Gaming Grand Theft Auto V | 2022: GTA+ (monthly GTA Online subscription) announced exclusively for PS5/Xbox Series

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You're all fools if you still play this.

Be smart like me and wait for the PS6 upgrade of GTA V. I hear there's a new car in it.

Abizzz

Hate to be that guy, but really wish people would stop putting so much money into GTA V online so Rockstar can actual start working on GTA VI. They're at Bethesda levels of milking now.
I paid 20€ 5 years ago and still play it now and then with friends. Honestly the best money spent on any game ever / per hour.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
It's been years since I've played this (PS3 or 4 maybe) but having just built a new PC I thought I'd download it to see how it looks and plays. Having just played the recent GTA definitive trilogy (and enjoyed them), it has really put into perspective what an incredible game this is. There is so much depth to the world it's insane, exploring every single nook and cranny like you would on the trilogy games is almost not even up for consideration due to how infeasible it would be. Being desperate for GTA 6 to come out is basically one of my core human feelings at this point next to being tired and hungry, but just having a refreshing look at how this (2 gens old!) game looks, with RDR2 in the back of my mind just excites me so much for it, I cannot wait!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It is quite strange how so many people moan about the game.

It's actually fecking brilliant how this one game, can appeal to generation after generation. Hell, I played it on launch and I could still play it today and have fun.

That's not what I'm getting at though, I am talking about new players being able to pick it up for the first time and still being brilliant.

Holocene

Each time this thread gets bumped I get excited and then leave heartbroken.

arthurka

RDR1-RDR2 still hold have the upper hand for me. But thoroughly enjoyed GTA5 for years.

hobbers

I never understood the point of GTA online.

Like I remember the first iteration of it I did the money glitch with car sales and had basically infinite money. Had everything you could buy. Utterly pointless.

It has some excellent online versus modes, like car sumo, and the heists were a decent coop experience. Although the servers and load times are hideous. But why anyone would want to spend actual money on GTA online I dont get. It's even less comprehensible than Ultimate Team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Never played it on next gen as I didn't pick it up when it was free before. Just downloaded it and doing a trophy run. Forgot how fun it was to pop on some music and just blast through this game.

Spark

That seems ridiculous to me – surely they have gotten enough money out of the users by now???

Back when we were all on it, I probably would have done this...but that was how long ago???
Rockstar has basically become what they’ve been parodying in every GTA.

They’ll now employ a “head of growth” probably who’s targeted on revenue and CAC and ROAS and other bollocks metrics designed to squeeze every last penny from consumers infinitely.

Shame, cos they are the best when they sack the online shite and just focus on making amazing offline games. You’d think they could do that forever, considering they gross billions in sales alone.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Rockstar has basically become what they’ve been parodying in every GTA.

They’ll now employ a “head of growth” probably who’s targeted on revenue and CAC and ROAS and other bollocks metrics designed to squeeze every last penny from consumers infinitely.

Shame, cos they are the best when they sack the online shite and just focus on making amazing offline games. You’d think they could do that forever, considering they gross billions in sales alone.
I think they were genuinely surprised how well GTA Online has done – both from a revenue perspective via shark cards, and also from a player engagement angle. There were apparently single player DLCs that were scrapped because they put all their focus and resources against Online. It is a shame – given that some of the DLC for GTA IV were fantastic (The Ballad of Gay Tony), but I can understand their reasoning as it's hard to argue with how successful GTA Online has been.

I will also say that I cannot remember the last time I played GTA V, as opposed to GTA Online. After I completed the main story, I don't think I went back. In previous games I would have, because there would have been so much to do in the sandbox that they created. But I just do that in GTA Online instead. I still play GTA Online quite alot – whether it's doing solo heists, or jumping into different races/challenges/missions with randoms.

But I agree that they are in danger of parodying themselves. I am really curious to see how GTA Online evolves when GTA VI launches. Will it be an add-on/extension of the existing GTA Online world? That would make sense as it is the same time period (so the vehicles will be of a similar ilk). But then they will have players starting the game with millions in their banks – which would likely impact shark card sales (or maybe not if they are still raking in millions from them for a 10 year old game!). If it is going to be a standalone world, with no character carry-over, then I feel it needs to be quite different in structure, as I think many people would not be too willing to start the grind from level 1 again – especially if it involves buying vehicles that they have already bought and used in GTA V!

