Goodbye David Gill

Gazza

The point isn't whether he was "supposed" to quit when they came in etc. It's actually perfectly possible that his praise for the Glazers is genuine, and it was prior to their arrival, when he came out with the above, that he was expediantly putting his own principals on hold.

The point is that he is demonstrably not a man who can be trusted to say what he really thinks. He completely changed his opinion based on the situation, taking anything he says at face value is foolish.

Of course, this is all the mark of a succesful businessman, very few of whom have got where they are today by a policy of honesty and openness.

But it doesn't make him the loveable hero some make him out to be.
Well yes, so why on earth would you? He's a CEO, he'd be doing a shit job if he ran his mouth off with every opinion he had.

Gazza

Also, "lovable hero"? :lol:

That is a minority opinion, I haven't even seen it myself. It's quite different to suggesting he's not a dishonorable cnut, which a lot of people jumped in to accuse him of

JP77

Woodward has been vice chairman for about seven years, shouldn't be too many worries there.

I choose to ignore the people that shit on Gill, as I try to with the same morons that tried protesting the Glazers etc.

Cevno

I would imagine he has resigned from the club to either be part of FA at a higher role or UEFA at a higher role than the executive committee ?

hp88

What about criticising and openly admitting a move would be bad for a club, before bending over backwards and accepting 600+ milllion pound debt despite his intense 'love for the club'. Thanks for the stability Dave!

Not only that, but he has been active in cutting all ties with fan groups, and in the last two years since the green and gold campaign, has pretty much banned any dialogue whatsoever.
Also presiding over the ridiculous 'ACS' ticket scheme.
I would say good riddance, but the only problem is the new fella will probably be a feckload worse :mad:
He would have been out of job if he hadn't of "bent over" for the Glazer family, you have realise he's an employee so at times he will be forced into saying things he doesn't fully agree with. As for refusing to talk with supporters group I share the same views as you, by doing this the club has caused a rift between the club and certain match going reds. The ACS is hit and miss, we all moan about but at the same time we are grateful for it, take the Madrid game for example. As for Woodward not sure what to expect seems to be a guy who is good with numbers.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Hounding Gill for the "Road to ruin" stuff doesn't really make sense

He said that when he was working under a different ownership structure. Of course when the new owners came he had to change that line completely. But he was acting professionally, doing his job with the club's interests at heart, each time. People who wanted him to roar out of the club and make a scene just have a different idea on what the best way to handle the situation was, but that doesn't mean it's fair to call him every name under the sun.
True indeed - also I doubt many people remember the exact context of that quote.
He said it when the Glazers made their initial offer (which actually had even more debt than we ended up with) which the club rejected, then the Glazers came back with an improved offer which involved them putting more of their own cash in and at that point Gill and the board were pretty much forced to recommend it whether they liked it or not.

So the idea that Gill is hypocrite over the debt is not entirely true because things changed a fair bit from when he made the quote to the offer that was eventually accepted - even then he had little choice really anyway because the fans didn't buy enough shares to block the Glazers.

I'm gonna miss David Gill. I think he's done a great job considering the circumstances. Lesser men could have destabilised our club with their decisions but he always seems to have acted in it's best long term interests. You look at the divided boardrooms at some clubs and we should be thankful that him and Sir Alex work together so well. The success on and off the pitch is testament to that.

Good luck to Ed Woodward. I have faith that promoting from within will keep the ship steady.

pj stretfordend

Gill was just a pawn for the glazers how can you criticise your bosses and retain your job its not possible.
Not a great lover of gill but compared to Kenyon he was great for the club

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Woodward's first time working in the transfer market :nervous:

Cevno

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC

Re David Gill's departure from #MUFC. Worth noting that David Bernstein reluctantly steps down as FA chairman in mid-July

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
wtf, where did my post go?

anyway, Woodward was at JP Morgan when they assisted the leverage buy-out of United.

At least if we are 1 down on the pitch, we can bring on The Equalizer

Sir A1ex

The point isn't whether he was "supposed" to quit when they came in etc.
So what was he supposed to say once the takeover went through?
Again, he wasn't "supposed" to do anything in particular as far as I'm concerned.

He's just some bean-counter running a large company, and will act accordingly. I've got nothing in particular against him, but nor do I have any emotional bond or heightened respect for him (as I do with SAF and many players).

His leaving interests me about as much as any other appointments etc I come across in the business news. I'm more than sure we'll find a competent replacement.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
SAF must be disappointed. They genuinely seemed to have a good working relationship.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's cool to hate the Chief Exec, right guys? Just like Coldplay.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
This thread just reminded me what a cnut that peter kenyon is

ciderman9000000

Blue Moon said:
His only purpose and sole aim is to try and destroy us..
They're lunatics.

If ever any bitter, paranoid bollocks of this ilk rears its head on the caf, there's always a majority of sensible voices ready and able to nip it in the bud and label those talking shit as Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Over on BM and RAWK they all just go with it.

The only comparable situation here on the caf would be when so many found themselves brainwashed by the MUSTmob, but at least that was a delusion only involving our own club, and even then it was quashed once levels of madness reached a crescendo. BM and RAWK just go on and on and on; irrecoverably obsessed with the notion that United represents the purest form of Evil.

Traub

I always got the feeling that he got mugged a few million every transfer.