Gaming Grand Theft Auto VI | Trailer out now

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well if they manage to make it absolutely nothing like Florida in 2023 then you'd have a point but given they historically do make it like the era and location they want to then you know pretty much what you're getting don't you?

If you hate everything about Florida in 2023 then it's not gonna look great is it?
How much time have you spent in Florida, and specifically Miami?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Well if they manage to make it absolutely nothing like Florida in 2023 then you'd have a point but given they historically do make it like the era and location they want to then you know pretty much what you're getting don't you?

If you hate everything about Florida in 2023 then it's not gonna look great is it?
I hate LA but loved Los Santos and GTA V because it's a video game and enhanced the good things and took the piss out of the shite things.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Enough. Wasn't for me.

I'd be saying the same if it was set in Las Venturas because I really wasn't enamoured with Las Vegas.
Dull is not a word I’ve ever heard used to describe Miami, so the vagueness of your response makes me assume not much.

Same for Vegas really, I can fully appreciate some people not liking it but dull certainly wouldn’t be a reasonable word for it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Dull is not a word I’ve ever heard used to describe Miami, so the vagueness of your response makes me assume not much.

Same for Vegas really, I can fully appreciate some people not liking it but dull certainly wouldn’t be a reasonable word for it.
Once you see past the neons there's nothing to either place. Vapid, plastic and naff. Not often I go somewhere and think 'I wouldn't go back' but those two I definitely did.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Sounds more like you personally need a break from the news cycle than anything else.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Such a good song choice, hit that out of the park for me. It already feels like it’s going to be special.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As long as they won't bring too much Saints Row absurdity slop like mechs, jetpacks, superpowers etc. it has potential to be a decent GTA game.

Ainu

As long as they won't bring too much Saints Row absurdity slop like mechs, jetpacks, superpowers etc. it has potential to be a decent GTA game.
Don't think GTA would go for stuff that isn't at least rooted in reality, just not their style. Having said that, there was a jetpack in San Andreas.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm not sure where you'd go to top Miami + the Keys + whatever city to the north for a GTA game given they just recently did New Orleans (albeit in a different era) and did LA and NYC before that.

Seattle + Vancouver is viable I guess, as is Chicago. The only slam dunk is San Fran/Oakland + Reno or Vegas with mountains & desert in between.

FriedClams

Definitely not disappointed about it going back to Vice City, the world looks great and, ultimately, it's going to be a totally different beast to the PS2 Vice City (was going to say OG Vice City, but that would be the top down one!)

I'm wondering what they can do with the world (other then missions obviously) to make it interactive/worth your time though? Just thinking about the previous Vice City where the beach was a big part of the map, but ultimately absolutely pointless.

Maybe it all just has to be mission-centric/focused - like I can't imagine why you'd go to a nightclub in the game otherwise? Either that or there's just an insane amount of mini-games/random events etc.
people play the game all kinds of ways. There will be socially anxious people who haven’t ever gone to a nightclub but going there in the game lets them do that. There’s also thousands of videos on YouTube of people who have effectively created their own missions/storyline.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not sure where you'd go to top Miami + the Keys + whatever city to the north for a GTA game given they just recently did New Orleans (albeit in a different era) and did LA and NYC before that.

Seattle + Vancouver is viable I guess, as is Chicago. The only slam dunk is San Fran/Oakland + Reno or Vegas with mountains & desert in between.
Oh man I’d love one set in Seattle during the early 90’s grudge era. That’s my wet dream - going for a Nirvana concern in between missions.

Sara125

Side note: I’ve always thought it was worth Rockstar making a sequel or something to Bully. I only played it once they re released it on the PS4 so obviously some years after the initial release but it was still quite popular.

Rojofiam

Really disappointed by the trailer.

The game world and density will surely be incredible and set new standards in gaming, as Rockstar's main releases usually do, but this was the most generic, bland, soulless, goofy trailer I've ever seen from them. I didn't feel the Rockstar touch at all, it felt like a generic Ubisoft title to me...half the trailer just Instagram reels and showing crazy Florida man stereotypes, women twerking and crocodiles.

I also hope Jason will be a fleshed out character with his own story and thoughts, and not just a yes man for Lucia. :D The next trailers will probably properly introduce both protagonists.

