Golf 2023

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
When it happened Jack was a Ryder Cup rookie and everyone was pissed off at him.

So…
I knew people were pissed at him at the time. I also know that if it had been a player who had never won a major, it would not have been looked back on so fondly.

Carolina Red

Staff
I knew people were pissed at him at the time. I also know that if it had been a player who had never won a major, it would not have been looked back on so fondly.
So people were pissed off at that time that a 7x major winner conceded that putt, but now consider it such a great act of sportsmanship that they present a trophy for it because… reasons…?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
So people were pissed off at that time that a 7x major winner conceded that putt, but now consider it such a great act of sportsmanship that they present a trophy for it because… reasons…?
Do you honestly think that they would be presenting the "Peter Butler trophy" today if it had been him instead of Jack Nicklaus? Really?

Carolina Red

Staff
Do you honestly think that they would be presenting the "Peter Butler trophy" today if it had been him instead of Jack Nicklaus? Really?
I don’t know, nor do I care.

Jack was already considered one of the greatest ever when he conceded the putt. People were still mad at the time. Sam Snead especially. Today, people view it as it was - a great act of sportsmanship. It doesn’t matter who it was that did it, it was a moment that has defined the spirit of the Ryder Cup.

You are being one of the pissed off folks from 1969.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I don’t know, nor do I care.

Jac was already considered one of the greatest ever when he conceded the putt. People were still mad at the time. Today, people view it as it was - a great act of sportsmanship. It doesn’t matter who it was that did it, it was a moment that has defined the spirit of the Ryder Cup.

You are being one of the pissed off folks from 1969.
Nor do I care about what the consensus is. To concede a tournament when the guy putting to win has a 5% chance of missing is and will always be dumb to me. Sportsmanship in my book is being a gracious winner/loser and not cheating or taking liberties. It doesn't matter how accomplished the person doing it is - giving up is giving up and isn't a sign of sportsmanship.

Carolina Red

Staff
Nor do I care about what the consensus is. To concede a tournament when the guy putting to win has a 5% chance of missing is and will always be dumb to me. Sportsmanship in my book is being a gracious winner/loser and not cheating or taking liberties. It doesn't matter how accomplished the person doing it is - giving up is giving up and isn't a sign of sportsmanship.
Well, good thing we don’t have to worry about you making that decision in a Ryder Cup, then.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Well, good thing we don’t have to worry about you making that decision in a Ryder Cup, then.
Yeah. Best to let the only guy who's lost every round he's played in the tournament to do it instead.

FriedClams

It was actually 1%, but like you say, such a monumental mistake from Fowler, I’m sure 50 years from now everyone will be talking about it in the same breath as other well known mistakes, such as Portland drafting Sam Bowie, or Andre Escobars own goal

Ainu

It's impossible to dislike Hovland, what a player and what a character. Must be great to have someone like him on your team.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Can't listen to this. What's the gist?
Sorry to be delayed but the Sky report is nonsense. Cantlay wants to be paid for the Ryder Cup of course but he's not trying to protest. The US hats that they ordered don't properly fit him and that's why he hasn't worn one - so some intrepid reporter has linked the two bizarrely and it's all fake news.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Can't even be mad, Europe obviously deserved the win. It's simplistic to say, but honestly Scheffler as a world number 1 isn't scaring anyone until he learns how to putt. If he was an average tour-level putter I think he wins today 3&2 or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has a win in either the Ryder or President's cups thus far?

Carolina Red

Staff
Can't even be mad, Europe obviously deserved the win. It's simplistic to say, but honestly Scheffler as a world number 1 isn't scaring anyone until he learns how to putt. If he was an average tour-level putter I think he wins today 3&2 or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has a win in either the Ryder or President's cups thus far?
Scheffler went 2-0-1 in 2021 and beat Rahm head to head.

whitbyviking

Sorry to be delayed but the Sky report is nonsense. Cantlay wants to be paid for the Ryder Cup of course but he's not trying to protest. The US hats that they ordered don't properly fit him and that's why he hasn't worn one - so some intrepid reporter has linked the two bizarrely and it's all fake news.
Arent they baseball caps, which generally have a closing mechanism on the back that means they fit everyone? He must have an odd shaped head :lol:

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Arent they baseball caps, which generally have a closing mechanism on the back that means they fit everyone? He must have an odd shaped head :lol:
He didn’t wear one at the last Ryder Cup and Rory also hasn’t in the past so it’s definitely not the first time. Not wearing a hat as a protest would be so unbelievably dumb and one thing he isn’t, is dumb. He’s definitely said that they should be paid though. He’s very pro players aren’t getting enough of the pie.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There are people out there who can't wear adjustable hats due to the oblong nature of our domes. I am one of those people.

binary bot
The tanline suggestion sounded more likely than the protest - he’s getting married tomorrow

whitbyviking

There are people out there who can't wear adjustable hats due to the oblong nature of our domes. I am one of those people.
Never knew that was a thing, I know people with big noses can look a bit suspect in caps sometimes, but I’d never considered head shape an issue :lol:

I just think the whole thing is so daft, there are better things to talk about. Despite his conflict he was still outstanding at times this weekend, so managed to keep his focus

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Professional baseball players wear fitted caps typically - it is a bit odd that the Ryder Cup teams don't do this because speaking from personal experience a fitted cap is miles better.

Adjustable caps are always hit or miss - the circumference is unlikely to be the root issue.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Professional baseball players wear fitted caps typically - it is a bit odd that the Ryder Cup teams don't do this because speaking from personal experience a fitted cap is miles better.

Adjustable caps are always hit or miss - the circumference is unlikely to be the root issue.
Yep. The Flex 39THIRTY caps by New Era are perfect for just this, sizes S-M & L-XL ensure that basically any adult will get a good fit as the material stretches to accommodate. Weird that such wasn't used.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
That’s completely unacceptable, over stepping the mark there. You’d hope he will have received some reprimand from the American team for that. But what the hell is McIlroy doing picking a fight Bones, JT’s caddy? :lol: JT & McIlroy are big chums off the golf course, so that’s all a bit odd.