Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Shark

@NotShark
Might as well bring Ole back as his assistant also, sure feck it, we can't sink any lower anyway.

Nogho

Ratcliff appears to desire a distinctly "British" flair for the entire club, a notion I find rather charming. I've always appreciated that United maintained its British essence while Arsenal and Chelsea embraced a more international outlook. Should he opt for a fresh start with a manager embodying a more traditional and perhaps conformist approach, I dare say such an appointment could very well materialize.

As for EtH, it seems he harbours aspirations of wielding influence over transfers—a pursuit that, judging by his track record, one might describe as rather lamentable. Given the current string of poor results and the myriad other undesirable aspects plaguing the team, I would be genuinely astonished if such a scenario, or something akin to it, were to unfold.

Furthermore, I share the sentiment of desiring a manager adept at articulating in the English language, one capable of injecting a bit of British humour into proceedings and presenting a more "human" facade to the media. The EtH approach, with its dull and unappealing demeanor, leaves much to be desired. Initially, there was a smidgen of charm to it, but now it has evolved into a tedious and uninspiring spectacle.

Piabetic

It would be a disaster because nothing would change to accommodate him as a manager. The club often pretends they are behind some kind of rebuild but in reality any new manager is generally expected to make the best of a group of players that are overpaid and largely not wanted by other clubs. Isn't it next season that the new format of the Champions League kicks in? They will be desperate to be a part of that however unlikely it looks and Radcliffe or not I would expect them to wait until the January window closes and then give Ten Hag the boot so they can bring in someone like Potter and they have no choice but to try and get by with the squad they have. There's a level of arrogance and entitlement in that squad so it wouldn't take long for the leaks of players being concerned that the manager doesn't have the experience for the job because obviously they have to be coached by the best of the best because they are the worlds best players.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If our criticism towards Ten Hag is his signings on top of other things, then surely you dont want someone who signs new players like its the last day of Rome.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Based on his time at Brighton, I wouldn't have a massive issue with giving him a chance as the head coach of a top side who are run effectively. It might just be the case that Chelsea were a basket case.

But we aren't run effectively. And even if the new football structure knows how to get us running effectively, it will take time. And as it stands Potter has achieved less in football than Ten Hag while also already having a high profile failure on his CV that Ten Hag doesn't. It's also notable that Brighton improved once Potter left, which either speaks to his replacement being better than him or how well run Brighton are (which he too benefited from).

So yeah, not a change I'd willingly make. If we found ourselves in a position where Ten Hag had to go within the next few weeks/month and there were scant other candidates willing to come mid-season, fine. It's better than fecking around with interim managers. But otherwise I'd rather wait until the summer if possible and see if there's someone more promising we can poach.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His time at Chelsea doesn’t seem so much of a reason to completely rule him out of contention when you see how badly Pochettino is struggling there and the version of Boehly’s monstrosity Pochettino inherited is far more settled than the one Potter got.

OleGunnar20

Ratcliff appears to desire a distinctly "British" flair for the entire club, a notion I find rather charming. I've always appreciated that United maintained its British essence while Arsenal and Chelsea embraced a more international outlook. Should he opt for a fresh start with a manager embodying a more traditional and perhaps conformist approach, I dare say such an appointment could very well materialize.

As for EtH, it seems he harbours aspirations of wielding influence over transfers—a pursuit that, judging by his track record, one might describe as rather lamentable. Given the current string of poor results and the myriad other undesirable aspects plaguing the team, I would be genuinely astonished if such a scenario, or something akin to it, were to unfold.

Furthermore, I share the sentiment of desiring a manager adept at articulating in the English language, one capable of injecting a bit of British humour into proceedings and presenting a more "human" facade to the media. The EtH approach, with its dull and unappealing demeanor, leaves much to be desired. Initially, there was a smidgen of charm to it, but now it has evolved into a tedious and uninspiring spectacle.
U wot mayte

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Based on his time at Brighton, I wouldn't have a massive issue with giving him a chance as the head coach of a top side who are run effectively. It might just be the case that Chelsea were a basket case.

