Goalkeeper Gloves Size

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Currently, there is no rule dictating goalkeeping equipment beyond that he must wear a color distinguishable from his teammates. A simple rule against oversized gloves might raise scoring without the need to increase the size of the goal (another often suggested tweak to the game).
Keeper gloves are heavily padded, much larger than the size of the keeper's hands, an obvious advantage when it comes to stopping shots.
Reducing glove size is one of the less intrusive changes available that could still have a tangible effect on the entertainment value of the game.
A) Does that mean a goalkeeper could technically wear gloves the size of the whole goal? and (Serious) B) Does the current glove size make it easier to save goals than in previous decades and should it be regulated?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A) Does that mean a goalkeeper could technically wear gloves the size of the whole goal? and (Serious) B) Does the current glove size make it easier to save goals than in previous decades and should it be regulated?
Goalkeepers I have coached tend to prefer a tactile feeling of the ball, meaning they prefer having gloves that fit tighter than usual.

I'd wager that most goalkeepers feel the same.

Also a 'fingertip' save would not be so with an extra bit of padding at the end of the fingertip, as the speed and weight of the ball would push the padding back.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do they still make those fingersave gloves?

I remember buying a pair of Resuch ones (sp) that Big Pete wore. I didn't even play in goal. Legend.

Teffe

Goalkeepers I have coached tend to prefer a tactile feeling of the ball, meaning they prefer having gloves that fit tighter than usual.

Also a 'fingertip' save would not be so with an extra bit of padding at the end of the fingertip, as the speed and weight of the ball would push the padding back.
I personally loved to have "fingersave" gloves. Don't know if thats allowed in bigger leagues? A spine protecting your fingers, but also helpful when saving balls with your fingertips,

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

What if a keeper packed the fingertips with rocks.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Adidas once brought out some gloves that supposedly stopped your fingers from bending back. Could do something similar!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I remember buying a pair of Resuch ones (sp) that Big Pete wore. I didn't even play in goal. Legend.
Man these were class. I also had a pair of the Adidas Response ones that Cech wore around 2008. They were so comfortable and the extra support made keeping much easier.

Years later I bought a pair of the cheapest gloves I could find in Sports Direct to play a 5-a-side game and broke my finger trying to save the first shot. You can't skimp on good gloves.

Edit - Probably what Veevs just said :lol:

Last edited:

Champ

I personally loved to have "fingersave" gloves. Don't know if thats allowed in bigger leagues? A spine protecting your fingers, but also helpful when saving balls with your fingertips,
But the rigidness of the 'spine' would prevent you from catching the ball, punching the ball etc surely?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
But the rigidness of the 'spine' would prevent you from catching the ball, punching the ball etc surely?
They do. It’s funny to see people in here saying they love them as it’s the exact opposite of what every keeper I know in real life thought of them, they hated them. My brother had a pair and he took the inserts out as you could barely move your fingers with them. I’ve known MLS, international and PL academy keepers too and none of them have ever worn them.

shaky

Goalies should go back to wearing these. proper keeper gloves.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Hands only, but they have to be both wet and cold. Should make for some good blunders.

Rossa

Being a former goalie, albeit of a questionable quality, I can give some insights to gloves. I used to love shopping for gloves, and the quality and grip greatly varies. Some gloves fit some hands and others fit other hands. I have rather short fingers but a fairly big palm, so some gloves just didn't fit me. Wearing gloves that are too large is nothing but disadvantagous. You lose grip, dexterity and perhaps most importantly feel. You also need to throw the ball, so having gloves that are too big will make it very difficult to make good throws, just like boots that are too big make it difficult to pass the ball well. Incidentally, you could make a claim that a goalie should wear three sizes too large shoes, but it just doesn't work - the same with gloves. You need the feel, the feel!

Champ

They do. It’s funny to see people in here saying they love them as it’s the exact opposite of what every keeper I know in real life thought of them, they hated them. My brother had a pair and he took the inserts out as you could barely move your fingers with them. I’ve known MLS, international and PL academy keepers too and none of them have ever worn them.
Yeah, I thought that'd be the case.

All the keepers I have coached have preferred a more tactile slimmer glove, which means they have full mobility whilst maintaining maximum grip.

Teffe

No, you can benf your fingers but its a bit harder as theres some resistance.
i cant speak for every keeper as some here does. Ive been a keeper for 20 years and just retired. I likes they and had them for 8-10 years. You loose a little bit of ”feeling” but you make a spectacular save extra a few times every season. Plus protects your fingers

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
bigger gloves aren't going to help. They will move around on your hands and make it harder to throw the ball. I really need a size 9.5 but I wear the 9 because i prefer a little tight as opposed to a little loose...

Tiber

I quite enjoy that OP is concerned about this outcome:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No. Gloves are slightly bigger than hands due to the foam / material, but no goalkeeper wants any excess material flopping around.

Gloves are quite snug in reality.

It’s not like keepers are wearing hockey gloves.

Any ounce of effort expended in trying to regulate glove sizes would be far misguided.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
In reality it’s the opposite. The spines help keep your fingers stable, keep from getting hyperextended, & make your fingers slightly curved inwards to assist in catching the ball.

For any keeper who plays small sided matches / indoor, they are essential as there’s far less catching involved. I have played two seasons in the past with fractured fingers & they allowed me to gut through the pain with no noticeable deprecation in catching or parrying.

Oranges038

They did and the gloves were awful, don't know how anyone could wear them more than once. I'd rather run the risk of spraining all my fingers at the same time again than wear them. They didn't allow any give for relaxing your hands properly. I also remember a GK coach telling me that he advised young players against them as the protection was a gimmick and they didn't allow them to properly build up finger and wrist strength.

I bought a quite expensive pair of Adidas ones, similar to something VDS wore around 08/09. The spines were taken out at half time first time I wore them and never went back in. The ball literally bounced off my hands and made catching so much harder, punching was fine as the spine added to the impact. I wore the gloves for nearly 3 seasons without the spines, never even considered another pair after.

I also remember David Seaman talking about gloves he tested with an adhesive palm to help with catching. The problem was grass and everything else stuck to them too.

Rossa

They did and the gloves were awful, don't know how anyone could wear them more than once. I'd rather run the risk of spraining all my fingers at the same time again than wear them. They didn't allow any give for relaxing your hands properly. I also remember a GK coach telling me that he advised young players against them as the protection was a gimmick and they didn't allow them to properly build up finger and wrist strength.

I bought a quite expensive pair of Adidas ones, similar to something VDS wore around 08/09. The spines were taken out at half time first time I wore them and never went back in. The ball literally bounced off my hands and made catching so much harder, punching was fine as the spine added to the impact. I wore the gloves for nearly 3 seasons without the spines, never even considered another pair after.

I also remember David Seaman talking about gloves he tested with an adhesive palm to help with catching. The problem was grass and everything else stuck to them too.
You wore the same pair for 3 seasons? Were you the goalie equivalent to Phil Jones?