Good player making a wrong career move

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Samuel Eto'o to Anzhi Makhachkala comes to mind. Ranked 3rd in the Serie A Capocannoniere, and scored a career high 37 club goals for the season, including a brace in the Coppa Italia final:

and the early opener vs. Bayern in a fiercely contested affair at the Allianz Arena:

Trailed only Messi and Gómez in the Champions League top scorers list. Decides he wants to prioritize money at age 30 instead of contending for the highest honors (something he'd done at both Barcelona and Internazionale):
"Today an agreement was reached between the football clubs Anzhi and Inter for the transfer of Samuel Eto'o. The terms of the transfer fully suited both sides," a statement on Anzhi's website said.

While financial terms were not disclosed, reports in Italy say Eto'o will be paid 20 million euros net per season, eclipsing the estimated 12m euros that Cristiano Ronaldo earns at Real Madrid and the 10.5m euros that Lionel Messi is paid by Barcelona.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...he-passes-medical-with-Anzhi-Makhachkala.html

That kinda marked the downturn of his career - Anzhi had financial problems, and Eto'o subsequently had a couple meh spells at Chelsea and Everton. When he could've instead propelled one of the leading Champions League clubs for 2-3 seasons in his early 30s.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
di Maria to United and PSG
Giovinco to MLS
Llorente to Swansea
Soldado to Tottenham
Torres to Chelsea
Bravo to City
Schweinsteiger to Utd
Welbeck to Arsenal
Anelka to Bolton and WBA
Anelka to Bolton was a very good move for him. He revived his big league career by going there and earned himself Chelsea move.

Gatti33

Ravel Morrison to West Ham.

I know he hadn't done anything at United to prove his ability but to be described by SAF as the best player he'd ever seen at that age surely if he'd didn't leave for the money and kept his head down he'd be a first team regular now.

FahadiHossein

I would like to reply to his post with a strict definition just to make my post a bit more interesting. I define players who made the wrong move as those who went to another club but his career went downwards so much that he became far below his previous level. So I am excluding guys like Torres (doing decent for Atletico by turning from Complete Forward to Target Man reached double figures in goals for Atletico for the first time in 5 years), Balotelli (rediscovering his touch even though you can say that Ligue 1 is rubbish), and Zlatan (rediscovered his form after leaving Barcelona). I am also excluding overweight, greedy and unmotivated players who are using their past reputation to con Asian clubs to pay for their services and later blame the club and the league for his lack of success (JERMAINE PENNANT, yes, I am looking at you).

Aleksander Hleb: Arsenal to Barcelona
One of the most feared inside forwards, he was one of the best players at Arsenal and in the world. He went to Barcelona and sat on the bench for a season, and seemed to have lost his mojo. He never reached the same level when he went on loan and was moving clubs yearly for a few years until he suffered an injury. He is now moving across clubs regularly as well.

Park Chu Young: Monaco to Arsenal
Wasn't he a first team player at Monaco? A last minute panic buy, he never really started for Arsenal. He was not even on the bench. He got loaned to several clubs and never made the grade too. He became deemed to be not suitable for European level after this and he has moved back to the Korean league.

Julio Baptista: Sevilla to Real Madrid
My friends called him 'the Animal'. They talked about how strong and powerful he was and how he ripped center backs apart. Lost his magic after Sevilla and he was being moved around from club to club. I saw him and Richard Dunne going for the same ball, and he was completely destroyed by Richard Dunne. Maybe the La Liga defenders he faced were weaker.

Francis Jeffers: Everton to Arsenal
Poor guy. Got injured so often at Arsenal that he hardly even played. Was labeled one of England's best prospects but went to zero in a span of a few years. He then went to play for clubs in Australia.

Reactions: Invictus

Green_Red

Kaka to Real has to be counted? Milan was his home.

Fabregas to Barca too? Was doing brilliantly at Arsenal then went to essentially keep the bench warm

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid, :(.
:lol:

I'm surprised Mario Götze to Bayern hasn't been mentioned yet. :wenger::devil:

Ödegaard to Real Madrid - at least it seems to be the wrong move, time will tell.
That's the key, for all players' moves BTW, including Götze. Hindsight is a beauty but not around when players decide their next destination.

Predictions of pundits and fans who'll cut it where and who won't turn out to be so often so wrong that it's not more valuable than reading the horoscope.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
RVP to united :nervous:

was a good move for us, but for him?
I obviously don't know him in person but he comes across as someone who appreciates the experience of living/playing abroad. (His missus not so much IIRC.)

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Januzaj to Dortmund, he needed first team experience and thought he was good enough to walk into their team.
Giuseppe Rossi to Newcastle, but that was more down to them not picking him than the player's attitude.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yann M'Vila going to Rubin Kazan at 23 when he could've gone anywhere else in Europe.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Beckham to Real Madrid

He would be a United legend by now

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Zaha to United. Too much too soon. Very unpolished but is now proving to be a solid Premier League player. We signed him and loaned him back for 6 months. It should have been 18 months. Shame the manager who signed him then retired as well. Moyes didn't seem to want tricky wingers and even seemed to prefer Young and Valencia to Nani. I'd like to think Fergie could have gotten a lot out of him if he had postponed retirement by a year.

salford_

Jody Morris was offered a 5 year contact at Chelsea but turned it down and moved to Leeds United for guaranteed first team footy. 3 months later Abramovic had bought Chelsea and within 12 months Morris moved to Millwall.

Morris was not a great player but he could have had a far better career than he did.
Jody Morris was touted as future England captain once.

salford_

Brian Laudrup probably regrets going to Chelsea if asked. Sheer brilliant for Rangers.
Bony to City

Gopher Brown

Ravel Morrison to West Ham.

I know he hadn't done anything at United to prove his ability but to be described by SAF as the best player he'd ever seen at that age surely if he'd didn't leave for the money and kept his head down he'd be a first team regular now.
fecking hell. Have you ever read anything on this forum before?

Siorac

I obviously don't know him in person but he comes across as someone who appreciates the experience of living/playing abroad. (His missus not so much IIRC.)
I'm trying to figure what this has to do with Van Persie's move to United.

Which, I think, was a better move for him than for the club. But that probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread.

Jackylad

He wasn't.

Dunno how it was the wrong career move though. I mean from all accounts he was performing brilliantly at spurs before he idiotically injuried himself, even then he earned himself a move to lazio.
Money. Overall though, the transfer pretty much wrecked his life, not his career, I mean look at him now.

If he'd signed for Utd, things could have been completely different. Spurs, with Venables in charge, allowed the players to get away with loads more than Gazza would have been able to with SAF.

All purely hypothesis though, who knows how things would have turned out.