back, but times move on, things change, especially things that take a huge amount of money and effort to organise, and it’s not like that kind of thing isn’t catered for AT ALL. If anything it’s more catered to than ever. For better or worse Glasto just evolved into a bigger, more global cultural thing. Complaining about it reminds me of when my mates and I would stop dancing and screwface during our raving days when Shake Your Body or Snapshot would drop in the jungle clubs, because they’d (fleetingly) been (low) in the charts, and for some reason we assumed these underground artists should be forsaking any chance of genuine success just to keep us and our little clique of genre purists happy...

I’ve never been, nor am particularly interested in going to Glastonbury (outside of a vague bucket list desire) - because I tend to go to a plethora of the aforementioned festivals that cater to me - but I can still appreciate that it does a far better job than most of catering to as many tastes as possible. Its not like it’s gone full populist Cochealla... It’s usually still one headliner for the youts, one for the still partying 30 odds, and one for the dads... Occasionslly these aren’t all great (as I personally agree they aren’t this year - though Stormzy, The Killers and The Cure easily fall into these categories) but you know what? Not everything is for me... Music is mostly for the young, and it always has been. You either embrace it, accept it, or become a tiresome Tory wanker. Those are the ONLY OPTIONS GUYS!!

* also, the “it doesn’t work on big festival stages because it’s just a guy and a backing track” argument is bollocks. Yes, of course it works better in smaller more intimate environments, but so do most rocks acts! How the feck d’you think rock started? It was just birthed by Led Zep playing Tampa was it? You telling me you’d rather have seen Hendrix at a giant festival than in a smokey room with 200 people? Plus loads of guitar acts are just some guy standing motionless in the middle of a stage for an hour, most of the pop acts (which Glasto have had much longer than hip hop) are playing to backing tracks, and a lot of bands are just really shit live, with little sense of theatre... so what?

Hip Hop just has to play by the “lone woman on a panel show” rules, whereby every act is expected to represent their entire genre, whilst 3 of the 4 guys who aren’t Frankie Boyle or Paul Merton (as panellists, not rappers) can just be nominally shit without much fuss.

Besides, by all accounts Stormzy went down exceptionally well. It was theatrical, provocative, socially relevant and has already become a semi-iconic performance - you know, exactly the kind of thing an alternative music festival should be platforming! - so just repeating the mantra that rap acts don’t work like it’s universal truth, doesn’t exactly work...Hip Hop acts at festivals are getting better with every generation. It’s a learning curve. But sure, let’s have a less relevant rock act sing their non-descript emo lyrics whilst strumming really hard on the spot in leather trousers again... ‘Cos that’s what alternative really means. ‘Cos of the guitars.... and the trousers.

.... (deep breath)....

Anyway, I surprisingly thought Miley Cyrus was pretty decent. I cant say I know more than a Beadle’s handful of her songs, but she can at least actually sing, had a proper band + Mark Ronson behind her, and put on a pretty varied and energetic performance.... then again, she didn’t personally play any instruments. But she did wear leather trousers at one point! So the alternative purist in me is pretty torn.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Run The Jewels were brilliant at Glastonbury a few years ago.

I also very much enjoyed Jay Z walking out playing Wonderwall on the guitar as a way of telling Noel Gallagher to go feck himself.

Mockney

Parklife!
:lol:

Ohhhh the fogeys, so many wrinklies...

I like Billie Eilish btw. I'm young still.

I also like Eilish. In fact I apparently (according to my Mrs) spent an embarrassingly long time at a party drunkenly telling someone American that she was “gonna be big” as if I’d discovered her, despite her already being quite a big deal at the time, and the person in question knowing full well who she was...

Which is exactly the kind of thing my mum used to do to me when she’d heard a Craig David song at a wedding 2 years after it’d come out.

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Run The Jewels were brilliant at Glastonbury a few years ago.

