Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Forget ETH, just offer this guy the job. If he can build a team out of this Brighton team, he is something special.

RooneyLegend

I agree, I doubt he'd come to us because of how shite we are at every level of the club but I'd try absolutely everything we could, give him an offer to dwell on at least.
Pretty sure it's nothing 10 million quid a year can't fix.

TrustInOle

Love how he has his team playing and very much looks ready to take the next step, however, I don't see our board going for this and guess they would prefer a more recognised name in the game, Poch or ETH for example. If Newcastle survive they would be silly not to sound out and present an encouraging vision to him!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Forget ETH, just offer this guy the job. If he can build a team out of this Brighton team, he is something special.
Players will throw him under the bus. He's a "nobody" to them, same as ETH so why should thry listen to him ?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's turned Brighton into the new Leicester on probably a fraction of the money. Ironically that's where I think he'll end up.
Think he can aim better and he should. Sign a forward and he will take Brighton above Leicester.

I won't be surprised if us or City or Chelsea offer him the job.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He's turned Brighton into the new Leicester on probably a fraction of the money. Ironically that's where I think he'll end up.
Brighton players listen to him and follow his instructions and put in a fecking shift on the pitch. Our lot will moan and groan, leak a few made up stories and then proceed to throw him under the bus whilst the fans jump into the sack manager bangwagon.

Rinse and repeat.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Paul Merson "Manchester United are missing a trick overlooking Graham Potter – and so is the rest of the Premier League,"

"He’s not going to be the next United manager. But say Brighton win the FA Cup this season, surely he’s going to get offered a bigger job?

"It’s like English managers don’t exist for the big clubs so they’re hardly ever given a chance at the big jobs.

"But I think Potter is a great manager. Brighton gave Chelsea the absolute runaround the other week, went to Everton and won. They play nice football too. He’s definitely got it."

"I watch Brighton play football and think why couldn’t he be United manager? Is it because it’s only Brighton and he’s not a name, not a foreign manager?

"I don’t see why he couldn’t manage United. They play great football, Brighton. Imagine if he had players like United do at his disposal!
"But you know it won’t happen. He’s not fashionable. But if I was a United fan I’d be watching Brighton thinking I wouldn’t mind that kind of football at Old Trafford."

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I would love him but our sensitive/workshy players won't listen to the ex-Brighton man and quickly throw him under the bus.

passing-wind

He's showing himself to be a superior manager. Was just thinking earlier on with ETH recent comments about philosophy he sounds like someone City would sound out. I think between Poch, Potter and ETH those are viable choices with the latter two more preferred.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Brighton players listen to him and follow his instructions and put in a fecking shift on the pitch. Our lot will moan and groan, leak a few made up stories and then proceed to throw him under the bus whilst the fans jump into the sack manager bangwagon.

Rinse and repeat.
I think the United fanbase has truly had enough of these players. Bring in a good manager and we'll back him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hire him and sack any fecker that doesn't listen to him.

It's him or ETH for me anyway....so we'll probably get Poch...

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Rinse and repeat.
Need a big name manager like Zidane.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Class manager.

Everton should be throwing everything they have at him.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem in vogue for whatever reason? best english manager we have.

Idxomer

Really don't see a big advantage for Ten Hag over him.

There's barely any difference in the quality of football both Brighton and Ajax play.

Coops73

Brighton were excellent, I’ve never really watched them properly till tonight, with a decent striker or 2…

Lamptey, excellent, I was gutted when he came off, Mac Allister excellent, Cucurella excellent.

I think Potter wouldn’t be a bad shout for us managerial wise.
I was actually envious with the way Brighton played.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Assuming Enrique is a no-go, Potter would be my second choice after ten Hag. Clearly an excellent manager. Ten Hag though has had a great showing in Europe, more than once. Has had to rebuild his teams. Neither has been exposed to overpaid mercenaries who are used to boss their manager around, so there's that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree, I doubt he'd come to us because of how shite we are at every level of the club but I'd try absolutely everything we could, give him an offer to dwell on at least.
I wouldn't say Everton are a downgrade given the difference in resources between Brighton and Everton, but yeah, Potter might be reluctant to step into the mess that Everton seems to be right now.

Leicester seems like a good shout to me. Clearly a step up in terms of resources and amibitions, and also a club with a clear vision and good organization. If Rodgers were to leave after this season, Potter would be a pretty natural successor. Or any of the 'big' clubs really, but probably only United will have a vacancy. (Well, who knows what will happen at Chelsea.)

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Really don't see a big advantage for Ten Hag over him.

There's barely any difference in the quality of football both Brighton and Ajax play.
I don't see United going for another british manager after what happened with Moyes.
You can say Van Gaal was dutch as ETH, but he had some reputation as top manager before moving to United.

