Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maupay is doing ok, he's on 7 which is better than Cavani, Martial and Greenwood. For £20m + wages of £2m a year (Cavani's fee + wage will be £30m for one year) he seems a decent signing. Trossard looks to have average stats (4g, 2a) so if he keeps up that rate he'll have been ok. In reality, anyone getting 10+ for them will have been worth it because they are essentially aiming to stay up.

My point is if you look at their underlying stats, they are really impressive and so there's a definitely a potential question about recruitment, could they have signed someone better, can they pay enough to be competitive or has potter hired poorly. I don't think there can be much debate to whether he's doing well on the pitch (currently) though as that seems very obviously 'yes'.
How is recruitment handled at Brighton actually? Is it really on Potter, or do they have a DoF or some other structure that takes care of it? (I suppose Potter would also have a say in the latter scenario, but the success or failure of transfers wouldn't be quite as much something to praise or blame him for.)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maupay is doing ok, he's on 7 which is better than Cavani, Martial and Greenwood. For £20m + wages of £2m a year (Cavani's fee + wage will be £30m for one year) he seems a decent signing. Trossard looks to have average stats (4g, 2a) so if he keeps up that rate he'll have been ok. In reality, anyone getting 10+ for them will have been worth it because they are essentially aiming to stay up.

My point is if you look at their underlying stats, they are really impressive and so there's a definitely a potential question about recruitment, could they have signed someone better, can they pay enough to be competitive or has potter hired poorly. I don't think there can be much debate to whether he's doing well on the pitch (currently) though as that seems very obviously 'yes'.
He's a cheat and I hope Brighton get relegated

Needham

Spurs should have gone Howe instead of Jose. They obviously should give this guy a punt but won't. I fear like Mancini at Man City and Arsene at Arsenal and Tuchel to Chelsea one's name is one's destiny in football management. Potter will end up in the potteries managing Stoke. Put money on it.

Spaghetti

Mom's

A minute ago you were calling them unlucky because their quality of strikers was too low and not finishing the 1000s of golden opportunities they have. Now they are suddenly doing well. I’m a little confused.

I would say they are doing “ok” on the pitch. It’s not like they are pushing for a top 4 place, they’re still only 1 or 2 places above relegation. Got their tactics right against the higher teams.

romufc

That's true, but I'm not sure how that's relevant here, seeing as Potter does not set his team up defensively to attack on the counter...?
They did set up defensively against Liverpool on the counter, they do that against most big teams and play out the back really well and in the transition.

If you think they play this glorious football, yet they have 1 win in 12 months at home? That will tell you exactly what his short comings are, which is breaking down low blocks.

tomaldinho1

A minute ago you were calling them unlucky because their quality of strikers was too low and not finishing the 1000s of golden opportunities they have. Now they are suddenly doing well. I’m a little confused.

I would say they are doing “ok” on the pitch. It’s not like they are pushing for a top 4 place, they’re still only 1 or 2 places above relegation. Got their tactics right against the higher teams.
I'd appreciate if you didn't use such poetic licence when referring to what I said...I've said their underlying stats are really impressive (I don't think you disagree) but they are hardly filled with quality (again, I think you agree). We then started discussing their recruitment and my point is he's had to bargain hunt and ended up with some pretty average players but, if we're critiquing him, his two £20m signings have actually been their main goal scorers so it's not been a disaster. They are crying out for a player like Watkins or Wilson but I'm not sure if they can afford them.

We'll see come end of season if the gamble of playing more expansive football works but I do think they have been very unlucky (game versus us for example) and they never really get hammered, generally lose by a goal if they do lose which is good sign.

How is recruitment handled at Brighton actually? Is it really on Potter, or do they have a DoF or some other structure that takes care of it? (I suppose Potter would also have a say in the latter scenario, but the success or failure of transfers wouldn't be quite as much something to praise or blame him for.)
Actually don't know in fairness, I think they have a technical director who has recruitment responsibilities but assume Potter will at least have some say.

Nickosaur

Technical Director Dan Ashworth is a relatively new addition. No DoF as far as I'm aware, I think decisions are made closely between Bloom, Ashworth, Potter and scouting/recruitment team. There have been some very interesting buys in recent years, in particular gambling on promising foreign players who don't yet have work permits. Mac Allister and Tau examples of players who have only recently been eligable to play for Brighton. Billy Arce is another one but unsure if he will amount to much. And of course just this week Caicedo - who already seems to be a regular for Ecuador so can start playing immediately.

There has absolutely been money to spend too, Brighton are by no means on a tight budget. Trossard, Maupay, Webster were signed for +£20m each last summer. Plus efforts were definitely made for an additional striker this summer - went with Danny Welbeck in the end but Darwin Nunez (now at Benfica) was a target.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I'd appreciate if you didn't use such poetic licence when referring to what I said...I've said their underlying stats are really impressive (I don't think you disagree) but they are hardly filled with quality (again, I think you agree). We then started discussing their recruitment and my point is he's had to bargain hunt and ended up with some pretty average players but, if we're critiquing him, his two £20m signings have actually been their main goal scorers so it's not been a disaster. They are crying out for a player like Watkins or Wilson but I'm not sure if they can afford them.

We'll see come end of season if the gamble of playing more expansive football works but I do think they have been very unlucky (game versus us for example) and they never really get hammered, generally lose by a goal if they do lose which is good sign.
Sorry, I thought it was a fans forum, not a business meeting.

You said their strikers aren’t good enough. I pointed out that Potter signed them for a fair whack, and then you decided that the strikers are good. I’m sure you can understand the confusion.

Watkins and Maupay were both signed from Brentford, both for around 20m and are both on around 50-60k a week.

Brighton have never been relegated from the Premier League (yes I know football didn’t start in 1992) and I doubt they’ve ever been lower than they are now. I don’t get the sudden love for them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They did set up defensively against Liverpool on the counter, they do that against most big teams and play out the back really well and in the transition.
They didn't, liverpool pinned them back. Only after the goal they sat back by choice. And the only times they were forced to sit back all season long were against liverpool and city

If you think they play this glorious football, yet they have 1 win in 12 months at home? That will tell you exactly what his short comings are, which is breaking down low blocks.
Not really. I mean, sure, but breaking down a low block is one thing nearly everyone struggles with these days. Which is why brighton's build up from the back is meant to invite pressure. They have the 8th best attack in the league by xG. And are by far the worst underperformers. Their strikers can't finish their dinner, that's the problem(and also earlier in the season they had calamity ryan in goal and couldn't stop conceding penalties)

romufc

Not really. I mean, sure, but breaking down a low block is one thing nearly everyone struggles with these days. Which is why brighton's build up from the back is meant to invite pressure. They have the 8th best attack in the league by xG. And are by far the worst underperformers. Their strikers can't finish their dinner, that's the problem(and also earlier in the season they had calamity ryan in goal and couldn't stop conceding penalties)
They have struggled at home for a year, 1 win in 12 months.

tomaldinho1

Sorry, I thought it was a fans forum, not a business meeting.

You said their strikers aren’t good enough. I pointed out that Potter signed them for a fair whack, and then you decided that the strikers are good. I’m sure you can understand the confusion.

Watkins and Maupay were both signed from Brentford, both for around 20m and are both on around 50-60k a week.

Brighton have never been relegated from the Premier League (yes I know football didn’t start in 1992) and I doubt they’ve ever been lower than they are now. I don’t get the sudden love for them.
:lol: Why would me asking you not to exaggerate so much immediately make things be like a business meeting?

The striker point is exactly where the question lies although Watkins cost £28m + £5m add ons and is on way more than that wages wise: looks like his Villa salary would have been above everyone at Brighton bar Lallana so he's not really affordable for them. The one I think they could have done with (who is in the £20m range) is Wilson and that is where I think we can ask questions re potter & recruitment.

I don't think anyone here loves Brighton, this is a thread about Potter. If he left and one of the usual old guard come in, I doubt the football would be as interesting. Not sure I understand the last point - Brighton only came up a few years ago.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually don't know in fairness, I think they have a technical director who has recruitment responsibilities but assume Potter will at least have some say.
Technical Director Dan Ashworth is a relatively new addition. No DoF as far as I'm aware, I think decisions are made closely between Bloom, Ashworth, Potter and scouting/recruitment team. There have been some very interesting buys in recent years, in particular gambling on promising foreign players who don't yet have work permits. Mac Allister and Tau examples of players who have only recently been eligable to play for Brighton. Billy Arce is another one but unsure if he will amount to much. And of course just this week Caicedo - who already seems to be a regular for Ecuador so can start playing immediately.

