"Glory Hunters"

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's the other way around imho. If you're not moaning about your club you're not a true fan. Having a good moan about our shite performance during my lunch break on monday is the high light of my work week. I'm not worshipping a prophet, I'm rooting for a football club and if something isn't going my way I'm going to throw a tantrum and demand the coach will be fired the board will be replaced and all underperforming players will be ritually sacrificed in my name.

Rusholme Ruffian

How much of the criticism is unwarranted? The we are going to win the league, we can win the CL was very cringeworthy imo. It came just after we crushed the mighty ''Burton'', there are just a lot of fans here who are fickle and change opinion after every match. Now there is some criticism, beat Spurs and Mourinho is better than SAF ever was.
There is no comparison between the two. We're football fans, we're supposed to get a little giddy when the team is doing well - you act like it's a bad thing. 'Now there is some criticism' must win the prize for the biggest understatement of the year!

Marcky411

I’d actually think the people we see now defending him so ferociously were the people calling for LVG’s head by Christmas because Jose was available so they could install their favourite.
Fully agree, LvG had to go as soon as Mourinho became available, his football was a borefest, terrible out of date football,side to side and no penetration in the final third, all valid points and a reason to let him go. In his second season LvG had an even taller injurylist and tried his best to do what he could with the team at his disposal. He gave many a youngster their first taste of first team football due to the fact he didn't have enough first team players to put on the field.
Now that Mourinho has come, spent a small fortune, got rid of all the players he didn't want and is now giving us the same frustrating borefest LvG gave us, we must appreciate it because Mourinho is the one dishing it out. Now that people are expressing their disappointment, many can't accept that and you see post reactions of, you don't understand football, chill out, you are a gloriehunter and god alone knows what, because Mourinho is a winner and we should all be happy with the sixth place in the league last season.
I must say I was very excited by some of the football played in the first couple of games this season but all of a sudden we have done a 180 degree and are back to the LvG tactics and that worries me because he takes no responsibility for these performances and is very quick to throw the team under the bus.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
There is no comparison between the two. We're football fans, we're supposed to get a little giddy when the team is doing well - you act like it's a bad thing. 'Now there is some criticism' must win the prize for the biggest understatement of the year!
Thats just a lazy generalization, we arent RAWJ. There are plenty United fans who can stay objective and critically analyse what's going on, if there are some who actually thought we'd challenge for CL just because we brushed past Burton or Basel, then deary me.

Rusholme Ruffian

Thats just a lazy generalization, we arent RAWJ. There are plenty United fans who can stay objective and critically analyse what's going on, if there are some who actually thought we'd challenge for CL just because we brushed past Burton or Basel, then deary me.
To be honest I think the example just highlights the fact that you come at things from a particularly negative perspective.

el3mel

IMO we were playing 'better' football last season. And that had to do with Zlatan's playmaking which made our passing in the middle much more fluid.

I think this season we are playing more direct and efficient than last season.

When it comes to entertainment, last season was quite entertaining (but also frustrating) up until we won the league cup.
Zlatan and Lukaku are bringing much different qualities to the team that I think the switch between this season when the later returns will be somewhat difficult for their teammates. Lukaku prefers to always stay at the top pressing the forward line, running the channels and providing a target for his teammates but doesn't share much in the buildup. Zlatan was about dropping deep, sharing in building the attack and help the team progress further in the pitch by his playmaking roles but he wasn't present up top much and sometimes we missed having a target upfront. Very 2 different strikers.

That's why I'm starting to somewhat be inclined to try Zlatan as a number 10 behind Lukaku, but we'll need to surround him with faster players to compensate for his lack of pace ( so no Mata ). Zlatan will drop deep as he likes and share Pogba in the build up while we have 3 runners upfront for receiving the ball. He has enough physicality to not lose possession every time as Mikhi and he can put some nice passes. Him missing easy chances won't be a big of a problem with Lukaku in front of him.

If we don't sing Ozil during January, Zlatan maybe a nice stop gap in this position for the rest of the season.

Also agree that we were entertaining last summer till League Cup final. After Zlatan got his suspension, followed by his injury and our system falls apart completely.

LoneStar

I love and support United because it is they are the only team which truly resonate with me. I just don't care much about other teams, even if they play fancy football and have better players.

But that doesn't mean I can't criticise the manager. I am a Jose fan and was absolutely happy that we got him. However, I am not entirely happy with our progress so far. However I think it's the players that have to be blamed for the last 2 matches. The pool match was on Jose.

