Gonzalo Higuain | Chelsea Player

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think he gets undue flack from people desperate to see Messi win an international trophy. That said, when he was with Madrid I recall him fluffing chances when it mattered the most.

RedCurry

I think he gets undue flack from people desperate to see Messi win an international trophy. That said, when he was with Madrid I recall him fluffing chances when it mattered the most.
I think it has a lot to do with him being the third best forward for Argentina behind Messi and Aguero. He's practically the Welback of Argentina.

Raul Madrid

He is not worth that amount of money, but I hope he will do well there. His numbers in the league last season are incredible.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
R.e. taking Juventus a step further in Europe...his goalscoring record outside of domestic campaigns is utterly atrocious.

Poor signing for that reason, unless he somehow improves in Europe.

RooneyLegend

Selling Pogba and signing this guy is certainly strange. Why? This signing smells of a signing to win the CL. They won't be winning it imo if they sell one of their best players for the past 5 years, plus with no equivalent midfielders on the market that's attainable this doesn't make much sense. One step forward, one step back. In fariness, had they had Higuain with the chances they had vs bayern last season they'd have won, I guess that's why they felt the need to make this transfer.

RooneyLegend

He'll probably do very well at Juve given he's adapted excellently to the league, but he's just nowhere near the other players who cost around the same fee. He's more expensive than Suarez and isn't just a lesser player but multiple tiers inferior.
He's a single tier below at best.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I don't care what anyone says, he's a bottler. You can thump goals past crap teams like Torino all you like but if you can't do it on the big stages like in almost every final he has played in then well... he's a good player but 3rd most expensive of all time is taking the piss.

RooneyLegend

At best? Suarez is a proper elite player who can beat teams on his own. Higuin is a goalscorer. There's a huge gap between them.
Suarez is better than him obviously, but there isn't some huge gap between them. Higuain has proven absolutely lethal throughout his career(apart from like 3 games). While he can't do a lot of the crazy things suarez can do, they don't need him to given they have a strong team with the likes of dybala who can do such. Gerd Muller was a pure scorer, wasn't he a elite player? Goals count a lot in this sport, and freak scorers will thus count a lot too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Stupid signing at that money. They will not win CL with him

RedStarUnited

They have just signed the best players from the teams that finished directly below them. Killing that league aren't they.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Suarez is better than him obviously, but there isn't some huge gap between them. Higuain has proven absolutely lethal throughout his career(apart from like 3 games). While he can't do a lot of the crazy things suarez can do, they don't need him to given they have a strong team with the likes of dybala who can do such. Gerd Muller was a pure scorer, wasn't he a elite player? Goals count a lot in this sport, and freak scorers will thus count a lot too.
Why 3 games? His goalscoring record falls apart in Europe.

KGBhoy

I don't think it's stupid. They are (hopefully) using stupid money we will pay for Pogba to get Higuain. Regardless of his record for Argentina in the finals, he still has solid club stats whether it's at Real or at Napoli.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

stubie

Crazy to think it has taken 16 years for an Italian club to break Crespo's transfer record!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Very Happy. Striker department is sorted for the next 4-5 years and in that time we will slowly replace some of the ageing players we have in defence. The cherry on top of the cake would be keeping Pogba now.

We would have quite the team in the CL this season if we manage to hold onto him for another season.
The good news is you have temporarily killed Napoli - losing their scorer - & Roma - losing their best provider of assists.

I thought the Juve didn't like to spend a lot of money on a single player.

PSG fans generally consider Higuain as the equivalent of Cavani so not much love for Napoli players since the fiascos of Lavezzi & Cavani

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The good news is you have temporarily killed Napoli - losing their scorer - & Roma - losing their best provider of assists.

I thought the Juve didn't like to spend a lot of money on a single player.

PSG fans generally consider Higuain as the equivalent of Cavani so not much love for Napoli players since the fiascos of Lavezzi & Cavani
Cavani was good before he went to PSG. He has been finished since he moved there consistently under performing and not even looking like a Shadow of his former self at Napoli.

Higuain should be able to keep up his current level for atleast another 2 years and if we manage to get 4 good years out of him and hopefully win a CL in that time it will have been a success.

RedStarUnited

Judging for the time of transfer, Only Ronaldo, Zidane, thuram and Buffon were worth the money there.
Interesting that Juve have 3 transfers in this selection. Equal with the mighty Madrid!

2001 - Juve sells a french midfielder for a record fee and buy 2 players from their league rivals with the money. 2016....

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Cavani was good before he went to PSG. He has been finished since he moved there consistently under performing and not even looking like a Shadow of his former self at Napoli.

Higuain should be able to keep up his current level for atleast another 2 years and if we manage to get 4 good years out of him and hopefully win a CL in that time it will have been a success.
Cavani is a fantastic scorer TBH.

The issue is that he has lost his football because of the former coach - Laurent Blanc - who used him as a wing-forward for 3 years.

Cavani is a little bit like Trézéguet: not really born to play football but to score, score and score.

Aki_United

Insane, that's far to much for him. Do not rate him that high tbh.

Skorenzy

Whether it's undue or not, it's entirely understandable given the circumstances of his misses in those finals.
Obviously Messi fans will have an agenda, but looking at it objectively it's an unfortunate recurring trend that for once does seem to merit the description of "bottling it".

2014 WC Final : early on in the game he is gifted the ball by a bad backpass from Kroos, 1v1 he panics and rushes his shot which was admittedly not easy as it was a volley, but still... pretty terrible to fire it wide by such a distance in the end.
2015 CA Final : final minute of regular time and he can't put it away -- this one I don't even blame him at all, it was Lavezzi's overhit pass that fcked that move up completely, in my opinion anyone who blames him for this has an agenda. That said, he still failed in a decisive moment, being the first one to miss in the penalty shoot-out at 2-1. Sure, penalty misses happen to everyone of course, but put together with the rest it's easy to see why he's called a bottler.
2016 CA Final : again early on in the game, again he's gifted the ball by a defender and can run 1v1, he doesn't completely round Bravo and tries to dink it only for it to go just wide... easily the worst flop of the 3 instances, considering he was coming off the best season of his career and that he had scored 4 goals in the previous two rounds against Venezuela and the US.

It's not that just that he missed great chances, it's that he literally missed two complete gifts from the opponent early on in two major finals, both times 1v1s where he was in total control but somehow can't even hit the target from such an advantageous position...

AkaAkuma

Didnt a Chinese team try and sign him earlier this year? Whos to say Juve cant get atleast half the fee back if they decide to sell in the future?

Millertime88

Well I'm stunned, if we'd signed this guy for £30 million I'd be thinking we'd overpaid.
I completely agree with your statement. Crazy price for him.

Funniest thing is all of the Arsenal fans who feel hard done for not getting him and blowing that cash on a rich mans giroud lol.

RedStarUnited

I completely agree with your statement. Crazy price for him.

Funniest thing is all of the Arsenal fans who feel hard done for not getting him and blowing that cash on a rich mans giroud lol.
Giroud gets 25 goals-ish a season for Arsenal. Gonzalo would comfortably get 30-40 a season there. Maybe not a popular opinion but if Arsene had balls and went all out for this guy, Arsenal would be very close to winning the league. Arsenal create a lot of chances regularly and they lack a reliable scorer.

I honestly feel like premier league fans reckon anyone not playing here isnt all that.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Well I'm stunned, if we'd signed this guy for £30 million I'd be thinking we'd overpaid.
How much was Depay? Something around 25-27m, if I recall correctly. Juve obviously overpaid, but they probably are getting the best striker 'available'. Don't think Juve can get anyone else better than him.