Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Spot on.

By the reaction of this thread he has done his job and there lies the beauty of having successful football players going into punditry, they have an opinion, as they are winners and as much as people disagree with them, you can't but help respect them.

Take Carragher and Neville, before the pairing by sky, the thought of these two even sitting in the same would of made the air crackle, but its been great - two of the most biased and competitive players in PL history, discussing, agreeing, disagreeing and upsetting everyone watching - yet people can't get enough of it.

To pick up on what you say, two nothinger's discussing a game would be drab and no one would watch or listen. Roy Keane's the same, you may disagree with him, you may even get to the point that you end up hating him, but you have to bloody well respect him and he makes people listen.

Makes you wonder why football shows persist with the Jermaine Jenas' and a Leon Osman's of the world. McGrath's and Souness' in a TV studio is what we want to see!
What Carra/Neville do and what Souness does are completely different though.
Showing emotion is fine but as long as it doesn't make you deluded and obtuse. The man cannot bring himself to praise Pogba for a single thing.
That is not bias, that is plain stupidity. Carragher is biased when United players do something well, he says it

Chip Butty

Supports
That lot
What Carra/Neville do and what Souness does are completely different though.
Showing emotion is fine but as long as it doesn't make you deluded and obtuse. The man cannot bring himself to praise Pogba for a single thing.
That is not bias, that is plain stupidity. Carragher is biased when United players do something well, he says it
I get what you are saying and you're probably right, those two are different. I just find that the 'in for a game, out for a game pundits' should be there in a way to shock and drive opinion. Pretty much what Souness does.

Personally, I don't think he hates Pogba, I feel he thinks, that here is a player who could be way better. Add to that, that there may be a generational thing going on from the yesteryear style centre-mid player, to the more modern player and that may be the real reason on why he gives him such a tough time.

Or I could be wrong in all this and Pogba has indeed, banged Souness' step daughter! :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It seems a generational thing to me.

Back when Sir Alex was managing he had lots of good things to say about the team and the players.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not the biggest advocate of Pogba, but:

Paul Pogba:
25 years old
Notable achievements:
4 Seria A titles
2 Italian Cups
1 League Cup
1 Europa League
The World Cup
Scored in Europa League Final
Scored in World Cup final
World's most expensive midfielder

James Milner:
32 Years Old
Achievements:
2 Premier League titles
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
Sensible haircut

If Pogba retired tomorrow, he'd, very obviously, be regarded as having been the better player.

Souness probably does need to stop doing this soon or he'll end up getting called out on it on air by someone, and he wont be able to explain himself without sounding like either a dick or some kind of racist.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's interesting that Souness would prefer Milner to Pogba because he also once said that you'll never win anything with a team of Milner's.

Changed his tune a bit since then.

AshRK

He hates United. You guys hate him. Who gives a shit?

I like my pundits to be emotionally invested. The only person who shouldn't be that way is the commentator. The commentator is there to tell me the names of the players on the ball. Everyone else gives the match-watching experience a bit of colour.

I go to matches to enjoy the atmosphere created between rival fans. By the same token, I don't think I'd want a pundit who pretended they didn't have passion for the game.

I'd rather listen to a hater than a nothing-er.
He need not like pogba but he has to do his job professionally. He has no right to question pogba's love for football. How can he know if pogba trains properly or not. Pogba scores 2 goals and he still questions s his attitude. I have never seen him give a proper analysis of the game but always sprouting shit.

Speedicut75

Step-daughter and she's pretty fit.
Perhaps Pogba could pop the question, and ask her to marry him? Oh, what a lovely ceremony that would be, with the bride's step-father placed in the recovery position after being tasered by the poilce for trying to headbutt the bride groom.

Last edited:

devil in me

Paul Pogba left France for England as a 14/15 year old. Then moved to Italy whilst still a teenager. He has probably trained pretty much every day since he was about 12 and dedicated his whole diet to being as physically fit and healthy as possible. All because of his footballing career, culminating in the guy winning the world cup only a matter of months ago.

How on earth can his dedication to football be questioned in any way ? It's ridiculous.

Drainy

Paul Pogba left France for England as a 14/15 year old. Then moved to Italy whilst still a teenager. He has probably trained pretty much every day since he was about 12 and dedicated his whole diet to being as physically fit and healthy as possible. All because of his footballing career, culminating in the guy winning the world cup only a matter of months ago.

How on earth can his dedication to football be questioned in any way ? It's ridiculous.
hair cuts

Fridge chutney

Because Pogba's "vices" are dancing and haircuts, instead of fried foods, ale and ciggies like Souness' would expect proper footballers to indulge in (like real men of his era).

Laurentiu amt

He s trying to put pressure on Paul as he s a scouse man, it s easy.

I think he s a bit of a lunatic and I m dead serious.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
It's not just two people, he's always overly critical of black players.
I’d be careful of accusations, without foundation if I was you.

He has been critical of many, many players over the years. He sees the player, and says it like it is. Just because a couple of them were black players doesn’t mean he is racist.

It’s a silly thing to say.

Champagne Football

Sounness picked up this biterness from Eamon Dunphy when working together at RTE. Dunphy has made a fortune out of over the top critisism of struggling young players shortly before they become the worlds best and Sounness learned that this is how you make money in this game by having everyone talking about how ridiculous your punditry is.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As a Benfica fan, I think it's ironic to see him criticize manager options. His transfer activity at Benfica was worthy of a comical relieve :houllier: