Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
No, you are wrong: Jacobs, Law, and everyone seriously associated with Chelsea said he ABSOLUTELY accepted when they approached and asked him if he wanted to direct transfers.

What he absolutely DIDNT want was to do any of the work associated with it. He would delegate even as answering the owners to random assistants.

This is all well documented.

Also, they still want Leao AND Nkunku. You are assuming Auba meant no Leao. They couldn’t get a deal across for Leao. The two situations are unrelated. This was also pretty well covered.
And Ornstein said the opposite. I read a lot of bs (=lies) when Tuchel got sacked from Dortmund (or PSG) from journos close to those clubs that got debunked much later, also because Thomas keeps his mouth shut, that I would always take those "close" mouthpieces of a club with a large grain of salt. Since you insist that Thomas was totally content with the midfield and also in total control over the transfers: why was FdJ seriously chased for such a long time? Why sign Zakarias last minute after failing to sign all those other ones? Was Gordon or Raphinha (or Koundé) eventually thought out to be a potential RWB cover for James?

I am assuming: no Leao = Auba as a stop gap. And for the record, just because Potter seemingly has no clue how to set up shop to make players eventually look a wee bit better than they actually are doesn't mean that others wouldn't find a way to include Auba for example. Or Sterling. Or Cucurella (ouch) or many of the others that are underperforming.

If Potter loses a couple more of his next games he will likely face the harsh reality of the football business - let's hope Todd's brilliant long term strategy isn't centered around a total newcomer regarding elite clubs.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I actually do think when Kante, Fofana, and James return, aswell as Chilly, we will go up a level or 2. Plus a big January is likely incoming [with a plan i hope]. I'd love us to bring the Nkunku deal forward to Jan
Kante will probably leave end of the season. Silva, Azpi and Jorginho also leave in the next year or two.

Potter will have build a new team pretty much 2nd half of this season and next.

TheReligion

Abusive
Kante will probably leave end of the season. Silva, Azpi and Jorginho also leave in the next year or two.

Potter will have build a new team pretty much 2nd half of this season and next.
Yeah I was saying this.

Easily needs to spend another £250m just to replace the out going players.

Then you have to look at Pulisic, Ziyech, Aubamayang and Havertz in terms of forwards.

It’s a hell of a lot to rebuild.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I was saying this.

Then you have to look at Pulisic, Ziyech, Aubamayang and Havertz in terms of forwards.

Pretty fecking stupid that we turned down Tchouameni for €‎40m during the summer of 2021!

It's been beyond obvious for years we needed to refresh our midfield. Regrettably we didn't and now it's bordering on dire.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Pretty fecking stupid that we turned down Tchouameni for €‎40m during the summer of 2021!

It's been beyond obvious for years we needed to refresh our midfield. Regrettably we didn't and now it's bordering on dire.
Are you sure Chelsea could have signed him that cheap? When the rumours came up I was pretty sure that he could end up there given our recent success and the fact Tuchel knew him well + speaks fluent French. Thought he was much more expensive ultimately and there were rumours of a pre contract / agreement with RM at the end. I may remember it wrong though. Would have been ace for them.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Are you sure Chelsea could have signed him that cheap? When the rumours came up I was pretty sure that he could end up there given our recent success and the fact Tuchel knew him well + speaks fluent French. Thought he was much more expensive ultimately and there were rumours of a pre contract / agreement with RM at the end. I may remember it wrong though. Would have been ace for them.
Yep - this was the summer before he had his breakout campaign at Monaco in 21/22. Reportedly Chelsea's hierarchy turned it down because they didn't think he was ready. Tuchel liked him a lot. Instead we got Saul Niguez :wenger:

