Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Arteta did inherit a declining mess, Chelsea are a top 4 club having recently been champions of Europe
Tuchel's Chelsea were already showing signs of decline last season and then had a calamitous start to the season. What they did 2.5 years ago has very little relevance to today especially given the exodus of players on free transfers. They replaced their best defender with a new player to the league who so far has been a big disappointment. Fofana has been injured non-stop as well as have James and Chilwell. Basically Thiago Silva is their best defender and that should not be the case in 2023 for a top side. They still don't have a striker too so it is no surprise that a team with a non-existant defense and an attack reliant on wingers with poor goal scoring records is struggling.

I go back to it but that conference video tells you all you need to know. He’s rattled and he’s in over his head. Doesn’t have the personality or mentality for a big club.

He has genuinely had very bad luck with injuries. However, he has also fecked about with the shape of the team way too much, persists in picking Havertz up top though he really hasn't been good, and is now accompanied by an apparently mad owner. Beginning of a decline for Chelsea quite possibly.

I go back to it but that conference video tells you all you need to know. He’s rattled and he’s in over his head. Doesn’t have the personality or mentality for a big club.
I think he's going to be a terrific manager for a big club, but Chelsea is just an absolute shitshow

Can’t really judge anyone on a match against City especially with a lot of crocks on the bench. I do think Potter will find he is out of his depth at Chelsea provided he gets time but I feel he will be gone before the end of the month. He is definitely missing Thiago Silva and City are in exhibition mode. Hope they don’t play like this next Saturday.

I think he's going to be a terrific manager for a big club, but Chelsea is just an absolute shitshow
He needs time and lesser expectations, Chelsea in the middle of the season was literally the worst, and most of us said this. Ironically Howe at Newcastle is doing exactly what we expected from him. That would've been a more suitable job for him.

The new owners should have known better than hiring a manager with hair, let's see if they learn

0 shots with over 50 minutes gone :lol:

The reality is that some managers (Including Potter) are just destined to be decent mid-table managers and that is the level of their abilities.

Feel really sorry for him. He had to take the chance of managing a top club eventually it's just totally unfortunate it was the Chelsea job that came available first.

Their an absolute mess and it's not going to get any better when the manager isn't even picking his own transfer targets.

I give him a few more games and he will be gone.

Writing was on the wall when they signed Koulibaly and Aubameyang. And spent most of the summer chasing a perma crocked centreback.

£50m for a flat track bully like Sterling wasn’t smart either

Trying to get himself sacked so he’s a free agent when the England job comes up.

Magical stuff.

Going out of both cups early is not great especially when you're doing poor in league, they were unlucky to draw City at Etihad in both cups and have many injuries but ultimately he'll probably be under pressure. I don't think he'll get sacked that soon though, do believe new owner would give him preseason and until next Christmas if Chelsea show signs of progress in their performances and style of play over next 4 months, even if results suffer. If performances don't improve and players give up on him, so will Boehly. He's spent too much to keep underperforming manager for too long.

Very similar to United under Ralf

There’s no coming back the players have switched off you can see it.

For anyone who rates him….

If we didn’t have Ten Hag would you want Potter at Utd?

Who took the Potter to be sacked bet here? Obviously wont go after today but not looking great.

Tuchel's Chelsea were already showing signs of decline last season and then had a calamitous start to the season. What they did 2.5 years ago has very little relevance to today especially given the exodus of players on free transfers. They replaced their best defender with a new player to the league who so far has been a big disappointment. Fofana has been injured non-stop as well as have James and Chilwell. Basically Thiago Silva is their best defender and that should not be the case in 2023 for a top side. They still don't have a striker too so it is no surprise that a team with a non-existant defense and an attack reliant on wingers with poor goal scoring records is struggling.
Pretty much spot on. Thought it was pretty obvious even for outsiders to see but apparently not. A lot of clueless takes, hyperbole and conjecture.

I don’t understand how people can keep saying Tuchel would have served any better in this current situation. We have been shit now for an entire year and will continue to be for a while longer. There was no signs that Tuchel was going to turn it around and everyone who claims he should have stayed were calling for him to go before the end of last season. Then Potter comes in and they said “we must give him time” and are now calling for him to go. It’s embarrassing.

Potter might not be good enough but what is clearly certain is the squad isn’t good enough, for various reasons. The priority right now is to get the playing staff right before we change 1 person who will also likely have a bad time with this shitshow group.

Pretty much spot on. Thought it was pretty obvious even for outsiders to see but apparently not. A lot of clueless takes, hyperbole and conjecture.

I don’t understand how people can keep saying Tuchel would have served any better in this current situation. We have been shit now for an entire year and will continue to be for a while longer. There was no signs that Tuchel was going to turn it around and everyone who claims he should have stayed were calling for him to go before the end of last season. Then Potter comes in and they said “we must give him time” and are now calling for him to go. It’s embarrassing.

Potter might not be good enough but what is clearly certain is the squad isn’t good enough, for various reasons. The priority right now is to get the playing staff right before we change 1 person who will also likely have a bad time with this shitshow group.

I shouldn’t laugh but have you considered Wout Weghorst? Be more impactful than Aubamayang.

Writing was on the wall when they signed Koulibaly and Aubameyang. And spent most of the summer chasing a perma crocked centreback.

£50m for a flat track bully like Sterling wasn’t smart either
Feel sorry for Potter - he didn’t sign any of the players, got some right shite in that squad and a lot of his good-uns are out injured……Im convinced he would do a good job in the long run but not sure he is going to get the time…..

When you look at some of their signings of the last few years it’s worse than ours (pre ETH) - they do look like they have some good youngsters though…..

If Roman was still there Potter would be gone….I hope he gets a chance.

Potter.jpg

To make things worse, you also have Boehly circus off the pitch. Deadly combination.

The Chelsea players are showing the same kind of fight we had last season under Ole. We may have gotten spanked at the Etihad earlier this season but the team showed their willingness to go down fighting.

Even with all the caveats on no transfer window, lots of injuries, difficult program, etc. etc., this really is a dreadful period for Chelsea.

Said he would be their Moyes but half the Caf here wouldn’t have that. Hope he stays there as long as he can. I think he’s a good manager but some are just not suited to manage a big football club. I also don’t think the Chelsea players whom some are winners elsewhere have enough respect for him

Would love to see some of the hot takes before he was signing.

I thought he a good up and coming coach but this is shambolic. I bet he didn't even want the job but he had to take it. You don't knock back a big club like cheslea and expect people to take you serious as a coach.