Government will attempt to prorogue Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyadams

Is there any chance of the Queen refusing to do this, or Parliament blocking it before it happens?
I know it will never happen, but I think demographically pro-monarchists are more likely to be Brexiteers and pro-republic more likely to be remainers. If the Queen spoke out against Brexit what would the Brexiteers do? Or would their heads just explode.

NinjaFletch

I know it will never happen, but I think demographically pro-monarchists are more likely to be Brexiteers and pro-republic more likely to be remainers. If the Queen spoke out against Brexit what would the Brexiteers do? Or would their heads just explode.
They'd demand the Queen's head. Brexit is a cult.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Thought Brexit was about taking back control & sovereignty...

The govt argument that this has nothing to do with Brexit but is about crime & NHS is a pathetic joke. Trying to take a page out of Trump’s playbook & hide reality.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I wonder what the Queen voted. Does she get a vote in the referendum? Surely she must be a brexiteer?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Parliament will try to stop it
He will say the remoaner MP's are blocking brexit and use that as a reason to call for a general election
Strange timing though as it looked like the merkle 30 day thing was going to buy him enough time with most conservative rebels to ensure he survived a no confidence motion but this might tip the balance
Most probably thoughts the countermove to yesterday's opposition meetings saying they will look to push legistlation forcing a delay to brexit

Simbo

"Three privy councillors will see her today (led by Lord Pres of Council, Jacob Rees Mogg)"

Do the right thing ma'am.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It puts her in an incredibly difficult situation. She’ll be hoping parliament stop it before she has to get involved.
Yep which is why I expect/hope that she tells him to get fecked. It would be in her interest and the future interests of the monarchy to remain entirely neutral.

slyadams

I wonder what the Queen voted. Does she get a vote in the referendum? Surely she must be a brexiteer?
I highly doubt it. Given her extensive experience of the world and likely total ability to see through bullshit, she’d be a remainer.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yep which is why I expect/hope that she tells him to get fecked. It would be in her interest and the future interests of the monarchy to remain entirely neutral.
Telling him to get fecked would be just as bad for her though. She’s being asked to either refuse a legitimate request from the government (and it is, no laws are being broken) or to undermine the legitimacy of parliament. It’s a horrible situation to put her in, and could seriously damage the monarchies role.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Is there any chance of the Queen refusing to do this, or Parliament blocking it before it happens?
I don't think she can refuse really - she holds no power at all in reality. Also if she did refuse then that would be a political decision which goes against everything she has done in her lifetime of keeping political neutrality. She will do what she is told.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Telling him to get fecked would be just as bad for her though. She’s being asked to either refuse a legitimate request from the government (and it is, no laws are being broken) or to undermine the legitimacy of parliament. It’s a horrible situation to put her in, and could seriously damage the monarchies role.
I guess but I just think the obvious answer from her is that the UK is a democracy and matters like this should be dealt with by Parliament. Certainly the lesser of 2 evils from her point of view.

What happens if she agrees and then later this year people are fighting over the last loaf of bread in the local supermarket? I wouldn't want to be lording it up in Buckingham Palace in that scenario.

TheGame

He will say the remoaner MP's are blocking brexit and use that as a reason to call for a general election
Strange timing though as it looked like the merkle 30 day thing was going to buy him enough time with most conservative rebels to ensure he survived a no confidence motion but this might tip the balance
Most probably thoughts the countermove to yesterday's opposition meetings saying they will look to push legistlation forcing a delay to brexit
Yep this is his strategy all along. Go to polls saying opposition parties are blocking will of people and Brexit. He knows he can’t get hard Brexit through currently so will risk an election and hope people vote for him. Sadly there are some people who will but not sure he will get the majority he needs. I suspect some pact with the Brexit Party for sure.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Semantically that's an interesting post. A prorogation is legitimate if you use "legal" as its definition but if you use one of the other definitions such as justifiable or reasonable then that request isn't legitimate.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Semantically that's an interesting post. A prorogation is legimate if you use "legal" as its definition but if you use one of the other definitions such as justifiable or reasonable then that request isn't legitimate.
That's English for you. ;)

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You can sense that pr**ks Cummings hand in this. Maybe he’s getting them to force a no confidence motion in the hope Tory MPs won’t vote for it and they will win?
Can't see how they win a no confidence vote after this stunt. Even wavering MP's are going to have their spine stiffened by something this dramatic.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Aye. That's what this article in The New Statesman seems to be suggesting too...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...ohnsons-plan-prorogue-parliament-really-means

GloryHunter07

So apparently its a “win-win” for Boris.

If they get it through then hooray No Deal Brexit. If not they fight a “People vs Saboteur Parliament” General Election

Untied

The horrible position of **checks notes** fulfilling her constitutional role

Flying high

If they get it through then hooray No Deal Brexit. If not they fight a “People vs Saboteur Parliament” General Election
Yes I think that's the plan.

If there are any sensible tories left, they will have to act very soon.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Called it a month ago. Although I didn't expect him to have to prorogue to force MP's into action. Still think he has no real desire for a no deal, he just wants to be re-elected on the outrage when it’s stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.