Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

OverratedOpinion

Like where? Spurs wont sack Conte unless things go tits up. Same with Liverpool and City. Arteta ain't leaving Arsenal, they are happy playing good football. Utd? Same as Conte.

This is a huge opportunity for him.
6 huge clubs in the country, 4 Champions league spots.

There will be sackings regularly.

Long Time Red

Completely disagree with posters saying it's a no brainer for him to move to Chelsea. He's got something good going on with Brighton, brought some exciting players in and I'd stick around for a while longer and see how far he can take them this season.

Chelsea look like a mess with regards to the players they've lost, the players they've brought in and the new owner looks like a joke.
He's not going to take Brighton any further than are.

He'll inherit a good squad at Chelsea that's underperforming.

There's something seriously wrong with Potter if he doesn't take the job.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He'll turn Chelsea down, 100%.
Nah, if they've approached and he's listening then it's all but done. Makes sense that you probably wouldn't have sacked Tuchel without someone lined up.

BorisManUtd

6 huge clubs in the country, 4 Champions league spots.

There will be sackings regularly.
Exactly.

I know it's so hard to turn a club like Chelsea down but Brighton this season look even better then in previous seasons, would be nice to see Potter complete the season there before moving next summer.

If this was November/December think he'd turn down their offer and want to finish the season at Brighton, however it's still only beginning of the season and have a feeling Potter will accept Chelsea's offer. I'll be jealous of Chelsea when/if they get him, have to say it.

redshaw

Think he'll take the job. It's too enticing at his stage unless another club sends a strong message you can be our next manager soon.

DevilRed

If you don't succeed at your first big job it can prove very hard to get another one.

He might be nervous about all the uncertainty with Chelsea, new owners, strange looking squad, Abramovic leaving them could prove to be a bit like Fergie retiring for us if not handled properly. He could look at someone like Moyes and have serious doubts.

I think he would be a big success there but he would be absolutely right to wait to have doubts.
It is a disgustingly shit club though. Horrible ownership, sordid and shady history funded mainly by russian terrorist blood money and before that rampant hooliganism.

Lets not forget the long history of sweeping player/staff legal troubles under the rug.

People just go there for the money. Lets face it. Will be interesting to see if the american owners break the bank for him as a manager. Its the only way anybody wants to be associated with that club these days. You just have to pay them over the odds.

Reiver

Exactly.

I know it's so hard to turn a club like Chelsea down but Brighton this season look even better then in previous seasons, would be nice to see Potter complete the season there before moving next summer.

If this was November/December think he'd turn down their offer and want to finish the season at Brighton, however it's still only beginning of the season and have a feeling Potter will accept Chelsea's offer. I'll be jealous of Chelsea when/if they get him, have to say it.
I agree with what you've said. I can't see him turning Chelsea down if the offer is there.

Dazzmondo

He'll turn Chelsea down, 100%.
Of course he's going to accept, don't be ridiculous. I'm intrigued to see how Potter will do at a big club. I think it's a really tough ask of him without a pre-season or a transfer window. He's an excellent manager though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed or fail at this point.

joedirt87

Only way he turns down Chelsea is if he wants the England job which there is a good chance will be open should Southgate underperform. If not he joins Chelsea, wins a trophy or two and gets sacked in 2024.

Idxomer

Only way he turns down Chelsea is if he wants the England job which there is a good chance will be open should Southgate underperform.
He's young and too good to go for the England job now, he needs to take the next step in club football.

RedDevilQuebecois

He wouldnt be travelling to London to meet Boehly if he didnt want it....
Billy Beane travelled to meet John W. Henry in Boston when Beane was offered the job of general manager of the Boston Red Sox, mostly because to his revolutionary use of sabermetrics to reconsider how to evaluate players. But Beane ended up turning down Henry's offer to stay in Oakland instead.

Until he puts that pen on the contract, the possibility of turning down the offer still exists. It wasn't long ago that Antonio Conte turned us down to join Spurs.

cyberman

It’s so early in the season that there’s a risk Potter could even be sacked before it’s over if the team doesn’t adapt to him. This isn’t a project ala Ten Hag, it’s a you should be doing better with the squad and our investment

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Boehly will ask Potter how he would line-up with Ronaldo and the interview will be over.

OverratedOpinion

Billy Beane travelled to meet John W. Henry in Boston when Beane was offered the job of general manager of the Boston Red Sox, mostly because to his revolutionary use of sabermetrics to reconsider how to evaluate players. But Beane ended up turning down Henry's offer to stay in Oakland instead.

