Goalkeeper options...

if he doesn't, all in on Pope.
Pope's really underrated. As well as being genuinely elite at dealing with crosses and shot-stopping (PSXG-GA), he's also second only to Alisson in most sweeper metrics - something he doesn't get much credit for.

I like Sanchez at Brighton too. Obviously Donnarumma's great, and likely available for the right money.

For my money though, David Soria's been the best keeper in Europe this season. Every time I've watched Getafe this season he's stood out hugely, and stat-wise he excels at everything you'd want. He's 28 in a couple of weeks, which maybe goes against him (although he's younger than Emi Martinez) - but he's an unbelievably good sweeper keeper while also being Schmeichel-levels of physically imposing in 1v1s. He's statistically the best in Europe at dealing with crosses - both frequency and success rates. He also has a really unique distribution style.

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

Pope's really underrated. As well as being genuinely elite at dealing with crosses and shot-stopping (PSXG-GA), he's also second only to Alisson in most sweeper metrics - something he doesn't get much credit for.

I like Sanchez at Brighton too. Obviously Donnarumma's great, and likely available for the right money.

For my money though, David Soria's been the best keeper in Europe this season. Every time I've watched Getafe this season he's stood out hugely, and stat-wise he excels at everything you'd want. He's 28 in a couple of weeks, which maybe goes against him (although he's younger than Emi Martinez) - but he's an unbelievably good sweeper keeper while also being Schmeichel-levels of physically imposing in 1v1s. He's statistically the best in Europe at dealing with crosses - both frequency and success rates. He also has a really unique distribution style.
I don't watch any Burnley games but how much sweeping can he do in their defensive set up?

He must be very impressive if that's the case.

I don't watch any Burnley games but how much sweeping can he do in their defensive set up?

He must be very impressive if that's the case.
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

He's second in the league to Alisson in terms of number of Defensive Actions Outside Penalty Area per 90. Also second (tied with Ederson) for distance from goal of those defensive actions.

Like you say, it's surprising given Burnley's defensive setup. Also surprising to me because of Pope's size.

He did a lot of sweeper stuff last season too, but he's kicked it up a notch since then:

2019/20

Remember seeing a chart recently too that showed he's also best in the league in 1v1 situations. I'll have a look for it tomorrow if nobody else posts it.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

He's second in the league to Alisson in terms of number of Defensive Actions Outside Penalty Area per 90. Also second (tied with Ederson) for distance from goal of those defensive actions.

Like you say, it's surprising given Burnley's defensive setup. Also surprising to me because of Pope's size.

He did a lot of sweeper stuff last season too, but he's kicked it up a notch since then:

2019/20

Remember seeing a chart recently too that showed he's also best in the league in 1v1 situations. I'll have a look for it tomorrow if nobody else posts it.
Thanks for this, I was actually going to suggest Dmitrovic and he comes out really well in those stats.

If we're looking in the league, I think Meslier at Leeds look like a hell of a prospect. Can't see him in there.

criticalanalysis

2019/20

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for him in the England games if he plays.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
In a scenario where Henderson doesn't cement his position as our new no 1, what is the likelihood we sell him and do a De Gea + $ for Oblak swap deal with Aletico?

Seems like Hendo would bring in good money in the EPL given age, nationality, contract.

Not that I want Hendo sold, but if he's insistent on being a first choice next season and De Gea wants to unite with his family and be Spain's no 1, it could be a win for all parties involved.

Infra-red

In a scenario where Henderson doesn't cement his position as our new no 1, what is the likelihood we sell him and do a De Gea + $ for Oblak swap deal with Aletico?

Seems like Hendo would bring in good money in the EPL given age, nationality, contract.

Not that I want Hendo sold, but if he's insistent on being a first choice next season and De Gea wants to unite with his family and be Spain's no 1, it could be a win for all parties involved.
I'd say that the chances of us being able to move the highest paid player in the Premier League on in a swap deal is very slim. I fear we're stuck with De Gea.

Selling Henderson might be a possibility - he should be given the remainder of the season to show whether he's up to it as our #1.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope we don't sleep on Ajax's Andre Onana because of his 1 year doping ban. 24y old and cheaper than Oblak and Donarumma.

As a sweeper keeper he's the closest thing to Neuer. It's impressive to watch him confuse the halfway line for his goal line.

We've seen Hendo coming off his line more than Dave having a positive influence.

I don't think his ban will prevent clubs from buying. They'll just include a few extra clauses like Barca did with Suarez.

I'd say that the chances of us being able to move the highest paid player in the Premier League on in a swap deal is very slim. I fear we're stuck with De Gea.

Selling Henderson might be a possibility - he should be given the remainder of the season to show whether he's up to it as our #1.
Oh definitely, a swap is dependent on Dave's priorities. But I think there's a real possibility his family and his national team spot could affect his choice.

Taking a pay cut isn't as rare as people make it out to be, sidelined players do it all the time. I don't buy the general notion that his salary prevents him from being benched. Sunken cost fallacy and stuff.

Even those that have strong doubts on Hendo think it makes sense to give him a run with an eye on the future.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Can we get Andre Onana? He's suspended for doping 'till february and his contract expires the summer after. He seems to be holding Ajax hostage by not renewing. So he's a cnut but he would be very cheap considering he can't play for a few months and Ajax is only getting a few months out of him before he leaves for free.

He's by far Ajax's best player. The way he's comfortable having the ball far up the pitch would really suit how Ole wants to play.

croadyman

Would love to think we could swap Dave and cash for Oblak but no way could Atletico afford his wages