The point being that criticising a club/manager is not equivalent to being a glory hunter. Some on here do hate Jose for no reason, but even then, they hate Jose, not the club.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
People were criticising him before he'd even got his feet under the table! Some people made it clear that they never wanted him in the first place and would never be happy with him at the club. And unsurprisingly they are the ones all over the forum at the moment struggling to hide their glee.
You sound deranged. You seriously think that people with differing opinions on Jose from yours are "struggling to hide their glee"? They are still Utd fans you know.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I am a glory hunter and that is why I support Manchester United. I have no shame in admitting that.

That's how it started... now I am into the club but if United were relegated I would support another PL club because I have to watch the PL as well. Live is short. I love winning/attacking football.

The worst kind of people are those that support crap teams just to be different prove they aren't glory hunters. Had someone at work that day deciding who they wanted to support to get into the PL. People advised him on support New Castle or Everton so he doesn't seem like a glory hunter. How sad!

Rusholme Ruffian

You sound deranged. You seriously think that people with differing opinions on Jose from yours are "struggling to hide their glee"? They are still Utd fans you know.
yes, that's exactly what I said isn't it :rolleyes: ...jeez, I'm starting to think there ought to be a reading and comprehension test on here before people can join.

Read what I wrote again and see if you can work out where you went wrong:

"People were criticising him before he'd even got his feet under the table! Some people made it clear that they never wanted him in the first place and would never be happy with him at the club. And unsurprisingly they are the ones all over the forum at the moment struggling to hide their glee."

Sammyjunn

To be honest I think the example just highlights the fact that you come at things from a particularly negative perspective.
Negative and realistic isnt the same, most of the times when I was "negative" and most of the caf were hosanna, the result tended out to more of the things what I was being "negative"/realistic about than all the hosanna and were going to win the league. From van Gaal's 352, to Rooney's decline, Falcao failing, our defence being better than our attack for years, the false dawn in van Gaal's second season, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Pogba not being world class, Mourinho not challenging for the title last year and so on. You may call me negative or may call me a moaner but sadly the things I keep being "negative" about is exactly what is happening since SAF left, I honestly wish I get proven wrong but things are so clear to see if you put off the red-tinted specs.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I am a glory hunter and that is why I support Manchester United. I have no shame in admitting that.

That's how it started... now I am into the club but if United were relegated I would support another PL club because I have to watch the PL as well. Live is short. I love winning/attacking football.

The worst kind of people are those that support crap teams just to be different prove they aren't glory hunters. Had someone at work that day deciding who they wanted to support to get into the PL. People advised him on support New Castle or Everton so he doesn't seem like a glory hunter. How sad!
That's one honest, but baffling post.

So, since Newcastle, Everton and crap teams don't go into consideration, if United somehow gets relegated, who would you support in the PL? Spurs, City, Arsenal? I mean they are rivals, don't know how you can put that aside.

el3mel

Hey, I must admire your honesty here. No one will have the courage to say that even if he's a masterclass glory hunter. :lol:

shamans

That's one honest, but baffling post.

So, since Newcastle, Everton and crap teams don't go into consideration, if United somehow gets relegated, who would you support in the PL? Spurs, City, Arsenal? I mean they are rivals, don't know how you can put that aside.
To be very honest I would support a different team each game or like if it was a 2 way race between Chelsea and Liverpool would choose Chelsea. I would watch more La Liga.

Rusholme Ruffian

Negative and realistic isnt the same, most of the times when I was "negative" and most of the caf were hosanna, the result tended out to more of the things what I was being "negative"/realistic about than all the hosanna and were going to win the league. From van Gaal's 352, to Rooney's decline, Falcao failing, our defence being better than our attack for years, the false dawn in van Gaal's second season, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Pogba not being world class, Mourinho not challenging for the title last year and so on. You may call me negative or may call me a moaner but sadly the things I keep being "negative" about is exactly what is happening since SAF left, I honestly wish I get proven wrong but things are so clear to see if you put off the red-tinted specs.
Mate, all of that is fine - I'm not telling you how you should be - but no need to think badly of people who take a more positive/hopeful view of things. At least they are spreading a positive and hopeful vibe around the place - they are in no way comparable with people that are calling for the managers head already. I have literally no beef with people who are unhappy with the last couple of games and/or that make constructive criticism, it's the ceaseless, remorseless sniping, whining and criticising even when things are going OK that gets me down.

Sammyjunn

Mate, all of that is fine - I'm not telling you how you should be - but no need to think badly of people who take a more positive/hopeful view of things. At least they are spreading a positive and hopeful vibe around the place - they are in no way comparable with people that are calling for the managers head already. I have literally no beef with people who are unhappy with the last couple of games and/or that make constructive criticism, it's the ceaseless, remorseless sniping, whining and criticising even when things are going OK that gets me down.
Nor do I have a problem with people who do think everything is great and positive, I find it problematic when they think that makes them better fans or he others glory hunters in this case.
Think we agree on that one.

Rusholme Ruffian

Nor do I have a problem with people who do think everything is great and positive, I find it problematic when they think that makes them better fans or he others glory hunters in this case.
I certainly agree that being hyper critical (or having a pre-existing grudge against Mourinho) does not make you a glory hunter. In terms of being 'better fans', that's always a thorny issue but there is a huge breadth of 'fans' on here - one guy on this very thread admits he wouldn't support United anymore if we were relegated - so I do think it's a mistake to think that everyone is as 'good' a fan as everyone else. All opinions are equal in the sense that everyone is entitled to theirs - and in that sense on a forum all opinions are given an equal billing - but it doesn't mean that all opinions are equally valid.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's the other way around imho. If you're not moaning about your club you're not a true fan. Having a good moan about our shite performance during my lunch break on monday is the high light of my work week. I'm not worshipping a prophet, I'm rooting for a football club and if something isn't going my way I'm going to throw a tantrum and demand the coach will be fired the board will be replaced and all underperforming players will be ritually sacrificed in my name.
:) Good post. Every supporter I've known in real life has some of this in them, including me. You only get the 'I'm a bigger fan than you' geezers on the internet where they can be anonymous. In a pub the thread starter would be roundly told to feck off, and rightly so.

whatwha

yes, that's exactly what I said isn't it :rolleyes: ...jeez, I'm starting to think there ought to be a reading and comprehension test on here before people can join.

Read what I wrote again and see if you can work out where you went wrong:

"People were criticising him before he'd even got his feet under the table! Some people made it clear that they never wanted him in the first place and would never be happy with him at the club. And unsurprisingly they are the ones all over the forum at the moment struggling to hide their glee."
As far as I can tell, you believe certain people are happy to see Jose struggle.

whatwha

:) Good post. Every supporter I've known in real life has some of this in them, including me. You only get the 'I'm a bigger fan than you' geezers on the internet where they can be anonymous. In a pub the thread starter would be roundly told to feck off, and rightly so.
OP should relocate to /r/reddevils, they fecking love to take some sort of moral high ground to appear as top reds there.

Decomposing In Paris

I don't think anyone in their right mind would believe that refusing to acknowledge problems made them a "better fan". We've all had a good laugh at the expense of a few unfortunate souls over at RAWK for that kind of thing.

In the OP I put "Glory Hunters" in quotes. It's not a term I use, and I find the reactive "Top Red" argument bizarre. I've been accused of condescension, which may be fair, I was aiming more in the direction of whimsy. I just don't get why we of all clubs, with our romantic history, can't dream a little. The only thing most of the people on this forum have in common is that we love this club (for whatever reason). The constant negativity from some posters, and their irritation at anyone promoting the positives... is, well, not very fun.

So much of life is about how the story is told. I think we could tell it a little better than we tend to do.

Instead of "mega rich club buy world's most expensive player but still fall short of league objectives, despite picking up a few second class cups"
Could we have "Prodical son makes hero's return as rich club show that roots are more important than money. The young man plays his part in restoring the pride of the wounded giant, winning two trophies, and returning them to their rightful place, as a jewel in the crown of Europe."

Instead of "We're boring"
What about "When we're fit & on it, we can keep almost any team out".

Instead of "Jose's too cowardly to play Rashford and Martial together"
Maybe "If one doesn't get you the other one will".

Liverpool supporters are supposed to be the ones telling us that we're crap. Let's not do their job for them... we'd be responsible for yet more unemployment on Merseyside!

Now, some of that is ridiculously flowery and over the top... but it's a bit of fun. Football should be fun, and talking about football should be fun. I wouldn't suggest this approach to Brexit or negotiations with North Korea.

The performances against Liverpool was poor, and the one against Huddersfield awful... but that was days ago. Bailey might actually eat Harry Kane on the morning of the Spurs game.

Sammyjunn

I don't think anyone in their right mind would believe that refusing to acknowledge problems made them a "better fan". We've all had a good laugh at the expense of a few unfortunate souls over at RAWK for that kind of thing.

In the OP I put "Glory Hunters" in quotes. It's not a term I use, and I find the reactive "Top Red" argument bizarre. I've been accused of condescension, which may be fair, I was aiming more in the direction of whimsy. I just don't get why we of all clubs, with our romantic history, can't dream a little. The only thing most of the people on this forum have in common is that we love this club (for whatever reason). The constant negativity from some posters, and their irritation at anyone promoting the positives... is, well, not very fun.

So much of life is about how the story is told. I think we could tell it a little better than we tend to do.

Instead of "mega rich club buy world's most expensive player but still fall short of league objectives, despite picking up a few second class cups"
Could we have "Prodical son makes hero's return as rich club show that roots are more important than money. The young man plays his part in restoring the pride of the wounded giant, winning two trophies, and returning them to their rightful place, as a jewel in the crown of Europe."

Instead of "We're boring"
What about "When we're fit & on it, we can keep almost any team out".

Instead of "Jose's too cowardly to play Rashford and Martial together"
Maybe "If one doesn't get you the other one will".

Liverpool supporters are supposed to be the ones telling us that we're crap. Let's not do their job for them... we'd be responsible for yet more unemployment on Merseyside!

Now, some of that is ridiculously flowery and over the top... but it's a bit of fun. Football should be fun, and talking about football should be fun. I wouldn't suggest this approach to Brexit or negotiations with North Korea.

The performances against Liverpool was poor, and the one against Huddersfield awful... but that was days ago. Bailey might actually eat Harry Kane on the morning of the Spurs game.
That is a nice approach to have it that's how you experience football, and some might share that sentiment with you and that'd be fair. I myself am not so dreamy and discuss the things, flaws but also the good things I see objectively, whilst being in love with United. I dont think there's anything wrong with that either.

Jim Beam

To be very honest I would support a different team each game or like if it was a 2 way race between Chelsea and Liverpool would choose Chelsea. I would watch more La Liga.
Ok, was just being curious since you've been so straightforward. Can't say I fully understand the concept, but as el3mel said you are at least very honest about it.

shamans

Ok, was just being curious since you've been so straightforward. Can't say I fully understand the concept, but as el3mel said you are at least very honest about it.
If United were relegated I would lose interest because I would expect us to win every match and there would be nothing to look forward to - being promoted? I can't be the only one who thinks this. I would still support United but only through the news until they're back in the PL.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If United were relegated I would lose interest because I would expect us to win every match and there would be nothing to look forward to - being promoted? I can't be the only one who thinks this. I would still support United but only through the news until they're back in the PL.
Maybe not the best example as the Docherty revolution was a tremendously exciting time to be a United fan, even though we were relegated the transformation to a winning but incredibly youthful side was electric. I actually look back on those seasons more fondly than some when we won the title.

MoskvaRed

We just lost to a newly promoted side on the back of an extremely negative performance at Anfield. Meanwhile, our neighbours are playing great football, as are Spurs with a fraction of our budget. This is on the back of 4 seasons of underachievement. Understandably, there is a negative reaction, whether over the top or not.

Mourinho still has credit in the bank due to both his track record and the progress made under his leadership to date but asking questions is perfectly valid. The same gloryhunter stuff was thrown around back in 2013/2014 when we appointed a Championship level manager who proceeded to turn us into a joke.

Jim Beam

Well, yeah, you would be looking forward to United being promoted. Also, the atmosphere would be rocking, especially in away games, I think. That will never go away, which is enough for me. The team you followed practically your whole life is there, you can't erase it.

Don't know. Can only speak for me. As I am older, barely even watch other football matches so I really don't consider myself a football fan anymore. People who enjoy and watch a lot of football might have similar thoughts as you.

pacifictheme

Same, this thread doesnt make much sense anyway.

Gloryhunters would be dickriding Guardiola on the moment and not have umpteen discussions about United.

I am actually more United fan now since we're doing bad than I was when we were the best team in England and the world.
I disagree. In the uk united fans always get called glory supporters. I would guess that some of the people here are glory supporters, but having been called so for so long, are reluctant to prove people right, so continue to "support" (moan constantly about) united.

I agree with you though in that i feel more strongly about united than i did 5 years ago. It baffles me really! I only made an account on here during rhe moyes era.

Oscie

The problem is that if someone grew up in the early 90s and identified as a United fan because, aged 7, it was the cultural zeitgeist even though they live 200 miles away, surely deciding aged 18 "Actually I'll now start supporting X now", would make them more of a wanker than someone who just continued supporting United?