Chelsea is MAD

I would like to start off by saying that I absolutely do agree with the notion that we need to invest time on a manager and what you are about to read will come off as lacking that desire, however hear me out. The team needs a rebuild, this much is very clear even to the bluest tinted glassed fan. We need a manager that can build the core of the squad with an identity. Our squad is a mix of players, leftovers from many managerial changes, therefore we lack any identity. This would fall in line with Todd Boehly's thinking when he gave Potter a 5 year contract. This however, has proven to be fatal. Potter to me lacks any elite tactical nous, he lacks a spine himself. He does not have a stamp of authority in him whatsoever. To build around a manager, you need to see the managers vision. 2 months in, we have ZERO identity, or idea on what Potter would like us to play as. The man is bland, personality and tactics. You need an elite manager who will be able to stamp his authority and identity on a new rebuild. This is not Potter. He was flavor of the month at best, and Boehly having no football knowledge fully bit on the hype hook. We speak of his great job at Brighton. Do you truly know his percentages? His time with Chelsea is included below.

Premier League Records

Matches128
Wins37
Draws46
Losses45
Goals For142
Goals Against157

He has a 28% winrate. In Tuchel's first game with us against Wolves, you knew immediately the identity he wanted bled in his team. A team that no-one wants to play against. Defensively solid, possession based. Two months later, we have no idea what Potter wants his team identity to be. This is where the idea that we need to let him build around the team collapses. A manager knows right away what he wants his team to do. Regardless if the players do not fit. You buy in the window, but at least you are pushing the identity. Look at Ten Haag at United, you can see his vision clearly. Potter has no vision for his team. During last week's training, a Chelsea youtube content creator actually went to see the team train. Guess what Potter did the whole time? He stayed half the field away from the team, literally did NOT speak once to the team. He was just looking in the distance, not engaging whatsoever with the team. He is timid, over his head, and fundamentally not good enough to manage a team like Chelsea.

We need to find a coach who understand what it takes to build a team, and stick with him. Potter is simply, not good enough.

Reactions: Carolina Red

TheReligion

Abusive
I would like to start off by saying that I absolutely do agree with the notion that we need to invest time on a manager and what you are about to read will come off as lacking that desire, however hear me out. The team needs a rebuild, this much is very clear even to the bluest tinted glassed fan. We need a manager that can build the core of the squad with an identity. Our squad is a mix of players, leftovers from many managerial changes, therefore we lack any identity. This would fall in line with Todd Boehly's thinking when he gave Potter a 5 year contract. This however, has proven to be fatal. Potter to me lacks any elite tactical nous, he lacks a spine himself. He does not have a stamp of authority in him whatsoever. To build around a manager, you need to see the managers vision. 2 months in, we have ZERO identity, or idea on what Potter would like us to play as. The man is bland, personality and tactics. You need an elite manager who will be able to stamp his authority and identity on a new rebuild. This is not Potter. He was flavor of the month at best, and Boehly having no football knowledge fully bit on the hype hook. We speak of his great job at Brighton. Do you truly know his percentages? His time with Chelsea is included below.

Premier League Records

Matches128
Wins37
Draws46
Losses45
Goals For142
Goals Against157

He has a 28% winrate. In Tuchel's first game with us against Wolves, you knew immediately the identity he wanted bled in his team. A team that no-one wants to play against. Defensively solid, possession based. Two months later, we have no idea what Potter wants his team identity to be. This is where the idea that we need to let him build around the team collapses. A manager knows right away what he wants his team to do. Regardless if the players do not fit. You buy in the window, but at least you are pushing the identity. Look at Ten Haag at United, you can see his vision clearly. Potter has no vision for his team. During last week's training, a Chelsea youtube content creator actually went to see the team train. Guess what Potter did the whole time? He stayed half the field away from the team, literally did NOT speak once to the team. He was just looking in the distance, not engaging whatsoever with the team. He is timid, over his head, and fundamentally not good enough to manage a team like Chelsea.

We need to find a coach who understand what it takes to build a team, and stick with him. Potter is simply, not good enough.
If that’s true (about the observed training) then Chelsea are in big trouble.

It already looks suspiciously like the players aren’t playing for him.