I also very much enjoyed Jay Z walking out playing Wonderwall on the guitar as a way of telling Noel Gallagher to go feck himself.
Anyone telling one of those brothers to go feck themselves gets a free pass in my book.

pauldyson1uk

Watched a fair bit this weekend.
Stormzy I thought was OK , not a huge fan but enjoyed it.
The Killers were good , did a bt of the Chemical brothers.
Watched Kylie , well it had to be done.
Currently have The Cure on , again not a huge fan, like some of their stuff, going to watch liam later.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I also like Eilish. In fact I apparently (according to my Mrs) spent an embarrassingly long time at a party drunkenly telling someone American that she was “gonna be big” as if I’d discovered her, despite her already being quite a big deal at the time, and the person in question knowing full well who she was...

Which is exactly the kind of thing my mum used to do to me when she’d heard a Craig David song at a wedding 2 years after it’d come out.

Anyone telling one of those brothers to go feck themselves gets a free pass in my book.
Word.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
These young whippersnappers don't know where it's at! Suede were fab at Glasto in AD 2015!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Did anyone catch Wu Tang Clan last night? I'm gonna seek out the highlights at some point but wondering whether it was any good?

Mockney

I don’t want my rant to be construed as an attack at the old, per say. It’s an attack at the culturally belligerent. Which just so happens to be a common condition of aging. But Glastonbury named a stage after John Peel (who I’m pretty sure was almost Yewtree’d at one point? Do we not talk about that?) because however old he got, he always fervently championed new music and tastes. You can easily be old and cool. Look at Bowie. Jonny Marr is the same age as Morrissey, but one of them is cool, and one of them is a tiresome Tory wanker. Though they both admittedly still have terrible haircuts.

Did anyone catch Wu Tang Clan last night? I'm gonna seek out the highlights at some point but wondering whether it was any good?
I’ve seen them several times in the last decade, and they’re always significanlty less interesting when Method Man isn’t there.

Also, not to harp on about the age thing or anything, but it’s a lot less cool than it was in 1993 for a 60 year old man to be introduced as “the jizzer” (spelling notwithstanding)

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’ve seen them several times in the last decade, and they’re alwasy significanlty less interesting when Method Man isn’t there.

Also, not to harp on about the age thing or anything, but it’s a lot less cool than it was in 1993 for a 60 year old man to be introduced as “the jizzer” (spelling notwithstanding)
I did wonder just who would actually be there, with him being an obvious potential absence that would be a huge loss from the collective. I'll still give it a look assuming it's on iPlayer.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

There definitely does reach a point with rappers and rock stars where it becomes a bit of a joke when they’re performing their tunes. Yes mr billionaire Jay-Z tell me more about hustling on the streets.

Djemba-Djemba

I don’t want my rant to be construed as an attack at the old, per say. It’s an attack at the culturally belligerent. Which just so happens to be a common condition of aging. But Glastonbury named a stage after John Peel (who I’m pretty sure was almost Yewtree’d at one point? Do we notbtalk about that?) because however old he got, he always fervently championed new music and tastes. You can easily be old and cool. Look at Bowie. Jonny Marr is the same age as Morrissey, but one of them is cool, and one of them is a tiresome Tory wanker. Though they both admittedly still have terrible haircuts.

I’ve seen them several times in the last decade, and they’re always significanlty less interesting when Method Man isn’t there.

Yeah I've often wondered about that.

Seems like it's been swept under the carpet.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd have more sympathy for people complaining about a given festival's line up if there weren't so many alternatives to choose from across Europe every single year. If you don't like hip-hop acts at Glastonbury then opt for one of the plethora of dedicated rock festivals instead. Most of which are cheaper than Glastonbury and in a nicer location too. Yeesh.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I love The Cure, especially the old fat emo version of Robert Smith

Woodzy

I'd have more sympathy for people complaining about a given festival's line up if there weren't so many alternatives to choose from across Europe every single year. If you don't like hip-hop acts at Glastonbury then opt for one of the plethora of dedicated rock festivals instead. Most of which are cheaper than Glastonbury and in a nicer location too. Yeesh.
Glastonbury is a trickier one because there's usually nothing announced when tickets go on sale. You could end up with a pile of wank headlining or a once in a lifetime headliner. I was lucky that I got to see Rolling Stones and The Who the two times I went (and not to mention Lionel Richie).

This year would have disappointed me massively if I had committed to buying tickets.