Film Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

MiceOnMeth

Saw the trailer for this when I went to see Dune: Part Two, and I burst out laughing. Looked absolutely horrendous. Can hardly imagine a worse way to spend 2-3 hours of my time than watching a giant CGI monkey punching a giant CGI lizard.

That being said, it's probably going to make a billion dollars at the box office.
Well its entertaining for one, while dune is an absolute snorefest

Mike Smalling

How is two hours of computer graphics and no story entertaining though?
In the immortal words of George Lucas: "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. People have a tendency to confuse them as an end to themselves. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing".

Words he definitely lived by during his entire career.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
In the immortal words of George Lucas: "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. People have a tendency to confuse them as an end to themselves. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing".

Words he definitely lived by during his entire career.
oh look, this tasty sister is banging her brother. the height of intellectual cinema.

MiceOnMeth

If you get no joy out of Godzilla diving off the rock of Gibraltar olympic diving style into the sea to go scrap with kong you must be dead inside

Also hes about to atomic breath kongs face off and Mothra comes and scolds them for fighting like an angry Mom :lol: pure cinema

evil_geko

Imagine going to a Godzilla movie for story, wtf did people expect from this? It is what is should be, giant monsters fighting, nothing more should be expected from it. Shoving pointless human stories in these movies is what makes them worse.

So many people today are acting like fancy critics that can't enjoy a mindless fun action anymore. Not everything has to be a deep artsy 3 hour slog. And I am saying this as someone who loves slow dramas.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Imagine going to a Godzilla movie for story, wtf did people expect from this? It is what is should be, giant monsters fighting, nothing more should be expected from it. Shoving pointless human stories in these movies is what makes them worse.

So many people today are acting like fancy critics that can't enjoy a mindless fun action anymore. Not everything has to be a deep artsy 3 hour slog. And I am saying this as someone who loves slow dramas.
The era of brainless superhero action movies or with monsters is over. Godzilla Minus One is hundred times better movie than this garbage, because guess what there is a story..

Mike Smalling

Do you think it's possible that there is something in between "3 hour artsy movie" and "CGI nightmare"?

When it comes to recent fun action movies I like, I thought the new Top Gun movie was a pretty good example. Going back a bit further, I loved Mad Max: Fury Road. Both movies were largely about the action scenes, of course, but there was a bit more going on that just that.

evil_geko

The era of brainless superhero action movies or with monsters is over. Godzilla Minus One is hundred times better movie than this garbage, because guess what there is a story..
There is no "era of brainless action movies". They were always here in the 80s, 90s, 00s etc. Both Godzilla Minus One and this one are fun in their own way. Also, guess what, no one cares about the story in Kaiju fighting movies. If you do, you are not the target audience. People just want to see them fight, that is literally it. I am just glad I don't have the pretentious "movie critic" state of mind so I can enjoy wider variety of movies without nitpicking every little scene to death.

I am aware that Godzilla Minus One is generally a better movie, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy both. There are tons of "bad" movies from the 80s and 90s that are really fun to watch. It is not that fecking serious.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
fecking hell this was an epic pile of turd and I'm usually a fan of silly blockbusters.

LARulz

I enjoyed it. I went in expecting sillyness and got it. I enjoyed the bit with no human characters for like that 10/15 mins

Maybe if they kept to that for longer it would be better

Andy_Cole

If you get no joy out of Godzilla diving off the rock of Gibraltar olympic diving style into the sea to go scrap with kong you must be dead inside

Also hes about to atomic breath kongs face off and Mothra comes and scolds them for fighting like an angry Mom :lol: pure cinema
Just as Godzilla is about to lay the killer blow Kong whispers mothra.

LARulz

I see a lot of people (not here) comparing this to Minus One and being disappointed. I get why and I love Minus One too but they are going for 2 completely different things

Minus One was all about the humans and seeing it from their perspective with the backdrop of WW2, Godzilla x Kong (and the Hollywood franchise in general) is all about the monster's and from their perspective. This is even more obvious when they did like 15 mins of this film just focusing on Kong walking around and seeing Scar King for the first time, there is no human or dialogue

The collateral damage these guys cause in the Monsterverse films is hardly addressed because quite frankly, when it comes to these films, nobody cares. The purpose of these films is quite simply just to watch and hopefully enjoy monster vs monster.

