Golf 2022

FriedClams

Just played my best 9 holes in years. 5 pars and 4 bogies... I know, nothing special, but not a single flubbed shot and was in position to birdie 5 holes. Putter just was not working. Considering the move has meant this was my first time on the course in months I'll take it!
nothing special? It’s significantly above average!!

Carolina Red

Staff
Just played my best 9 holes in years. 5 pars and 4 bogies... I know, nothing special, but not a single flubbed shot and was in position to birdie 5 holes. Putter just was not working. Considering the move has meant this was my first time on the course in months I'll take it!
Very nice!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thanks! Just one of those days where the irons felt freaking fantastic. Left the driver in the bag and hit 3W off the tee to keep it straight and get to my irons. That is a sentence I have never, ever, ever said. Ever.

Carolina Red

Staff
Left the driver in the bag and hit 3W off the tee to keep it straight and get to my irons.
I’ve broke 80 twice, both times this summer, and both times by hitting 3w and leaving the driver alone.

ADHD thought… aren’t modern 3 woods pretty much the length, weight, and size of old school drivers?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’ve broke 80 twice, both times this summer, and both times by hitting 3w and leaving the driver alone.

ADHD thought… aren’t modern 3 woods pretty much the length, weight, and size of old school drivers?
I'm not sure. I pulled out my first real driver (not junior set) from when I was a kid and it is about the size of my current 3W, so that tracks but I remember my dad had a big oversize driver back then so who knows. I've just realized over time that getting it straight 80% at 220-230 is better than the 20% of the time my driver goes straight at around 250-260. The extra yards just aren't worth it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Roughly the same if not longer (perhaps even bigger) than old school Taylor Mades & Big Berthas & definitely bigger / longer than persimmon drivers. I found my old TM raylor a while back & marveled at how it looked like a thimble at the bottom of a shaft.

@WI_Red great score that. Keeping the driver out of y’all’s hands is a great way to keep negative thoughts out of your round. If your 3W can get you near or beyond the 150 marker on most par fours, a driver is really not needed, not even on three shot par 5s.

Andy_Cole

What is average? I may be way too hard on myself. I got my best score of 44 yesterday for an academy 9 hole course. On a big boy course I average triple bogies. Only been playing on and off for a few years. Such a hard sport!

I got my first ever birdie yesterday which I’m buzzing with.

Carolina Red

Staff
Keeping the driver out of y’all’s hands is a great way to keep negative thoughts out of your round. If your 3W can get you near or beyond the 150 marker on most par fours, a driver is really not needed, not even on three shot par 5s.
I think this is where I’ve arrived over the course of this summer.

My wife loves hitting my driver, so I think I’m just gonna go to the garage and put it in her bag :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think this is where I’ve arrived over the course of this summer.

My wife loves hitting my driver, so I think I’m just gonna go to the garage and put it in her bag :lol:
There are just so many thing I want to do to that sentence, but out of respect (and lack of bourbon) I will not.

Carolina Red

Staff
I've just realized over time that getting it straight 80% at 220-230 is better than the 20% of the time my driver goes straight at around 250-260
Bingo.

And honestly… I make good contact alot more often with the 3w than my driver anyway, so a solid percentage of the time, my 3w is probably going within 10 yards of my driver anyway. My last round I had a couple 3w tee shots that I lasered at 240 and 246. Me piping a driver is 250-255, max. I’ve just never been a power hitter.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What is average? I may be way too hard on myself. I got my best score of 44 yesterday for an academy 9 hole course. On a big boy course I average triple bogies. Only been playing on and off for a few years. Such a hard sport!

90 - 92 is average.

FriedClams

Thanks! Just one of those days where the irons felt freaking fantastic. Left the driver in the bag and hit 3W off the tee to keep it straight and get to my irons. That is a sentence I have never, ever, ever said. Ever.
try a 3 hybrid out if you haven’t already. I’ll only take driver out on 540yard + par 5s so I can try and get there in two

FriedClams

the average for people playing proper rules is closer to 95-100, the number the USGA reported was 91 but way too many people at amateur level don’t play honestly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
try a 3 hybrid out if you haven’t already. I’ll only take driver out on 540yard + par 5s so I can try and get there in two
I have not purchased new clubs in decades, so I am due for a new set. Hybrids are must haves for sure.

sidsutton

First time around PGA National too. That was a bit better than I usually play so there will be plenty of twists and turns.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Pussy.

Nah, well done. Golf is one of those weird fecking games. You can play every week and play like a bag of shit, miss it for a few months and you’re the reincarnation of Tiger Woods. Stupid fecking game (that I enjoy playing immensely)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
" Tiger Woods turned down in the region of $700m to $800m to join the new Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series, says chief executive Greg Norman. "
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/62390283

Holy money, Batman!
If Tiger ever decided to go to LIV after he turns 50, I’d be fine with it. I’ve never been a Tiger fan throughout his career, but I massively respect him staying on the PGA Tour.

Carolina Red

Staff

FriedClams

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i prefer looking down at the traditional hybrid shape. Just gotten so used to playing with them.

my bag is

ping g425 max driver 9degrees stiff
Ping g425 3 wood 13.5 degrees stiff
Rogue X 3 hybrid 19 degrees
Ping g410 4 hybrid 22.5 degrees
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour irons 5-GW
vokey sm8 54/58
Ping Anser Putter

and typically play with TP5 x ball
Oh, you took me back to my high school days playing with Mizuno’s TP-11 blades. What a set of irons those were.

Carolina Red

Staff
i prefer looking down at the traditional hybrid shape. Just gotten so used to playing with them.

my bag is

ping g425 max driver 9degrees stiff
Ping g425 3 wood 13.5 degrees stiff
Rogue X 3 hybrid 19 degrees
Ping g410 4 hybrid 22.5 degrees
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour irons 5-GW
vokey sm8 54/58
Ping Anser Putter

and typically play with TP5 x ball
I edited in the driving hybrid after I initially posted. It’s very nice. I also like the look of a hybrid when I’m teeing up for a tight fairway. I think Mrs. CR is getting it for me for my birthday. Hoping it’ll be a bit more consistent than my 5w - for some reason I hit my 3w better now than the 5w and I need something to bridge the gap between the 3w and my 4 hybrid.

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/SIM-DHY/DW-TA158.html?lang=en_US

Carolina Red

Staff
I’ve got a set of Ping i3 blades that I’m gonna sell. Actually learned how to play golf with them before getting my current Callaways.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Anyone here done the custom fitting thing as part of getting new clubs? I have 2 buddies who have done it and have raved about the effect on their game.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Anyone here done the custom fitting thing as part of getting new clubs? I have 2 buddies who have done it and have raved about the effect on their game.
Always get fitted for clubs. Don’t forget the putter.

FriedClams

Get fitted for every single club, it's so worth it. There are a lot of beliefs that getting fitted for a putter is actually the most important but having done a putter fitting and seeing 30 putts or less a round for the most part, I cant recommend it highly enough.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Have started getting lessons on my swing. I got it to the point where I was hitting good enough shots with my old swing to play, but I’m not happy with that. I’m a pretty strong dude and lack of power was infuriating, especially off the drive.
200 yard flighted drive is not good and I ain’t about that life. I should be able to drive 280+ with some consistency.

First lesson was maintaining a closed face and stop coming from over the top.

Was hitting it like a bag of shit but pro said that if you’re gonna be serious about it, you need to wear the pain of deconstructing what you’ve been doing. Let’s get this bread!