Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

Pintu

So sure, keep pretending there’s a debate to be had or that the one who did best in the worst situation (caretaker only, tookover a side in much more turmoil) or the only one who has an recent worthwhile achievement (top 3 in a big league) is the “snake oil salesman” of the three.
It is an unfair metric to Potter when he's never coached a team supposed to get there. We simply do not know if he is capable of that.

RedCurry

I agree with a lot of what you say. But the whole “job being too big for him” and comparing that to Moyes is something I don’t like because it seems to be something reserved for British managers. How many foreign managers have come to the prem over the years to join a top 4 club and failed but no one really says ohh it was to big for him. One that comes to mind is the ex Porto manager who joined Chelsea.

Really I think with Potter it’s similar to that. He was good enough to get a shot. Punched but couldn’t punch hard enough. Like many managers before him.
I don’t know if I agree with that. I still regard British managers irrationally high due to SAF. I am personally looking forward for Rooney to be our manager in 2035 or something.

It is an unfair metric to Potter when he's never coached a team supposed to get there. We simply do not know if he is capable of that.
Leipzip weren’t supposed to get there either in 2018. Finished the season previous in 6th, with just 52 points.

Now don’t get me wrong, Ralf was wank, but this debate started with the poster responding to a “Potter is Chelsea’s Ragnick” remark by attempting to claim he’s nothing like and that Ragnick is nothing more than a snake oil salesman.
So far, the evidence shows us that if we’d have parachuted Potter in Ragnick’s place last season, we’d have likely been even worse off. He’s been a complete catastrophe so far.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

For the moment I think he should be kept. Getting rid of Tuchel and getting the Brighton manager, was the correct idea. As a United fan I made this point clear.

While we’re ridiculing stupid comparisons. Carrick’s first two games were against Arsenal and Chelsea. Rangnick’s were Crystal Palace and Norwich.
I’m not making the comparison though am I?

I’m simply saying Carrick’s 3 game spell was simply way too short to make any kind of comparison.

And RR’s start wasn’t the problem (compared with Potter it’s played 12, won 7, lost 1). The problem was how much shitter it got with every passing week.

I’ve made the argument previously that in hindsight, United would’ve been better off sticking with Carrick for the season as the players had absolutely zero respect for RR & his dog turd staff that the club scraped off the bottom of the barrel.
I’d imagine Chelsea’s current players would have more respect for Carrick too mind.

Last edited:

Pintu

Leipzip weren’t supposed to get there either in 2018. Finished the season previous in 6th, with just 52 points.

Now don’t get me wrong, Ralf was wank, but this debate started with the poster responding to a “Potter is Chelsea’s Rangnick” remark by attempting to claim he’s nothing like and that Rangnick is nothing more than a snake oil salesman.
So far, the evidence shows us that if we’d have parachuted Potter in Rangnick’s place last season, we’d have likely been even worse off. He’s been a complete catastrophe so far.
And the year before that they finished second with Hasenhüttl...If we take net expenditures, they've outspent every other side in Bundesliga (including Bayern) since their promotion... It was indeed a reasonable goal for them to quickly become a regular top 4 side in Germany. Just the way City went from 10th the season before Mancini to 5th, to joint second and then to winning the league and haven't left top 3 ever since...

And the year before that they finished second with Hasenhüttl...If we take net expenditures, they've outspent every other side in Bundesliga (including Bayern) since their promotion... It was indeed a reasonable goal for them to quickly become a regular top 4 side in Germany. Just the way City went from 10th the season before Mancini to 5th, to joint second and then to winning the league and haven't left top 3 ever since...
I’m not going to get into a debate about how good or bad RR in fairness, he did shite here.
My point was that he took Leipzig to the Bundesliga and then after a hugely underwhelming season, he took the reigns again and made them 3rd.
But, as a manager parachuted in mid-season, he was fecking wank, yet unbelievably Potter is even fecking worse, by every metric. He’s at least a permanent gaffer and is already having a say in transfers.
And as I said, he’s yet to play Liverpool, United, City, Arsenal and Spurs away from home.

Is there any debate that thus far, he’s an even worse parachuted in manager than even RR? The answer is clearly no.

georgipep

HE cant do shit. The human beings available to him are the ones that do the job.

Like, OF COURSE the players available to him matters. Why even buy players if its so irrelevant to performance? Just use whatever you recruit from the academy. Fulham and Nottingham Forest are also full of world class players, its been years since clubs in the Premier League were defenseless against the big six teams. It happens every single season that they beat some of these teams.

Fulham is 6th in the Premier League after 19 gamesweeks. Perhaps we should show more respect to Fulham than we are.

Brighton were successful under Pottter because of Brightons club structure, recruitment, and time and patience to build a squad.

Chelsea has bought a ton of players that dont mesh well, coupled with injuries to key players and former giants like Kante aging, its no wonder they are struggling.

Yeah sure, maybe another manager would do better, but I will never not blame the players on the pitch for playing poorly.
I agree with 90% of what you wrote but Kante had nothing to do with their demise, other than being injured.

pss

I felt like sacking Tuchel was a bad idea from the Chelsea board, he's obviously a great manager. But so is Potter, it would be an equally stupid idea to sack him at this time. Atleast if they want success in the long run.
He hasn't even been given a chance to fully implement his ideas yet. He's had like half a season, riddled with injuries. Is it like 8 of the usual starting 11 that are out at the moment?
What we've seen from his previous teams is that it has taken them a fair bit of time to get rolling, but once they do, they tend to play fantastic football. Chelsea could easily do the same if he's given time.

acnumber9

I’m not making the comparison though am I?

I’m simply saying Carrick’s 3 game spell was simply way too short to make any kind of comparison.

And RR’s start wasn’t the problem (compared with Potter it’s played 12, won 7, lost 1). The problem was how much shitter it got with every passing week.

I’ve made the argument previously that in hindsight, United would’ve been better off sticking with Carrick for the season as the players had absolutely zero respect for RR & his dog turd staff that the club scraped off the bottom of the barrel.
I’d imagine Chelsea’s current players would have more respect for Carrick too mind.
You literally compared their first two games. Alas, it has feck all to do with Graham Potter and thinking about Rangnick makes me feel ill.

You literally compared their first two games. Alas, it has feck all to do with Graham Potter and thinking about Rangnick makes me feel ill.
Jumping into the middle of a conversation & thinking you have a smart arse point to make, pretty typical ac.
My whole fecking comeback to the comparison of them was that you can’t fecking compare a guy who managed 3 games.
Ole won his first feck knows how many games, it means absolutely jack shit, nor did it for Carrick, nor Ralf. What matters is what comes after.

GMoore23

Stop being dishonest here.

Ole’s PL record in that last season looked like this:
Played 12, Won 5, Lost 5, Drew 2. PPM: 1.42

Rangnick:
Played 24, Won 10, Lost 7, Drew 7. PPM: 1.54

Pottter:
Played 12, Won 4, Lost 5, Drew 3. PPM: 1.25

Potter still has Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, United & City all to play away from home also. It’s gonna get a whole lot worse.

So sure, keep pretending there’s a debate to be had or that the one who did best in the worst situation (caretaker only, tookover a side in much more turmoil) or the only one who has an recent worthwhile achievement (top 3 in a big league) is the “snake oil salesman” of the three.
Tuchel's last season
Played 6, Won 3, Lost 2, Drew 1 - PPM: 1.66

Still one of the weirdest sackings of all time imo. Boehly was just trying to show everyone who was boss, mimicking Abramovich but it backfired big time. He knows feck all about football.

acnumber9

Jumping into the middle of a conversation & thinking you have a smart arse point to make, pretty typical ac.
My whole fecking comeback to the comparison of them was that you can’t fecking compare a guy who managed 3 games.
Ole won his first feck knows how many games, it means absolutely jack shit, nor did it for Carrick, nor Ralf. What matters is what comes after.
You made a fecking stupid comparison. I responded to point out it was stupid. Welcome to the internet.