Such a disconnect could be fatal.

bringbackbebe

Yeah I was saying this.

Not in a worse position than we were last year. Their forward line is not very dissimilar to Rashford, Martial, Ronaldo, Elanga, Lingard, Cavani.

Remember, a wise man once said:
"If you don’t know what you are looking for it is a needle in a haystack. If you know what kind of football you want to play and what kind of profiles for each individual position, then it’s about finding them and convincing them to come."

He later turned out to be an imposter though.

Mr. Robot

I like Potter but he’s clearly out of his depth. That post above was an interesting read by the Chelsea fan.

Potter hasn’t got the personality for a big club. He’s a very boring man and the players don’t seem like they are interested.

These are good times. Chelsea are in a decline as everyone predicted. Without Roman, they’re up shit creek without a paddle.

Also, from Twitter:

The Athletic sources, who need to maintain anonymous in order to protect their jobs, have made it clear the club’s new owners’ support for Potter and the long-term project they share is unwavering.

Indeed, this was communicated to the Englishman just a few days ago. Before anyone misconstrues this, it should not be mistaken for a vote of confidence.

The phrase which has often been used when a manager on the verge of the sack gets rather unconvincing public backing from the hierarchy only to depart soon enough.

(@SJohnsonSport & @TheAthletic)
:drool: :drool:

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I like Potter but he’s clearly out of his depth. That post above was an interesting read by the Chelsea fan.

Potter hasn’t got the personality for a big club. He’s a very boring man and the players don’t seem like they are interested.

These are good times. Chelsea are in a decline as everyone predicted. Without Roman, they’re up shit creek without a paddle.

Also, from Twitter:

:drool: :drool:
You're wrong there i think. I dont get the 'without Roman' stance, as financially we are actually better off now, and after getting abuse for yrs at how often we hire and fire, people are now giving the new owners a bit of stick because they might actually want to stick with Potter for the time being. We are in this situation due to a lack of a real DOF in the summer window, and the [in hindsight] underperforming signings. There is a very good chance that with James, Kante, Fofana and Chilwell back we will go up a level or 2.

The way Clearlake are willing to throw money around would suggest that with a experienced, good, DOF then upcoming windows will be better, Nkunku for one. And if Potter was to get the boot, i think theyd go for a winning manager next with a solid CV

However, re the bolded part I highlighted, i have thought that myself once or twice. I'd love him to succeed here but i do get the impression his team talks would be repetitive

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Premier League Records

Matches128
Wins37
Draws46
Losses45
Goals For142
Goals Against157

What on earth is the point in listing his win/loss record as the Brighton coach? It literally serves no purpose and it has no bearing on his ability to coach Chelsea.

This bolded bit is just nonsensical. A silly youtuber went along to an open training session where they do a few keepy uppy and shooting drills for the public to ooh and aah about before they're ordered off the premises so the real work can begin and he thinks he knows everything about how Potter coaches his team? :wenger:

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
And in that post you have both answered the reason why they felt they couldn’t trust Tuchel, and why Potter needs time.

Nkunku is almost finished under pre contract, Broja can be good with better support, and we are looking at additional options.

It’s funny you mention creativity, because one of our most difficult issues is also one of our touchiest: where does Mason fit?

He isn’t creative enough to be our 10. He’s awful as a winger and can’t apply pressure running at defenders, and he needs a VERY physical presence behind him if you plan on him being your 8.

They are still trying to pull Arsen out of Russia, but that poor kid may be stuck for awhile.

But aside from him as a prospect do they realize they need a creative force in midfield still? Or are they under the impression Mount can be that guy?

