Gonzalo Higuain | Chelsea Player

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Ludicrous fee for Higuain. He's never been worth anything like that much, let alone at the age of 29!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How much was Depay? Something around 25-27m, if I recall correctly. Juve obviously overpaid, but they probably are getting the best striker 'available'. Don't think Juve can get anyone else better than him.
I think most strikers would become available for that money, the issue i guess is convincing one of the top tier strikers to join a flagging Serie A at their peak. Higuain is just about the only one in that venn diagram.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He's 35 but I get your point.
Even when he was at his peak at the age of 32-33ish then he was worth like £40m tops, now he's 38 I'd not even wanna pay upward of £20m.

Utdstar01

He's a good signing but I think the fee for him is even more ridiculous than the one we are reportedly willing to pay for Pogba. To think Juventus fans were taking the piss out of us for that :lol:

RC89

Judging for the time of transfer, Only Ronaldo, Zidane, thuram and Buffon were worth the money there.
Interesting that Juve have 3 transfers in this selection. Equal with the mighty Madrid!

2001 - Juve sells a french midfielder for a record fee and buy 2 players from their league rivals with the money. 2016....
Why not Ferdinand? 6 league titles, 1 cl, 2 more finals and was at one point the best defender in the world. Not to mention other trophies he went on to win.

Millertime88

Giroud gets 25 goals-ish a season for Arsenal. Gonzalo would comfortably get 30-40 a season there. Maybe not a popular opinion but if Arsene had balls and went all out for this guy, Arsenal would be very close to winning the league. Arsenal create a lot of chances regularly and they lack a reliable scorer.

I honestly feel like premier league fans reckon anyone not playing here isnt all that.
Well you "reckon" wrongly my friend. I or anyone who thinks there is a lack of talent outside of the EPL would be daft.

Higuain would at best go back to his scoring rate of around .5 goals a game like he did for Real. Could Arsenal use that in their team? Of course. Higuain would make them title challengers but so would the likes of buying something like a Lacazette and a good cb for around the same price as Higuain. Honestly though if any club should pay too much for signings it should be Arsenal just to change popular opinion of their club.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Well I'm stunned, if we'd signed this guy for £30 million I'd be thinking we'd overpaid.
I completely agree with your statement. Crazy price for him.

Funniest thing is all of the Arsenal fans who feel hard done for not getting him and blowing that cash on a rich mans giroud lol.
Have to agree. I'd be fuming if i was a Juve fan, it's pretty baffling.
Goalscorers are a hard-commodity to come by. This guy has consistently held a 20+ goal a season strike-rate over the last 7 or 8 years for Real Madrid and Napoli in two of the top 4 leagues in the world and hit 36 in 35 last season.

If you don't think that's worth £30m, then you don't understand the market anymore. Of courses what Juve have paid is a ridiculous amount, but let's not pretend he's a bag of shite when that clearly isn't the case.

As for the Arsenal comment - as mentioned previously if they had the guts to pull the trigger on somebody like Higuain they'd probably be favourites for the league. He'd score an absolute bucketload in their system.

MounchesterUtd

R.e. taking Juventus a step further in Europe...his goalscoring record outside of domestic campaigns is utterly atrocious.

Poor signing for that reason, unless he somehow improves in Europe.
This is what bothers me

If their ultimate goal is to end their CL drought, they put their fate in the hands of the worst possible player

pixel

:lol: You think we can spend 90m on a single player?
You could easily. There isn't that big of a difference between us/Madrid /barca and you guys in terms of finances. Plus with the new tv deal, even the bottom placed clubs will be rolling in it. Nah I think you can spend 90m on a player. I think it's Wenger who doesn't want to. Maybe he thinks its would mean he would have to deliver a title then, no longer would he be able to justify a top 4 finish.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
You could easily. There isn't that big of a difference between us/Madrid /barca and you guys in terms of finances. Plus with the new tv deal, even the bottom placed clubs will be rolling in it. Nah I think you can spend 90m on a player. I think it's Wenger who doesn't want to. Maybe he thinks its would mean he would have to deliver a title then, no longer would he be able to justify a top 4 finish.
We still have to bring in a CB and wide mid, having spent 40m pounds on three signings already. There's no way we're spending 90m on a striker and nor should we.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Neymar was more expensive. His "official" fee was just a lie. That would make Higuain the 4th most expensive.

Giggs86

Yes, exactly. Totally similar players and similar scoring records.
Similar bottling records :lol:

Joking aside you know what I meant, overpaying for a new player after selling the star player. No way Higuain worth 50M, let alone 100M.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Similar bottling records :lol:

Joking aside you know what I meant, overpaying for a new player after selling the star player. No way Higuain worth 50M, let alone 100M.
We don't need Higuain for bottling in champions league... we're expert in that ourselves. Lost 4 champions league finals :lol:

I think similar example would be United getting Van Persie. Quick fix by Fergie to make a push to win premier league in his last season.

I agree he is not worth that much amount. I'm still in shock that Juve will pay that much amount let alone on Higuain :lol:. Oh well 4 years ago, our striking options were Iaquianta, Vucinic and Matri :nervous:... have come a long way.

Last edited:

Mindhunter

Give it a rest mate. Arsenal fans are very happy with his strategy. For all it is worth they have been sold the "well run club" argument too well by the owners and Wenger. I have one at my workplace who talks the same way about not going for top players. When I suggested that it may be because Wenger doesn't want to increase expectations, he was surprised that anyone can think that way. Of course the "good football" argument started as well. Winning doesn't seem to be the ambition at that club.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We don't need Higuain for bottling in champions league... we're expert in that ourselves. Lost 3 champions league finals :lol:

I think similar example would be United getting Van Persie. Quick fix by Fergie to make a push to win premier league in his last season.

I agree he is not worth that much amount. I'm still in shock that Juve will pay that much amount let alone on Higuain :lol:. Oh well 4 years ago, our striking options were Iaquianta, Vucinic and Matri :nervous:... have come a long way.
But Juventus would win Serie A regardless of this signing and you are very unlikely to win CL even with Higuain. €90m for around 3 years of good service which won't really make you much better is an absurd sum to pay.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Are we 100% sure this isn't some shady deal by Serie A teams? I can't believe Juventus are a) stupid enough to pay that kind of money for Higuain, b) have that kind of money to spend on one player who isn't even that special?

Giggs86

We don't need Higuain for bottling in champions league... we're expert in that ourselves. Lost 3 champions league finals :lol:

Van Persie was a brilliant move by Fergie, without him we wouldn't have won the title. If Higuain will have the same impact at Juve then it's a great move regardless of how much he cost. However you and me in the same boat about that, the shocking fee Juventus paid is an unfortunate proof for you and a encouraging proof for me that Pogba's announcement is imminent.

The Higuain bottling I was referring to was in regard to his performances in the national team, he's doing great in Italy.

And sorry about the CL finals, I always have sympathized Juve ever since the epic 1999 battle, and last time I really wanted you guys to win it especially for Evra and Buffon.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Van Persie was a brilliant move by Fergie, without him we wouldn't have won the title. If Higuain will have the same impact at Juve then it's a great move regardless of how much he cost. However you and me in the same boat about that, the shocking fee Juventus paid is an unfortunate proof for you and a encouraging proof for me that Pogba's announcement is imminent.

The Higuain bottling I was referring to was in regard to his performances in the national team, he's doing great in Italy.

And sorry about the CL finals, I always have sympathized Juve ever since the epic 1999 battle, and last time I really wanted you guys to win it especially for Evra and Buffon.
Yes Juventus have already been well received at Old Trafford. Remember Fergie always praising Lippi's teams and can't forget Del Piero getting standing ovation.

and it's 4 champions league final defeats, by the way *cries*

MounchesterUtd

He also bottled a pen that should've sent Napoli to the CL, though tbf, he was a beast in that game and they wouldn't have been in that situation without him

The bottler tag actually started in those knockout games in the CL with Real Madrid

Are we 100% sure this isn't some shady deal by Serie A teams? I can't believe Juventus are a) stupid enough to pay that kind of money for Higuain, b) have that kind of money to spend on one player who isn't even that special?
Could be possible. Unlike England or Spain, Italian teams usually don't have any problem with selling to rivals.

m1y2

it's the biggest joke ever...okay I know there is a lack of "top" strikers around the world and he's proven one but he's turning 29 soon and he's never been that good. It's simply ridiculous. H's not even worth the third of the price and I'm the one who says Pogba is totally worth the money we are paying for him even though his real price could be obviously lower... It's just one of the best deals in the history of football made by Napoli... I actually smell some money laundering there.

the positive thing about is that Pogba is sold

pixel

Give it a rest mate. Arsenal fans are very happy with his strategy. For all it is worth they have been sold the "well run club" argument too well by the owners and Wenger. I have one at my workplace who talks the same way about not going for top players. When I suggested that it may be because Wenger doesn't want to increase expectations, he was surprised that anyone can think that way. Of course the "good football" argument started as well. Winning doesn't seem to be the ambition at that club.
Yeah, just amazes me that he has them so convinced.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah horseshit. We're in for players amounting to about 150m pounds net without Higuain transfer.

RedStarUnited

Neymar was more expensive. His "official" fee was just a lie. That would make Higuain the 4th most expensive.
The price on this team is correct. His official price by Barca when they signed him was around 55m euros.

Why not Ferdinand? 6 league titles, 1 cl, 2 more finals and was at one point the best defender in the world. Not to mention other trophies he went on to win.
I said at the 'time of transfer' Basically, what the player had achieved up to that point.

Well you "reckon" wrongly my friend. I or anyone who thinks there is a lack of talent outside of the EPL would be daft.

Higuain would at best go back to his scoring rate of around .5 goals a game like he did for Real. Could Arsenal use that in their team? Of course. Higuain would make them title challengers but so would the likes of buying something like a Lacazette and a good cb for around the same price as Higuain. Honestly though if any club should pay too much for signings it should be Arsenal just to change popular opinion of their club.
I see people continuously under rate players in other leagues in here, I mean someone said 30m would be too much for this guy! I bet they wouldn't say that if it was Harry Kane. Considering the fact that Lyon just said Lacazette is untransferable in an official statement, they would not be able to get him for cheap. The issue with Arsene for me is, he doesn't do whats necessary to make Arsenal title favourites. 3 years ago he thought Suarez wasn't worth 60m+, but he bought Ozil that summer then Sanchez the next for around 75m and now still needs a striker so will need to spend 30+ for that position too - Totalling 100m+. Had he pulled the trigger on Suarez and Ozil in the same summer, they would have won the league by now I am pretty sure of that.

flappyjay

The price on this team is correct. His official price by Barca when they signed him was around 55m euros.

I said at the 'time of transfer' Basically, what the player had achieved up to that point.

I see people continuously under rate players in other leagues in here, I mean someone said 30m would be too much for this guy! I bet they wouldn't say that if it was Harry Kane. Considering the fact that Lyon just said Lacazette is untransferable in an official statement, they would not be able to get him for cheap. The issue with Arsene for me is, he doesn't do whats necessary to make Arsenal title favourites. 3 years ago he thought Suarez wasn't worth 60m+, but he bought Ozil that summer then Sanchez the next for around 75m and now still needs a striker so will need to spend 30+ for that position too - Totalling 100m+. Had he pulled the trigger on Suarez and Ozil in the same summer, they would have won the league by now I am pretty sure of that.
Thank God he didn't. Ozil feeding the vampire would have been a nightmare for all pl teams...an ambitious manager would have done it though

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His transfer is a special case since they paid his parents a lot of money and they are neither his agents nor owned a part of him. That fee doesn't count as agent fees so in reality he cost about 87m euros plus agent fees.

RedStarUnited

His transfer is a special case since they paid his parents a lot of money and they are neither his agents nor owned a part of him. That fee doesn't count as agent fees so in reality he cost about 87m euros plus agent fees.
The 87m includes the 40 odd paid to his agents/parents. Barcelona president had to reveal that when hecwas charged with fraud.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26512767