I can't see Liverpool,United,City, or Chelsea going for british managers, they'd rather get some continental manager with reputation like Luis Enrique,ETH,Zidane,etc even if they are unproven in PL.
Maybe he should change his name to Graham Potterini or Graham Gonzales del Sol.

I reckon this guy could get the England NT once Southgate leaves.

Last edited:

passing-wind

Assuming Enrique is a no-go, Potter would be my second choice after ten Hag. Clearly an excellent manager. Ten Hag though has had a great showing in Europe, more than once. Has had to rebuild his teams. Neither has been exposed to overpaid mercenaries who are used to boss their manager around, so there's that.
I think United need a manager who has the character to ride out adversity and who's great at resetting the squad in a slump. Something Sir Alex was underrated at brushing off a bad result and making amends in the next set of fixtures. The club has struggled with consistency under every manager post SAF.

Potter is very promising in this regard Brighton have only lost 4 games all season. They play the best football outside of the top 3. No matter what the fans think the squad is incredibly average.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Done a terrific job at Brighton. Would love to have him when Rodgers bows out.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Honestly I didn’t even watch tonight but the performance Brighton gave at Stamford Bridge over Christmas was incredible. If United turned up there playing like that and got a 1-1 draw with a late equaliser we’d all be thrilled.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I reckon, in all seriousness, he's in line to take over at City once Pep decides to leave. Pep is a huge fan.

PoTMS

Get him in yesterday. He can't do any worse than the rest of the pack of jokers we've hired in the last 10 years.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
British executive from any top half PL team: “Mr Potter, Graham Potter?”
Hipster Graham enjoying the ride and the silly fame: “You can call me Harry, sir.”
Executive, immediately going bollocks: “Ok, ‘Arry!”

(Silly pun, silly double pun… I know, I know)

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Get him in yesterday. He can't do any worse than the rest of the pack of jokers we've hired in the last 10 years.
Kinda wish we'd got him in in December.

Could have spent the rest of the season weeding out the cnuts that don't want to listen /play for him and could start fresh next season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's very impressive the way he has the team playing both in offensive and defensive transitions. I don't believe I've seen a better coached team outside of Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel when it comes to implementing modern concepts, and he's doing it with a team of decent to good players.

I'd be happy with either ten Hag or Potter. Both coaches look to exert zonal and positional control with a view to controlling possession and implementing a vertical game.

Several years ago I said that we should look to appoint Dan Ashworth as our DoF, and it's good to see that he's made the correct calls at Brighton after being given autonomy to do so by the Brighton owner. The club has a clear and defined way of playing the game.

Last edited:

PoTMS

Kinda wish we'd got him in in December.

Could have spent the rest of the season weeding out the cnuts that don't want to listen /play for him and could start fresh next season.
Yep, especially as we are back to our perpetual semi-permanent state of being in transition again.

Silas

Been screaming his name for ages. Not sure what the issue is about players not respecting him. If they don't, they aren't the personalities we want in the squad anyway.

Remember the geese

This, he has no right to be doing what he's doing. Same for Ten Hag on fairness. Only reason I prefer Ten Hag is how he's so focused on winning. Lord knows we need to change the mentality of the organisation.
Yeah I would give ten Hag the edge for the same reason. His performances in the Champions League are impressive too. However, if he is unattainable for whatever reason, I'd be happy enough with Potter.

marktan

Easily one of the most impressive coaches in Europe and has been for a while. He ticks many of the boxes top coaches need.

Great man manager, top footballing tactics, extremely smart, signs great players, well liked by players, humble etc.

The problem is though I don't reckon there's many jobs he'd actually go for. He turned down Spurs in the summer. He said he'd turn down the Everton job too - he acknowledged that his success is just as entirely reliant on the board, players, staff and chairman at Brighton. He's a smart guy so I doubt he'd be dying to leave a good setup and a very well built squad for inferior projects. I'm not even sure he'd be dying to come to United given the state of our squad.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Been screaming his name for ages. Not sure what the issue is about players not respecting him. If they don't, they aren't the personalities we want in the squad anyway.
The general thing about that is that it's always easier to replace the manager then say, over half your squad - so the players have all the power.

However I think we're at the point now where the fans would happily back the manager over the squad and wouldn't mind getting rid of most of them.

DickDastardly

The general thing about that is that it's always easier to replace the manager then say, over half your squad - so the players have all the power.

However I think we're at the point now where the fans would happily back the manager over the squad and wouldn't mind getting rid of most of them.
Yeah, like anyone listens to what fans want.

First we need to get a footballing management.

The rest will follow.
And any footballing management out there has Graham in their top 3 perspective coaches. Or they should have at least.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Yeah, like anyone listens to what fans want.

First we need to get a footballing management.

The rest will follow.
And any footballing management out there has Graham in their top 3 perspective coaches. Or they should have at least.
So that'll mean our lot will never even have heard of him!