Film Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Also coming up next......MonsterVerse Saga Pt VII.

Also on my 'To View' List!. Certainly come a long way from the Roland Emmerich 1998 offering (though it was pretty decent at the time).

MiceOnMeth

Love these movies! Just pure eye candy and a fun 2 hours can't wait for this one it looks bonkers

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Love these movies! Just pure eye candy and a fun 2 hours can't wait for this one it looks bonkers
Absolutely! Thanks to technology, moviemakers are able to give these films true justice. The clip with Kong and Godzilla running at the end is just so goosebumpy!

Think I'll re-watch the previous 6 instalments again before getting to this one.

sherrinford

Also coming up next......MonsterVerse Saga Pt VII.

Also on my 'To View' List!. Certainly come a long way from the Roland Emmerich 1998 offering (though it was pretty decent at the time).
The 1998 film wasn't exactly fantastic, but it was much better than any of the offerings from the current series.

MiceOnMeth

Think I'll re-watch the previous 6 instalments again before getting to this one.
What's your favourite of the 6? I think Skull Island is my favourite but I plan to do a re-watch so that might change

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The 1998 film wasn't exactly fantastic, but it was much better than any of the offerings from the current series.
The best thing about this movie was the Jamiroquai song. Duh, duh duh, duh du-duh, duh duh duh duh.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What's your favourite of the 6? I think Skull Island is my favourite but I plan to do a re-watch so that might change
I think I got my numbers wrong. Think I was including the original Kong and Godzilla movies. But from the reboots, they were all good. The monster fights in Skull Island were pretty epic. I enjoyed King of the Monsters but felt the overall movie was too dark literally to fully appreciate the visuals. I guess my least favourite would be Godzilla with Bryan Cranston, who I thought was a bit too hammy in that, which kinda ruined it for me.

So I'm guessing it's a close one between Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong.

There's been talk about crossing over with the Pacific Rim guys. Imagine Godzilla, Kong and the Jaegers taking on some badass Level 5 Kaiju. That would be off the charts.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The best thing about this movie was the Jamiroquai song. Duh, duh duh, duh du-duh, duh duh duh duh.
That was a great song. The video for it was shot in my old home town.

I haven't enjoyed any of these monsterverse films and if there are 6 already I definitely haven't seen them all. They're all let down by the crappy nonsensical human characters that the films spend a majority of time focusing on despite giving you 0 reason to find them anything other than annoying. Every film there'll be a random new character with parent issues and yet another pointless evil person who's motivation for whatever it is they're doing makes absolutely no sense.

sherrinford

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Godzilla 2014 is actually a very good film. Not totally sold on the others and Godzilla running just looks dumb (as seen in the above trailer).

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Godzilla 2014 is actually a very good film. Not totally sold on the others and Godzilla running just looks dumb (as seen in the above trailer).
For insomnia yes

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m more interested in the minus one thing that just came out. These monster cgi fests are boring as feck.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
its not even the best song on the soundtrack, yet was still far superior to the steaming pile that was the 98 Godzilla
And yet '98 Godzilla is still more entertaining than most modern monster movies.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Agreed. Watched it at the cinema. Good movie and top soundtrack. Much better than any of the soulless projects that have come since.

I remember buying a few movie soundtracks CDs around those years. Godzilla and Spawn had some bangers.

Oldyella

Massive Godzilla fan. And really shouldnt complain with 2 movies and a tv series right about now. But why does he need to be shoe-horned in with a big monkey? We saw them together once, that was more than enough.

LARulz

Big fan of Godzilla but I did find the running a bit odd, he seems to have a slightly new design each time

Also this Scar King monster is another of the ape/money type which is fine but feels it should be a Kong film alone. I know Scar King is meant to control the original titan but still, I think they've done too much from what the synopsis looks like

I just want King Ghidorah back

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Massive Godzilla fan. And really shouldnt complain with 2 movies and a tv series right about now. But why does he need to be shoe-horned in with a big monkey? We saw them together once, that was more than enough.
I agree with this. They should be split up, not some kind of monster dynamic duo. I kind of like Godzilla as the bad guy but just like the earlier movies back in the day they are making him into a nice lovable radioactive dinosaur.

Oldyella

I agree with this. They should be split up, not some kind of monster dynamic duo. I kind of like Godzilla as the bad guy but just like the earlier movies back in the day they are making him into a nice lovable radioactive dinosaur.
Exactly. He's supposed to be a warning to humanity. Not its defender.

LARulz

Agree to some degree. This movie is perfect for a monkey vs monkey fight, no need for Godzilla and extras. They could have given Godzilla a separate film

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Surely I’m not the only one who has lost all interest in movies where CGI monster A fights CGI monster B? How does anyone maintain any interest in such a tired format? CGI has got so boring and ubiquitous it basically ruins any movie it’s used in now (although I guess the good CGI probably isn’t noticeable? so it might be just CGI monsters that are shit?)

Oldyella

Surely I’m not the only one who has lost all interest in movies where CGI monster A fights CGI monster B? How does anyone maintain any interest in such a tired format? CGI has got so boring and ubiquitous it basically ruins any movie it’s used in now (although I guess the good CGI probably isn’t noticeable? so it might be just CGI monsters that are shit?)
The best Godzilla movies have been two blokes in big rubber suits having a fight across a model city.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just seen it

if you like CGI monster fights, this is great; if you’re looking for story-telling, best avoid.

They’ve finally embraced the fact that people watch these movies for monster fights and basically done away with any coherent story.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just seen it

if you like CGI monster fights, this is great; if you’re looking for story-telling, best avoid.

They’ve finally embraced the fact that people watch these movies for monster fights and basically done away with any coherent story.
Sounds crap then. Shame.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Going to see it tonight.

Will report back on its inevitable awesomeness later.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
My 8 year old fecking loved it. She said 10/10. Which I think is a fair review for an 8 year old.

My expectations were low. Expecting a popcorn flick with loads of cgi and somewhat of a guilty pleasure. Instead it’s a deeply moving and brilliant story of struggle against the odds and redemption in the face of adversity, with some Oscar worthy performances. Superbly written and crafted with a nuance that belies the genre.

I’m kidding. It was exactly what it says on the tin. Two massive cgi monsters kicking the shit out of other cgi monsters.

As monster verse movies go, it is one of the weaker entries. The human element was the worst of the series and the cgi was very uneven. Like it was done on a budget. But it was still plenty enjoyable for what it was.

If you’ve got kids, they’ll love it; and you won’t totally hate it either.

Sylar

Loved it. It's what I wanted, big feckin titans smashing the shit out of each other and less time spent on humans trying to make it too serious.

Also loved how much colletaral damage occurs during the movie :lol:

There was no post credit so wondering what the plan is going forward

lsd

The Oracle
I really wonder about the people who go these films to watch two hours of cgi nonsense.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I really wonder about the people who go these films to watch two hours of cgi nonsense.
It kind of reminds me of that recent Black Mirror episode where AI produced the shows. I can't deny I've enjoyed some of them myself, but looking at the successes of things like Avatar, Transformers, Pacific Rim, etc etc...as soon as they can even cgi the human actors themselves they ll probably do it just to keep raking in the cash.

At least recently it gave me an entirely newfound respect though for movies that don't rely so much on computer generated trickery. Hell even the Lord of the Rings trilogy I have so much more respect for these days than I already did- knowing how much of it was not CGI generated.

lsd

The Oracle
It kind of reminds me of that recent Black Mirror episode where AI produced the shows. I can't deny I've enjoyed some of them myself, but looking at the successes of things like Avatar, Transformers, Pacific Rim, etc etc...as soon as they can even cgi the human actors themselves they ll probably do it just to keep raking in the cash.

At least recently it gave me an entirely newfound respect though for movies that don't rely so much on computer generated trickery. Hell even the Lord of the Rings trilogy I have so much more respect for these days than I already did- knowing how much of it was not CGI generated.
Yeah i guess i mean i watched poor things last night and after two and a half hours of it i have no idea what i just watched nor was it good or bad other than it was an experience

Mike Smalling

Saw the trailer for this when I went to see Dune: Part Two, and I burst out laughing. Looked absolutely horrendous. Can hardly imagine a worse way to spend 2-3 hours of my time than watching a giant CGI monkey punching a giant CGI lizard.

That being said, it's probably going to make a billion dollars at the box office.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Yeah i guess i mean i watched poor things last night and after two and a half hours of it i have no idea what i just watched nor was it good or bad other than it was an experience
Haha I was mildly amused by that movie but the biggest thing I couldn't get past what to my non British ears sounded like a terrible attempt at an English accent from Ruffalo. Curious how peeps here from the isles perceived it.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Saw the trailer for this when I went to see Dune: Part Two, and I burst out laughing. Looked absolutely horrendous. Can hardly imagine a worse way to spend 2-3 hours of my time than watching a giant CGI monkey punching a giant CGI lizard.

That being said, it's probably going to make a billion dollars at the box office.
Yep I said exactly the same thing but I still want to see it. :D

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Haha I was mildly amused by that movie but the biggest thing I couldn't get past what to my non British ears sounded like a terrible attempt at an English accent from Ruffalo. Curious how peeps here from the isles perceived it.
Feels like an odd thing to complain about in a film where a dog's head has been grafted onto a duck.