"Glory Hunters"

sunama

Baghdad Bob
weirdly a lot of the people defending Jose use the “but he wins trophies defence” and say things like they don’t care how he does it as long as he wins trophies. Sounds like a glory hunter to me.
So, anybody who wants their club to win games/trophies, is a glory hunter? By this reasoning, the best fan, who is not a glory hunter, is one who wants his club to lose every match? :wenger:

Getting back to reality: glory hunters tend not to stick around clubs finishing 7th-4th-5th-6th. If a glory hunter is still lurking, then they aren't doing a very good job and probably can't claim the are a glory hunter.

Jaybomb

“Boring Mourinho” was winning every game 3 or 4-0 not long ago. Funny how quickly people forget that.

Smores

The idea that we don't have a significant number of glory hunters on here is a bit of a stretch to be honest.

People start supporting for plenty of reasons, if glory was the motive then you're going to be more critical and disheartened with whats happened to us.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I'm personally not calling anyone a gloryhunter, but you specifically wrote that 'gloryhunters would be dickriding Guardiola' and I was just pointing out that that does happen pretty frequently on here. You've then moved the goalposts and started writing about something that I never said anyway.

It's also lazy to say that everyone that wanted to give Mourinho a chance are 'the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years'. Just a lazy untruth. In fact, one of the most vocal anti-Mourinho posters on here was also one of the most pro-LVG.
Now you just said something I didnt say as well, goes easily doesnt it. I said to show that giving everyone and everything all the time in the world doesnt make you a good fan or isnt benefitial to the club per se. Nothing to do with Mourinho.

Borden

“Boring Mourinho” was winning every game 3 or 4-0 not long ago. Funny how quickly people forget that.
Maybe people haven’t forgotten, but didn’t stare blindly at the scorelines, and thought the performances behind them for the most part weren’t all that convincing?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that too many supporters are driven by emotions these days. If our team win 2-3 games 3-0 then we're off to win the treble. If we lose against Huddersfield then we're crap.

The truth lies in the middle. We're not serious EPL title contenders yet but we're heading towards the right direction to that.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Started supporting United as a boy, with vivid memories of Cantona doing his thing. Dad's a Chelsea fan, my brothers are Liverpool and Arsenal. Never really followed football (or any sport tbh) religiously though.

It was actually post Fergie - when we really struggled - I began following every bit of news and watching every single game.

If you wanna justify having Jose's shit on the end of your nose, knock yourself out. But don't give other supporters shit for having their own vision for the team (pun extremely intended).

Andersons Dietician

So, anybody who wants their club to win games/trophies, is a glory hunter? By this reasoning, the best fan, who is not a glory hunter, is one who wants his club to lose every match? :wenger:

Getting back to reality: glory hunters tend not to stick around clubs finishing 7th-4th-5th-6th. If a glory hunter is still lurking, then they aren't doing a very good job and probably can't claim the are a glory hunter.
True so why does this thread exist other than for people to make themselves seem like top reds.

For me good football and trophies tend to go hand in hand. If you’re the superior side playing in a manner of an elite team eventually the trophies will come. Obviously it’s not going to be easy as there is so much competition, however We are fortunate enough that we are one of the most powerful and prestigious teams in the world so bar 2 teams if we want a player we should be able to make it happen.

I’d just rather not sacrifice the values of a the club and sell my soul so a merc who has no loyalty to the club can win a trophy.

Decomposing In Paris

Basically @Decomposing In Paris your last line about recommending teams to others makes it seem like you’re saying people should just start supporting another team if they are unhappy.
I clearly failed to communicate then. That last line was a bit of a joke, and was supposed to say that if anyone actually prefers being unhappy, that I could recommend a few clubs that would make them really miserable to support.

GloryHunter07

Growing up in the 90's I heard this term quite a lot. I'm a third generation United supporter, so I never took it too personally.

Then the oil money arrived in the Premier League, and there was that term again, this time aimed at Chelsea & City supporters.

