Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who was the guy who said Potter would get sacked this season and then his replacement would as well? Might be cooking

lysglimt

Scout
Managers should have learned by now - you don't get time to build at Chelsea. You get a bunch of expensive players and you make them win immediately - or you get sacked.

lysglimt

Scout
Just realized that Potter is the 18th manager at Chelsea since january 1st 2000 (23 years)

Someone

Something
Genuinely dont think he is. There is a reason Boehly at al brought in a lot of Brighton staff. Its long term
There's no long term if you lose the dressing room. Not sure if he's there yet, but they're starting to remind of United under Ole.

BorisManUtd

He is Moyes mk.II. Not seeing anything special from him.
I rate Potter but this season really is becoming similar to Moyes' at United. Out of cups in January, looking bad in league and Champions League being so far only positive, though it was an easy group to deal with. Not looking good in games vs PL rivals is another similarity.

DWelbz19

This will be a lesson to clubs hiring upcoming managers from down the table. The gap in expectation and quality between the top clubs and bottom/mid table clubs is enormous.
It’s the same thing for players too. The magnifying glass shines bright on you the higher up the table you go

Sviken

I think he made a HUGE mistake when he decided to go there in the middle of a season. As a manager you just don't do that. It makes your job far harder than it is needed to be. These players aren't his and are obviously not playing for him at all.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Potter doesn't have a champion mentality and mindset which is necessary when you're managing a big club and some egotistical players. It's his biggest problem atm, you can look at some of Chelsea player's body language.

DWelbz19

Graham Potter and the Prisoner of xG

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he made a HUGE mistake when he decided to go there in the middle of a season. As a manager you just don't do that. It makes your job far harder than it is needed to be. These players aren't his and are obviously not playing for him at all.
Agreed. He walked into a struggling side and hasn't yet been able to turn it around.

All the signings they've made but none of them have really improved things either.

Woodzy

It wasn't the middle, which made it even worse tbh. The timing couldn't haven't been any poorer, considering the transfer window had just closed and consisted of a combination of signings by the previously sacked manager and the new nutcase owner.

He really was set up to fail, considering he's a manager that is in no way proven at the top level and his reptutation comes from building teams over a longer period of time.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Both Brighton and Brentford are good cases of the club infrastructure being better than any manager they make look good.

crossy1686

career ending
Genuinely dont think he is. There is a reason Boehly at al brought in a lot of Brighton staff. Its long term
About 10 years ago, we fired all the United staff that were successful under Ferguson and hired Moyes, who brought all his staff from Everton. The staff that were still working there would refer to them as “here’s Everton…” when they showed up for training.

Moral of the story is, it’s fecking stupid.

gormless

Tuchel did the exact same thing and won the Champions League in fairness

mu4c_20le

, If I were a Chelsea fan, the question id ask is whether or not this season will be a write off. If so, it should be made clear to the manager so he's not shitting himself every week.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I rate him as a manager but agree with others going to Chelsea mid season was likely a big mistake. He is a system and process kind of manager and mid season there was always a chance this could happen and then the hysteria will finish him off. They look toothless upfront and Havertz is their main outlet for goals and has been fecking awful.

if they can keep their heads throughout this tricky period he might come out of it ok, needs to pick up some results against mid table teams in his next few games.

I think the worry would be that you just can’t see how they’re going to score many goals. Even in good times Brighton we’re often spectacularly toothless and would go on runs of drawing about 10 games in a row.

Will be interesting seeing how it unfolds.Probably is something to idea he is not kind of big personality enough for big club like Moyes, though that’s where comparisons end because Moyes is a bang average tactician who always got a complete schooling against any top coach. You can’t hang that on potter whose Brighton teams regularly outplayed elite opponents.

He looks like he’s got a few bad eggs in the dressing room there who he needs to ship out and replace asap. Havertz is all over the shop. Ziyech has some good qualities but is a nothing effort sort of player and coaster. Aubameyang seems to not really gel at any big club anymore etc. Also he’s been grade a fecked by injury.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Especially when results start nosediving. Then it'll just be confirmation (fair or not) of what they already think. I remember Keown talking about that situation once, and he said that, to the players, the manager just becomes a 'talking head': you don't listen to what he says, he's just a voice in the background that you tune out. Sometimes it isn't even a conscious decision. You just don't believe anything he says is of any use.

And about Boehly: many on here called him Woodward Mk II. Nothing I've seen contradicts that.

It's a joy to watch it happen to another club. I'll be following this disaster with great interest!
Yeah. Can't disagree with a word of that.

What's weird is that, every club in England has had our example (and Everton's) to learn from. Yet Boehly has gone and repeated exactly the same errors.

That being said we had the example of Liverpool in the 1990s and didn't learn. I guess there's always going to be a guy who's self-confident enough to think he can make the supermarket sweep approach work.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I still rate him - he's done well everywhere he's been and his Brighton were very good. However, I think he'll need time and patience to make it work but I don't see him getting it.

Castia

Guardiola has come out and told Chelsea not to sack him :lol:

Embarrassing

crossy1686

career ending
Telling you, the second the top 4 is no longer attainable he’ll be fired ala Moyes. Easier to to let go the ‘chosen one’ when you can say they were given time.

redshaw

They should stick with him and see out their philosophy of appointing him. This is just Arteta growing pains and will take time and lots of money, he doesn't have a magic wand.

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s been set up to fail though

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He’s been set up to fail though
I think you know the score when you sign up to manage Chelsea, especially parachuting in mid-season. He'd already built enough credit to be in line for a big job on his own terms, and any of the other big clubs in the country would have been a better fit for him when another job opened up.

If he does end up getting the sack there, I think he'll quite badly regret not waiting for better circumstances.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you know the score when you sign up to manage Chelsea, especially parachuting in mid-season. He'd already built enough credit to be in line for a big job on his own terms, and any of the other big clubs in the country would have been a better fit for him when another job opened up.

If he does end up getting the sack there, I think he'll quite badly regret not waiting for better circumstances.
I sympathise with him though.

I said the whole thing was a bodge job but some of the Chelsea fans suggested it was all a big plan. Boehly has totally bungled this and Potter could end up being the fall guy which is sad as he’s a good coach.

AshRK

They should stick with him and see out their philosophy of appointing him. This is just Arteta growing pains and will take time and lots of money, he doesn't have a magic wand.
I agree he shouldn't be sacked but arteta is not the wisest example as till now we don't for sure know if that would yield major trophies. Chelsea has always demanded top honors. Do you think they will be happy with a manager finishing 8th 8th and 5th and ultimately coming in top 4. No ambitious club sadly offers that much time.

TheReligion

Abusive

crossy1686

career ending
We also should have given Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Solskjaer more time. Would have worked out in the end