There has absolutely been money to spend too, Brighton are by no means on a tight budget. Trossard, Maupay, Webster were signed for +£20m each last summer. Plus efforts were definitely made for an additional striker this summer - went with Danny Welbeck in the end but Darwin Nunez (now at Benfica) was a target.
Cheers guys!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Did anybody see his coat at the weekend? Looked really nice.
Got a picture? I'm wondering now if this is Nagelsmann style and you're being sarcastic, or if he's really winning in the reasonable style category.

passing-wind

Win this evening takes them top of the league. Done a phenomenal job with the resources at his disposal. Have heard a few pundits mention that even in on a loss Brighton seldom are outplayed by the opposition. Perhaps Potter is the next manager to transition from a relegation team to a top 6 club.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Win this evening takes them top of the league. Done a phenomenal job with the resources at his disposal. Have heard a few pundits mention that even in on a loss Brighton seldom are outplayed by the opposition. Perhaps Potter is the next manager to transition from a relegation team to a top 6 club.
They played yesterday and drew. They're sixth

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They drew with palace last night didn’t they?

K Stand Knut

Well this cheered me up

Jaxa

It's Tuesday pal, did you forget to set the alarm again ? or have you been snoozing it

passing-wind

They played yesterday and drew. They're sixth
:lol: 24 hours too late, nonetheless he's still doing a good job. This really isn't about correlation with Ole more the recognition of his time in the premier league.

Teja

Pretty underwhelming performance yesterday from the highlights.

Generally speaking, they're very good defensively (3rd in xGA last season just behind City and Chelsea, same this season so far). They press well, keep the ball and pass it around nicely.

Fairly shit in terms of actual chance creation but that's more on individual quality than Potter himself I'd say. Last season they were bottom half in terms of xG and this season they're borderline relegation. I think it'll catch up to them at some point and they'll drift down.

He'd be a great candidate to replace Arteta since they sort of want to play similar football.

Idxomer

He could come under consideration whatever that means, according to The Athletic.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's a very talented manager. Manchester United or not, in a few years he'll be killing it at a big club.

BorisManUtd

Didn't watch Brighton this season at all but last season whenever I did they were brilliant. They play proper football. Don't think we'll hire Potter but he'll end up at bigger club soon, perhaps when this season ends.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has Brigton well drilled into an organised, progressive side. Would be a big step up though. I can see why he'd he'd be on the shortlist but doubt he's many's first choice.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Didn't watch Brighton this season at all but last season whenever I did they were brilliant. They play proper football. Don't think we'll hire Potter but he'll end up at bigger club soon, perhaps when this season ends.
Still really impressive this season, even without Bissouma. Above us in the table currently, too. Got beat 4-1 by City, which is no disgrace, but on the radio they were still saying how impressed they were with the effort from Brighton and that they put up a good showing despite the scoreline.

Nick7

I enjoy watching Brighton play. Unsure if this role would be a little too early for him though.

BorisManUtd

Still really impressive this season, even without Bissouma. Above us in the table currently, too. Got beat 4-1 by City, which is no disgrace, but on the radio they were still saying how impressed they were with the effort from Brighton and that they put up a good showing despite the scoreline.
I'm not surprised. Read somewhere that they should've ended like 8th last season based on expected points statistic, and it's not misleading as they really should have gained lot of more points. This season they have 4 points more than expected on the other hand. What's so poor about us is the fact that we've got only 14 points and on xP we should even have one point less :lol:

R'hllor

Outside his team playing vs us, watched only two games, both of them were vs Arsenal in EL with that Scandinavian team, first game at home specially, the amount of times they gave away a ball by trying to play and pass it out from the back, holy shit. Example how his idea of playing football didnt meet the quality of players in those situations. Think their 2nd leg at Emirates was so much better performance wise.