When Ferguson retired we got Moyes, but so many of the players remained. Then there was Van Gaal, who was a lunatic, but (at least for me, while he was here) he was our lunatic. Now we've got Jose, who won 2 trophies in his first season... but apparently they weren't the right type of trophies. He's now won 3/3 Champions League games (2 away), lost 1 game and quite a few of you are fed up. He doesn't use our current injury list as an excuse, but our injury list (if fit) would beat some teams on their own, and it's the longest in the league.

Some of you guys need to take a moment, and contemplate if you are really a Manchester United supporter. You may find that rather than being a United fan, that you're actually a fan of great players, or attractive football... there's no shame in that. Life is short, be happy.

P.S. If like some people, you are actually happy being unhappy, I could recommend a few other teams that will make you very unhappy/happy indeed ;)
You rang?

Rusholme Ruffian

Now you just said something I didnt say as well, goes easily doesnt it.
eh, what? You wrote:

It has nothing to do with gloryhunting, this is just a thread for the "moral fans" to shown what "topreds" they are because they give everything and everyone time and never criticise anything.

They were the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years, my word, that'd be a disaster.

How horrible :( Poor Mourinho
I find it hard to take the views of someone who thinks that supporting a team involves slating the manager before he's even started at the club seriously. Because if you genuinely did put the good of the club first you would be pleased to see it being pulled out of the doldrums that it has been in for the last 4 years. You would enjoy seeing us top of our champions league group. You would have enjoyed watching us win the Europa League last season. And that doesn't mean that you cannot criticise in those situations, but I literally have never seen you write one positive thing on here - which says to me that you cannot actually enjoy United again until the manager goes....which is an odd state of play for a 'supporter'...?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
There are lots on here that get some sort of moral satisfaction from football. For example, calling someone cowardly over football tactics, or talk of how big clubs 'should' play one way, or about how fans have a right to be entertained.

Traditions no longer exist in football; its simply a way to get more money from you. Convince a fan that their club is morally superior and they'll empty their wallet for you. Its a bit like how religious authorities guilt trip you to give them money. You feel like you are being a good person and they are laughing their way to the bank.

Plato

Rereading the OP again, what a weird thread. Basically the gist of your post is "if you're unhappy supporting United, stop supporting them because life is too short to be unhappy".

Has your dog just died or something?

Sammyjunn

eh, what? You wrote:

I find it hard to take the views of someone who thinks that supporting a team involves slating the manager before he's even started at the club seriously. Because if you genuinely did put the good of the club first you would be pleased to see it being pulled out of the doldrums that it has been in for the last 4 years. You would enjoy seeing us top of our champions league group. You would have enjoyed watching us win the Europa League last season. And that doesn't mean that you cannot criticise in those situations, but I literally have never seen you write one positive thing on here - which says to me that you cannot actually enjoy United again until the manager goes....which is an odd state of play for a 'supporter'...?
Where did I ever mention Mourinho? Please just read the post.

I am talking about the quite large group of fans who feel they are superior just because they never criticise something or someone and want to give anyone and anything all the time in the world.

RedDevil@84

So we are fine with all the glory hunters around the world making Utd a big brand and be in a position to buy top players without sugar daddy money. But then when the so called glory hunters criticize the team, then you start becoming a not pure Utd supporter. Most of the fans want Utd to do well.
I remember the so called pure fans calling for Utd to drop matches so that LvG or Moyes get the sack earlier. So lets not climb on moral high horses and look down on others.
If there were no glory hunters, Utd or any other team would not have got supporters from all around the world. I have argued (in other threads) against people who are slating Mourinho or individual players for last 3 matches, but don't think all those critics are some lesser fans than others.

Andersons Dietician

There are lots on here that get some sort of moral satisfaction from football. For example, calling someone cowardly over football tactics, or talk of how big clubs 'should' play one way, or about how fans have a right to be entertained.

Traditions no longer exist in football; its simply a way to get more money from you. Convince a fan that their club is morally superior and they'll empty their wallet for you. Its a bit like how religious authorities guilt trip you to give them money. You feel like you are being a good person and they are laughing their way to the bank.
Teams like United,Real and Barca wouldn’t be what they are if there wasn’t any romanticism involved.

