Global Warming

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A desperate final attempt type method to correct global warming, should be funded to increase our understanding of atmospheric physics with exhaustive data sets but obviously far back in the list of priorities for the near future (especially in relation with decarbonization):

A lot of the Global Warming -> Ice Age trigger arguments (including the thermohaline circulation shout down of the Gulf Stream) are misconceived, to be fair.

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/pubs/Seager_etal_QJ_2002.pdf

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/
I think we’re fast approaching the point where drastic geo-engineering will need to come into focus.

As weird as it sounds to dust the sky with sulfur...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A desperate final attempt type method to correct global warming, should be funded to increase our understanding of atmospheric physics with exhaustive data sets but obviously far back in the list of priorities for the near future (especially in relation with decarbonization):

A lot of the Global Warming -> Ice Age trigger arguments (including the thermohaline circulation shout down of the Gulf Stream) are misconceived, to be fair.

Is it known how would less intense light impact crop growth (and other things like sleep cycles, etc)?

Silva

Not more than dramatic climate change, necessarily. If it's a that or nothing situation, we'll go with that.
The reason global warming is bad is because it's causing a mass extinction event and causing a radical (in the bad way) change to regional resource availability. This will have the same effects. It's the kind of action you take to avoid a runaway greenhouse effect which is unlikely to take place.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The reason global warming is bad is because it's causing a mass extinction event and causing a radical (in the bad way) change to regional resource availability. This will have the same effects. It's the kind of action you take to avoid a runaway greenhouse effect which is unlikely to take place.
Obviously they won't do it in the first place if it's clearly as bad or worse. And while we probably won't get a runaway greenhouse effect, it's still a process that gets far worse the longer we fail to properly respond. Exposing plants and wildlife to poor conditions for a while might be a good solution if the end result is that the warming stops or is reversed. We're not going to turn into Venus in the next few hundred million years, but the worst case scenarios are still damned bad.

Sb_16

No one I know talks about it, knows about it or even cares. Sometimes I feel like this is all in my head, a paranoia. It is impacting my life decisions and I'm confused whether or not to follow the social norm. I feel like a doom monger and maybe even foolish to some. Can't talk openly about it as well cause people will think its another excuse to refuse to move on with life.

Are there any reports or forecast about how different countries or regions will be affected?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
[QUOTE="Sb_16, post: 23329684, member: 78226"

Are there any reports or forecast about how different countries or regions will be affected?[/QUOTE]
Did you read the US focused article on the previous page?

Sb_16

[QUOTE="Sb_16, post: 23329684, member: 78226"

Are there any reports or forecast about how different countries or regions will be affected?
Did you read the US focused article on the previous page?
I did, I'm not in the US though. Anything on the south Asian region?

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Very cool

https://www.eenews.net/eedaily/2018/11/27/stories/1060107385
Manchin likely to lead panel Dems if Cantwell leaves slot
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) is emerging as the leading candidate to take over as the Energy and Natural Resources Committee's ranking member if Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) decides to leave the post.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ck-clears-hurdle-despite-opposition-from-dems

Bernard McNamee, Energy Department official who played a role in Energy Secretary’s Rick Perry’s ill-fated plan to bail out coal and nuclear plants, is set to join the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the agency that oversees U.S. electricity markets. The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on Tuesday voted 13-10 to approve his appointment, sending the nomination to the full Senate for confirmation. Senator Joe Manchin, from West Virginia, was the sole Democrat who voted in favor.

The vote comes after a recently surfaced video showed McNamee championing the continued use of fossil fuels and criticizing renewable energy and environmental groups.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I think it's about time to start discussing climate change deniers with real power as mass murderers.
I'd go even further and massively restrict cattle farming and fishing laws too. Promote ethical and responsible farming practices and put money towards helping new business get off the ground.

Imposing serious penalties for poachers and illegal logging and deforestation.

feck em all. If cnuts like the Kardashians can make millions from being moronic soulless feckwits then people can find alternative ways to earn money without raping our natural resources or killing endangered species.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him

What does @BringNaniBack think of this?
Thanks for informing me of this thread @Moby .....

Oh looks like yet another subject I created a thread/post about is either confirmed as true or on the verge of being confirmed i.e. chemtrails/geoengineering which is the same concept as that which is mentioned in the Twitter link above.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
In responce to the amount of Carbon dioxide increase...

'There are both natural and human sources of carbon dioxide emissions. Natural sources include decomposition, ocean release and respiration. Human sources come from activities like cement production, deforestation as well as the burning of fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas'

Maybe they should stop cutting down all the trees. Perhaps these treehuggers down the years knew something we didn't but one thing you learn is regardless of the risk, when there is money involved, they would rather screw the poor then actually do what is obvious.

Deforestation by humans is causing all of these necessary functions to be lessened, and hence damaging the atmosphere even further. ... It is estimated that more than 1.5 billion tons of carbon dioxide are released to the atmosphere due to deforestation, mainly the cutting and burning of forests, every year.

Which party is fighting hard to save the trees/plants? Then regulate big corporations ..which won't happen :). So, really how terrified are those screaming about this? (I mean that are in power). Do people think all the radiation from WI FI is good for ...animals AND humans? But where is the voice to say slow down with all the radiation in the atmosphere. What do people think WI Fi is? We are further down a path and either screwed or not. We are not seeing a slow down. All we see are people trying to scare others and this is all agenda 21/30 which was written before most people probably even heard of climate change...global warming...etc

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
What the everlasting feck are you talking about?

You managed to pack an impressive amount of independently stupid things into that word salad of a post. WI-FI? fecking hell.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Looking around as I walked the dogs today, most of the vehicles that passed me were SUVs of various sizes. In that small sampling I’d say it was about 80-20, SUVs to cars.
Made me think that most people here don’t care about the environment.

And, you should see the size of some of the pickup trucks. They’re huge compared to the older ones.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Looking around as I walked the dogs today, most of the vehicles that passed me were SUVs of various sizes. In that small sampling I’d say it was about 80-20, SUVs to cars.

And, you should see the size of some of the pickup trucks. They’re huge compared to the older ones.
Most of them will have had one person in them as well. Very efficient way of transporting a person weighing about 80 kg.

It's the same here in South Korea. They bloody love their SUVs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Where do you live? Can't remember the last time I saw a SUV in Birmingham or London.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think we’re fast approaching the point where drastic geo-engineering will need to come into focus.

As weird as it sounds to dust the sky with sulfur...
Wow, the human race really is ingenious. And also a bunch of cnuts.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Thanks for informing me of this thread @Moby .....

Oh looks like yet another subject I created a thread/post about is either confirmed as true or on the verge of being confirmed i.e. chemtrails/geoengineering which is the same concept as that which is mentioned in the Twitter link above.
:rolleyes:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Most of them will have had one person in them as well. Very efficient way of transporting a person weighing about 80 kg.

It's the same here in South Korea. They bloody love their SUVs.
They're Americans so more like 120 kgs, and the guys are bigger. ;)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Just the whole geoengineering thing. So very clever, but really an example of the wrong way to do things.
There’s no ‘wrong’ way to save the planet, assuming it’s a last resort and what we have wrought is irreversible due to positive feedback mechanisms.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So guys, any good source on the climate change effects? Or that explains in layman's terms what will happen if we don't do anything?