Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Wonder if there are still any idiot posters here will come out to defend Glazers and Ed.. they invest in the club, running the club well, good owners, bla bla....
He'll have more time to post on all of his accounts in the near future.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I know a lot of people wanted him to go but losing him in the middle of pandemic with few key sponsor negotiations still pending is bit worrying. We don't want finances to completely crumble and hopefully we get past this.

Hopefully Glazers sell to someone better

Withnail

I know a lot of people wanted him to go but losing him in the middle of pandemic with few key sponsor negotiations still pending is bit worrying. We don't want finances to completely crumble and hopefully we get past this.

Hopefully Glazers sell to someone better
He's staying on till the end of the year.

Wilbursaurus

This might all be a blessing in disguise. We might finally get our club back. Woodward down, now the harder part, the Glazers.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Completely spot on.
I disagree on one point and that's they did know what the reaction would be and tried to force it through because I think they're that far removed from reality and them having money makes them dangerous. Because they can go into any culture and have zero respect for it but the financial power makes a difference. Other then that I agree

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Even if we get rid of the Glazers, I think the new owners will probably bin Ole. What people think about this?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As much as everyone was celebrating Woodward resigning (leaving ag the end of 2021), he was just carrying out the plans of the Glazers who are a much bigger problem.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Negotiations never took place for Batistuta so it's a moot point. But if they had taken place, then Fergie would've been involved in the negotiation process which is my point.
Sir Alex wanted Batistuta but Edwards refused to bring him in as his salary demands would smash our wage structure. If you think that Sir Alex did what he wanted then you should think again. We're talking about a man who was close of leaving United at least twice before he actually left. In one occasion Edwards refused to give SAF the salary increase he wanted and Graham came to the rescue by sending Sir Alex a copy of his contract that proved that the salary increase Sir Alex was asking wasn't ridiculous.

To suggest that CEOs are yes men to managers border to the ridiculous. Its also strange how you can keep on defending this disgraced CEO despite the parody of mistakes he made throughout the past 7-8 years. Woodward's tenure had been tragic. We fired not one but 2 managers after previously giving them contract extensions, the salary bill went to the roof (second highest in the EPL) United spent 900m on mostly tripe, OT is a mess and now thanks to SL our reputation is in tatters. The guy's response of being taken for a ride by agents/clubs was to hire someone with a similar CV to negotiate with clubs on his behalf. How stupid is that? Meanwhile it took him years to find a DOF only to turn up with, well, someone who was already a staff member.

I applaud Woodward's financial acumen although for most part it did hurt us (ie he was the financial brain behind the Glazer's hostile takeover). Football wise though, he's been an utter mess. No wonder why everyone apart maybe your good self is celebrating his departure.

Last edited:

devilish

No Hazard
No Lucas
No Benzema
No Tevez
No Sneijder
No Modric
No David Silva
No Aguero

Don’t talk to us about well run ship. The owners need to go and stop bigging up CEO’s who ran for them. I mean Ed atleast spent the money.
As said the Glazers allowed their loyal man to hold his job despite an endless list of mistakes. That doesn't play well in their favour. They also kept taking dividends at a time when very few clubs would do so. Having said that Sir Alex did endorsed them and its also true that they allowed 900m to be spent on the club. Therefore there's a very small chance that the club would fare better if we had a half decent CEO instead of donkey.

hungrywing

As much as everyone was celebrating Woodward resigning (leaving ag the end of 2021), he was just carrying out the plans of the Glazers who are a much bigger problem.
Extremely unlikely based on what's been seen of their interaction/Woodward's actions/Glazer-spawn actions.

As explained in earlier posts, the Glazer/Woodward relationship is almost certainly a Godfather's children/Consigliere relationship. The Glazer spawn are all proven failures/incompetents with their empire-building father being the only competent one.

This latest snafu is almost certainly a product of Woodward and his JP Morgan bosses/handlers (the 'real' owners of the club, btw) trying to rope the Glazer spawn into this new affair, with Woodlouse 'convincing' Joel and pouring sweet nothings into his ear that he'd be the head honcho and 'taking the next step towards being his father' and JG who has been trying to 'grow into his fathers shoes' countering with 'if it doesn't work out how you say, then you'll walk, right?'

TL; DR the Woodward-as-Glazer-puppet thing is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY WRONG and one of the many regrettable things to be routinely posted on redcafe. The Glazer children are the dumbest 'rich kids' you met while at university. Papa Glazer was that charismatic kid who could always get his way. Woodward is the poor-but-smart kid who always got in with the 'in crowd'. Woodward is/was NEVER the Glazer childrens' puppet. If anything, he was their puppet-master, with a blind-eye turned towards him by Glazer Sr., who knew his kids were all idiots and lost without guidance.

Meh, as long as we have good owner I won't care. But that's easier said than done.
What constitutes a good owner?

No one is spending £3bn (or big part thereof) on a vanity project, or a play thing. If spending big money to be an influential shareholder, the owners are going to want to get a return on their investment.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Still think there is zero chance the glazers are going anywhere. And even if they do there replacement is unlikely to be any better as how many people with good intentions have around 2 billion hanging around to buy a club.