It is a major question moving forward.
Mount is a n. 8. He is not a left wing.
Chelsea needs two attacking players: a goal scorer (Nkunku is very good) and a winger with dribbling and creativity (for me Kvaratskhelia, or second choice Leao). Sterling is useless, but now is difficult sell him. Keep Broja, Harvetz and Pulisic and sell Zytech.
The mid needs a defensive midfielder (Kouadio Kone is my first choice, for sure not Edson Alvarez, very overrated). Sell Jorgingo. Keep Kovacic, Mount, Rlc, Gallagher. Plus the youngs Chukwuemeka, Hall and i like also Webster.
In defense recall Colwill and bring back Ampadu (a good player). Plus buy a sub for Reece (Frimpong).
This is a 200m market. But Boehly has jus spent 300. Can Chelsea spent another 200m? The waste of money of this summer is a total disaster.

Last edited:

cyberman

What on earth is the point in listing his win/loss record as the Brighton coach? It literally serves no purpose and it has no bearing on his ability to coach Chelsea.

This bolded bit is just nonsensical. A silly youtuber went along to an open training session where they do a few keepy uppy and shooting drills for the public to ooh and aah about before they're ordered off the premises so the real work can begin and he thinks he knows everything about how Potter coaches his team? :wenger:
And, as we see on the pitch, that real work is obvious on the pitch and in no way backs up the YouTubers observations about not being able to impose himself in training.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And, as we see on the pitch, that real work is obvious on the pitch and in no way backs up the YouTubers observations about not being able to impose himself in training.
Well no, since Chelsea actually have had good matches under Potter and that youtuber is just being hysterical for the sake of being hysterical, as they all do. And his observations are worthless since no actual real training is being conducted in an open session. Shooting drills does not require Potter standing there shouting at the players. So yeah, pointless observation.

cyberman

Well no, since Chelsea actually have had good matches under Potter and that youtuber is just being hysterical for the sake of being hysterical, as they all do. And his observations are worthless since no actual real training is being conducted in an open session. Shooting drills does not require Potter standing there shouting at the players. So yeah, pointless observation.
What are those good matches? I can see a CL argument but genuinely the only game you’ve played well in is the Wolves game?

TheReligion

Abusive
You're wrong there i think. I dont get the 'without Roman' stance, as financially we are actually better off now, and after getting abuse for yrs at how often we hire and fire, people are now giving the new owners a bit of stick because they might actually want to stick with Potter for the time being. We are in this situation due to a lack of a real DOF in the summer window, and the [in hindsight] underperforming signings. There is a very good chance that with James, Kante, Fofana and Chilwell back we will go up a level or 2.

The way Clearlake are willing to throw money around would suggest that with a experienced, good, DOF then upcoming windows will be better, Nkunku for one. And if Potter was to get the boot, i think theyd go for a winning manager next with a solid CV

However, re the bolded part I highlighted, i have thought that myself once or twice. I'd love him to succeed here but i do get the impression his team talks would be repetitive
It’s all good and well throwing money about. If the structure isn’t there and it’s not done wisely it will go sour.

We should know this being United fans.

Chelsea is MAD

This was not an open session training, it was a full training which sponsors were allowed to bring a few selected people with them. Not the open session BS. The lack of shooting absolutely shows not only in training, but in our matches too. It is not pointless, it is spot on, regardless if you like it or not. The observation he had before the game was “from what I saw in training, I really dont know where we will get goals from. I cant see us scoring”. We lost the game and we could not score.
The youtuber is YounesTalksFootball and youd find him to be one of the more honest and clear youtubers around if you decide to give him a watch for reference.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What are those good matches? I can see a CL argument but genuinely the only game you’ve played well in is the Wolves game?
Yes, Chelsea played well in pretty all the CL games, as well as against Brentford and Wolves in the league, and to be honest City in the league cup. That's a handful of games, roughly half of all the games Potter has been in charge of.

Last edited:

Chief123

Roman & Tuchel to Boehly & Potter. Has there ever been a bigger downgrade?

