Gaming Grand Theft Auto VI | Trailer out now

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Those were the days :lol: someone would always create a race and be dead excited about it, we would all do it and call it dogshit :lol:

A few epic races dotted about, and those team kill games were feckin hilarious, bazookaing the cars all over while trying to knock the guys off the floating crates!
The snipers and ramps one whatever it was was great fun! Getting a headshot as a car was flying at you always felt so good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's awful, stick to remembering it as being a great game back in the day.

Edit: not knocking the game, but playing it today isn't a great experience, clunky, and seems fairly hollow and empty.
I saw a clip of someone playing San Andreas the other day and when I saw what Las Venturas looks like compared to my childhood memory of literally running around a perfect Vegas replica :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I saw a clip of someone playing San Andreas the other day and when I saw what Las Venturas looks like compared to my childhood memory of literally running around a perfect Vegas replica :lol:
:lol: when I went back and played Goldeneye my mind vomited

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The snipers and ramps one whatever it was was great fun! Getting a headshot as a car was flying at you always felt so good.
People suiciding by mistake was always great.

Landing a car on there and wiping everyone out was always epic too, however, pulling the cnut out that car then taking the car to move down to the bottom was even better :lol:

fergies coat

:lol: when I went back and played Goldeneye my mind vomited
I loved Goldeneye. Me and my mates played 4 player mode on the N64 pretty much every night. It came to xbox game pass a few months ago and I couldn't wait to play it again. I was pretty disappointed, it was shit, nostalgia is a funny thing. I'm not that 13 year old kid anymore I suppose.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I am in the minority here, I still love gtav, play it once a week with a few mates online. Never boring for us. One of the best games ever for me. Story mode was fun too 10 years ago, online has so much to do I dont understand how people can be bored with it. Its a big sandbox where you can make your own fun.
I agree with this and still play it today.

I appreciate some might prefer the story of IV, or the setting of San Andreas, or the time period of Vice City…but IMO none of them come close to what GTA has become with GTA Online.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Yeah would have been mine too if not for that pesky @NotoriousISSY :lol:

Tbh, that was also probably one of the most hilarious moments in GTA too. So close yet so far. I'm sure it was a suicide with a bazooka too :lol:
I think it was one of the attack helicopters that got @NotoriousISSY - think he shot it with the bazooka but before it blew up it shot a missile back at him!

Followed by the saddest, most defeated “Oh no, oh no…” you are ever likely to hear!!

I would actually be up for giving that another go for old times sake :)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I appreciate some might prefer the story of IV, or the setting of San Andreas, or the time period of Vice City…but IMO none of them come close to what GTA has become with GTA Online.
I think you definitely need a core group of mates who have the interest though which to me feels basically impossible. There are zero games I can play over and over for ten years.

Plus the way they’ve just turned it into a cash grab doesn’t feel good.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I think you definitely need a core group of mates who have the interest though which to me feels basically impossible. There are zero games I can play over and over for ten years.

Plus the way they’ve just turned it into a cash grab doesn’t feel good.
I do agree - although the thing that helped the most for me was when they enabled you to do most of the missions etc in solo lobbies. I had no interest trying to complete objectives whilst being repeated blown up by griefers!

It has obviously been a huge moneymaker for R* and I wish some activities paid more. But then you can do the Cato Perico heist in about an hour solo and that will give you over $1m

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Just finished playing tonight with a couple of mates and we found a player who was away from their controller and his avatar kept moving so we decided to get him into the sea and see how far we could make him swim. Sounds pretty dumb I know but kept 4 of us hilariously amused for over an hour.

Herman Toothrot

Nowhere near. It was simply the most successful.
I'm not really swayed either way by how much money Take 2 Interactive have pocketed. It's a game that's held up for over a decade and is the realisation of the series ambition. The story isn't the best, though let's face it, San Andreas and Vice City do not hold up as well as IV, or even The Ballad of Gay Tony. It has the scope of San Andreas and all the detail of IV. Even to this day, I can switch it on and spend hours just crashing around in the open world trying to steal a fighter jet for my own amusement. The online aspect left me behind because I was too slow and I'm too old, but I'll be giving it a go for six because nobody makes sandboxes this fun.

Herman Toothrot

Just finished playing tonight with a couple of mates and we found a player who was away from their controller and his avatar kept moving so we decided to get him into the sea and see how far we could make him swim. Sounds pretty dumb I know but kept 4 of us hilariously amused for over an hour.
Yeah I can see the fun in this. I need to get involved next time.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Not to me!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I'm not really swayed either way by how much money Take 2 Interactive have pocketed. It's a game that's held up for over a decade and is the realisation of the series ambition. The story isn't the best, though let's face it, San Andreas and Vice City do not hold up as well as IV, or even The Ballad of Gay Tony. It has the scope of San Andreas and all the detail of IV. Even to this day, I can switch it on and spend hours just crashing around in the open world trying to steal a fighter jet for my own amusement. The online aspect left me behind because I was too slow and I'm too old, but I'll be giving it a go for six because nobody makes sandboxes this fun.
You would have been fine with us because we played with @Damien ;)

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im 61

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The caf PS group was great (back in the days before crossplay was more of a thing and discord). I'm not exactly fast and think I was the only one who didn't use a mic and managed fine. We split up in two groups to have a go at the Criminal Mastermind trophy. I think everyone would have put money on me being the one failing in our half but I had no problem before someone else in the group died as has been mentioned above.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Well, I guess best luck to Sam Hauser and the dev team.

Dan Hauser, Leslie Benzies, Michael Unsworth, DJ Lazlow, Imran Sarwar, Adam Fowler and few more not in R* anymore, still hope they have the budget and ideas left from last 10 years of planning to pull this one off.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
@swooshboy @Big-Red @Damien @Levo @Duffy @Solius @christy87 @One Night Only remember when @Solius created that wonderfully awful custom map playlist?

Or when @Levo (levo gone from redcafe?) made that Polish guy from here rage quit because he kept spinning him during the racetrack circuit. My guy was screaming bloody murder at the top of his lungs. :lol:
Remember one race in particular with utility vehicles that nearly drove me to end it all. Absolutely nonsense of the highest order.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Remember one race in particular with utility vehicles that nearly drove me to end it all. Absolutely nonsense of the highest order.
:lol:
Think I will go in and try to update that race with the new vehicles!!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The caf PS group was great (back in the days before crossplay was more of a thing and discord). I'm not exactly fast and think I was the only one who didn't use a mic and managed fine. We split up in two groups to have a go at the Criminal Mastermind trophy. I think everyone would have put money on me being the one failing in our half but I had no problem before someone else in the group died as has been mentioned above.
It worked a lot of the time even without a mic for you, however we had times the entire group would just shout instructions to you and hope you'd clearly heard us. Then we'd be like "where the feck is damo" and you'd wandered off somewhere completely different doing your own thing.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It worked a lot of the time even without a mic for you, however we had times the entire group would just shout instructions to you and hope you'd clearly heard us. Then we'd be like "where the feck is damo" and you'd wandered off somewhere completely different doing your own thing.
Good times.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
:lol:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think it was one of the attack helicopters that got @NotoriousISSY - think he shot it with the bazooka but before it blew up it shot a missile back at him!

Followed by the saddest, most defeated “Oh no, oh no…” you are ever likely to hear!!

I would actually be up for giving that another go for old times sake :)
I’d do it again but no one likes me now :(

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Am both excited and curious to see what this trailer shows.

Everyone knows it will look better - but V still looks good right now.

Everyone also knows the type of missions etc that these games have.

So what is going to be the surprise, or the hook?

My feeling is that the game is nearer release than many people think.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

First time I think I've ever bookmarked a trailer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Am both excited and curious to see what this trailer shows.

Everyone knows it will look better - but V still looks good right now.

Everyone also knows the type of missions etc that these games have.

So what is going to be the surprise, or the hook?

My feeling is that the game is nearer release than many people think.
Yeah I think it might be closer too. Maybe late 2024 release.

I'm kinda hoping they bring back some older elements whilst improving the actual gameplay loop. I really liked that you could bulk-up/get fat in San Andreas. It meant there was such a variety in how everyone's characters looked. Keep the hair growth things from RDR2 as well. It felt quite satisfying having to grow it out if you wanted it long and it actually felt like a decision to cut it short eventually.

Also just allow more freedom in missions. Not so on rails please.

Kaos

I think they need to shake up the gameplay mechanics tbh. As great as both GTA V and RDR2 were, the gameplay mechanics were beginning to show their age with how formulaic and rigid they were. It seems Rockstar has stuck to the same script in all their missions for years now - drive/ride to point A, kill/steal person/item X, run away or go to point B. Detract away from the script and it's an immediate mission fail.

I want to see them offer a bit more creativity and open-ended approaches to the objectives, and perhaps some impactful choices. I don't want or expect it to be a fully fledged RPG necessarily, but after playing BG3 I feel like some creative freedom would be very welcome.

NakeyJakey actually did an excellent video on this very topic years ago which sums up my sentiments perfectly:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Yeah I think it might be closer too. Maybe late 2024 release.

I'm kinda hoping they bring back some older elements whilst improving the actual gameplay loop. I really liked that you could bulk-up/get fat in San Andreas. It meant there was such a variety in how everyone's characters looked. Keep the hair growth things from RDR2 as well. It felt quite satisfying having to grow it out if you wanted it long and it actually felt like a decision to cut it short eventually.

Also just allow more freedom in missions. Not so on rails please.
I think they need to shake up the gameplay mechanics tbh. As great as both GTA V and RDR2 were, the gameplay mechanics were beginning to show their age with how formulaic and rigid they were. It seems Rockstar has stuck to the same script in all their missions for years now - drive/ride to point A, kill/steal person/item X, run away or go to point B. Detract away from the script and it's an immediate mission fail.

I want to see them offer a bit more creativity and open-ended approaches to the objectives, and perhaps some impactful choices. I don't want or expect it to be a fully fledged RPG necessarily, but after playing BG3 I feel like some creative freedom would be very welcome.

NakeyJakey actually did an excellent video on this very topic years ago which sums up my sentiments perfectly:

I agree – the opportunity to really customise your character is one example of something that has gone backwards over the games, rather than being advanced.

I would also love more freedom in the missions – loved the example they showed in the video of different ways to complete an objective – and you should be able to use all the tools you have at your disposable (vehicles or weapons etc) to complete any mission. Hopefully stealth becomes a legitimate option, instead of something where you can randomly alert the enemies without doing anything obvious.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar to the last game in terms of GTA Online and release it after the main game. Although not sure what approach they are going to take with that. I doubt they want to let people carry over their current charactes – as most will have millions already. But at the same time, not sure how they can restart it. They have created so many vehicles, for example..would be strange to expect people to grind and buy them again. Maybe they will have a whole new approach to Online?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A proper next gen police system would be incredible too. They had aspects of it in GTA V and RDR2.

You could maybe change it in the options if you don't want it but having it where you could be hunted by the police and tracked down leading to a big manhunt would be cool. Or just smarter AI for it. Like if you're hiding from the police and you lose your wanted level you can just run past them 2 seconds after they were just looking for you.