Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

Devil’s Trident

So he should jump ship and not improve the team? ‘‘Peaked’’ at the lofty heights of 9th and falling…

Burnley sold Chris Wood late in January and bought Weghorst. Why did Potter not buy a £12m striker to score goals? Surely that’s the job of a manager?
Horrid post. Sorry but no objectivity and rational thought process behind this one from start to finish.

Jumps ship - So any manager who makes the team punch above their weight and takes them almost beyond their ceiling and then leave is jumping ship now ? Then every manager who leaves jumps ship. By that logic Poch should have never left Southampton, Klopp should have never left Mainz, Fergie should have never jumped ship and joined united.

Improve the team - like what would be called as improvement in your eyes if sitting in top half of the table with Brighton isn’t already an improvement of massive proportions ? Europa league ? Champions league ? Or challenging for the title? And if he doesn’t get any of them then he is a failure, right ? Because he didn’t improve further, No ?

Lofty heights of 9th -Yeah it’s such an underwhelming season and position for the mighty seagulls. 9th pffft, banter fc. Gone are the glory days of challenging for the titles regularly.

Also, Potter doesn’t get to decide if he is allowed to sign a striker whenever he wants. It’s the decision of the board, you know that also right ? Or maybe not given the quality points you made in your post.

Reactions: Jippy

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
One team on the rise and one team on the drop, let’s see after 38 games.
If Brighton stay up then it's a successful season.
If they get mid table or top half he's done incredibly well, and that's still more than achievable.

Ludens the Red

Remember relegation favourites Newcastle?
Win their game in hand and they are 5 points behind Brighton.
I mean Newcastle did just get taken over by an entire country and then spent almost 100 million in one window. Surprisingly that’s had an effect. And I’d imagine going forward Newcastle will never ever again be anywhere near relegation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Adam Webster being out has hurt them badly.

That and the perennial problem of their strikers being absolute dreck.

GMoore23

And people think he's ready to restore United back to their glory days.
Some people are crazy. He's just another average English manager, the hype around him will be non existent in another season or two.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Dan Burn is one of those players that looks absolute shit and great at the same time but since he’s joined Newcastle the contrast in results between the two clubs is….something.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They lost but played well today, he’s a good manager and probably deserves a chance at a club higher in the table. He certainly isn’t average.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
They lost but played well today, he’s a good manager and probably deserves a chance at a club higher in the table. He certainly isn’t average.
They actually have a good record against Liverpool under Potter. All the matches have been really close where Brighton have put Liverpool under sustained pressure.
Under Hutton, Brighton was regularly getting pumped by 4 goals against Liverpool.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I said it last season, and I have watched them play in a number of games, but there has to be a point where you are judged on your results.

He finished 16th last season with on 9 wins all season.

He is down to 13th now this season with 5 losses on the trot.

He has them playing nice football at times but results do matter and his have been pretty average.

16 wins in 66 PL games is a 24% win percentage. It’s average, even for a club like Brighton

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Some people are crazy. He's just another average English manager, the hype around him will be non existent in another season or two.
Exactly, someone was calling me stupid for wanting ten Haag over him :lol: We may aswell say give Eddie Howe a chance because he’s doing well at Newcastle. People don’t understand just because a manager is doing well at a mid table club it doesn’t mean they deserve to manage us, we’ve proved that with moyes. To big a step for some of them.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Potter for United crowd have gone quiet of late. The Donny should be starting for us have too.

Our club might be a shambles but I don't think Potter would be considered for a single second. Job is way too big for him.

matt23

He lost at Anfield with the 15th biggest budget in the league? Outrageous.

Edit : Nah they lost at home. Fair enough

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
And people think he's ready to restore United back to their glory days.
Pure madness
It's not always black and white. I bet there were Germans on a message board somewhere saying the same about Klopp when he relegated Mainz and then failed to gain promotion again. You simply have to take into account the quality of what they have to work with and this Brighton team, on paper, shouldn't be in the PL bar one or two players.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Potter for United crowd have gone quiet of late. The Donny should be starting for us have too.

Our club might be a shambles but I don't think Potter would be considered for a single second. Job is way too big for him.
Were they ever that strong?

I'd like to see Potter given a chance at a club with bit more money and status like a Leicester.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It's not always black and white. I bet there were Germans on a message board somewhere saying the same about Klopp when he relegated Mainz and then failed to gain promotion again. You simply have to take into account the quality of what they have to work with and this Brighton team, on paper, shouldn't be in the PL bar one or two players.
I agree that context is important but for some to suggest him as a United manager at this point is hilarious. He needs to prove himself at a bigger team first before he takes on a high pressured job as big as United's.