I agree that when there is human elements in this film they should be better but if you are going into a Hollywood Godzilla/Kong film for emotional human story then you chose the wrong film

Sylar

I see a lot of people (not here) comparing this to Minus One and being disappointed. I get why and I love Minus One too but they are going for 2 completely different things

Minus One was all about the humans and seeing it from their perspective with the backdrop of WW2, Godzilla x Kong (and the Hollywood franchise in general) is all about the monster's and from their perspective. This is even more obvious when they did like 15 mins of this film just focusing on Kong walking around and seeing Scar King for the first time, there is no human or dialogue

The collateral damage these guys cause in the Monsterverse films is hardly addressed because quite frankly, when it comes to these films, nobody cares. The purpose of these films is quite simply just to watch and hopefully enjoy monster vs monster.

I agree that when there is human elements in this film they should be better but if you are going into a Hollywood Godzilla/Kong film for emotional human story then you chose the wrong film
Agree with this. There's a place for both. Sometimes you want a great story with great characters. Sometimes you want to see absolute monster destruction

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Average Godzilla movie reviews: "Getting tired of CGI movies, why cant they just pay actual Godzilla to star in the film? THE FRANCHISE IS IN RUINS".

Andy_Cole

Agree with this. There's a place for both. Sometimes you want a great story with great characters. Sometimes you want to see absolute monster destruction
My only criticism was probably the fighting in hollow earth. On perspective it just looked like an animal fight rather than titans. The fights looked a lot better when crashing into buildings on actual earth.

Sylar

My only criticism was probably the fighting in hollow earth. On perspective it just looked like an animal fight rather than titans. The fights looked a lot better when crashing into buildings on actual earth.
Yeah I think the landscape was part of that reason. Its only when they were next to humans, they looked massive. You didnt have much to compare them with. I also think thats why they got sucked up to the main earth area.

Roane

Quick question

Does anyone know if I can take my nephews to the cinema for this?

Under 10 years olds.

One is 6 and obsessed with Godzilla. Wants me to take him rather than his dad. I had said ok, thinking won't get in. Now he has talked his other cousins into asking me to take them too.

I'm not sure how the ratings go with these movies and who can go watch them. Was told by someone that with an adult kids get to go. But wasn't sure if there are age or number restrictions.

Bebe

My biggest issue with the previous films in the franchise (particularly Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla v Kong) is that they waste any time at all on Millie Bobby Brown or whatever other stupid human centered subplot. Those parts occupy far too much of the runtime and actively drag the films down. Most of the big bad action scenes in this franchise have been pretty good - and Kong: Skull Island is a legitimately good film based on any reasonable criteria.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Quick question

Does anyone know if I can take my nephews to the cinema for this?

Under 10 years olds.

One is 6 and obsessed with Godzilla. Wants me to take him rather than his dad. I had said ok, thinking won't get in. Now he has talked his other cousins into asking me to take them too.

I'm not sure how the ratings go with these movies and who can go watch them. Was told by someone that with an adult kids get to go. But wasn't sure if there are age or number restrictions.
Always check through the BBFC website and draw your own conclusions.

Roane

Always check through the BBFC website and draw your own conclusions.
Thanks for that.

Just to clarify I'm not asking advice if it suitable for kids as such. More if the cinema will let them in.

To further clarify. I have loads of nephews and nieces. The 3 I will take, if they can get in, won't have an issue with the violence etc. they are "monster" obsessed. Have seen the previous movies at home etc.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Thanks for that.

Just to clarify I'm not asking advice if it suitable for kids as such. More if the cinema will let them in.

To further clarify. I have loads of nephews and nieces. The 3 I will take, if they can get in, won't have an issue with the violence etc. they are "monster" obsessed. Have seen the previous movies at home etc.
Providing a adult is accompanying them , the cinema should be ok.