Evans v Newcastle
Evra v Newcastle
Evans v Braga
Evra v Arsenal
Evans v QPR
Evra v Swansea
Evans v Newcastle
Evra v Newcastle

WTF is going on? Evra, Evans & Rafa have pretty much matched their previous career totals for the club in just 3 months of this season :lol:

pillory

Has Evra always been in the box for corners, or is that a recent tactical masterstroke by Phelan and the main reason for our newfound corner awesomeness?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rafael's definitely stepped up his attacking side. We always have the CB's getting a few goals though don't we?

Laphroaig

Has Evra always been in the box for corners, or is that a recent tactical masterstroke by Phelan and the main reason for our newfound corner awesomeness?
I suppose Rio staying behind means we can push another defender up. And Evra is a slightly more logical choice than Rafael.

jem

Definitely great to see. Let's hope Evra can keep it up (or more importantly, keep looking like 2008-9 Evra, goals or not.) It's great that all this has happened without any goals from Vidic. Speaking of Nemanja, does he go back into the first 11 when he's healthy? It would seem very harsh on Evans, and Rio has been fantastic this season (with the exception of the Tottenham game.)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think Steve Bruce scored 20 for us one season, although at least half were penalties.

Brightonian

When I was younger and first started to learn about past United teams, I originally assumed Bruce was a striker because I'd seen so many clips of him scoring. I actually used to get him and Hughes mixed up.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Didn't Bruce score like 13 league goals and 19 in total in one season?

Edit: he scored 51 for United :eek:
He took penalties for a couple of seasons.

But he was also great in the box at set pieces. As was Paillister. Also Irwin scored a fair few and even Schmeichel got one too. We scored goals from all areas in the mid 90's

Poor ol Paul Parker :(

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rio hasn't scored in ages. Was unlucky to hit the post against Southampton.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Pallister had a 100% record with free kicks.
:D Good memories of that classic night against Blackburn!

But he was also great in the box at set pieces. As was Paillister. Also Irwin scored a fair few and even Schmeichel got one too. We scored goals from all areas in the mid 90's

He wasnt really - rarely scored. The other post refers to the time we first won the PL, Pally was the only player who hadnt scored that season so they let him take his first ever freekick in the last game of the season and he banged it in!

Bruce and Irwin were regularly on the scoresheet though.

vuc

First Team Serb
I think Vidic should have scored way more goals for United. With his strength in the air it's a real surprise he hasn't scored a lot more. A lot of this has to go down to some dire service from corners/set-pieces over the years.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
When Vidic comes back I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with RVPs crossing prowess from corners. Good to see our defenders scoring. I'd imagine Rafael could be a decent scoring outlet in a few yests

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Vidic should have scored way more goals for United. With his strength in the air it's a real surprise he hasn't scored a lot more. A lot of this has to go down to some dire service from corners/set-pieces over the years.
I think it's more the fact we had nobody taking a half decent corner got years - with rvp around now vidic should be able to attack more confidently.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Phelan's genius masterstroke as ever, I think. Always seem to remember Evra being the lone man back at corners a lot of the time a few years ago when Rio and Vidic went forward. Made sense given his one on one ability and pace, but he genuinely has got the most incredible leap and heading ability for his size.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
:D Good memories of that classic night against Blackburn!

He wasnt really - rarely scored. The other post refers to the time we first won the PL, Pally was the only player who hadnt scored that season so they let him take his first ever freekick in the last game of the season and he banged it in!

Bruce and Irwin were regularly on the scoresheet though.
He did plant two awesome headers against Liverpool at Anfield in 1997. Remember being shocked he got one in a game let alone 2 !

Longlivekeano

Paul Parker topscored for United Veterans in a EPL Masters Tournament in Singapore recently. Others who plaed for us were Rohnny Johnsen ( was class), David May (useless fat bastard now), Clayton Blackmore (still decent) and some goalie whom I had no clue about. Any Cole played upfront, and played like Andy Cole, poor finishing ration, quick, yet still got goals.

Sir Giggs

Not United but anyone remember Paul Warhurst (sp?) for Sheff. Wednesday? Pretty sure he was a centre-half who became such a regular scorer he was then moved up front permanently.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can add Evans v QPR and Evra v Swansea to the OP

Crazy, all down to the improved delivery RVP has brought?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Add two more again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Credits to both Evans and Evra for that goal, Evans in particular, the way he reacted so quickly you would thought he is striker.

Ferguson

Corners, crossing and free kicks have improved with Valencia, Ashley Young, and Van Persie in the fold.

I think our defenders are the beneficiaries.

Obviously, Ronaldo and Nani brought a different dimension from the wings and from set pieces.

Still, considering how exposed Evra and Evans have appeared in defense, one cannot help but wonder if their goal production has come at a cost. Evans loves to get forward and play technical football, as does Evra. But when asked to show defensive discipline against City and Chelsea the defense hasn't seemed as porous.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
just found it :)

'19 Spurs had 19 different goalscorers, the most ever for a club in a single season in the Premier League. Relegated Hull City had 18.'
We still have Rio, Valencia, Giggs, Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Carrick and Young to go. We should be able to get 4 out of those, no problem.

TBH, if Buttner scored 5 is doable.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I don't see how anyone can assume Vidič won't be starting once healthy.
The simple reason should be that he was the best defender in the world before getting injured, the injury only really effecting his pace which he never relied on in the first place, and also the amount of goals we've let in this season.

Contrary to popular belief, even though Vidič this season has yet to play fully healthy our defense is better with him on the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Credits to both Evans and Evra for that goal, Evans in particular, the way he reacted so quickly you would thought he is striker.
Evans was just a lunging tap in.

Evra's was shockingly good, great control, a little shimmy, and lashing in from 20 yards!
:nervous: