Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

What a tit.
I think that quote goes someway to explaining why he doesn't like Pogba and why he was so terrible as a manager. He still thinks every midfielder's primary job is to stop the other team playing, and the wingers and forwards create for you, just as it was in his day. He doesn't realise in the modern game its not as black and white as that and some midfielders are given other priorities.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not true at all
If you think Pogba actually offers anything to us defensively then you are clueless. Go watch any game and you'll see him jumping up and down 10 yards outside of our box never actually picking up a man. When he actually does he then just slowly drifts away from them. His defensive game is a shambles.

Nick7

whats the point in comparing pogba to milner :lol: they're incredibly different players.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Was very hesitant to comment on this (Ha, I make out as if I know something, when all I am is a know nowt dick)
But, it's crossed a line here...

Initially, I could see his points of view in certain aspects of Pogba's game. Most of us have said the same things on here...

However, it's gone into "I hate him" territory now

SteveTheRed

whats the point in comparing pogba to milner :lol: they're incredibly different players.
TBF to Souness, someone asked him the question...as dumb as it may be.

But he is not wrong in his assessment of Pogba's defending. I think he has a point, only Ronaldo I can think of, gets away with it but he is playing as a striker, with his focus 100% on attacking, you can't have that mindset as a midfielder.

Jagga7

He's lost the plot with this one. Milner can run his socks off but he isn't even close to the talent level of Pogba. Pogba's a creative midfielder not a work horse.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
To be fair, Milner has been amazing this season. Certainly in better form at the moment.

It's weird though. I can't recall the last time a single pundit persisted in such a long and focused vendetta against a single player.
Gary Neville and De Gea.

kotha

Does he get asked repeatedly about Pogba or does he just keep on droning about him without any reason.. Seems to have issues..

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Souness with Pogba is ridiculous. The worst in my opinion was Gary Neville with Martial back when Neville was on the England coaching staff. He was furious about Martial keeping Rashford out of the team & slagged him off every game.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Never used this shit before so no idea how you usually link the results, a screenshot will have to do.

LoneStar

If I had to take a penalty, I'd rather face Messi than Joe Hart. Hence I would always take Joe Hart over Messi.

cyberman

TBF to Souness, someone asked him the question...as dumb as it may be.

But he is not wrong in his assessment of Pogba's defending. I think he has a point, only Ronaldo I can think of, gets away with it but he is playing as a striker, with his focus 100% on attacking, you can't have that mindset as a midfielder.
He's not a DM though?
That makes as much sense as comparing their offensive output

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Why does he come out with this shit after Pogba just scored two goals, one of which was a great goal, and provided a great assist for Martial and we won 3-0 away from home.

He’s so bitter it’s untrue. I have no idea why he’s still giving analysis of our games. He’s a complete and utter tit.

FujiVice

Dwight Yorke had a bust up with him at Blackburn.
Yorke says his time at Rovers effectively ended during an X-rated training ground row with manager Graeme Souness, the culmination of the duo’s fading relationship and Yorke’s increasingly bit-part role at Ewood.

He describes how during a five-a-side session, Souness ‘raked his studs down my shin’ leaving him to instantly walk off the field to inspect the damage.

He added: “Even if he had not intended it, the effects of his actions could easily have matched his threat to break my leg.”

The furious striker then ‘lost the plot’ as he confronted his boss in the canteen, swearing and shouting in front of the squad, before walking out and claiming ‘I will never play for you again’. He didn’t.

“Graeme was showing me no respect,” said Yorke.

“It came to a head in that incident on the training ground and that tackle.

"I have never experienced anything like it in my career before or after.

“It takes a lot and something really, really terrible to upset me.

"It really does, because I am a really easy-going person.

"Everyone who knows me will tell you I am a happy go lucky type of guy.

“That wound me up big time. In my 20-odd years it was a one-off.

"Maybe it was his way of showing me who is boss, but there are ways and means.

"We are all grown men. I was 31 at the time so treat me like that, don’t treat me like a kid.

“After that I couldn’t get away from his company and control quick enough.

"It ended whatever was left of the relationship I had with him.”

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If you think Pogba actually offers anything to us defensively then you are clueless. Go watch any game and you'll see him jumping up and down 10 yards outside of our box never actually picking up a man. When he actually does he then just slowly drifts away from them. His defensive game is a shambles.
Ok Graeme

Posh Red

Seems a bit extreme. Based on the stats another poster provided above it seems he does offer at least some defensive qualities to the team (although obviously not on the same level of someone like Milner, but that's the trade off). I really couldn't see Mourinho persisting with a midfielder that provides as little defensively as you suggest.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If a DMs job is to stop Pogba, and Pogba scores/assists/or has an important part in us controlling a game, then Pogba has stopped the other player hasn't he.

He had a job and Pogba stopped him doing it.

Inter Yer Nan

He gets worse and worse. This is genuinely one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say about football (I'm sure there's not even many Liverpool fans who'd agree with this statement) and explains why he was such a shit manager. He lets a personal feeling get in the way of understanding the game and what's happening.

It's obviously personal with Souness but what does that stem from? I think it's a grudge about the money and fame but I think Souness uses Pogba's fame and profile as a vehicle to get himself more exposure and get his name out there because he's a disgruntled, bitter old man that craves attention and he wasn't a good enough manager to get it or a charismatic enough pundit.

cyberman

DMs aren't the only players responsible for defending.
But it isn't the be all and end all for Pogba.
Kroos and Modric do little defending, thats why they brought Casemiro in. Its why they're guaranteed to concede in every big game they play in.
Sometimes a talented attacking player has to be ahead of the ball.
We abandoned a 2 man midfield a long time ago, he's as much of a midfielder as Coutinho is.
Pogba brings an all round game that few can, we shouldn't be expecting him to be elite in every area because of it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
But it isn't the be all and end all for Pogba.
Kroos and Modric do little defending, thats why they brought Casemiro in. Its why they're guaranteed to concede in every big game they play in.
Sometimes a talented attacking player has to be ahead of the ball.
We abandoned a 2 man midfield a long time ago, he's as much of a midfielder as Coutinho is.
Pogba brings an all round game that few can, we shouldn't be expecting him to be elite in every area because of it.
He has been costing us points by not doing basic tracking of players, not because he can't do it but he is just lazy in certain defensive tasks. We should expect him to be better at those tasks, as he is so well-rounded. Decent tackle, strong, reads play decent enough so it certainly isn't about his ability imo, but he just doesn't seem to give any focus to that part of the game. Souness doesn't know what he is saying tho, he is just bitter.

cyberman

He has been costing us points by not doing basic tracking of players, not because he can't do it but he is just lazy in certain defensive tasks. We should expect him to be better at those tasks, as he is so well-rounded. Decent tackle, strong, reads play decent enough so it certainly isn't about his ability imo, but he just doesn't seem to give any focus to that part of the game. Souness doesn't know what he is saying tho, he is just bitter.
Id argue its his contribution going forward that cost us games, not the failure to track Brightons runners.
An attacking player not being the greatest defensive player isn't uncommon to be fair

Dante

Average bang
He hates United. You guys hate him. Who gives a shit?

I like my pundits to be emotionally invested. The only person who shouldn't be that way is the commentator. The commentator is there to tell me the names of the players on the ball. Everyone else gives the match-watching experience a bit of colour.

I go to matches to enjoy the atmosphere created between rival fans. By the same token, I don't think I'd want a pundit who pretended they didn't have passion for the game.

I'd rather listen to a hater than a nothing-er.

Chip Butty

Supports
That lot
He hates United. You guys hate him. Who gives a shit?

I like my pundits to be emotionally invested. The only person who shouldn't be that way is the commentator. The commentator is there to tell me the names of the players on the ball. Everyone else gives the match-watching experience a bit of colour.

I go to matches to enjoy the atmosphere created between rival fans. By the same token, I don't think I'd want a pundit who pretended they didn't have passion for the game.

I'd rather listen to a hater than a nothing-er.
Spot on.

By the reaction of this thread he has done his job and there lies the beauty of having successful football players going into punditry, they have an opinion, as they are winners and as much as people disagree with them, you can't but help respect them.

Take Carragher and Neville, before the pairing by sky, the thought of these two even sitting in the same would of made the air crackle, but its been great - two of the most biased and competitive players in PL history, discussing, agreeing, disagreeing and upsetting everyone watching - yet people can't get enough of it.

To pick up on what you say, two nothinger's discussing a game would be drab and no one would watch or listen. Roy Keane's the same, you may disagree with him, you may even get to the point that you end up hating him, but you have to bloody well respect him and he makes people listen.

Makes you wonder why football shows persist with the Jermaine Jenas' and a Leon Osman's of the world. McGrath's and Souness' in a TV studio is what we want to see!