Golf 2022

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Will Zalatoris finally closing one out!
Some drama in the play-off. Delighted for Zalatoris.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Fed-Ex play-off system though. A guy who’s won once this year, shouldn’t be going into the second last event ahead of the guys who have won 3 and 4 times this year respectively, including a major each. But that’s the way it is.

Carolina Red

Staff

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Fed-Ex play-off system though. A guy who’s won once this year, shouldn’t be going into the second last event ahead of the guys who have won 3 and 4 times this year respectively, including a major each. But that’s the way it is.
Yeah, missing the cut in a 2000 point event didn’t help Scottie.

Skåre Willoch

Is it official that Cam Smith have signed for LIV? Or is it as official as it can get, without him getting kicked out of the FedEx Playoffs?
Rumour has it that Matsuyama is headed there for $400 million to be their face of LIV in Asia. I repeat, $400 million.

It's ridiculous, and with the names expected to leave, I can't help but feel sad. So many top names are already gone, and now the younger ones are following. Will any of the big shots stay, if all of the (good) players is heading elsewhere? Rumour has it Cantlay, Young, Scott and Schauffele are also heading there before next season. I gotta say, I have a bad feeling about Hovi as well.

LIV is here to stay, isn't it?

gaffs

Is it official that Cam Smith have signed for LIV? Or is it as official as it can get, without him getting kicked out of the FedEx Playoffs?
Rumour has it that Matsuyama is headed there for $400 million to be their face of LIV in Asia. I repeat, $400 million.

It's ridiculous, and with the names expected to leave, I can't help but feel sad. So many top names are already gone, and now the younger ones are following. Will any of the big shots stay, if all of the (good) players is heading elsewhere? Rumour has it Cantlay, Young, Scott and Schauffele are also heading there before next season. I gotta say, I have a bad feeling about Hovi as well.

LIV is here to stay, isn't it?
Cam is gone. Not official be he just WD'd from the next PGA tournament with a "hip injury".
IDK why the tour docked him 2 shots. Seemed to be a stupid ruling that was picked up on by an official that night watching a tv replay at his hotel. Maybe they didnt want him winning with him off to LIV!
I think the Matsuyama numbers are inflated, but i think he may go.

Is LIV here to stay? Im not sure. The LIV product, on the face of it, should be good, but you watch it and it is seriously lacking.
I see the value in the shotgun starts - you have all guys out at the same time. But when you have guys finishing on different holes, it takes away from any drama. Plus, you have holes where there is zero people watching.
The team aspect is completely pointless, beyond paying the players more. Even if the teams are regionalized, i cant see people really getting into it.
The courses are crap too and people just don't care that a player who is already getting millions to join LIV is getting an extra $5mil for winning.

Winning on the PGA tour is never about the money for the players. It's so damn hard to win a PGA tour event, that it's all about the accomplishment, not the cash.

The drama between Zalatoris and Straka yesterday was epic. I dont care if its Smith V DJ for $5mil at a LIV event, you wont beat the finish yesterday.

Another issues that LIV has is that I don't believe that a major US network will pick up the TV rights. They networks dont want to be involved with the Saudis or the politics of it. LIV made a mistake associating themselves with Trump - no major network (beyond Fox news) want to show a political rally at a golf event.
Sponsors also dont want to be involved. Which makes me think, how are they going to ever make a profit? How will it all benefit Saudi Arabia? They wont keep giving Greg Norman a blank check when there are no returns coming.

gaffs

Epic finish. With all the LIV stuff, the PGA Tour must be delighted they had a big name winning in such a great way.

Tend to agree, but it's also about being on form at the right time. Just like playoffs in most sports.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Cam is gone. Not official be he just WD'd from the next PGA tournament with a "hip injury".
IDK why the tour docked him 2 shots. Seemed to be a stupid ruling that was picked up on by an official that night watching a tv replay at his hotel. Maybe they didnt want him winning with him off to LIV!
I think the Matsuyama numbers are inflated, but i think he may go.

Is LIV here to stay? Im not sure. The LIV product, on the face of it, should be good, but you watch it and it is seriously lacking.
I see the value in the shotgun starts - you have all guys out at the same time. But when you have guys finishing on different holes, it takes away from any drama. Plus, you have holes where there is zero people watching.
The team aspect is completely pointless, beyond paying the players more. Even if the teams are regionalized, i cant see people really getting into it.
The courses are crap too and people just don't care that a player who is already getting millions to join LIV is getting an extra $5mil for winning.

Winning on the PGA tour is never about the money for the players. It's so damn hard to win a PGA tour event, that it's all about the accomplishment, not the cash.

The drama between Zalatoris and Straka yesterday was epic. I dont care if its Smith V DJ for $5mil at a LIV event, you wont beat the finish yesterday.

Another issues that LIV has is that I don't believe that a major US network will pick up the TV rights. They networks dont want to be involved with the Saudis or the politics of it. LIV made a mistake associating themselves with Trump - no major network (beyond Fox news) want to show a political rally at a golf event.
Sponsors also dont want to be involved. Which makes me think, how are they going to ever make a profit? How will it all benefit Saudi Arabia? They wont keep giving Greg Norman a blank check when there are no returns coming.
Haven’t graced LIV with my viewership yet, but they do shotgun starts all three days?

gaffs

Haven’t graced LIV with my viewership yet, but they do shotgun starts all three days?
Yes, all 3 days. I believe the leaders each day get to start on 1.

I can see the value, it allows for a 5 hour TV window and you have a ton of shots at once. But it's almost like, there are so many shots being shown, there is no context to it and you cant keep up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes, all 3 days. I believe the leaders each day get to start on 1.

I can see the value, it allows for a 5 hour TV window and you have a ton of shots at once. But it's almost like, there are so many shots being shown, there is no context to it and you cant keep up.
Wow. That’s horrific.

I could never follow such a tour. Lazy Sundays with golf on all day (especially the majors) are too special to me.

What I hope is that the governing body decides not to give WGR points to LIV tournaments to lock the players out of playing in majors. Probably won’t happen though.

stretford_oslo

Just heard on a podcast Tiger and Rickie Fowler has arrived at Wilmington to join a meeting between players to discuss PGA’s future.
Whatever happens I think it’s safe to say LIV is here to stay.

Skåre Willoch

As much as I like to make fun of Zalatoris' putting stroke, Billy Horschel's does my head in. It looks so insanely unconfident and awkward. Too bad I can't find a proper video of it.

FriedClams

My gap wedge head came flying off on 18 today. It’s my #1 scoring club and I’m devastated. If that club was in my hand, I was never taking more than 3 more shots on a hole.