Golf 2022

Doracle

Seems a bit unlikely given how scathing he was of LIV players playing this week?

Deery

Dreary
Rahm not the same player he once was, when is the last time he was in contention to win anything?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Was he? Didn’t watch this weekend, but seen Lowry won which was good.
To be fair, he shot a 62 yesterday to post -16 with half the field still on their front 9, and it did look, for a while, like -18 or even -19 would win. But yeah, he finished 1 back in a tie for 2nd with Rory.

Brilliant win for Lowry.

Deery

Dreary
To be fair, he shot a 62 yesterday to post -16 with half the field still on their front 9, and it did look, for a while, like -18 or even -19 would win. But yeah, he finished 1 back in a tie for 2nd with Rory.

Brilliant win for Lowry.
I think everyone was posting low scores the last few days, but I think in general his game hasn’t been as good as it once was, is that fair to say or a bit harsh?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I think everyone was posting low scores the last few days, but I think in general his game hasn’t been as good as it once was, is that fair to say or a bit harsh?
Ah Yea, it's certainly not been his best year. But he still finished 15th in the Fed-Ex and is 15th in the Race to Dubai having played about 2 events outside the Majors/WGCs. For a lot of golfers, that's a great year. But yeah, Rahm will probably be a bit disappointed with it. Didn't really show up in the majors this year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I don't see Rahm going. Can't see any of the top 10 currently going tbh. So it's gonna be a surprise whoever it ends up being if true.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Apologies if this derails the thread or is not appropriate here, but curious if anyone can help me out with a question I have about actually playing golf.

I'm keen on potentially adding a 2 iron to my bag, but I'm debating what club to drop. I'm leaning towards axing my 3 wood, but I can see how this might be insane. The hypothetical bag would thus be:

Driver/2I/5W/4-9I/PW/52/56/60/P

Anyone else been in this position? Should I just drop the 5W? Generally I hit my long irons better than my fairway woods...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Apologies if this derails the thread or is not appropriate here, but curious if anyone can help me out with a question I have about actually playing golf.

I'm keen on potentially adding a 2 iron to my bag, but I'm debating what club to drop. I'm leaning towards axing my 3 wood, but I can see how this might be insane. The hypothetical bag would thus be:

Anyone else been in this position? Should I just drop the 5W? Generally I hit my long irons better than my fairway woods...
If you hit it better than you hit the 3 wood then go for it. Have you got a 2i anyway? They're absolute nails to be consistent with anyway unless you're a single digit handicap

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

A traditional 2i or a hybrid of some sort?

Do you typically hit your 2i as far as you hit your 3w?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If you hit it better than you hit the 3 wood then go for it. Have you got a 2i anyway? They're absolute nails to be consistent with anyway unless you're a single digit handicap
Yeah I've got a 2I. I either stripe it or I top it (probably 7/10 times for the former), but generally I hit it straight. My swing with woods has always been a bit more inconsistent directionally.

A traditional 2i or a hybrid of some sort?

Do you typically hit your 2i as far as you hit your 3w?
I've got a traditional 2I that I've been experimenting with. My 3W is usually somewhere around 275 yards if I catch it properly, the 2I usually in the region of 260y or so. Typically the latter is straighter but I am more prone to catastrophic mishits hah.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah I've got a 2I. I either stripe it or I top it (probably 7/10 times for the former), but generally I hit it straight. My swing with woods has always been a bit more inconsistent directionally.

I've got a traditional 2I that I've been experimenting with. My 3W is usually somewhere around 275 yards if I catch it properly, the 2I usually in the region of 260y or so. Typically the latter is straighter but I am more prone to catastrophic mishits hah.
How far do you average with your 5w?

What’s your handicap / average score?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How far do you average with your 5w?

What’s your handicap / average score?
5W usually 250-260y but that's assuming a decent flat lie. I'll be the first to admit that any difference in elevation between my feet and the ball can have a catastrophic impact on my outcome, especially with woods. Handicap right now is a ~13.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
5W usually 250-260y but that's assuming a decent flat lie. I'll be the first to admit that any difference in elevation between my feet and the ball can have a catastrophic impact on my outcome, especially with woods. Handicap right now is a ~13.
I’d drop your five wood & get a hybrid the same loft as your two iron. It will give you a higher ball flight than your three wood & will be a little easier to shape shots.

