Global Warming

Cal?

CR7 fan
Doubling down, eh; how does all that sand feel around your head?
There isn't that much that can be done when the government doesn't want to act.

As ridiculous as it sounds, here in Hong Kong, there is NO POINT at all to try to sort your rubbish into different recycling bins. The government provides bins for paper, plastic, cans etc like the rest of the developed world, but everything ends up in landfills anyway.

It's just not cost effective to recycle (mainly due to the land prices in HK).

I'm not sure what the people can do...

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Is it really?

Personally I think we're doomed and we might as well enjoy the last few years.
what sort of logic with that?

You think someone with kids or younger siblings should think like that? It's logic like yours that's leaving us completely f*cked.

"well.. it's a bit difficult to do, isn't it? So what's the damn point."

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

As ridiculous as it sounds, here in Hong Kong, there is NO POINT at all to try to sort your rubbish into different recycling bins. The government provides bins for paper, plastic, cans etc like the rest of the developed world, but everything ends up in landfills anyway.

There are plenty of things people can do to reduce their carbon footprint without relying on their Government.

For a start, don't eat beef.

Cal?

CR7 fan
what sort of logic with that?

You think someone with kids or younger siblings should think like that? It's logic like yours that's leaving us completely f*cked.

"well.. it's a bit difficult to do, isn't it? So what's the damn point."
One of the main reason that I'm not consider having kids is because I think we are doomed.

It's not about it being difficult or not, just that the human race collectively will not solve the problem in time.
I can't tell if you're just winding me up or if you really believe that. If you do, you're wrong and you should being wrong.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I read that the IPCC report was too optimistic and it doesn't take into account among other things methane leaking into the atmosphere. The 12 years deadline is near enough but now its beyond crazy. Whatever the timescale, we are doomed, isn't it? We aren't changing our ways completely such instantly.

Please recommend good scientists to follow for climate information. How's Peter Wadhams?
Methane leakage is difficult to model. There's probably far more in the US from old gas transmission infrastructure than we admit, for instance.

And the methane release from the thawing tundra of Canada and Siberia and the positive feedback loop it feeds is frightening.

caid

I think were doomed too. Been quite depressed about the whole thing for a couple of months. I dont think its too late, I just think humans collectively suck and wont make the changes needed.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

A fair enough perspective considering where you are. A hyper competitive society like HK means you'd need government to force compliance because people aren't going to sacrifice advantages to prosperity now for the sake of something that will benefit them later. In HK someone else would use what you're forgoing.

But, we should. I saw good news story today about the ozone layer's recovery. We can make things better but it takes time and significant change.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Two articles I came across today

David Attenborough has betrayed the living world he loves
By downplaying our environmental crisis, the presenter’s BBC films have generated complacency, confusion and ignorance
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...8NNhH-FVChffISKCuu3X9fW3HRASyVNd85AmupVGI4W9E

Current CaCO3 dissolution at the seafloor caused by anthropogenic CO2
We report an observation-based indication and quantification of significant CaCO3 dissolution at the seafloor caused by man-made CO2. This dissolution is already occurring at various locations in the deep ocean, particularly in the northern Atlantic and near the Southern Ocean, where the bottom waters are young and rich in anthropogenic CO2.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2...mr-6CojNUpOylH0p836T8IHh6AeLtfJpRqlz0P1OYFSgA

It's kind of daft and hilarious, but on our second or third date my partner and I talked about how we'd feel guilty bringing children into the world at the moment. Then I see someone on Facebook I know has just had their 5th child...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Two articles I came across today

David Attenborough has betrayed the living world he loves
By downplaying our environmental crisis, the presenter’s BBC films have generated complacency, confusion and ignorance
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...8NNhH-FVChffISKCuu3X9fW3HRASyVNd85AmupVGI4W9E

Current CaCO3 dissolution at the seafloor caused by anthropogenic CO2
We report an observation-based indication and quantification of significant CaCO3 dissolution at the seafloor caused by man-made CO2. This dissolution is already occurring at various locations in the deep ocean, particularly in the northern Atlantic and near the Southern Ocean, where the bottom waters are young and rich in anthropogenic CO2.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2...mr-6CojNUpOylH0p836T8IHh6AeLtfJpRqlz0P1OYFSgA

It's kind of daft and hilarious, but on our second or third date my partner and I talked about how we'd feel guilty bringing children into the world at the moment. Then I see someone on Facebook I know has just had their 5th child...
Irish parents?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
State of ye :D

Irish parents yes, very successful and very much employed though. They started young. I can't imagine it myself - even if I wanted kids, I'd never want that many. As it stands, I don't like the world they'd be brought into.
Ha! Thought so. Tbh I was just curious if we knew someone mutual as one of my friends has just had her 5th. But she’s kiwi and he’s Irish

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I think it's getting rarer, but in my family all the generation above mine had four kids each. Stereotype proven out.
A lot rarer, I think the average per couple is 2.1 now which is amazingly still the highest in the EU.

the richer a country gets the less babies have, this is the way of the world. Europe is going to have severe problems in the next 30-40 years because there won't be enough young people to cope with all the old people and their pensions.