Trequarista10

Exactly, someone was calling me stupid for wanting ten Haag over him :lol: We may aswell say give Eddie Howe a chance because he’s doing well at Newcastle. People don’t understand just because a manager is doing well at a mid table club it doesn’t mean they deserve to manage us, we’ve proved that with moyes. To big a step for some of them.
Given our fall from grace, we can't sign the most elite, proven, players nor hire the most elite, proven manager. Our obsession with maintaining an image of being elite has led to us signing players and hiring managers who were once elite but are no longer (LvG, Jose, Ronaldo, Cavani, Zlatan Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Sanchez, being really critical even Varane, Matic and Mata to some extent due to injury, ageing or unwanted by another top club). The logical approach to a genuine rebuild is to pick players and managers who can become elite, before they move to another elite or even middling side, because we can no longer sign proven top talents unless they are in some nanner tainted. Both Potter and ten Haag fit the bill, despite having different experiences and achievements to date. Frankly I'd be happy with either. In a couple years either or both of them may be unattainable if they have other offers, or both or either of them could be considered failures.

We don't have the luxury of waiting. Some people are under the delusion that we should let them move to a "Spurs or Everton" level side to prove themselves first. Problem is we are a Spurs level side now and need to take shots on unproven options with potential. Some will step up others won't. For every Sneijder there will be a Van de Beek, for every Haaland there will be a Joelinton, for every Andy Robertson an Alan Hutton etc.. Ten Haag could be the next Klopp or the next Moyes. Potter could be the next Ferguson or the next Avram Grant. Nobody knows. And assuming to know based on nationality or previous club size is silly. Some players or managers adapt seamlessly jumping from a very low level to the top level. Others struggle moving from a very good level to the top level.

The only way the club will make more right decisions than wrong (and wrong decisions are inevitable as we have to take riskier decisions) is if we have a structure and decision making process in place at director level that is capable. I don't know who will prove better out of ten Haag or Potter, same as everyone else here. What we need is directors and decision makers who can capably oversee a selection process and make that call. What would Potter's plans be for United, what would ten Haag's plans be? How well do they conduct themselves in a board room at Old Trafford? How well will they work with the system and squad in place, or how well can they negotiate for changes to be made? Those will be things that matter, more than their CV to do date or their passport.

He’s still my 2nd favourite for the Utd job behind Ten Hag. Brighton create plenty against every team in the league and don’t park the bus.

Classical Mechanic

Klopp was relegated before he joined Dortmund and was sacked when Dortmund sank down the league. It's naive to simply look at results, you have to look at the coaching and the way teams play under a coach. There's indications that Potter could be a top manager with the right players.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Klopp was relegated before he joined Dortmund and was sacked when Dortmund sank down the league. It's naive to simply look at results, you have to look at the coaching and the way teams play under a coach. There's indications that Potter could be a top manager with the right players.
Actually, Klopp quit himself after somewhat saving the season in the second half. (Ended 7th in an EL spot after a disastrous first half.) But agree otherwise.

Lecland07

5 losses, including Manutd, Tottenham and Liverpool. Doesn't look so bad when you put more context to it. Do you expect Brighton to beat those three teams when you consider the squads side by side? Not a chance.

Even then, they dominated Manutd in the first half - about four minutes of madness in the second half from the players stuffed them. . They also played well against Liverpool and had some good opportunities, predictably spurned.

Really, they should be sitting on about 50 points already if it wasn't for their shockingly bad forwards. In the end, this was always going to cost them and apply too much pressure.

I think their team has also become overrated - in reality, they have been overperforming under Potter and are no better than relegation sides.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
5 losses, including Manutd, Tottenham and Liverpool. Doesn't look so bad when you put more context to it. Do you expect Brighton to beat those three teams when you consider the squads side by side? Not a chance.

Even then, they dominated Manutd in the first half - about four minutes of madness in the second half from the players stuffed them. . They also played well against Liverpool and had some good opportunities, predictably spurned.

Really, they should be sitting on about 50 points already if it wasn't for their shockingly bad forwards. In the end, this was always going to cost them and apply too much pressure.

I think their team has also become overrated - in reality, they have been overperforming under Potter and are no better than relegation sides.
agreed, if they bought a set of competent attackers their output would be much better, they also have weak defense too..

lsd

The Oracle
agreed, if they bought a set of competent attackers their output would be much better, they also have weak defense too..

He has been the manager three years now and has spent money.

Surely he has to take some of the blame for not having better striking options by this stage

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He has been the manager three years now and has spent money.

Surely he has to take some of the blame for not having better striking options by this stage
yeah but compare the investments in the squad of other teams as well, also if he wins the next game he can be in top half, not sure why are so many people so overreactive after few expected and some unlucky losses. It shouldn't be only the amount of points in a team of his size to be judged upon either.

lsd

The Oracle
yeah but compare the investments in the squad of other teams as well, also if he wins the next game he can be in top half, not sure why are so many people so overreactive after few expected and some unlucky losses. It shouldn't be only the amount of points in a team of his size to be judged upon either.

Oh i think he is doing a good job and is potentially a top manager no doubt about it but at the same time he has to take some blame for Brighton being so poor upfront.