Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

BorisManUtd

I voted for him as our next manager 6 months ago on that poll and though it was clear that it would not happen (though he is probably ready for next level, so perhaps Leicester will be interested) I'm still impressed. He's quality.

macheda14

I voted for him as our next manager 6 months ago on that poll and though it was clear that it would not happen (though he is probably ready for next level, so perhaps Leicester will be interested) I'm still impressed. He's quality.
Me too. I’m very glad we got Ten Hag, but if we had missed out on him I’d have rather Potter over Poch. His team plays very very good football at a fraction of the cost.

redom

If he can replicate what he's done at Brighton with a bigger club then he could be a legit top level manager, especially as it would seem like his brand of football would typically be associated with "bigger" teams who are able to compete for the more technically proficient players that would make it thrive. His next move is going to be really interesting.

Caesar2290

If Arsenal had any sense left in them they would sack Arteta and hire this man.

Thank God they don't

Idxomer

Yes, he was my choice over Ten Hag though I knew the board wouldn't dare make an appointment like this.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Me too.

Ace of Spades

My preferred choice was between him and Ten Hag, and I have watched his side a lot more than Ajax, and I was just very impressed with his work.

Mercurial

My preferred choice was between him and Ten Hag, and I have watched his side a lot more than Ajax, and I was just very impressed with his work.
He doesn't have face or that overly confident aura some coaches do but he projects a wholesome robust calmness, he made lot of buzz when in Sweden for his quality coaching.

STYLOISRED

Thankfully Arsenal's board lacks any sense otherwise He would be their manager and have them playing well above their individual level. Hope they stick to Arteta though.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I rate this guy so, so highly. Wanted him over Poch or Rodgers or any other joker because I never thought we would get EtH.

I honestly think we should be putting feelers out there to make sure he can come to us later (hopefully) after EtH has done his thing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His style would translate just as well as Rodgers has higher up the league imo.

Brighton had their usual mid season wobble of going about 20 games without a win but in the end an excellent season for them. Already got a Bissouma replacement in Caciedo so boxing smart there and someone like Tariq Lamptey has hardly played this year and he was being massively rated 12 months ago so think they might cash in on him aswell.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If he can replicate what he's done at Brighton with a bigger club then he could be a legit top level manager, especially as it would seem like his brand of football would typically be associated with "bigger" teams who are able to compete for the more technically proficient players that would make it thrive. His next move is going to be really interesting.
Spurs if Conte blows up mid season.

If not feels like Leicester is ideal profile for him given who they sign.

If Everton weren't such a mess off the pitch he'd be ideal fit for them.

Ludens the Red

Did us a big favour today, very good manager and has a bit about him. Liked him mugging off Brighton fans earlier in the season when they were booing. That take some balls.

Irrational.

A lot of posters turned their noses up at him as he didn’t sound exotic enough and had “only” managed Brighton. I just hope he doesn’t go to a Spurs or Arsenal as it may be just the stepping stone for him and for the club in question.

MUW4Eva

Either him or Frank at Brentford get my nod or seal of approval as Manager of the Season, both have done tremendous jobs, fair play.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m starting to want him as our next manager.

This is partly because of us going from Ten Hag to Potter as possession managers make sense - I’d find it horrible to go for a totally different style of football to another like we did by going from Van Gaal to Mourinho.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
amazed that dortmund haven’t poached him already. would be the perfect manager for them

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Spurs if Conte blows up mid season.

If not feels like Leicester is ideal profile for him given who they sign.

If Everton weren't such a mess off the pitch he'd be ideal fit for them.
Potter turned down Spurs to stay at Brighton when Nuno was eventually appointed, Leicester isn't a step up for him and frankly either is Everton at the moment.

He has talked time and again about enjoying working in a settled and progressive set up, where the manager, Chairman and DoF are all pulling in the same direction. Tottenham would never offer that and to be fair at the moment either do United. I suspect his next job after Brighton could well be England, though I think that would be a bit of a waste.

pascell

A lot of posters turned their noses up at him as he didn’t sound exotic enough and had “only” managed Brighton. I just hope he doesn’t go to a Spurs or Arsenal as it may be just the stepping stone for him and for the club in question.
That's the Caf in a nutshell, I touted him last summer before Ole got the chop and obviously as they'd narrowly avoid relegation he's not good enough for United.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s an excellent manager. Also has an eye for astute signings too. I can see him at Spurs after the Conte inevitable meltdown in a couple of years.

Bebestation

For people who know more about him -

what makes him better than how Brendan Rodgers was looked at during Swansea and Liverpool periods?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If Arsenal had any sense left in them they would sack Arteta and hire this man.

Thank God they don't
I'd certainly take him if we do sack Arteta. I'm just not sure that deserves to be now, but if we don't progress next season I'd have him....if he would have us!

Teja

what makes him better than how Brendan Rodgers was looked at during Swansea and Liverpool periods?
His football passes the eye test. His side "looks" like a modern side that can force a lot of high turn overs, can build play out the back, create goal scoring opportunities (xG merchants etc.) consistently. Some other trivia:
  • I think he has one of the lowest wages paid per point in the premier league.
  • 2nd highest number of high turnovers in the league - behind liverpool, above City. Speaks to the quality of their pressing.
  • 5th at PPDA (passes allowed per defensive action) behind the usual suspects. And they manage to do this without running around like mad men (Leeds)
  • They basically are at 50-50 possession when they play against Pool and City most of the time. Not a simple task for anyone in the world.
To me Rodgers seems like an old school PL manager. There's no trademark Brendan Rodgers football for instance - it's just english football played well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not really being picked up on outside the realms of football forums but finishing 9th with Brighton is an outstanding accomplishment. An excellent manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Potter turned down Spurs to stay at Brighton when Nuno was eventually appointed, Leicester isn't a step up for him and frankly either is Everton at the moment.

He has talked time and again about enjoying working in a settled and progressive set up, where the manager, Chairman and DoF are all pulling in the same direction. Tottenham would never offer that and to be fair at the moment either do United. I suspect his next job after Brighton could well be England, though I think that would be a bit of a waste.
Leicester isn't a step up?

In last three seasons they've finished 5th, 5th, won a FA cup and reached european SF so for all Brighton's good play they're miles off that standard.

Even this season with Leicester off it they roused themselves to finish 8th so imagine Rodgers will probably start next season although he'll be under pressure if they don't start well.

Potter would love to work with a striker of Vardy's quality even if he's in his last few years now and James Maddison was back to his best.

They also have arguably the best ownership model in the league and similar transfer set up to Brighton so think it would be ideal fit for him if the timing was right.

Can see us (Villa) looking at him if Gerrard crashes and burns in next 12 months which is a possibility.

Any word on where Bissouma is going?

c gull

Supports
Brighton

Glowing praise for Potter, however just to let you know he is the luckiest manager around, all those results were against teams who suddenly decided not to turn up, when you see the highlights of a Brighton game, we don't play like that really, it's more Sam Alladyce football it's called creative editing to make us look good. In other words any team wanting him as a manager should look elsewhere, leave him be at Brighton.

c gull

Supports
Brighton

Hopefully I can answer, when we appointed Potter I was surprised as I had not really heard much about him at Swansea, however near the end of Houghtons last season we were hopeless, no attacking intention, it was a case of don't conceed rather than let's get the win against relegation threatened teams around us.

Mr Bloom wanted a team that would not be in a dog fight to avoid relegation year on year but also try to entertain the fans. He wanted us to progress each year eventually looking for a top 10 finish. Potter was identified as that man.

I'm Potters first season we started playing the ball out from the goalkeeper and passing it around, and having confidence in going forward, yes some games this would bite us on the backside but Potter stood his ground. This all taking place in Potters first 4 months as manager, probably easy for any manager who has multi million pound players but remember we weren't shopping at Harrods we were more like middle of Lidl players, this was a remarkable achievement to say the least.
This prompted an extension to his contract, much joked about in the press and on radio at the time but looks like a Great decision now. Our scouting systems looks to be doing a good job, and the players we sent out on loan are doing great. We are not afraid to buy younger players and send them on loan like MacAllister who was at Bocca Ben White at Dirty.
Hopefully Potter stays at least a couple more seasons to see this project through.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Bebestation

Hopefully I can answer, when we appointed Potter I was surprised as I had not really heard much about him at Swansea, however near the end of Houghtons last season we were hopeless, no attacking intention, it was a case of don't conceed rather than let's get the win against relegation threatened teams around us.

Mr Bloom wanted a team that would not be in a dog fight to avoid relegation year on year but also try to entertain the fans. He wanted us to progress each year eventually looking for a top 10 finish. Potter was identified as that man.

I'm Potters first season we started playing the ball out from the goalkeeper and passing it around, and having confidence in going forward, yes some games this would bite us on the backside but Potter stood his ground. This all taking place in Potters first 4 months as manager, probably easy for any manager who has multi million pound players but remember we weren't shopping at Harrods we were more like middle of Lidl players, this was a remarkable achievement to say the least.
This prompted an extension to his contract, much joked about in the press and on radio at the time but looks like a Great decision now. Our scouting systems looks to be doing a good job, and the players we sent out on loan are doing great. We are not afraid to buy younger players and send them on loan like MacAllister who was at Bocca Ben White at Dirty.
Hopefully Potter stays at least a couple more seasons to see this project through.
:lol:

Great response mate.

Do you feel like he is a manager that can turn an average player good and a good player great?

Also - Brighton seem to buy some good players as you said; is that down to Potter? Or is it down to scouts? Do you see it continue if Potter leaves?

c gull

Supports
Brighton
:lol:

Great response mate.

Do you feel like he is a manager that can turn an average player good and a good player great?

Also - Brighton seem to buy some good players as you said; is that down to Potter? Or is it down to scouts? Do you see it continue if Potter leaves?
When Potter came in it was on the understanding he could bring some of his own people in, this included a couple of his trusted scouts, considering we had Dan Ashworth this was agreed. We had Bissouma who at the time was a raw talent, Potter has made him a £50 million player.

In goal Matty Ryan an Australian international and Lee Steele as number 2, in the reserves Robert Sanches, suddenly Sanches becomes our number 1, imo he is in the top 4 goalkeepers in the Premier league who will be sorry to say Spains number 1for the world Cup. He knows when players are ready or when they need to go out on loan. Like he did with Caicedo, yes u wanted him and could of had him for £4 million, if he progresses as he has this season he will be another £50 million player.

We finished imo 10 points short on what our performances deserved. That game against you we played like that against Arsenal at the Amex, fortunately for them we didn't take our chances.

If Potter stays and we keep most of our players I believe top 6 is not out of our reach, however with Dan Ashworth taking the blood money offered at Newcastle I fear they might want another of our players,and are likely to rebrand themselves as Newcastle and Hove Albion.

The problem Potter has is at Brighton he has got the backing of the board and time to achieve great things, however at bigger clubs is he going to get that, remember we went 8 consecutive defeats, given time he will be one off the best managers of a time, as long as he stays in club football and not be tempted to follow Southgate.

We have a good scouting network Hopefully that continues without Cashworth. In Tony Bloom I trust so if Potter goes I will trust him to get the right man in to replace Potter, so far other than Sammi Hyppia he ain't been wrong.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Leicester isn't a step up?

In last three seasons they've finished 5th, 5th, won a FA cup and reached european SF so for all Brighton's good play they're miles off that standard.

Even this season with Leicester off it they roused themselves to finish 8th so imagine Rodgers will probably start next season although he'll be under pressure if they don't start well.

Potter would love to work with a striker of Vardy's quality even if he's in his last few years now and James Maddison was back to his best.

They also have arguably the best ownership model in the league and similar transfer set up to Brighton so think it would be ideal fit for him if the timing was right.

Can see us (Villa) looking at him if Gerrard crashes and burns in next 12 months which is a possibility.

Any word on where Bissouma is going?
Yeah, I don't get the Leicester comment. There isn't much between Leicester and Brighton this season, but I would argue that Brighton performed near the top of their ability and Leicester nowhere near that; in any random season, you'd expect more from Leicester, and they certainly have much more opportunity to grow financially, while being well-structured as well (as you say).

(I totally get the Everton comment though. Someone looking for structure and clarity wouldn't give them a moment's consideration right now.)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Special manager. Lost their two best players and don't look any worse for it. Deserves a top job.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yep, someone said in another thread recently that Chelsea will sack Tuchel and replace him with Potter, as if Potter was crap.

I don't want Tuchel to go anywhere but I'd take Potter for sure.
If Arteta slips up I reckon the Arsenal job would be very very good for him.

Skills

Snitch
He's great. Doesn't seem to need to fill his squad full of ex-players too