If you hit your 3w 275, I’d consider dropping your driver, figure out where a distance hole is in your wedges, & buy the lofted wedge that gives you that distance. Or, double up on a wedge, but purchase one on the opposite end of the bounce spectrum. That will give you a higher bounce wedge to use in soft bunkers / rough & a lower bounce wedge to use on firm bunkers / tight lies / fairway. 275 is more than enough distance on a course under 7000 yards; having the driver & 3w in your bag just eliminates the ability to insert a scoring club.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’d drop your five wood & get a hybrid the same loft as your two iron. It will give you a higher ball flight than your three wood & will be a little easier to shape shots.

If you hit your 3w 275, I’d consider dropping your driver, figure out where a distance hole is in your wedges, & buy the lofted wedge that gives you that distance. Or, double up on a wedge, but purchase one on the opposite end of the bounce spectrum. That will give you a higher bounce wedge to use in bunkers / rough & a lower bounce wedge to use on tight lies / fairway. 275 is more than enough distance on a course under 7000 yards; having the driver & 3w in your bag just eliminates the ability to insert a scoring club.
That's great advice, thanks! I have actually considered dropping the driver on occasion as it sometimes gets me into more trouble than it saves at times. I've thought about trying out a flatter 56 for more greenside control especially but sort of assumed I'd replace my 60 with it.

I'll definitely see if I can get my hands on a 2H to give it a go on the range - I'm fairly tall though and I played baseball at a very high level in the past, so I tend to need custom clubs to gauge the full potential.

Thanks a million for the help!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That's great advice, thanks! I have actually considered dropping the driver on occasion as it sometimes gets me into more trouble than it saves at times. I've thought about trying out a flatter 56 for more greenside control especially but sort of assumed I'd replace my 60 with it.

I'll definitely see if I can get my hands on a 2H to give it a go on the range - I'm fairly tall though and I played baseball at a very high level in the past, so I tend to need custom clubs to gauge the full potential.

Thanks a million for the help!
No worries! I always carried a 56 with more bounce & a lesser bounce 60 (some would consider that backwards), but I knew I could then handle any shot from 120 in from any lie.

Good quick primer by the OG wedge maker…

https://www.vokey.com/explained/wedge-bounce#

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks for the link! I might have to bin the traditional 2I I have to give this a go based on the recommendations of @calodo2003 and yourself.

No worries! I always carried a 56 with more bounce & a lesser bounce 60 (some would consider that backwards), but I knew I could then handle any shot from 120 in from any lie.

Good quick primer by the OG wedge maker…

https://www.vokey.com/explained/wedge-bounce#
That is incredibly helpful and thanks again for your advice! Now that you point it out, it does seem far more logical to offset the face and bounce angles with wedges. Mind blown!

You have given me a ton to think about and I am hugely grateful! I hope you don't mind if I post further questions in this thread as I continue to tinker?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thanks for the link! I might have to bin the traditional 2I I have to give this a go based on the recommendations of @calodo2003 and yourself.

That is incredibly helpful and thanks again for your advice! Now that you point it out, it does seem far more logical to offset the face and bounce angles with wedges. Mind blown!

You have given me a ton to think about and I am hugely grateful! I hope you don't mind if I post further questions in this thread as I continue to tinker?
No worries at all, that’s what the thread is partially for.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That is some confidence right there. I’m here for it if what actually keeps Rahm in the PGA is not wanting to give this guy a run.
I can imagine some of the PGA tour lads to get their management to "negotiate" with LIV just to see wtf is actually going on with LIV, a way to expose their BS contracts and all the other dodgeyness surrounding them. Also could give the PGA a heads up to what LIV are planning in the future.

LIV are fecked anyway, can't earn ranking points, 54 hole events aren't enough, fields aren't big enough, also, the poor 49th best golfer on LIV is fecked. "Ah you don't make the cut, see ya"

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I can imagine some of the PGA tour lads to get their management to "negotiate" with LIV just to see wtf is actually going on with LIV, a way to expose their BS contracts and all the other dodgeyness surrounding them. Also could give the PGA a heads up to what LIV are planning in the future.

LIV are fecked anyway, can't earn ranking points, 54 hole events aren't enough, fields aren't big enough, also, the poor 49th best golfer on LIV is fecked. "Ah you don't make the cut, see ya"
Makes sense.

Quick question, is the tagline an accidental/purposeful/incidental wrong reference to Les Miserables?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Makes sense.

Quick question, is the tagline an accidental/purposeful/incidental wrong reference to Les Miserables?
I joked about not knowing people's names and refering to them by numbers and someone gave me the tagline :lol: guess they were a Les miserables fan.