Until he puts that pen on the contract, the possibility of turning down the offer still exists. It wasn't long ago that Antonio Conte turned us down to join Spurs.
Are you saying Potter should be played by Brad Pitt?

BorisManUtd

I agree with what you've said. I can't see him turning Chelsea down if the offer is there.
Yeah, seems to be close already. Thing is, of all so called top 6 PL clubs, Chelsea are last on the list I'd imagine Potter being their manager. Other 5 clubs seem to be more willing to be patient and give managers some time and not sack them quickly. Perhaps Chelsea will give him time as well, yes they sacked Tuchel but he wasn't appointed by these owners anyways.

RedDevilQuebecois

Are you saying Potter should be played by Brad Pitt?
:lol:

All I say is that there are always a lot of parameters to consider. Conte considered everything on the table between our offer and Levy's offer, and he ended up turning us down although we would easily have exceeded any offer from Spurs. Remember that Spurs were in a deeper hole than we were when he signed for them.

Now that Chelsea is no longer Roman's, they are walking into the unknown as no one knows what to expect anymore.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How well suited to his style of play is Chelsea's current squad?

Because given he's going to be stuck with them a while before he can make proper changes and Tuchel only just convinced them to spend a fortune signing players that fit his requirements this summer, it ain't exactly set for a big overhaul from here.

m1tch

I think he'd be far better waiting for the Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool job. One of those is sure to come up in a year or two. Maybe the Newcastle job will be a good one to take although hard to tell if their owners will be any better than Chelsea's in terms of sticking by a manager through a difficult spell.

Turning down Chelsea is still at bit of a gamble though. If things go wrong at Brighton whilst waiting for one of those other jobs to come up then he'll have clearly missed his big chance.

Lampard's managerial career is likely only going in one direction after briefly being at Chelsea, not that it probably would have been any different whether he'd taken it or not. I guess the point I'm making is that the Chelsea job is the fulfillment but also likely the end of a young manager's career managing top clubs. If you've managed top clubs before (like Tuchel) then you've not much to lose, you'll get another one.

It depends how confident Potter is about his own abilities. If he thinks he's got what it takes to manage top clubs then he's best staying away from a club like Chelsea for his first/second one. If he's happy with mid-table - bottom half premier league clubs then he's nothing to lose taking the Chelsea job.

kaku06

Ahh feck, I liked Potter as well. Now I’ll have to hope he fails.
Gutted but could be worse. Could be going to Arsenal or Liverpool after this season. Plus, more competition to city or pool. Don’t have to pray for city to stop Liverpool everytime and someone else to stop city too now if he succeeds. On top of that, Managers don’t stay at Chelsea for long. So, can easily see at united one day. Still gutted but it’s the least worst outcome.

mu4c_20le

If he's really as smart as we think he is, he'll stay the feck away from that mess

Idxomer

:lol:

All I say is that there are always a lot of parameters to consider. Conte considered everything on the table between our offer and Levy's offer, and he ended up turning us down although we would easily have exceeded any offer from Spurs. Remember that Spurs were in a deeper hole than we were when he signed for them.

Now that Chelsea is no longer Roman's, they are walking into the unknown as no one knows what to expect anymore.
I don't think that's what happened.

We were never in for Conte while he wanted the job badly.

avgp_1

How well suited to his style of play is Chelsea's current squad?

Because given he's going to be stuck with them a while before he can make proper changes and Tuchel only just convinced them to spend a fortune signing players that fit his requirements this summer, it ain't exactly set for a big overhaul from here.
Yeah it's pretty well suited actually. Lot of Brighton's attack comes from their advanced WBs March and Trossard, and then Gross basically their creative linchpin at #10. Mac Allister being the DLP.

I can see all of those roles available in the current Chelsea setup

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he's really as smart as we think he is, he'll stay the feck away from that mess
I agree. Still, would be the first time he's been tempted by a top club. I'd hope to see Rodgers there. Would be hilarious.

OverratedOpinion

there are three maybe 4 huge clubs in the prem. you mean 6 good teams :wenger:
Depends how you define huge I suppose. In comparison to Brighton Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Spurs and Chelsea are huge clubs.

If the point you are trying to make is that Spurs are not up there with Real Madrid then absolutely but they would still be a massive step up from Brighton.

bleedred

I feel chelsea would be too steep a climb for him. The expectations are vastly different.