Government will attempt to prorogue Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

yes I know that very well, again, the point is that before dissolution comes adjournment or our new trendy word prorogue, dissolution and a GE. And that's what is happening here.
No it isn't, if he wants to call a general election then all he has to do is put dissolution to the house and they have to vote for it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
At what stage of this process have the DUP ever led you to believe they give a single feck about the needs of Ireland (North or South) over their own archaic, bigoted desires?
Never.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I bet the Queen is absolutely delighted with her new PM.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if she said NO.
She is an intelligent woman who knows that Brexit increases the likelihood of the breakup of the Union. Something she is very much against, especially at the end of her reign.
:lol:

Aw, bless.

The idea The Queen will do anything to stop a right wing government is the height of fantasy.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Tbh there's so much contradictory info out there from learned people on both sides, suggesting it is all at least partially down to interpretation of precedents etc...
Well, there isn't. It's pretty much black and white when it comes to the defintion. I've looked at several articles now just to confirm and they're all saying the same thing.

Prorogation - Suspend
Dissolution - End

Parliament is prorogued at the end of a session, but the same MPs will meet up again after taking a break. (suspending)
When Parliament is dissolved, it is the end of that Parliament, and a new general election must be held before the next one. (ending)

They're actually very different. Hence why I questioned Stanley initially when he mentioned Dissolution as that is not what Boris is trying to do.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Well, there isn't. It's pretty much black and white when it comes to the defintion. I've looked at several articles now just to confirm and they're all saying the same thing.

Prorogation - Suspend
Dissolution - End

Parliament is prorogued at the end of a session, but the same MPs will meet up again after taking a break. (suspending)
When Parliament is dissolved, it is the end of that Parliament, and a new general election must be held before the next one. (ending)

They're actually very different.
Not talking semantics, more what it means for the country in terms of the legality of doing it now.

Smores

So the point of starting the new session is..?
He doesn't know the answer to that because it's a nonsensical statement to make.

You might prorogue parlaiment for a few days if you were intending to put forward dissolution for practical purposes. A month suspension serves no purpose towards a general election, none

Mockney

Thank you for your condescending response.
Well, maybe you’ll think twice next time before fetishising the head of our monarchy as some kind of fluffy bastion of liberal good will, rather than an ancient old woman and imperial relic with a racist husband and pedophile son, heavily invested in the power of the Conservatives and the continuing consolidation of old money.... just sayin’

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
yes I know that very well, again, the point is that before dissolution comes adjournment or our new trendy word prorogue, dissolution and a GE. And that's what is happening here.
The actual point is that just because I cross the road every time I go to the shop does not actually mean that every time I cross the road it's because I'm going shopping.

What you are obviously missing is that prorogation prior to dissolution is pursuant to an election being called and voted upon by the whole Commons. The fact one hasn't been called obviously demonstrates that this particular prorogation is of a different character - ie one that just ends a parliamentary session.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Guess the timetable is now fully set
Parliament back on 2nd and labour Calls confidence motion to be debated 3rd
3rd... Confidence debate and potentially a pretty interesting pmq's
4th? Fek knows...

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Is this exactly how Nazi Germany started? I'm not up to speed on my history.

WensleyMU

So the point of starting the new session is..?
To end the previous session which, if we are all honest about it, achieved nothing, was deadlocked and served no purpose.

Effectively this has killed any and all bills and amendments currently outstanding.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not talking semantics, more what it means for the country in terms of the legality of doing it now.
It's got nothing to do with semantics though. Dissolution is completely different, what Boris is doing is prorogation. All i'm doing is correcting the people (Stanley) who incorrectly said it was dissolution.

From what i've read dissolution guarantees an election as it dissolves Parliament (hence the name), prorogation does not, they all return after the prorogation has ended. I'm just correcting misinformation.

Last edited:

Dobba

Well, maybe you’ll think twice next time before fetishising the head of our monarchy as some kind of fluffy bastion of liberal good will, rather than an ancient old woman and imperial relic with a racist husband and pedophile son, heavily invested in the power of the Conservatives and the continuing consolidation of old money.... just sayin’
Come on, that isn't fair.

You forgot about her paedophile second cousin once removed and her other son, Peter Ball's best mate.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's got nothing to do with semantics though. Dissolution is completely different, what Boris is doing is prorogation. All i'm doing is correcting the people (Stanley) who incorrectly said it was dissolution.

From what i've read dissolution guarantees an election as it dissolves the Government (hence the name), prorogation does not, they all return after the prorogation has ended. I'm just correcting misinformation.
Fair enough, but tbh all people really give a shit about is what this means for Brexit and will anyone be able to stop the Johnson shitshow.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

From what i've read dissolution guarantees an election as it dissolves the Government (hence the name), prorogation does not, they all return after the prorogation has ended. I'm just correcting misinformation.
That's not actually the case. The government nominally persists until the election. Being a Minister of the Crown is separate from being an MP. Crown duties continue even though parliament is dissolved.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fair enough, but tbh all people really give a shit about is what this means for Brexit and will anyone be able to stop the Johnson shitshow.
It's a delaying tactic ultimately from what I can gather. On the 14th October Parliament restarts, but all discussions previously have been closed. Meaning that it starts all over again, so the last few weeks of discussions have effectively been rendered obsolete. It's a method of increasing the chances of a no deal brexit ultimately.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So Boris has successful disolved parliament.
When do we start having conversations abouy our democracy at a basic level?
The concept of a monarchy is a fecking mess. Imagine Trump suspended Congress?

Smores

To end the previous session which, if we are all honest about it, achieved nothing, was deadlocked and served no purpose.

Effectively this has killed any and all bills and amendments currently outstanding.
And the point of ending the session is?

Come on, you'll get there eventually

Mockney

Come on, that isn't fair.

You forgot about her paedophile second cousin once removed and her other son, Peter Ball's best mate.
Yeah, and tbf, maybe Edward will bring back Its A Royal Knockout to lift our post-Brexit spirits? It’ll be just like the 2012 Olympics, when everything was great.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's a delaying tactic ultimately from what I can gather. On the 14th October Parliament restarts, but all discussions previously have been closed. Meaning that it starts all over again, so the last few weeks of discussions have effectively been rendered obsolete. It's a method of increasing the chances of a no deal brexit ultimately.
And the first several days will have to be spent debating the Queen's Speech

WensleyMU

And the point of ending the session is?

Come on, you'll get there eventually
It literally states why in the first line. To suspend the current session. To shut down all that went before and start fresh.

Now ministers have to start again, for everything that wasn't passed.

This of course takes time, and with a 31st October deadline, time is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.