I don’t think Real would be regarded as highly as they are if they didn’t win all those trophies in a certain way. Same for Peps Barca. United wouldn’t have as big a global fan base if they played in a poor style yet had won the same trophies.

The reason these clubs are spoken about with such high regard is because of the way they got themselves there.

Rusholme Ruffian

Where did I ever mention Mourinho? Please just read the post.
So when you wrote:

"It has nothing to do with gloryhunting, this is just a thread for the "moral fans" to shown what "topreds" they are because they give everything and everyone time and never criticise anything.

They were the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years, my word, that'd be a disaster."

you weren't referring to people defending Mourinho? Pull the other one!

Sammyjunn

So when you wrote:

"It has nothing to do with gloryhunting, this is just a thread for the "moral fans" to shown what "topreds" they are because they give everything and everyone time and never criticise anything.

They were the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years, my word, that'd be a disaster."

you weren't referring to people defending Mourinho? Pull the other one!
No, it goes to all kinds of topics. Like people who want to take your head off for criticising Lindelof just because he is new, or saying van Gaal should got all the time just because he needs a rebuild, or people that still want to give Shaw more time just because he got injured at a point for example. I am not entirely happy with Mourinho myself but I know he has the ability to get it right, but he needs to make steps this season that is for sure.

Rusholme Ruffian

No, it goes to all kinds of topics. Like people who want to take your head off for criticising Lindelof just because he is new, or saying van Gaal should got all the time just because he needs a rebuild, or people that still want to give Shaw more time just because he got injured at a point for example. I am not entirely happy with Mourinho myself but I know he has the ability to get it right, but he needs to make steps this season that is for sure.
Yeah, I know you were talking about a wide range of areas, but surely you were including the biggest topic of criticism - Mourinho? Anyway, feck it, let's not argue about this any more!

Sammyjunn

Yeah, I know you were talking about a wide range of areas, but surely you were including the biggest topic of criticism - Mourinho? Anyway, feck it, let's not argue about this any more!
I dont think the criticism on Mou is that huge, he is being criticised for his negative set ups and poor tactics the last few games but only the people that didnt want him here in the first place are calling for his head too. But even that has got nothing to do with gloryhunting.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
First of all, the frustration from many people on here stems form the fact that this result has been coming; even going back the the Everton game. Yes, we won 4-0, but it was a very flattering result. I'm not saying we should have lost the game exactly, but the scoreline did not reflect the game at all.

Then we have the Liverpool game where the result was ok, but the performance (especially in an attacking sense) was terrible. The Benfica game was just a continuation of this.

Obviously, these poor performances culminated in a very poor result on the weekend, and the frustration that has been bubbling amongst many people came to the fore on Saturday. Obviously there are some that go a little over the top, but a lot of the criticism towards Jose is valid.

Most notably, the criticism levelled at him for his poor record away in the big games is hard to disagree with, even for the Mournhio acolytes among us. Of course, anyone calling for his head is obviously talking nonsense; but lets not lump everyone together.

So when you start to condescend people and question whether they should be supporting the club, just because they seem a little riled up, remember that the reason that they get so riled up is because they care. Some go a little crazy, but they care nonetheless. If they didn't, then they wouldn't spend so much time on here venting their spleen.

And the notion that Jose doesn't use injuries as an excuse is a false one. He may not come out and explicitly say "we lost toady because of our inquires", but he talks about them often. Not saying he's right or wrong to do so (we do have many injuries), but he does indeed like to remind everyone that he has them.

Rusholme Ruffian

I dont think the criticism on Mou is that huge, he is being criticised for his negative set ups and poor tactics the last few games but only the people that didnt want him here in the first place are calling for his head too. But even that has got nothing to do with gloryhunting.
Good grief, you and I must be reading different forums!

And I haven't mentioned gloryhunters on this thread, only in relation to you saying that gloryhunters would be sucking Guardiola off. I certainly wouldn't say that the overtly anti-Mourinho people are glory hunters.