But am still really excited for GTA V and can't wait to hear more about it and see the next trailer whenever it drops.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Never played it on next gen as I didn't pick it up when it was free before. Just downloaded it and doing a trophy run. Forgot how fun it was to pop on some music and just blast through this game.
Same – I recently decided to get all the collectables in the game. I found a map guide and put music on and then used different cars to chill and drive around the map. Went to some places I hadn't actually been to before – and that is after having played the game since day 1!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

Like I remember the first iteration of it I did the money glitch with car sales and had basically infinite money. Had everything you could buy. Utterly pointless.

It has some excellent online versus modes, like car sumo, and the heists were a decent coop experience. Although the servers and load times are hideous. But why anyone would want to spend actual money on GTA online I dont get. It's even less comprehensible than Ultimate Team.
I know this is an old post – but only just saw it with the recent bump!

I think you provided your own explanation there. The point of GTA Online is to grow your character and their funds/resources over time. R* have I think in the past been too stingy with ways to make respectable money, but I think that changed when they released the heists (particularly the Cayo Perico heist). Choosing to do a glitch that breaks the game and gives you infinite money obviously removes the element of progression – so no wonder you couldn't see the point of it and got bored.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Same – I recently decided to get all the collectables in the game. I found a map guide and put music on and then used different cars to chill and drive around the map. Went to some places I hadn't actually been to before – and that is after having played the game since day 1!
Yeah, I've never done the Nuclear waste stuff as always thought I'd get bored going around in the sub but with a good playlist on it's quite nice just zooming through the ocean.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think they were genuinely surprised how well GTA Online has done – both from a revenue perspective via shark cards, and also from a player engagement angle. There were apparently single player DLCs that were scrapped because they put all their focus and resources against Online. It is a shame – given that some of the DLC for GTA IV were fantastic (The Ballad of Gay Tony), but I can understand their reasoning as it's hard to argue with how successful GTA Online has been.

I will also say that I cannot remember the last time I played GTA V, as opposed to GTA Online. After I completed the main story, I don't think I went back. In previous games I would have, because there would have been so much to do in the sandbox that they created. But I just do that in GTA Online instead. I still play GTA Online quite alot – whether it's doing solo heists, or jumping into different races/challenges/missions with randoms.

But I agree that they are in danger of parodying themselves. I am really curious to see how GTA Online evolves when GTA VI launches. Will it be an add-on/extension of the existing GTA Online world? That would make sense as it is the same time period (so the vehicles will be of a similar ilk). But then they will have players starting the game with millions in their banks – which would likely impact shark card sales (or maybe not if they are still raking in millions from them for a 10 year old game!). If it is going to be a standalone world, with no character carry-over, then I feel it needs to be quite different in structure, as I think many people would not be too willing to start the grind from level 1 again – especially if it involves buying vehicles that they have already bought and used in GTA V!

But am still really excited for GTA V and can't wait to hear more about it and see the next trailer whenever it drops.
One thing to remember when the game comes out is there is always a new set of kids who are old enough to buy the game so as some lose interest in buying cars they previously had the next gen of players will be finding all of this new.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
One thing to remember when the game comes out is there is always a new set of kids who are old enough to buy the game so as some lose interest in buying cars they previously had the next gen of players will be finding all of this new.
Fair point!

MegadrivePerson

The online mode is incredible though. It's one of the few games me and my friends all enjoyed playing together online.

If you create a playlist there's so many different modes you can do from Tiny racers (Micro machines rip off) to Sumo, to Parkour races. The amount of time we spent online playing it means that this is the ultimate value for money game for me. We probably spent 10 to 12 hours a week playing it a few years ago!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

You done a money glitch so you didn't have to play the game properly. People buying stuff with actual money are doing exactly the same thing, just faster.

hobbers

The online mode is incredible though. It's one of the few games me and my friends all enjoyed playing together online.

If you create a playlist there's so many different modes you can do from Tiny racers (Micro machines rip off) to Sumo, to Parkour races. The amount of time we spent online playing it means that this is the ultimate value for money game for me. We probably spent 10 to 12 hours a week playing it a few years ago!
Oh I know it. Sumo, the Vespucci job, last man standing, slasher, stunt races, cops and crooks (on GTA IV, of course they were too lazy to make a version of it on V). That side of GTA online is amazing, save for the load times.

It's the buying apartments and jets and hoverbikes that I dont get. There's nothing fun about the open world map in a random lobby.