Potter probably won’t be there long term but Boehly heading the club has the potential to be a disaster.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Potter probably won’t be there long term but Boehly heading the club has the potential to be a disaster.
I mean with Potter and the new owners, only time will tell. Both are literally months into their new roles. In terms of spending over a prolonged period, almost any owner will be a downgrade from Abramovich. I don't buy the idea that we know enough about Boehly to confidently say he's going to be amazing or a disaster. But yeah, Tuchel to Potter is a downgrade, that much is clear.

TheReligion

Abusive

Too early to tell but I can’t fathom anyone claiming Boehly hasn’t been a disaster so far. Amateur hour.

*that’s not to say he won’t improve

Chief123

I mean with Potter and the new owners, only time will tell. Both are literally months into their new roles. In terms of spending over a prolonged period, almost any owner will be a downgrade from Abramovich. I don't buy the idea that we know enough about Boehly to confidently say he's going to be amazing or a disaster. But yeah, Tuchel to Potter is a downgrade, that much is clear.
I think Roman was as good an owner any football fan could wish for. A multi billionaire who cares about the club and doesn’t want any profit. It doesn’t get better than that.

It’s still early days for owner and manager but as each day passes, the summer transfer window is looking worse by the day. Especially considering it was the most expensive ever yet they seem to look even worse now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think Roman was as good an owner any football fan could wish for. A multi billionaire who cares about the club and doesn’t want any profit. It doesn’t get better than that.

It’s still early days for owner and manager but as each day passes, the summer transfer window is looking worse by the day. Especially considering it was the most expensive ever yet they seem to look even worse now.
Yeah, it's why, from that perspective, almost any new owner would be a downgrade.

I think the jury is out on these new players. I have been very frustrated by them, but just like the manager and owners, they also need time to be judged fairly. It's the signings from a couple of years ago I am less willing to be patient with - Havertz, Ziyech etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This was not an open session training, it was a full training which sponsors were allowed to bring a few selected people with them. Not the open session BS. The lack of shooting absolutely shows not only in training, but in our matches too. It is not pointless, it is spot on, regardless if you like it or not. The observation he had before the game was “from what I saw in training, I really dont know where we will get goals from. I cant see us scoring”. We lost the game and we could not score.
The youtuber is YounesTalksFootball and youd find him to be one of the more honest and clear youtubers around if you decide to give him a watch for reference.
I know who the youtuber was, and he falls into trap of jumping on trends just like the rest of them who rely on sensationalism to garner engagements and clicks. The idea that he went along to a training session where outsiders were invited to watch and he thinks he's gained enough insight to so confidently judge Potter's training methods with this much negativity is wild. Obviously you can take his word as gospel, if you want, but forgive me if I prefer to treat that observation with a bit more salt than that.

Last edited:

Chelsea is MAD

I know who the youtuber was, and he falls into trap of jumping on trends just like the rest of them who rely on sensationalism to garner engagements and clicks. The idea that he went along to a training session where outsiders were invited to watch and he thinks he's gained enough insight to so confidently judge Potter's training methods with this much negativity is wild. Obviously you can take his word as gospel, if you want, but forgive me if prefer to treat that observation with a bit more salt than that.
I do not treat it as gospel, you can try to put down all you like to fit your agenda. As far as the youtuber goes, you know nothing because he is a rare breed that does not do this whatsoever, you chose to attack his opinion because it doesnt relay your personal opinion. It doesnt fit your agenda, this I understand. If you take off those blue tinted specs you will also realize that we have no clear identity and absolutely lack any shooting form. If you decide to burrow your head in the sand then thats on you mate. The pathetic selections and tactics by Potter are there to see. The pathetic work put in by majority of our team is there to see. Making changes during the game does not make Potter a tactical genius, it shows he lacks any kind of tactical nous to set up a winning team therefore he always has to backtrack.

Boehly has no idea what he is doing, the transfer fiasco is right under your nose to see. Giving Potter FIVE YEARS speaks itself on the disconnect and amateur level Boehly is in.
We spend 300m on 3rd and 4th option choices because Barcelona played Boehly like a fiddle. We are worse off then we started.

if you decide to just ignore everything, that is on you. As for today, I have finished the 3 daily posts I am allowed, so good day to you sir.