Revan

Assumptionman
A lot rarer, I think the average per couple is 2.1 now which is amazingly still the highest in the EU.

the richer a country gets the less babies have, this is the way of the world. Europe is going to have severe problems in the next 30-40 years because there won't be enough young people to cope with all the old people and their pensions.
A combination of automation and migration should solve that problem.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
A combination of automation and migration should solve that problem.
I think it's much more likely that our generation won't be able to retire until we are much, much older than the current retirement age.

Plus we'll also all be dead cause global warming and shit innit.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Was going to put this in recommended long-form reads, but here’s a Reuter’s special on the impacts of climate change on oceans and the people that rely on them. Best viewed on a tablet or PC because there’s some great images.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/ocean-shock-warming/

Spoiler alert: Oceans are all going to hell, with some assistance from big business. And, just like with other effects from climate change, poorer regions in places like Africa and SE Asia will suffer disproportionately.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yea, climate change is a better term than global warming. That's because the outworking, the ultimate long term consequences of this warming may not be fully understood (like for instance, could it trigger a new Ice Age, disruption of ocean currents, etc), but they mean one thing for sure, climate change, influenced by human activity.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yea, climate change is a better term than global warming. That's because the outworking, the ultimate long term consequences of this warming may not be fully understood (like for instance, could it trigger a new Ice Age, disruption of ocean currents, etc), but they mean one thing for sure, climate change, influenced by human activity.
It's definitely not fully understood, but I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting it could trigger a new Ice Age. If anything it's going to keep the next one from happening. Though technically we are already in the middle of an Ice Age, and worst case scenario is we take ourselves right out of that one as well (meaning no permanent Glazers. which would suck for a whole lot of different reasons).

Tarrou

It's definitely not fully understood, but I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting it could trigger a new Ice Age. If anything it's going to keep the next one from happening. Though technically we are already in the middle of an Ice Age, and worst case scenario is we take ourselves right out of that one as well (meaning no permanent Glazers. which would suck for a whole lot of different reasons).
I've read a few articles suggesting it could trigger an ice age, due to disrupting ocean currents or something.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Right wingers are a threat to our existence.
Given the state of the planet I'd say that none of the rest of us are helping much either tbh.

The drastic severity of the need to do something isn't being matched by people with the right ideas forcefully taking over and making us stop destroying the planet at the rate we're doing, nothing short of it is required sadly and that's never going to happen so we're doomed unless we magically find a way to get to another planet in short order.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
A desperate final attempt type method to correct global warming, should be funded to increase our understanding of atmospheric physics with exhaustive data sets but obviously far back in the list of priorities for the near future (especially in relation with decarbonization):
I've read a few articles suggesting it could trigger an ice age, due to disrupting ocean currents or something.
A lot of the Global Warming -> Ice Age trigger arguments (including the thermohaline circulation shout down of the Gulf Stream) are misconceived, to be fair.

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/pubs/Seager_etal_QJ_2002.pdf
The Gulf Stream and future climate change
A slowdown of the Gulf Stream and ocean circulation in the future, induced by freshening of the waters caused by anthropogenic climate change (via melting Glazers and increased water vapor transport into high latitudes) or simply by warming, would thus introduce a modest cooling tendency. This would leave the temperature contrast across the Atlantic unchanged and not plunge Europe back into the ice age or anything like it. In fact the cooling tendency would probably be overwhelmed by the direct radiatively-driven warming by rising greenhouse gases.

Moving beyond the myth
It is long time that the Gulf Stream-European climate myth was resigned to the graveyard of defunct misconceptions along with the Earth being flat and the sun going around the Earth. In its place we need serious assessments of how changes in ocean circulation will impact climate change and a new look at the problem of abrupt climate change that gives the tropical climate system and the atmosphere their due as the primary drivers of regional climates around the world.
http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
(Who’s decision was it to release that report on the day after Thanksgiving, when people’s minds are usually elsewhere?)

Doesn’t paint a good picture. There needs to be a concerted effort worldwide but I fear that the tribal and greedy nature of humans will make this worse.
The migrations we’re seeing now are nothing compared to what’ll follow.