But we aren't run effectively. And even if the new football structure knows how to get us running effectively, it will take time. And as it stands Potter has achieved less in football than Ten Hag while also already having a high profile failure on his CV that Ten Hag doesn't. It's also notable that Brighton improved once Potter left, which either speaks to his replacement being better than him or how well run Brighton are (which he too benefited from).

So yeah, not a change I'd willingly make. If we found ourselves in a position where Ten Hag had to go within the next few weeks/month and there were scant other candidates willing to come mid-season, fine. It's better than fecking around with interim managers. But otherwise I'd rather wait until the summer if possible and see if there's someone more promising we can poach.
We could encroach and approach a coach to poach, but who?

Red Star One

Furthermore, I share the sentiment of desiring a manager adept at articulating in the English language, one capable of injecting a bit of British humour into proceedings and presenting a more "human" facade to the media.The EtH approach, with its dull and unappealing demeanor, leaves much to be desired. Initially, there was a smidgen of charm to it, but now it has evolved into a tedious and uninspiring spectacle.
Genuine question - who’s the last British manager in the league to “inject a bit of British humour” and present a more human facade? Sure ETH is dull, but at the end of the day it’s non-British managers that have been running the media show for decades now, with Pep, Klopp, Jose at the forefront. I’d also say Arteta, Emery, Ange or Poch are still more charismatic and relatable than superdull likes of Lampard, Dyche or Hodgkin

Nogho

U wot mayte
Back when Arsenal and Chelsea were splurging on their player acquisitions, Sir Alex Ferguson steadfastly upheld a British core. I'd dearly love to see that reinstated. Call me nostalgic, but that's what initially endeared me to this club.

In my view, EtH is rather lacklustre and lacks the managerial flair expected of someone leading a prestigious club like United. Initially, he seemed to possess it, but as the results took a nosedive, so did his overall image. Potter might not be the perfect choice, but he is British, and the prospect of having a British manager once again would be lovely.

Nogho

Genuine question - who’s the last British manager in the league to “inject a bit of British humour” and present a more human facade? Sure ETH is dull, but at the end of the day it’s non-British managers that have been running the media show for decades now, with Pep, Klopp, Jose at the forefront. I’d also say Arteta, Emery, Ange or Poch are still more charismatic and relatable than superdull likes of Lampard, Dyche or Hodgkin
Perhaps you're correct, but it would be delightful to have a manager who could bring some smiles back. Someone less dreary, someone capable of lifting the mood and making United likable once more.

Honestly, the somber and hollow appearance of EtH in interviews gives off the impression that everything is already lost. The poor chap looks rather unwell.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Park life.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Perhaps you're correct, but it would be delightful to have a manager who could bring some smiles back. Someone less dreary, someone capable of lifting the mood and making United likable once more.

Honestly, the somber and hollow appearance of EtH in interviews gives off the impression that everything is already lost. The poor chap looks rather unwell.
Results are what brings smiles. Not jovial managers. Ange wasn't looking cheery in the middle of that bad run Spurs had.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If our criticism towards Ten Hag is his signings on top of other things, then surely you dont want someone who signs new players like its the last day of Rome.
I would have to think that that was a Chelsea thing more than a Potter thing. Or a Boehly thing I should say.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Both Potter and Poch have admitted that they aren't and weren't exactly green-lighting every transfer at Chelsea. In contrast you have signed a lot of ex-Ajax or EtH players and players that have played in the Dutch league.

Anyway, I agree with the posts by @DWelbz19 @simonhch and @MadMike . Don't think Potter is a bad manager but I don't think the United job is right at all for him or United at this moment in time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Don't think Potter is a bad manager but I don't think the United job is right at all for him or United at this moment in time.
Agreed. He did well in the CL from memory but then was awful in the League and Domestic Cups. He'd do well at a club like Tottenham with a clear structure in place and minimal drama.

He'd just be stepping from one disaster zone to another if he came here. Avoid for your own good Potter, the moneys not worth it.