Last edited:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
A little bit of context should be considered for this 'most expensive window ever' stuff.

With Antonio Rüdiger and Andreas Christensen leaving on freebies, thanks to the previous ownersip regime's negligent contract management, replacing them was always going to cost money. [Irrelevant point] had also been on borrowed time for a while and he's another player we were never going to get any money for despite needing to be replaced.

Of those players Rüdiger especially was always going to be very difficult to replace, given he had played at an almost world class level for the last 1,5 years prior to leaving. So far Koulibaly hasn't been close to the same level but for Fofana the jury is still completely out due to him getting injured so early on.

Chilwell again getting a long term injury just points out how desperately another adequate option on the left was needed. Cucurella hasn't been great so far but I still wouldn't trade him back for Alonso. I also think Cucurella can still become somewhat of a success when other areas, mainly midfield, are improved and the team regain a bit of structure to them. The money spent on him was definitely too much which we all knew already but there's still a good player in there regardless.

Sterling is another one who hasn't been all that good but then again he's previously shown he's got what it takes to play in a well functioning top team so I wouldn't give up on him yet either. It's clear he's not someone who will raise the team's level by himself but if he's complemented by other top class players he can definitely be a useful asset.

Around £40M of the summer spend was also used on youngsters (Chukwuemeka, Casadei, Slonina, Hutchinson) with an eye to the future instead of even expecting them to have an immediate impact. Chukwuemeka has been used in the first team as a substitute a few times and he's shown some promise but at 18yo he was never going to be a first team regular straight away. Casadei and Hutchinson have been very, very good for the U21s. For these players we probably won't know for a while whether they're good enough for us or not but I would say if even one of them makes it to be a regular at the club then it will have been money well spent.

For all the money spent I would say only Auba (£10M), Koulibaly (£33M) and Sterling (£47M) were expected/needed to have an immediate impact but everyone else still has time on their side.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Is it not quite feasible to think Chelsea, an irrelevant club who were bought out by a Russian sugardaddy, are heading back to irrelevance now said sugardaddy has sold up?

Chelsea fans can convince themselves their a huge club now but they’re an oil club plain and simple. They can still have success short term but given the early signs I’d be very worried about the long term A LOT right now if I was a Chelsea fan (which I’m not as I’m not a racist yob who grew up on the shed end nor someone who started watching football post-2004).

Offsideagain

Well Mr.Potter signed a five year contract with Chelsea, so the compensation will be massive if they sack him soon. They should at least give him one transfer window to get a team he wants. Could give a monkeys what they do although Potter seems a good man.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Is it not quite feasible to think Chelsea, an irrelevant club who were bought out by a Russian sugardaddy, are heading back to irrelevance now said sugardaddy has sold up?

Chelsea fans can convince themselves their a huge club now but they’re an oil club plain and simple. They can still have success short term but given the early signs I’d be very worried about the long term A LOT right now if I was a Chelsea fan (which I’m not as I’m not a racist yob who grew up on the shed end nor someone who started watching football post-2004).
We were decent before 2004 to be fair. In answer to your question, highly unlikely

Amarsdd

I think Boehly should help Potter by getting him a proper striker in January like lets say Ronaldo..

Red Star One

Question to resident Chelsea fans.

How do you see Tuchel's sacking now?
I mean it's a bit of a provocative and cruel question right? Considering majority of them were not really happy to see Tuchel go and to think they'd change their opinion after Potter's shitshow...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Question to resident Chelsea fans.

How do you see Tuchel's sacking now?
I mean I didn't like it at the time, but if the stories if friction between him and the owners were true, then I understood. That has nothing to with Potter though, as I'm more than happy with him and see a good future with him as our manager. It is a divisive issues though, as lot of Chelsea fans don't rate Potter and want him out already.