AlPistacho

Tuchel's last season
Played 6, Won 3, Lost 2, Drew 1 - PPM: 1.66

Still one of the weirdest sackings of all time imo. Boehly was just trying to show everyone who was boss, mimicking Abramovich but it backfired big time. He knows feck all about football.
Heard it was more about Tuchel being assertive & demanding eg making it clear he didn’t want Ronaldo, and other things. So Boehly used the first chance to get rid.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No problem, throw him to the U21s and buy another 3. All 3 failed? No problem, buy another 3.
Torres we gave 3 and a half years worth of chances too aswell as signing players (and appointing managers) with helping him in mind.

Morata we "wrote off" because we somehow managed to convince Atletico to give us our money back.

Kepa (not a striker but similar principle in terms of big money) we got incredibly lucky we managed to find a world class keeper out of nowhere and for little money, we weren't/aren't going big on another keeper while he is here and now Mendy isn't as good as before Kepa is getting chances again and will likely be the number 1 for the foreseeable (gulp).

Lukaku is the exception but that was down to the change of ownership, Cech as good as confirmed he was getting another chance under the previous regime.

So it's a bit of a myth we just write off big signings, especially in the last decade or so.

acnumber9

No I didn’t, the poster I quoted did. My entire fecking response was to call it out as stupid. You simply came in mid-conversation and tried smart arsing as per.
No, he said there was a drop off in performances. Your retort was to talk about results. You’re simply talking shit as per.

Castia

Heard it was more about Tuchel being assertive & demanding eg making it clear he didn’t want Ronaldo, and other things. So Boehly used the first chance to get rid.
And rightly so as well. The American wanted a big name signing to make the headlines whilst Tuchel knew he wasn't the player they needed.

I get the feeling Tuchel wanted certain players, probably players that Boehly had never even heard of and instead he went after Ronaldo and Sterling etc.

acnumber9

I’m not sure you know what a comparison is.

If you think that comparison means fecking anything for a guy who managed 3 games, more fool you.
If you don’t, stop playing the smart arse.
Jesus Christ. There’s more wit in a brick wall. What part of saying both won their first two games isn’t a comparison? You countered one stupid comparison with your own stupid comparison.

I would suggest asking for a dictionary for your next birthday.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I was and am a big ETH fan and am delighted with our manager. I was also impressed with what Potter did at Brighton and watched a fair few of their games and they genuinely were one of the best footballing sides in the league under him.

Chelsea situation he walked into is like our situation was a season or so ago, instead of midfield being fecked it’s upfront they are struggling with similar defensive vulnerabilities. So, I agree there’s reasons to believe ETH is a superior coach/manager. But to play devils advocate for a minute imagine ETH walked into what Rangnick walked into, with no pre season and pretty much stuck with McFred in midfield. Something like the Brentford loss, a few more injuries, players getting shat on in the press and confidence of young players like mctominay bottoming out. A few more bad injuries and bad luck, I don’t think it’s a stretch to see that potentially similar situation could envelop our very own Pep Guardiola is my idol genius.

in fact I remember after Brentford loss and another one arguing with various cretins hysterical
shouting how ten hag was unproven at the top level, had only won in a farmers league etc etc.

So I think Potter needs time and a couple of transfer windows. That being said he does look very under the cosh and you wonder how much force of personality is a factor. Plus Ajax to Man Utd is less of a jump than Brighton to Chelsea. Still think he will have them clicking if given long enough though.

Edit: whose idea was it to add the b a l d. F r a u d. Text replacement ffs :lol:

OrcaFat

I mean, he's doing well now but lets remember how things were looking at the start when Casemiro and Varane weren't on the pitch. Now imagine you have Eriksen, Rashford, Martinez, Shaw, Martial and DDG sidelined on top of that and you're having to start Maguire, Elanga, Dubravka and McFred every week.

That's pretty much the equivalent of our current injury issues.
Yeah, fair comment. I don’t really think Potter’s up to it though; part of me hopes I’m wrong.

mu4c_20le

I doubt any manager could do much with the amount of injuries we have had this season.
I dont expect many of you to want him out, but if he doesn't lift the dressing room, its going to be popcorn time after every bad result despite the assurances.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Of the players that are fit, the squad is still more expensive and got more quality players than Brentford, Brighton and Fulham, who are all above Chelsea.
I am not making excuses, but when you are changing your starting XI every week because of injuries, it has a negative effect. For me, this season is over, time to put in the young players and see what you have for next season.

Jesus Christ. There’s more wit in a brick wall. What part of saying both won their first two games isn’t a comparison? You countered one stupid comparison with your own stupid comparison.

I would suggest asking for a dictionary for your next birthday.
I was taking the piss out the sample size man, over 2 PL games anyone could look a top or shit manager. For 2 games RR looked just fine, as did fecking David Moyes. I was showing that it was a fecking stupid comparison because no-one has a fecking scooby how Carrick would have fared with a larger sample size.
Brick wall indeed, imagine coming into a thread and trying to be such a smart arse about it and getting it so fecking wrong you need 10 posts to explain it to you.

For the final time, it’s was a stupid comparison. And we’re now so far away from the point it’s untrue….
Potter so far absolutely is Chelsea’s Ragnick appointment. in fact, right now he’s somehow way fecking worse. If you’ve nothing to add to that, just for once, don’t try be a smart arse.

C'est Moi Cantona

Boehly must be looking at how Brighton have just carried on as if nothing happened since Potter left, and thinking maybe I got this one wrong.

Whatever, it's just enjoyable watching another club, with horrible American owners, spending loads of money but seeing things get worse on the pitch, making bad managerial decisions, and it not been us for a change.

ChaddyP

Boehly must be looking at how Brighton have just carried on as if nothing happened since Potter left, and thinking maybe I got this one wrong.

Whatever, it's just enjoyable watching another club, with horrible American owners, spending loads of money but seeing things get worse on the pitch, making bad managerial decisions, and it not been us for a change.
I think this puts Potter in a good light to be honest. Means to me that Potter built something special and sustainable once he got the players and time he needed. Ajax went on a crazy win streak when Ten Hag left, best start to their league ever. Till 5 heads ego took over :lol:

acnumber9

I was taking the piss out the sample size man, over 2 PL games anyone could look a top or shit manager. For 2 games RR looked just fine, as did fecking David Moyes. I was showing that it was a fecking stupid comparison because no-one has a fecking scooby how Carrick would have fared with a larger sample size.
Brick wall indeed, imagine coming into a thread and trying to be such a smart arse about it and getting it so fecking wrong you need 10 posts to explain it to you.

For the final time, it’s was a stupid comparison. And we’re now so far away from the point it’s untrue….
Potter so far absolutely is Chelsea’s Rangnick appointment. in fact, right now he’s somehow way fecking worse. If you’ve nothing to add to that, just for once, don’t try be a smart arse.
Seriously mate, go and bore somebody else. I drew a line under it in one post. You were being a dick and you’ve just continued on. You aren’t the authority on anything.

Seriously mate, go and bore somebody else. I drew a line under it in one post. You were being a dick and you’ve just continued on. You aren’t the authority on anything.
Authority? You, as per usual haven’t added a single thing to the debate.
I was actually responding to a comparison between Potter and Ragnick to make the argument that Potter so far is somehow worse, you know, contributing in a thread about fecking Potter. You, as is standard, just did your usual attempt at point scoring.
Bore off yourself.

Last edited:

AlPistacho

And rightly so as well. The American wanted a big name signing to make the headlines whilst Tuchel knew he wasn't the player they needed.

I get the feeling Tuchel wanted certain players, probably players that Boehly had never even heard of and instead he went after Ronaldo and Sterling etc.
Agreed. I think Sterling might have been one one Tuchel agreed with, although he might have had other preferences who were younger. But like you said Tuchel was all about the names, maybe for the marketing and also a bit to try and prove himself.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are Chelsea going to sign a new player every time they lose? :lol:

galwayfa

i like Potter and feel for him not Chelsea but i think he can be a good coach, Chelsea is wrong job for anyone first taking a big 6 job as they are toxic when it comes to managers, I dont think he will last the next few games if he doesnt win more than he loses, if he does he should be rechristened Harry Potter

roseguy64

No, don’t think so to be honest. Greatest decorated manager of all time in SAF didn’t win as much as the players. So it can be done. You just have to demand respect & be good. There’s players in the United dressing room who have won more than EtH and they respect him
Huh?