Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

The Dane

Doesn’t really matter for Potter, he’ll get a decent pay off and become another statistic of Chelsea’s long list of managerial casualties. My bet is he’ll end up at Southampton by the end of the year.
This brings me to a question I have ofren thought about. How are the clubs outside of top 6/7 ranked in terms of finance/history/fan base etc which might influence what kind of managers the individual clubs can attract and whether it’s a step up or down. I would assume that clubs like Everton, West Ham and Villa are higher ranked than for instance Brighton but would it have been considered a step up if Potter had ended up here instead of at Chelsea, and would it be a step up if someone like Thomas Frank went to Leeds or Southampton ?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Tempted to say this is a stupid question but I should answer it respectfully!!

seriously, he never said or did anything like this with us, but it’s a different kind of pressure now.

This was the best I remember for a manager getting agitated with the press though…

EDIT I didn’t realise that video was lots of them I thought it was just Pearson, but there’s some very funny ones there!
De Zerbi hasnt missed a beat has he? Or do you think they are still going to be a Potter coached team for the rest of the season?

Castia

Desperate for an attacker god knows why they’re after defenders and midfielders

Getting sacked anyway they look clueless

cyberman

It’s that bad I can’t even see what style they’re trying to implement . They’re not playing Potters style badly, they’re just playing like shit

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
That press conference video is embarrassing. Guy has no clue.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
chelsea have found their moyes and woodward combo. see you in a decade, boys.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Boehly playing football manager right now to try and scramble 19 new players he can sign in real life.

Castia

Think he might go tomorrow

They don’t even have a game plan it’s rubbish

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This is a very unexciting FA Cup tie in front of TV cameras. Easy for City. Disastrous for Potter.

Zoo

Just a bad fit. He doesn’t have the ego for Chelsea. Somewhere like Everton or Villa maybe Spurs would have been a better fit.

SATA

Said he would be their Moyes but half the Caf here wouldn’t have that. Hope he stays there as long as he can. I think he’s a good manager but some are just not suited to manage a big football club. I also don’t think the Chelsea players whom some are winners elsewhere have enough respect for him

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
De Zerbi hasnt missed a beat has he? Or do you think they are still going to be a Potter coached team for the rest of the season?
It’s quite rare for a coach coming into a team that is already doing well, but de Zerbi has come in and improved us. We press more under him and take more risks going forward, which have paid off so far.

He was appointed because of his similarities to Potter, but he’s introduced youth far quicker and right now we’re the best we have ever been.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
They do have a long injury list which could buy him a bit of time. But it’s not looking great.

mu4c_20le

Surprised he didn't play the kids, they looked bright last time and at least there'd be an excuse.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It’s quite rare for a coach coming into a team that is already doing well, but de Zerbi has come in and improved us. We press more under him and take more risks going forward, which have paid off so far.

He was appointed because of his similarities to Potter, but he’s introduced youth far quicker and right now we’re the best we have ever been.
who is your DoF?

Red-17

Do people forget how bad Arsenal looked under Arteta at times? Chelsea are daft if they don’t at least give him until the start of next season. It would help if there transfer strategy didn’t resemble a drunk person playing darts. Not really sure how you have continuity when you sign 10 new players.

dove

Do people forget how bad Arsenal looked under Arteta at times? Chelsea are daft if they don’t at least give him until the start of next season. It would help if there transfer strategy didn’t resemble a drunk person playing darts. Not really sure how you have continuity when you sign 10 new players.
Yea but for 1 Arteta there are 100 Oles’, Lampards’ etc. Although I agree, Potter should be given at least 5 more years.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Reading Shed End forum reminds me of our forum under Ole. Trust the process and all that shite.

Bless them. They deserve it for those Abramovich years and usurping us and Arsenal with their oligarch cash.

ha ha ha

mu4c_20le

Arteta did inherit a declining mess, Chelsea are a top 4 club having recently been champions of Europe

mu4c_20le

Yea but for 1 Arteta there are 100 Oles’, Lampards’ etc. Although I agree, Potter should be given at least 5 more years.
Both ole and lampard got a tune out of the players initially. This is more like Moyes.

El Zoido

He’d be a good England manager, I was hoping Southgate would call it a day after the WC and that Potter would take over. Managing big club teams is a different kettle of fish, especially Chelsea who are nothing but drama.

Red-17

Potter has proven himself much more than those two had. I do think he would be doing much better as an off-season appointment though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don’t think the players rate him
Not one bit. We've been through this cycle enough times over the past 10 years to recognise the signs.

The players, clearly, aren't sold on him and they think/know if it goes wrong he'll be out.

We can argue the toss about it, sure as hell have under a few United coaches over the past decade, but multimillionaire players aren't just going to listen to anyone. There's a lot of 'big' players in that squad who will look at Potter's CV and think: 'He's not got anything to show me.'

El Presidente

Surprised he didn't play the kids, they looked bright last time and at least there'd be an excuse.
He's playing with fullbacks who have school tomorrow.
Unless you're suggesting that he should have fielded a full youth team. If you do that at the Etihad against a fairly strong City XI, you might get jailed for child abuse.

Last edited: