Government intervention against a Super League

The Original

They might. In three years, when the process is resolved. The simple fact is, right now, FIFA and UEFA can do what it likes until a Court orders otherwise.
Not if provisional measures are ordered, which would basically state that FIFA/UEFA must not restrict participation until the case is substantively decided.

cyberman

They aren't going to do anything. A simple letter saying the domestic league won't be affected and the government will forget this ever happened.
Yep. A promise to cap spend solves 99 percent of the problems being put forward on here.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If any government is seen to have saved football in this country, they'll have shored up the next election irregardless of what they do around Brexit/Covid.

This is definitely something they'll pursue if possible.

Lynty

If any government is seen to have saved football in this country, they'll have shored up the next election irregardless of what they do around Brexit/Covid.

This is definitely something they'll pursue if possible.
The next general election is too far away for this to effect opinion. If a general election was due this year, the outcome of this would certainly sway a vote. But a shit load will happen between now an May 2024

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The next general election is too far away for this to effect opinion. If a general election was due this year, the outcome of this would certainly sway a vote. But a shit load will happen between now an May 2024
True - but if there's a buzz/feel-good factor around the government following our vaccination process/potential economic bounce back - alongside curtailing the Super League - it's not beyond the realms of reality that Boris looks to sure up his position by bringing the election forward by a year or so.

Guy Incognito

I think Ofcom have the power to stop the TV contract if it is viewed as anti competitive. Which it is.
DCMS could force the league's hand by making the games category A in the UK (ie: like the Olympics and World Cup, it has to be free to air).

The owners won't like that.

Gasolin

I think it needs to be a combined pressure from the UK government acting a bit like a dictatorship on this one, meaning that the US owners will understand clearly that they will lose any legal action intended in the UK, however the outcome. And the sponsors. The public pressure on sponsors to threaten to negatively impact their image if they ever try to be associated with the ESL. Those are the only 2 levers we have in my opinion.

Don't Kill Bill

Forget the Govt for a minute.

The other premier league clubs want the six punished this season. If they dock them 100 points for bringing the game into disrepute then Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will be relegated. and the league gets won and champions league qualification decided amongst the rest of the premier league. That is all within the authority of the FA and Premier League.

GazTheLegend

My post from another thread.

It's an oligopoly in my opinion. The government has measures to control this abuse of power and there are past examples of breaking up companies or preventing mergers.

I believe they can do something. Whether they want to take these clubs on in a legal battle is something else.
God I hope it happens. Removing the glazer's, mansour, and Abramovich all in one fell swoop would be an incredible coup for football fans.

The Original

I think it needs to be a combined pressure from the UK government acting a bit like a dictatorship on this one, meaning that the US owners will understand clearly that they will lose any legal action intended in the UK, however the outcome. And the sponsors. The public pressure on sponsors to threaten to negatively impact their image if they ever try to be associated with the ESL. Those are the only 2 levers we have in my opinion.
So collusion of the executive and the judiciary just as in Third World coubtries?

Gasolin

So collusion of the executive and the judiciary just as in Third World coubtries?
That’s the only message they will understand my friend. Once they realize they have no chance to win it because money doesn’t mean much in that specified case, they will back down.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don’t think there’s much UK gov can do with that, perhaps antitrust action on EU level is the only political way to stop the super league. Not to mention BoJo and his pals are surely first people that spring to my mind who would oppose oligarchs getting richer, they must hate elitist cliques with passion.
Nah, it won't work. Those are to prevent monopolies, while here we have a dozen of clubs, so it is not a monopoly. And they seem perfectly happy to stay in their leagues. So the only change is from a semi-open UCL * to a semi-open ESL.

* Let's be fair, it is a semi-open competition. Some countries have more clubs there than others (and mostly, it is not based in the population).

The Original

That’s the only message they will understand my friend. Once they realize they have no chance to win it because money doesn’t mean much in that specified case, they will back down.
At what cost? Once the concept of separation of powers is breached on any grounds or justification, it's a very slippery slope.

The market must be left to decide. If demand falls, the concept will fail.

hanovercigars

The government could begin legislation for a 50+1 rule but it would have huge ramifications for the greater economy. Foreign investors will be really cautious investing their money on UK private companies or PLCs if they know the government can force them to sell the investments against their wishes. I doubt the government will go down this route especially during COVID.

ratburger

UK government should just pass a law increasing taxes to 90% on any club that is a member of a league with automatic qualification, ie. no relegation.

RoyH1

For all the talk about the EU doing something, there's a principal case that's pretty relevant here. In 2014 a couple of Dutch speed skaters won an antitrust complaint against the International Skating Union when they were forbidden by ISU to take part in an sporting event organized by a South Korean company. The EU regulators ruled that the skaters were free to work in an event outside ISU oversight.
I'm sure the Super League lawyers know of this

Dante

Average bang
For all the talk about the EU doing something, there's a principal case that's pretty relevant here. In 2014 a couple of Dutch speed skaters won an antitrust complaint against the International Skating Union when they were forbidden by ISU to take part in an sporting event organized by a South Korean company. The EU regulators ruled that the skaters were free to work in an event outside ISU oversight.
I'm sure the Super League lawyers know of this
So you're saying that Brexit could be the saviour of world football?

SwedishFish

Forget the Govt for a minute.

The other premier league clubs want the six punished this season. If they dock them 100 points for bringing the game into disrepute then Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will be relegated. and the league gets won and champions league qualification decided amongst the rest of the premier league. That is all within the authority of the FA and Premier League.
Yes, the Premier League will certainly kill their golden gooses by relegation with the global drop in revenue that follows. :rolleyes:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
All for the government to step in on this. Hopefully FIFA will relax their rule for this particular time. As said before, enforce a German model in the UK 51% ownership by the fans.

Gasolin

At what cost? Once the concept of separation of powers is breached on any grounds or justification, it's a very slippery slope.

The market must be left to decide. If demand falls, the concept will fail.
I don't know about that, there will be a market because that game has gone beyond boarders and it's not just the UK fans. Not a dig to international fans as I am one, but I can see that working out still then.

Revan

Assumptionman
UK government should just pass a law increasing taxes to 90% on any club that is a member of a league with automatic qualification, ie. no relegation.
That law won't stand in courts unless it gets done for all football businesses.

spiriticon

You realise they can rellocate to lower tax havens like Dubai
Well they can't physically relocate Old Trafford at least. Most of the match-going business will have to operate in the UK.

Or perhaps they'll just build a new stadium in Dubai for the home games too. Wouldn't put it past the Glazers

RoyH1

Go on Boris. Tax the feck out of the big 6.
There’s not a judge in the country who wouldn’t rule against that.
In modern free market societies, there’s little to do against this. It is only via international outrage and popular outcry that this can die. The fact that those clubs
do this at a time where there are closed stadiums everywhere is a fabulous coincidence for them. No banners and chants in the stadium to censor

Gasolin

You realise they can rellocate to lower tax havens like Dubai
That's why the first law they pass is to forbid all football clubs to leave a stadium without an approval process. You can leave if you want, but you won't take the club.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's why the first law they pass is to forbid all football clubs to leave a stadium without an approval process. You can leave if you want, but you won't take the club.
Dude, England is a democratic country with a clear separation of executive and judiciary branches. The government cannot go full dictatorial for such a trivial thing as football. Every judge would say to the government to go and feck themselves.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The idea of the Tories objecting to this is absolutely hilarious to me.