Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

NoPace

Very few wanted to listen to arguments for him when we were looking for a new manager. What he's done in his career is quality, and he's turned Brighton into a cracking team.
I did think this was odd, he might well have been the fans' choice if this were for example an American college sport, where the biggest teams often hire a young, tactically astute coach who takes an unfashionable team into the equivalent of a mid-table one. That would be seen as just as likely as bringing in a top coach from a 2nd tier conference (league in this case) who did well against big clubs every 2nd to 3rd year like Ten Hag did in the CL with Ajax.

Not sure he was a better choice than Ten Hag, but I thought it was weird that Pochettino was seen as a better one. That one had potential to be another waste of time, whereas appointing Ten Hag or Potter at least ensure we'll want to play possession football and hopefully get the players like McTominay and Wan-Bissaka out of the team and keep new versions from coming in, though I was disheartened to see Mctominay not sold to some mid-table side to bring in 15-20M or so to spend on a new player who can pass and move or someone to solidify the DM or RB positions where players like Palhinha and the Argentine that Atletico just bought went for that amount.

How does the manager of the Ajax team that played Lasse Schone at DM and Timber at CB not come in and immediately demand McTominay be sold to raise money? It's the first thing that really has me concerned that this appointment won't see us replicate the level of football Ajax played under him, which is really the level he has to get to for this not to another failed managerial reign.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Done an excellent job at Brighton. They play fantastic football. He'll get a job at a big club if he keeps it up.

city-puma

Done an excellent job at Brighton. They play fantastic football. He'll get a job at a big club if he keeps it up.
The way we overlooked him is understandable. Because Brighton has limited budget, he spent quite some time to get them starting to get the results. it’s hard to know how he can do it as quick as possible in a much bigger club. It’s always a question mark how far he can take Brighton to. We will know by the end of the season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way we overlooked him is understandable. Because Brighton has limited budget, he spent quite some time to get them starting to get the results. it’s hard to know how he can do it as quick as possible in a much bigger club. It’s always a question mark how far he can take Brighton to. We will know by the end of the season.
I think he could have been considered but I'm fine with us going for managers who have actually won important trophies in addition to implementing tacticslly strong football. Eventually if he's good enough we'll probably have a chance should we need a new manager (hopefully not).

Woziak

I did think this was odd, he might well have been the fans' choice if this were for example an American college sport, where the biggest teams often hire a young, tactically astute coach who takes an unfashionable team into the equivalent of a mid-table one. That would be seen as just as likely as bringing in a top coach from a 2nd tier conference (league in this case) who did well against big clubs every 2nd to 3rd year like Ten Hag did in the CL with Ajax.

Not sure he was a better choice than Ten Hag, but I thought it was weird that Pochettino was seen as a better one. That one had potential to be another waste of time, whereas appointing Ten Hag or Potter at least ensure we'll want to play possession football and hopefully get the players like McTominay and Wan-Bissaka out of the team and keep new versions from coming in, though I was disheartened to see Mctominay not sold to some mid-table side to bring in 15-20M or so to spend on a new player who can pass and move or someone to solidify the DM or RB positions where players like Palhinha and the Argentine that Atletico just bought went for that amount.

How does the manager of the Ajax team that played Lasse Schone at DM and Timber at CB not come in and immediately demand McTominay be sold to raise money? It's the first thing that really has me concerned that this appointment won't see us replicate the level of football Ajax played under him, which is really the level he has to get to for this not to another failed managerial reign.
I think he’s still trying to work out how D De Gea is on 375k per week and is nowhere near what he needs for a keeper, his ability with his his feet just won’t cut it, that’s one of many problems he has with this team, Maguire’s lack of Pace, Dalot not being very good defensively, MCFred ability to receive the ball in tight spaces, no 3rd man runs from our inverted wingers and a number 10 who was once considered top 3 in PL who has now fighting for his place in the team, oh yeah and the only guy who scored any goals last year wants to leave!

He needs to find a formula and quick, I suggest he drops Mctominay, plays Garner or Martinez as the CDM and put Varane back in the team. ETH needs to stop this team conceding goals, he could play 343 until we get more signings in, I’d rather see Lindelof play CDM then McFred, he needs to drop Bruno as well and play Eriksen in that role.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Please can someone just appoint him. Anyone at this point.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he will be the first English manager to win the PL.

Lecland07

Aside from Klopp and Guardiola, I am struggling to think of a manager who is better than him in the Premier League, at the moment. He has done a brilliant job with Brighton.

Skills

Snitch
Aside from Klopp and Guardiola, I am struggling to think of a manager who is better than him in the Premier League, at the moment. He has done a brilliant job with Brighton.
Conte & Tuchel are quite obviously better atm. But he's on an upward trajectory.

I'd say he's in a dangerous position atm, because he needs to move soon. If he doesn't, he'll lose momentum and then stagnate. It happened to Eddie Howe as well, who's also very talented. This summer, he has to move and it's got to be the right move for him.

Arsenal might be that right move.

Idxomer

There are others who have better accolades than him but none of them plays better football than his teams.

PoTMS

Really wish we got our hands on him when we sacked Ole. Hopefully Ten Hag is the bee's knees but if not, we need to be looking at him, if he's not already moved to a bigger club by then. I reckon Chelsea will be in for him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Conte & Tuchel are quite obviously better atm. But he's on an upward trajectory.

I'd say he's in a dangerous position atm, because he needs to move soon. If he doesn't, he'll lose momentum and then stagnate. It happened to Eddie Howe as well, who's also very talented. This summer, he has to move and it's got to be the right move for him.

I don’t think Howe stagnated. He just didn’t ever learn from his mistakes and it caught up with him. He has seemingly used his time away from the game to work on those mistakes though. I’m struggling to find what Potters weakness is.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Not sure about that… arsenal look good this season and have stood by arteta and it’s paying off… if he goes anywhere I’d of said spurs maybe.

Classical Mechanic

I think Potter is a lot better than Howe. Potter can set up his side to out play Klopps Liverpool but also set them up to negate Ten Hag's United. Usually he plays progressive football but will also prey on opposition weaknesses when it pays.

Castia

The next time a 'big job' becomes available I can see him being in the running.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Really wish we got our hands on him when we sacked Ole.
I said the same on here, and got mocked for it.
Though I understand why some would be hesitant, and your board as well. A massive complicated job and while I think Potter is a very special manager, it'd be hard to a place like that with the experience he's had so far in his career.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I said the same on here, and got mocked for it.
Though I understand why some would be hesitant, and your board as well. A massive complicated job and while I think Potter is a very special manager, it'd be hard to a place like that with the experience he's had so far in his career.
Don't think anyone was mocking and the cafe rates him quite highly .It's just that our management would fail him and people are bit hesitant about his experience in managing dressing room egos.

Skills

Snitch
I don’t think Howe stagnated. He just didn’t ever learn from his mistakes and it caught up with him. He has seemingly used his time away from the game to work on those mistakes though. I’m struggling to find what Potters weakness is.
That's pretty much stagnation. He didn't adapt because he didn't have to, he had to move up a level to learn and improve.

Potter, if he's really going to manage a top club will have to learn to manage a squad. Play 2x a week and also the mentality shift of a draw being 2 points dropped rather a point gained.

Telsim

Can't see him taking a big job yet. Not many looking to be free anyway. I think he will end up at Villa or Leicester. Or replace Moyes at West Ham. I wouldn't mind him here, but we are too much a shambles to give him the best shot. It would be a bad career move for him.

marktan

He has been class for a long time, but it has to be always stated that he is helped by the excellent recruitment at Brighton and the structure Bloom has set up.

If he came to United for example he'd do well but he'd be hampered by our terrible recruitment.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Think he will try somewhere outside before taking a top 6 job . Top 6 isn't getting a new manager soon. If ETH fails miserably ( like relegation form) , then it'd be Poch for us. If Tuchel gets the sack, it would be a fancy name replacing him.

PoTMS

Everton, Villa and Leicester will all have managerial vacancies open up this season and yet already I think he's too big for any of them.

c gull

Supports
Brighton
The next time a 'big job' becomes available I can see him being in the running.
Might be in the running, but the thing he has at Brighton is that the expectation levels are lower, thus he gets more time especially if things are going wrong, will he get that time at a top 6 cluband a special relationship he has with the board.
You could say he is helping out you lot, we helped you get European football this season, and to day helped you get off the bottom of the table.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's pretty much stagnation. He didn't adapt because he didn't have to, he had to move up a level to learn and improve.

Potter, if he's really going to manage a top club will have to learn to manage a squad. Play 2x a week and also the mentality shift of a draw being 2 points dropped rather a point gained.
Not really. He ended up going backwards rather than stalling.

Potter is not going backwards or stalling in his development. He’s continuously improving.

c gull

Supports
Brighton
Everton, Villa and Leicester will all have managerial vacancies open up this season and yet already I think he's too big for any of them.
Are Everton and Villa a better option than Brighton, at the moment i dont think so, Leicester is a possibility and a worry.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We have to go from Ten Hag to Potter - possesion to possesion managers; we can’t switch to counter attack or something else afterwards.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

nah. Next in line probaby is Patrick Vieira, but Potter is doing great.