Go woke, go broke.....

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I just saw a video of Thomas Hitzlsperger and Jake Daniels talking about coming out as gay while being a professional footballer. The comments section was full what I would I assume are the same people decrying woke, whatever it is.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I just saw a video of Thomas Hitzlsperger and Jake Daniels talking about coming out as gay while being a professional footballer. The comments section was full what I would I assume are the same people decrying woke, whatever it is.
They should keep their identity politics out of the game we all love.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't follow these sort of things and even I came across racist yt videos and tweets disguising their racism as book purity. It's just silly to deny it.
Typical. "I don't know anything about that BUT let me teach you something about that exact topic".
I even started typing what is the issue but then i realised that there is no point in it with people like you.
Stay righteous, man. There are still dozens of topics (about which you know nothing and don't care) in which you can teach people what are they doing wrong.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Typical. "I don't know anything about that BUT let me teach you something about that exact topic".
I even started typing what is the issue but then i realised that there is no point in it with people like you.
Stay righteous, man. There are still dozens of topics (about which you know nothing and don't care) in which you can teach people what are they doing wrong.
Of course, you were about to teach me a lesson, buy why bother, right? Not convenient at all.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Exactly. You don’t see straight footballers giving interviews about being straight.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Exactly. You don’t see straight footballers giving interviews about being straight.
I pray that the pair of you make me feel stupid by calling me stupid for taking you seriously.

Happy to be called gullible or dumb here.

You don’t actually believe this hey?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Are you religious?

What race/skin tone was Jesus?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I pray that the pair of you make me feel stupid by calling me stupid for taking you seriously.

I was about to write a serious reply, but to be honest there's no point with people like you.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I was about to write a serious reply, but to be honest there's no point with people like you.
Well I was honestly confused as to whether you were talking about the two players in question, or the people writing comments.

But yeah ‘people like me’ is mad lad.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Well I was honestly confused as to whether you were talking about the two players in question, or the people writing comments.

But yeah ‘people like me’ is mad lad.
Now you're confusing me. I was joking.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I took it too far, my reply was based on this
Sorry, Im way too old for the internet.

My position : Go woke, go broke is a siren call to awful people. Everyone should have space to be their full self. It’s rare that you find a good human objecting to equality.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Eh? Plenty of comics, big and small, think this whole "you can’t joke about anything these days" is idiotic. Bill Burr’s come out and said as much, for example.
Just send videos of Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr to prove the point, those 2 will take the piss out of anything and everything

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well I consider the whole thing the equivalent of feeding a cowpat into a wood chipper , so I suspect the bud sales figure isn’t too accurate
There's a simple reason why the sales are down, it's shit beer, it's made a few miles from me but no one I know drinks it!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
What have they done that is considered “woke”?
In Disney's case they went against DeSantis and his "don't say gay" law, as I understand it it was because their employees were horrified at what the bill actually did

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Disney and Netflix are targeted for a reason. Not by "Christians" how you call it. By anyone who is a fan of good movie, tv show, comedy, book or (as we found out recently) actual historical facts.
So yeah, i am the one who is saying go woke and go broke.
You think the targeting isn’t being done by Christian evangelicals or religion isn’t the major impetus? If so, :lol:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You think the targeting isn’t being done by Christian evangelicals or religion isn’t the major impetus? If so, :lol:
I'd laugh as well but it isn't funny, that people think this way should be concerning for us all!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What have they done that is considered “woke”?
Suggested that legal victimisation of a minority group might be a bad idea? Made Ariel black.

Plus they put LGBTI+ characters in kids films and as we know merely knowing that some people are not heterosexual instantly converts anyone who now knows that. We have proof of this because LGBTI+ people never see heterosexuality being normalised, as if they did they would instantly cease to be LGBTI+. Oh wait .......

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Considering @Andycoleno9 is a very vocal cheerleader for Qatar taking over United, “I literally have zero morale (sic) issues”, it’s then amazing to see he agrees with boycotting Disney.

Cloud7

When I started this thread, I honestly thought that all this bullshit hate and outrage was just bluster and wouldn't put a dent in any of the brands/stores/companies they were attacking.

After seeing the recent In-Bev stocks and seeing how Target have had 12 BILLION knocked off their share value... I'm actually starting to think these hateful, bigoted fecks may be able to do what they say and cripple via boycotting.
I'm quite surprised to read that as well...as I didn't think it was actually possible

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Evangelicals saying they're just cancelling things in a reaction to this "new" cancel culture is one of the more hilarious arguments. Surely religious people aren't new to cancel culture? Just ask 16th century huguenots. Though I suppose they didn't really come after their livelyhood as much as just out right burning them at the stake, but still.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Considering @Andycoleno9 is a very vocal cheerleader for Qatar taking over United, “I literally have zero morale (sic) issues”, it’s then amazing to see he agrees with boycotting Disney.
Hilarious if true :lol:

There are reasons to boycott Disney of course, but wokeness is not one of them.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Genuinely surprised to see chick-fil-a on that list.

Feel a little less guilty for enjoying their delicious chicken now.
They have been pivoting for sometime now. I used to work at Starwood resorts back in 2014 and half the team would refuse to eat chick fil-a because of their support for conversion therapy. As early as 2016, chick fil-a started to rehabilitate their image

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ah wait the new little mermaid is black? That does explain why all these non racist historical purists are so mad. An outrage.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Suggested that legal victimisation of a minority group might be a bad idea? Made Ariel black.

Plus they put LGBTI+ characters in kids films and as we know merely knowing that some people are not heterosexual instantly converts anyone who now knows that. We have proof of this because LGBTI+ people never see heterosexuality being normalised, as if they did they would instantly cease to be LGBTI+. Oh wait .......
Yea I was hoping to get an explanation from the outraged dude who tried to say his reasons were not bigoted :lol:

They have been pivoting for sometime now. I used to work at Starwood resorts back in 2014 and half the team would refuse to eat chick fil-a because of their support for conversion therapy. As early as 2016, chick fil-a started to rehabilitate their image
That’s interesting thanks.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Ah wait the new little mermaid is black? That does explain why all these non racist historical purists are so mad. An outrage.
If only they read the biography of Hans Christian Andersen then they would have known how he imagined Ariel to look like:

... and when that booty got stuck I just knew; I'm into brown sugar, yo!

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

I don’t, but apparently my humor doesn’t translate well :lol:

Disney and Netflix are targeted for a reason. Not by "Christians" how you call it. By anyone who is a fan of good movie, tv show, comedy, book or (as we found out recently) actual historical facts.
So yeah, i am the one who is saying go woke and go broke.
It's not working out then considering Netflix and Disney are literally the two biggest entertainment companies on the planet.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It's also a cynical ploy to increase their revenue and subsequently profit.

I also think it's funny that these companies chase the dollar in this way, and then start moaning when people start boycotting them for this reason. You can't have it both ways.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Evangelicals saying they're just cancelling things in a reaction to this "new" cancel culture is one of the more hilarious arguments. Surely religious people aren't new to cancel culture? Just ask 16th century huguenots. Though I suppose they didn't really come after their livelyhood as much as just out right burning them at the stake, but still.
Shhhhhh. Don’t give them ideas.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It's also a cynical ploy to increase their revenue and subsequently profit.

I also think it's funny that these companies chase the dollar in this way, and then start moaning when people start boycotting them for this reason. You can't have it both ways.

I kind of understand what you're getting at but all most are doing is releasing a one off product wrapped in a rainbow flag, such as Bud Light and Miller Lite did. Showing support for an oppressed community in that way deserves for them to be boycotted and treated the way they are? I don't think so...... That's not right at all.

Why can't these bigoted clowns just look past the rainbow edition and grab the regular product that's on sale.next to it? Why the feck does it bother them so much that they have to not only Tweet and rant about it, but then never buy the product ever again? Worse, call all their friends, family and like minded people to never use the product again?

If it came out that Netflix was ran by people who all dressed like Jimmy Saville and they regularly invited kids to special Jim will fix it parties, then yeah, by all means boycott them. But boycotting companies with such hate and bile so once again making the oppressed and victimized feel bullied and hated once more, sorry, but that's just fecking hateful and evil.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I kind of understand what you're getting at but all most are doing is releasing a one off product wrapped in a rainbow flag, such as Bud Light and Miller Lite did. Showing support for an oppressed community in that way deserves for them to be boycotted and treated the way they are? I don't think so...... That's not right at all.

Why can't these bigoted clowns just look past the rainbow edition and grab the regular product that's on sale.next to it? Why the feck does it bother them so much that they have to not only Tweet and rant about it, but then never buy the product ever again? Worse, call all their friends, family and like minded people to never use the product again?

If it came out that Netflix was ran by people who all dressed like Jimmy Saville and they regularly invited kids to special Jim will fix it parties, then yeah, by all means boycott them. But boycotting companies with such hate and bile so once again making the oppressed and victimized feel bullied and hated once more, sorry, but that's just fecking hateful and evil.
People are free to boycott whatever they want for whatever reason they want, and to be honest, it's pretty irrelevant what you or I think of them boycotting it.

I've boycotted Israeli goods, and companies that sustain and work with the Israeli government for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't take too kindly to someone telling me saying the things your saying (and I'm not saying this is a like for like example, but there's some overlap in terms of the agency I have in where and how I spend my money).

In large parts of the US, they're essentially Christo-fascist states, so it's not really beyond the realms of thinking that they'd boycott this, just as I imagine they'd boycott pro-Palestinian items as it'll go against their Christo-Zionist views, or the deflection and nonsense they spout, or how everything becomes about Marxism when it comes to BLM.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Some guys acting like literature scholars over the little mermaid were absolutely hilarious

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
People are free to boycott whatever they want for whatever reason they want, and to be honest, it's pretty irrelevant what you or I think of them boycotting it.

I've boycotted Israeli goods, and companies that sustain and work with the Israeli government for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't take too kindly to someone telling me saying the things your saying (and I'm not saying this is a like for like example, but there's some overlap in terms of the agency I have in where and how I spend my money).

In large parts of the US, they're essentially Christo-fascist states, so it's not really beyond the realms of thinking that they'd boycott this, just as I imagine they'd boycott pro-Palestinian items as it'll go against their Christo-Zionist views, or the deflection and nonsense they spout, or how everything becomes about Marxism when it comes to BLM.
Of course people can boycott what they want,.but what you and I think may be irrelevant until we join forces with others who are doing the same. That's like saying one vote doesn't matter. It does. It all has to start somewhere, and everyone posting and peddling this hateful boycotting of companies and products are equally complicit and guilty as each other.

It's just a shame, especially in the USA that people can't protest this much about the lack of free health care, or gun control or (and this will resonate with the right, as it's something they are always banging on about) looking after their veterans. Nah, it's easier to play the victim and be hurt by something that you could easily ignore, and to spread hate while constantly attacking others for being hateful.

You honestly couldn't make it up, but sadly it's a reality and my whole point is where is it going to stop? The hate and viciousness is just growing by the day, and the more support they get from the likes of Trump and DeSantis and all the time they see their boycotts working the more they feel they are empowered and doing the right thing. All the while, yet again those that have fought for equality and some just to even be recognized let alone accepted are being made out to be the problem. It's beyond fecking disgusting.

Don't even get me started on the Israeli/Palestinian topic. I stay well clear of that thread as I have no doubt I would be banned if I started to post in there.

Halftrack

It's depressing, really. Can't let people just be who they are and be happy about it, and definitely can't let them be visible, lest a bunch of bigots cry about "politics in my sports/movies/games/reality" and the gay/trans agenda.