Still maybe Woodward’s replacement may be a bit more clues up in the football world and we won’t get quite as many awful contracts on the books.

Lynty

what have the Glazers done wrong?

this is not supportive of the Glazers, but a leveraged buyout and paying the shareholders dividends in normal in business. They have spent more on transfers than almost any other club, we have one of the biggest wage bills, and they have increased Revenues Massively.

I’m no fan of them - but they’ve not done anything to justify forcing them to sell up.

Again not supporting them, but there’s a massive chance that anyone who can afford £3bn (or whatever the club is worth) would be worse. No one is paying that money for a plaything, they will want to profit from their investment.
I'm talking about a shake up of club ownership across the board to prevent this ever happening again.

I sort of shared your view until 3 days ago.

They've now played their hand, something they had obviously been working towards since the beginning. These insidious worms weren't content to leech our club and leave it there, they were ring leaders of a coup on football.

It showed utter disregard to the players, fans, the sport as a whole and bought the club into disrepute. Its gross misconduct and requires punishment.

I still think domestic lesgues should dock 20 points off all the 6 right now to prevent qualification to Champions League as financial punishment.

I'm talking about a shake up of club ownership across the board to prevent this ever happening again.

I sort of shared your view until 3 days ago.

They've now played their hand, something they had obviously been working towards since the beginning. These insidious worms weren't content to leech our club and leave it there, they were ring leaders of a coup on football.

It showed utter disregard to the players, fans, the sport as a whole and bought the club into disrepute. Its gross misconduct and requires punishment.

I still think domestic lesgues should dock 20 points off all the 6 right now to prevent qualification to Champions League as financial punishment.
I just don’t see how you can do it.

Look at other owners, and they’ve invested in the playing squad and the stadium. FSG, spurs, City (massively developed the area) and Chelsea.

someone had to own the club. Some owners are shit, look at Mike Ashley at Newcastle. A % of owners businesses have poor owners - it will always be this way.

I suppose what I’m saying is, on what bases would it be justified to have prevented them buying the club in the first place? What criteria didn’t they meet?

these aren’t questions I expect someone to answer by the way - just my musings.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sir Alex wanted Batistuta but Edwards refused to bring him in as his salary demands would smash our wage structure. If you think that Sir Alex did what he wanted then you should think again. We're talking about a man who was close of leaving United at least twice before he actually left. In one occasion Edwards refused to give SAF the salary increase he wanted and Graham came to the rescue by sending Sir Alex a copy of his contract that proved that the salary increase Sir Alex was asking wasn't ridiculous.

To suggest that CEOs are yes men to managers border to the ridiculous. Its also strange how you can keep on defending this disgraced CEO despite the parody of mistakes he made throughout the past 7-8 years. Woodward's tenure had been tragic. We fired not one but 2 managers after previously giving them contract extensions, the salary bill went to the roof (second highest in the EPL) United spent 900m on mostly tripe, OT is a mess and now thanks to SL our reputation is in tatters. The guy's response of being taken for a ride by agents/clubs was to hire someone with a similar CV to negotiate with clubs on his behalf. How stupid is that? Meanwhile it took him years to find a DOF only to turn up with, well, someone who was already a staff member.

I applaud Woodward's financial acumen although for most part it did hurt us (ie he was the financial brain behind the Glazer's hostile takeover). Football wise though, he's been an utter mess. No wonder why everyone apart maybe your good self is celebrating his departure.
Once again you've moved the goal posts. Edwards of course had the power of veto like the Glazer's have had the power of veto above all else including David Gill and Woodward. But the point I was making is that when it came to the actual negotiations, Fergie played a key role and even negotiated on his own in the presence of rival club hierarchy as mentioned in my earlier post which referred to Fergie negotiating the Andy Cole/Keith Gillespie deal with Newcastle.

Loon

:lol:
Whilst I'm utterly delighted to see the back of the Lidl Hislop, I can only feel he's paid the price for following Glazier orders: make as much money out of our "investment."

A screw too far.

devilish

Once again you've moved the goal posts. Edwards of course had the power of veto like the Glazer's have had the power of veto above all else including David Gill and Woodward. But the point I was making is that when it came to the actual negotiations, Fergie played a key role and even negotiated on his own in the presence of rival club hierarchy as mentioned in my earlier post which referred to Fergie negotiating the Andy Cole/Keith Gillespie deal with Newcastle.
He played a significant role in persuading players to sign with us. He also made sure that each youth talent is well taken care off. In fact he was proud that none of our academy kids had ever left United without a job. That was a major selling point for United. However the buck stopped there. Everything huge money related was done by the money men. Gill was more cooperative them Edwards was but he was no yes man

Sing you a song

One down. Now to keep the pressure on these parasites. Let's get the glazers out
My fear is that united is now so expensive it can’t be bought as a plaything or a trophy purchase for rich Arabs ( city for eg was a fraction of the cost ) therefore it will need to be investors again and with a multi billion purchase cost they will be looking for a massive return on their money . Please tell me I’m wrong

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He played a significant role in persuading players to sign with us. He also made sure that each youth talent is well taken care off. In fact he was proud that none of our academy kids had ever left United without a job. That was a major selling point for United. However the buck stopped there. Everything huge money related was done by the money men. Gill was more cooperative them Edwards was but he was no yes man
Gill was a yes man and towed the Glazer line after lying to the fans about ohis disapproval of the leverage take over. He constantly lied and wasn't involved in ratifying the deals which was the job of the owners who did that. Gill was a non footballing chief executive who rode of Fergie's success.