Seveneric

I'm honestly surprised people still manage to make these kinds of threads without cringing and eyerolling at themselves.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Repeatedly coming out and telling everyone you don't use injuries as an excuse, doesn't really count as not using injuries as an excuse. Doubly so when after drawing a game 0-0 you literally use injuries as an excuse for not going for the win...

Also not sure what that has to do with glory hunting or otherwise. Not many Premiership club football forums about where you'll find a lack of complaining after a defeat to Huddersfield.

People like when their team wins, and don't like when their team loses. Generally how it works.

Sammyjunn

Good grief, you and I must be reading different forums!

And I haven't mentioned gloryhunters on this thread, only in relation to you saying that gloryhunters would be sucking Guardiola off. I certainly wouldn't say that the overtly anti-Mourinho people are glory hunters.
Before Liverpool there were people who were so far up his ***** that they believed he could win the CL with us this season, I havent seen a lot of people wanting him out to be honest.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This threads usually end in the discussion who is a "bigger red" so don't take them too seriously. Being a fan is something very personal, arguing and explaining it, ends up being very childish.

Don't agree with many opinions here but mainly don't question their support or think you can draw a straight line there. Being spoilt is something that really does get on my tits though and I consider it far wider than disagreement about Mourinho's brand of football or some knee-jerk reaction after the game.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Some of you guys need to take a moment, and contemplate if you are really a Manchester United supporter. You may find that rather than being a United fan, that you're actually a fan of great players, or attractive football... there's no shame in that. Life is short, be happy.
Is it possible to be a Manchester United fan rather than a supporter. Which is to say MUFC is your chosen club because of the great players and attractive football, not because your dad said so or some other tribal totem. Is it possible that one group is not morally superior to the other?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
People here were slaughtering us as well during these 0-0 draws.
IMO we were playing 'better' football last season. And that had to do with Zlatan's playmaking which made our passing in the middle much more fluid.

I think this season we are playing more direct and efficient than last season.

When it comes to entertainment, last season was quite entertaining (but also frustrating) up until we won the league cup.

Rusholme Ruffian

Before Liverpool there were people who were so far up his ***** that they believed he could win the CL with us this season, I havent seen a lot of people wanting him out to be honest.
I'm not sure where to start with this? So someone who thinks we have a chance at winning the CL is 'up Mourinho's arse'? That just sounds like typical football fans overrating their own club's chances to be honest. Also, what is wrong with a bit of positivity?! It's a cup competition and as such we have a punchers chance. And whilst you may not have seen many people overtly saying 'sack Mourinho' the subtext is pretty obvious in a lot of other people's posts - are you seriously saying that you've seen more people saying that we can win the CL than you have being hugely critical of him? like I say, you and I must be looking at different forums - just have a scan through the current thread titles and it will give you a feel...

Rusholme Ruffian

Is it possible to be a Manchester United fan rather than a supporter. Which is to say MUFC is your chosen club because of the great players and attractive football, not because your dad said so or some other tribal totem. Is it possible that one group is not morally superior to the other?
Hmm, this is a tough one. Clearly nobody is 'morally' superior to anyone else, but personally speaking, on a Manchester United forum I have a lot more time for people who have a die hard passion for the club that goes beyond players and playing style as oppose to people who choose to follow the club because they like a certain player, or enjoy watching us along with various other clubs who play nice football across Europe.

Sammyjunn

I'm not sure where to start with this? So someone who thinks we have a chance at winning the CL is 'up Mourinho's arse'? That just sounds like typical football fans overrating their own club's chances to be honest. Also, what is wrong with a bit of positivity?! It's a cup competition and as such we have a punchers chance. And whilst you may not have seen many people overtly saying 'sack Mourinho' the subtext is pretty obvious in a lot of other people's posts - are you seriously saying that you've seen more people saying that we can win the CL than you have being hugely critical of him? like I say, you and I must be looking at different forums - just have a scan through the current thread titles and it will give you a feel...
How much of the criticism is unwarranted? The we are going to win the league, we can win the CL was very cringeworthy imo. It came just after we crushed the mighty ''Burton'', there are just a lot of fans here who are fickle and change opinion after every match. Now there is some criticism, beat Spurs and Mourinho is better than SAF ever was.