Government intervention against a Super League

Lynty

Well they can't physically relocate Old Trafford at least. Most of the match-going business will have to operate in the UK.

Or perhaps they'll just build a new stadium in Dubai for the home games too. Wouldn't put it past the Glazers
Don't tempt them.

RedRover

Not if provisional measures are ordered, which would basically state that FIFA/UEFA must not restrict participation until the case is substantively decided.
Obviously. Would that happen? Maybe, maybe not.

If they take that decision, they'll do so with reference to a legal basis for doing it. Things like that take time to unravel. And also, there's jurisdictional issues here. Players who this effects are based in three countries, but also play for countries scattered across the world. It's messy to say the least.

tapskats

I wonder if there is a lawyer in here who also happens to know a fair bit about football rules?

I genuinely think there's no legal recourse here. It is quite clearly not illegal to create tournaments without merit-based qualifications, as tournaments like these are hosted every summer during pre-season. The keyword here is 'summer', though. If there is a rule that prevent such tournaments from happening during the season, then we might have a chance here.

If not, then the only thing that will work is long-term boycott and media outrage.
100%

lysglimt

Scout
The only thing that has annoyed and provoked me more than this Super League - is FIFA and UEFA going out and claiming they will stop players from participating for the national teams. That is such a childish and wrong attack on a completely innocent group. I can guarantee there wasn't a single player who knew anything about this 48 hours ago. So why should they be puniished ?

If they had said - any player signing for these clubs will be banished from the national team, then at least the players have a choice. There isn't a single player who can do anything about this short-term - sure they can ask for a transfer, but they can't just walk away from the team without being sued. They are under contract. So to punish them for something like this is just insane

scottunited7

Left and right its all an illusion governments do not care about the people only care about themselves and pushing media hoaxes even football is the same concept as the gladitorial arenas give them bread + entertainment and they will never rebel

Crimson King

It's really hard to take anything the Tories say about this seriously after their culture war/Brexit shenanigans, selling off the NHS by stealth, the chumocracy PPE contracts and lobbying scandals...

I mean we could go on forever about this being a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

redshaw

Not sure it's right or even possible to "step in". They can advise against it and so can the fans and everyone else and even boycott the clubs and competitions but the ESL just an alternative competition/format, you could propose/create 2 more, 20 more or 20k more, doesn't mean any of it will work. If the Uefa comps can't hold together then in comes something new. People have the power ultimately for any new comp set up in how they support it or not

RoyH1

The only thing that has annoyed and provoked me more than this Super League - is FIFA and UEFA going out and claiming they will stop players from participating for the national teams. That is such a childish and wrong attack on a completely innocent group. I can guarantee there wasn't a single player who knew anything about this 48 hours ago. So why should they be puniished ?

If they had said - any player signing for these clubs will be banished from the national team, then at least the players have a choice. There isn't a single player who can do anything about this short-term - sure they can ask for a transfer, but they can't just walk away from the team without being sued. They are under contract. So to punish them for something like this is just insane
Yes the reaction has been absolutely hysterical from them. I can only assume that this has rattled them even more than we know.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Great Thread. Succinct.

The idea that Everton could qualify, then beat all the superpowers, against all odds.... and still earn less than Barcelona would for losing every game 5-0. Disgusting.

These people are ghouls. Genuinely ashamed to be associated with this.

ReddBalls

Well, they are the ones
Call me cynical but Perez as the initial main president is a deflection from this being a purely American capitalist takeover of a European cultural icon. It should be fought tooth and nail by the powers that be in Europe.
RM is desperate for money and the Glazers have ties to JP Morgan which is bankrolling the Superleague. It's easy to do the math.

Eric_the_Red99

I suspect this is mostly the Tories just virtue signalling to their red wall voters, knowing it will give them favourable optics on social media.

I can’t see what the government can do, besides introduce the German-style rules on football club ownership. But that’s more of a long-term thing, which will have more far reaching consequences than blocking the Super League.

At the end of the day, governments of various colours have sat back and allowed the likes of Murdoch, the Glazers, oil billionaires, etc to carve up football between them, with little regard for football and its fans.

Reactions: jojojo

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I couldn't care less (did I do that right?) what motives the government and political parties have. In my opinion, if they can put a stop to this shambles AND get rid of foreign owners (or at least one of the two), I'm all in.

dave1956

What Parliament can do is introduce laws which give fans 51% share in the club, so that owners are required to hold a vote on these proposals. Also they can enforce or change the rules on residency and work permits and the legal requirements regarding the ownership of clubs.

pav1790

Nah, it won't work. Those are to prevent monopolies, while here we have a dozen of clubs, so it is not a monopoly. And they seem perfectly happy to stay in their leagues. So the only change is from a semi-open UCL * to a semi-open ESL.

* Let's be fair, it is a semi-open competition. Some countries have more clubs there than others (and mostly, it is not based in the population).
It’s at least based, with a lot of intertia, on how well the country s teams do in European competition.

redNATION

What Parliament can do is introduce laws which give fans 51% share in the club, so that owners are required to hold a vote on these proposals. Also they can enforce or change the rules on residency and work permits and the legal requirements regarding the ownership of clubs.
My suggestion in another thread was simply to impose a tax on earnings from the ESL, like 90% income tax and 100% tax on gate receipts at ESL matches.

Taxation is the prerogative of the state and can’t be challenged, these clubs want to be filthy rich, well they can hand over the excess wealth back to society. It would have the support of the population, especially with the huge holes in government budgets due to Covid-19

dave1956

I like that idea, it will hit them where it hurts with no legal address

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
This is absolutely what Parliament should do. Enacting the 50%+1 ownership model (at least for the Premier League) would also prevent this or other shameless cash grabs from happening in the future without approval of the supporters. It's a major reason that German football tickets are much cheaper than in England, among other considerations. It would certainly limit the external investment as seen from Abramovich and Mansour, but it would reduce the incentive for leeches like the Glazers, Kroenke, and FSG to try to wring every penny from the clubs at the expense of everything else. Still, there is an incentive to own 49% of a £2-5bn club for the elite clubs although most owners won't want to share control.

There should also be some sort of financial controls to prevent clubs from spending beyond their means and threatening their continued existence. The financial realities of football in England, as well as other countries, have pushed clubs to spend more and more to chase the reward of promotion or the Champions League, jeopardizing clubs like Portsmouth, Bury, Blackburn Leyton Orient, etc. over the past decade.

Ultimately, sports exist for the benefit of their supporters and communities. They should operate solely to perpetuate themselves and to compete at the highest possible level.

In the US, the Green Bay Packers are fan owned (the only fan-owned franchise in American professional sports because the NFL banned it after they joined--can't have teams in tiny towns).

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If they do block it, they’ll secure power for a generation.
They've already had power for a generation and show no signs of losing at the moment even with Brexit, COVID-19, corruption, and general incompetence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Government forcing in 50+1 rule would be a dream scenario. Seize control of large amounts of the clubs who don't want to relinquish it, buy fairly from those that are fair about it. Give to the fans to ensure it never happens again. Should have been brought in ages ago, but here we are.

SambaBoy

Written in every players contract is that the club can't do anything that stops them competing for their national team. If they enter the super league and subsequently, they're unable to play for their national team then it's a breach of contract and the players have the right to walk away.

In all honesty, it'll never reach that point. I'm not sure what's going to happen with this super league, obviously there's a lot of objection to it, but if the clubs want it to go ahead then it probably will do.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Government dont represent the average person. All they have to do is say things you like to hear to win your sympathy. "They tried'. Which is bigger? Banks or government? The foundation is rotten.