Lee565

I hope the fans capitalize on the glazers showing a glimpse of vulnerability for once and really ramp up the pressure and go for their throats and get them out. Forget all this tripe we have heard before from the supposed true reds and ole saying we shouldn't bring a bad atmosphere to the club that might affect the players performances in the odd game here and there, no screw that, the glazers are the ones that have created a bad atmosphere at this club for years, not the fans that are seeing their club and it's great history milked to death by a group of greedy bastards that only care about one thing at the club and that is the money it can make them.

Loon

:lol:
Gill was a yes man and towed the Glazer line after lying to the fans about ohis disapproval of the leverage take over. He constantly lied and wasn't involved in ratifying the deals which was the job of the owners who did that. Gill was a non footballing chief executive who rode of Fergie's success.
For a man not given to holding back his opinions, Fergie seemed to speak very highly of Gill.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He didnt lie about his disapproval

devilish

According to Sir Alex the Glazers are

" I am comfortable with the Glazer situation. They have been great," he said. "They have always backed me whenever I have asked them. I have never faced any opposition. They have always been as sensible as they can be in terms of financing the club. They have to invest in the team to maintain the value of their asset. I think there are a whole lot of factions at United that think they own the club. They will always be contentious about whoever owns the club, and that's the way it's always been.

When the Glazers took over here there was dissatisfaction, so there have always been pockets of supporters who have their views. But I think the majority of real fans will look at it realistically and say it's not affecting the team. We've won four championships since they've been there, one European Cup."

Meanwhile he said the following about Gill

"David has been a magnificent chief executive. Of course we have had a million arguments, but I have always enjoyed them because I know that David has two great qualities – he is straight and he always puts Manchester United first. No disagreement is ever personal with him. He always wants the best for United, whether it’s the players, the training ground or the staff.

“Him stepping down is a big loss to me but the fact he is staying on the board encourages me that the reason for his departure is heartfelt – that he believes it is time for the club to move on.

“If I could have found a way of persuading him to stay I would love to have done that. But he has made his decision and I respect him for it. He has been and will continue to be a fantastic success for Manchester United. He has all the qualities of successful people engrained in him: energy, honesty, integrity, personality and decision-making ability. I wish him well in whatever new challenges he will tackle in the future.”

I am not suggesting that Gill was perfect. His 'value signing policy' crippled us and in terms of sponsorships I think Woodward is better then this guy. However we had 4 managers in 8 years after Woodward, two of which were given contract extensions few months before getting sacked. The club's reputation is in tatters, OT is a mess, our salary bill was allowed to spiral out of control and United spent 900m with so little to show for. We're talking about a guy who compared United to an adult version of disney land, who couldn't bother treating the likes of Rio and Evra with respect and he took ages to discover that agents/clubs were taking him on a ride only to hire someone with a similar CV to his to negotiate with clubs/agents on his behalf. This all happened under his watch. No wonder why everyone from fans right to former players are celebrating his departure.

AneRu

Extremely unlikely based on what's been seen of their interaction/Woodward's actions/Glazer-spawn actions.

As explained in earlier posts, the Glazer/Woodward relationship is almost certainly a Godfather's children/Consigliere relationship. The Glazer spawn are all proven failures/incompetents with their empire-building father being the only competent one.

This latest snafu is almost certainly a product of Woodward and his JP Morgan bosses/handlers (the 'real' owners of the club, btw) trying to rope the Glazer spawn into this new affair, with Woodlouse 'convincing' Joel and pouring sweet nothings into his ear that he'd be the head honcho and 'taking the next step towards being his father' and JG who has been trying to 'grow into his fathers shoes' countering with 'if it doesn't work out how you say, then you'll walk, right?'

TL; DR the Woodward-as-Glazer-puppet thing is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY WRONG and one of the many regrettable things to be routinely posted on redcafe. The Glazer children are the dumbest 'rich kids' you met while at university. Papa Glazer was that charismatic kid who could always get his way. Woodward is the poor-but-smart kid who always got in with the 'in crowd'. Woodward is/was NEVER the Glazer childrens' puppet. If anything, he was their puppet-master, with a blind-eye turned towards him by Glazer Sr., who knew his kids were all idiots and lost without guidance.
You could be right, certainly Woodward and the dead old man always looked like the ones who had any idea of what they wanted to do with the club going forward. The Glazer kids are in disarray and beyond Avram and Joel the rest would rather cash in. With Woodward gone I just don't see how they rest will keep it together.