Never fully understood why someone gives a shiny shite who supports who and what their reasons are. It's all a bit playgroundy, isn't it?

"Oh you support Arsenal. How long? Because I've been an Arsenal fan for 20 years, so if we asked an independent person he'd probably verify I'm more of a fan than you and I live 9 miles nearer to the stadium, so definitely if there was a hierarchy, I'd be above you"

Unless you're 11, feck off with that. Who can be doing with it?

Is it a male thing? Like the drips who think it matters who got into a band you both like first? Men do that don't they? It's definitely a male thing. Star Wars arguments. Unless you've been to every convention since 1988 and have the limited edition Princess Layla doll circa 1993 where she appears to have a left nipple, you've officially NEVER SEEN STAR WARS!!!!

IMO there's a massive 'hide the children' problem with anyone who gives much of a shite who supports who and what their reasons are.

Last edited:

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
I'm personally not calling anyone a gloryhunter
Why not?

"Glory, Glory Man United, Glory,Glory Man United, Glory, Glory, Man United.... and the reds go marching on! on! on!"

Sound familiar?

Its played at half time, every home game, when United leave the pitch, what's wrong with a bit of Glory.. "20 times , 20 times Man United..."

Martin(6)Buchan

I started supporting United not because of what they had won or were winning it was because of the Scottish players we had at the time, and being Scottish that was the reason United attracted them to me as a kid ( Leeds being a close second again because of the Scottish players...Sorry ! lol ) Infact we only won the likes of the FA Cup and got relegated as well but times change and alot of younger people know nothing but success through Sir Alex's time and it upsets them when they see the likes of Chelsea and City being successful. United has always had a good crowd and I find it just funny looking at Chelsea who nearly went bankrupt and City whos stadium which is never full and their supporters coming out of the wood work. Enough rambling........

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There are also pretentious reds, that simply can't enjoy football, they always find things to complain 24/7 even after winning 4-0.

Somehow they think that if they're being critical they're a level above the commoners who's simply happy we won.

For them unless we produce a bunch of world class youth, spending no money, top of the league, managed by british manager, playing 442, and attacking non stop we're shit. And they dare say trophy didn't matter because hey.. They're not glory hunter.

/sarcasm off

minoo-utd

Heard this word alot as I'm not a local fan, but I dare I'm more passionate more than so many locals, and when the club has such big fan base every where then this word should not be accomplished, I pay for shirts every season with my local currency I pay to watch United as example through T.V and pay big, and sometimes I complain and moan too of course because I want the best for the club I support, so GLORY HUNTER some still call me because I'm just no local supporter.

beingshe7don

First of all, the term "glory hunter" is just absurd. Every fan or supporter of any club or team has an expectation that their team doesn't lose or always wins irregardless of the sport. Now with respect to Manchester United, the club is one of the biggest clubs if not the biggest club in the world. The huge fanbase and the revenue they generate is evidence enough to elaborate on the stature that is Manchester United. Now as a supporter of the club for 19 years, I expect the team to win or put in a title challenge year after year and also compete in the champions league. Post Fergie era hasn't been the best for us. However, under Mourinho's tutelage, we've been improving. However, the team has been playing better but not to its best. City have been absolutely ruthless and if we need to be best or win the PL, we should be winning convincingly or at the very least, grinding out those results to keep pace. Now the team fails to do it, we as fans are entitled to expressing our frustration. It's not called being a glory hunter, it's called being a passionate fan. Someone can be classified as a glory hunter if he or she stopped supporting United once Moyes took over and keeps jumping from club to club to support the winners.

It's wrong for us to make a comparison with Ferguson's teams as we do not know how we would have fared. All we know is that Fergie was an amazing motivator and could get the best out of anyone (mostly) while playing fairly attractive football. But to say that Fergie would have done better is an over-statement. Things have changed immensely. The league has gotten difficult. Most teams have strengthened to the extent that we don't have a top 4 to deal with but rather a top 6.

whatwha

Yes I certainly do - it would be naive to think otherwise given that various people have stated that they never wanted him, and will never want him at the club. Do you think that those guys want him to do well and sign a longer contract?
Hence me thinking you sound a little deranged (a bit harsh, apologies). Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension then.

While these people disagree with you on who should be manager, I believe they are United fans first and foremost. Just like you. As such they want United to do well. I seriously doubt they react with joy when we lose just because it will reflect badly on the manager.

There may be times when some fans want us to lose one more game just to get an inevitable sacking over with. Like in the second half of Moyes' season. But that's not the situation we're in with Mourinho.