g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Music Glastonbury 2023

Superunknown

Not a massive Foos fan, but watching them squeeze all the hits into an hour long set right now is unreal fun.
Watching this now. It's great!

I (probably like many people) was really into them up until the In Your Honour phase. The energy and writing doesn't feel quite the same from then onwards. Fecking loved The Colour and the Shape, which is still great.

Ludens the Red

Here we go…
I admire him. Playing music from his iMac, randomly pressing buttons on his keyboard and turning the volume up and down and he’s booked second to last on the second stage at Glastonbury. I respect it.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Think there's a bit more to it than just hitting the play button, pal.
It's such a pathetic take, there are many many ways to make music and believe me none of it is easy, never mind making music that others want to actually listen too.

BTW not watched the guy in question, just hate the above attitude.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
:lol: What is unreal about this? He’s a dj… only instrument is a keyboard. No singer. There’s no skill to what he’s doing.
I see discussing this with you would be utterly pointless.

Superunknown

It's such a pathetic take, there are many many ways to make music and believe me none of it is easy, never mind making music that others want to actually listen too.

I agree 100% with all of that.

We need an rvn

He’s definitely not your conventional artist, and I’d rather listen to the sound abba for an hour than any of this Fred’s music.

but there’s obviously a market for it and there must be some very decent talent there to get to where he is…but I do agree seeing him and his mate press a button on their macs and then what looks like random presses on a modern drum set just doesn’t do it for me. It looks too pre-set up it you know what I mean, but still respect the talent, just not my thing

personally the star of the show so far has been Lauren Mayberry and the churches, beautiful voice and loved how she flogged off the sweaty nipple patches thing

Ludens the Red

Think there's a bit more to it than just hitting the play button, pal.

I see discussing this with you would be utterly pointless.
Sorry lads but it’s a nonsense as “live music or contemporary arts”. I appreciate it could be fun, people knowing the words, drunk and in the sun. If I was in a club and I heard those songs I’d think “that’s alright” and dance along to it. I read he writes songs too, that’s a talent.
But it’s a nonsense as far as having it second to last - second stage Glasto as some sort of live spectical. It is a guy playing music from an iMac, it cannot be dressed up as anything else. Yea he’s very good at playing music from an iMac but he’s still just playing music from an iMac.

Zebs

Sorry lads but it’s a nonsense as “live music or contemporary arts”. I appreciate it could be fun, people knowing the words, drunk and in the sun. If I was in a club and I heard those songs I’d think “that’s alright” and dance along to it. I read he writes songs too, that’s a talent.
But it’s a nonsense as far as having it second to last - second stage Glasto as some sort of live spectical. It is a guy playing music from an iMac, it cannot be dressed up as anything else. Yea he’s very good at playing music from an iMac but he’s still just playing music from an iMac.
You're entitled to your opinion. You're wrong. But you're entitled to be wrong.

And you're speaking to someone who goes to hundreds of gigs every year, with 90% of those being guitar bands, who did once think much like you do now.

Take some time to watch this and tell me again that he has no talent.

Zebs

Speaking of talent, how fecking good are Sparks :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Fair enough put like that, yeah I can see where your coming from.

RedNome

Aye, and I guess someone like DJ Shadow just spins some discs?

RedNome

So what can we expect from the Arctics tonight? Reckon he's gonna crawl out of his arse to give us a proper Glasto set?

We need an rvn

And you're speaking to someone who goes to hundreds of gigs every year, with 90% of those being guitar bands, who did once think much like you do now.

I am no fan of his music nor did I enjoy the first two songs of his set.

but watching the first two minutes of that link was fascinating.

That still doesn’t mean I think he should be late on stage at Glastonbury as from what I saw he reset a song on the mac, start whatever he saved prior to that and walked over and started tapping a modern drum kit at random.

It’s art and perspective, is it ‘live’ when you can perfect and save your work and click a button…not sure.Anyway churches were great and you got to see her take her nipple covering off as she said she was too sweaty…

Ludens the Red

Wouldn’t say that blew me away but at least it offers some insight. His quirky ness makes it quite intriguing to watch. Do I think what he’s doing is “special”, probably not. He’s good at mixing things together yes, but there was hardly a deep range to his piano playing. He also didn’t actually just do that on stage.
I echo what @We need an rvn said.. he was basically playing his finished product through an iMac into speakers. It’s the equivalent of Arctic Monkeys going on stage now and sticking AM on Spotify and plugging the speakers in.
I like all types of music but I can call out insignificant live performances when I see them. I hate when grime artists go on stage and play their songs on the speaker whilst shouting random words through the mic. Fred again is insignificant as a live performer, because his music isn’t really live. There is no significant skill involved in what he just did, period.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Surprising opener for Arctic. Monkeys

they usually start with Brainstorm this tour

mitChley

Surprising opener for Arctic. Monkeys

they usually start with Brainstorm this tour
I wonder if they were easing Alex's voice into it.

They played A Certain Romance as an opener when we saw them view weeks back, amazing.

Zebs

His voice is struggling already.

RedNome

Why does he have to fecking croon all the old stuff?

Does my head in.

RedNome

Can he not sing in time anymore? At all?