I'm still optimistic that it's just this trailer that doesn't do it for me and the game will be amazing...but I didn't wait 10 years for this. I also wanted NYC, or Chicago, or some other midwest location after a decade of Los Santos.

I still trust Rockstar, though, as all the main installments since III are all-timer games and childhood favorites of mine, as well as RDR2.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Don't think GTA would go for stuff that isn't at least rooted in reality, just not their style. Having said that, there was a jetpack in San Andreas.
Starting to wonder what the new gimmick will be this time. San Andreas had 3 cities, GTA IV came with a sick car crash physics, GTA V had 3 switchable characters in real time, and now after 10 years of waiting can't really tell what it's going to be.

Perhaps minor details like gas tank mechanic, skateboarding, speed tickets could be immersive, but think could be something on a way bigger scale.

FriedClams

Not at all. There are plenty of amazing games with incredible atmosphere.

I just don't like the current period we're living in and this is aping it.

Don't like Florida in the slightest. Miami is a shithole. Don't like the music that comes from there or the celebrity types that go there, don't aspire to be an influencer, fed up of rednecks after 8 years of American politics. It basically looks like Instagram/Florida man meme 2023 for me.

Tired of GTA after V being redone over and over and milked until it's dead.

I'm sure it'll be well made and I'm sure there'll be more to it but I feel like loads in here have just gone 'OMG GTA <3' without really considering it. Think back to why Vice City was so special, it wasn't because of the actual city. If you remove what made Vice City so special, what are you left with?
No it isn't.

Balljy

The game world and density will surely be incredible and set new standards in gaming, as Rockstar's main releases usually do, but this was the most generic, bland, soulless, goofy trailer I've ever seen from them. I didn't feel the Rockstar touch at all, it felt like a generic Ubisoft title to me...half the trailer just Instagram reels and showing crazy Florida man stereotypes, women twerking and crocodiles.

I also hope Jason will be a fleshed out character with his own story and thoughts, and not just a yes man for Lucia. :D The next trailers will probably properly introduce both protagonists.

I'm still optimistic that it's just this trailer that doesn't do it for me and the game will be amazing...but I didn't wait 10 years for this. I also wanted NYC, or Chicago, or some other midwest location after a decade of Los Santos.

I still trust Rockstar, though, as all the main installments since III are all-timer games and childhood favorites of mine, as well as RDR2.
I know what you mean by that, it comes across as a bit GTA by numbers with some deliberately over the top characters and stereotypes. It looks beautiful but didn't really hit for me.

I'm still confident in Rockstar though and the world is obviously very well built so I think the game could still be top class.

Hoof the ball

This Redditor has a very interesting take on the plot from the trailer shown. Well worth a look!

He posits that the male character is possibly working undercover for the police and that somewhere along the journey his feelings become real for the female character, who of course, is the criminal element in question. That leads to potential where the Bonnie and Clyde thing plays out.

I like the theory of a Bonnie and Clyde sort of story, but not a fan of what'll doubtless be endless character switching mid mission.

The fact Franklin, Michael and Trevor all had their own arcs and stories and supporting casts was a good part of GTA5. Thats not going to be the same with 2 characters who are together.
Not much actually revealed in that trailer. I'd agree it looks like a Bonnie and Clyde type story, but hopefully its more of the case you select one at the start and largely play as them. I'm never a fan of random switches between character inside missions. I've always preferred to have one consistent character that I view as me in games

hobbers

Some of that sounds very plausible.

Not an undercover cop sent to catch her in particular, that wouldn't make sense. Possibly investigating some major criminal element she's involved with.

And like with GTA5 there will be split endings probably based around whether he betrays her at the end or not. Or whether he confesses and she kills him.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

They're not going to give too much away – both in order to build excitement over multiple trailers, and also so that other developers don't get a head's start on what to copy!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Some of that sounds very plausible.

Not an undercover cop sent to catch her in particular, that wouldn't make sense. Possibly investigating some major criminal element she's involved with.

And like with GTA5 there will be split endings probably based around whether he betrays her at the end or not. Or whether he confesses and she kills him.
It does sound plausible – and of course every single detail in the trailer will have been put there for a reason – R* know that people will go over these with a fine tooth comb!

Rojofiam

I know what you mean by that, it comes across as a bit GTA by numbers with some deliberately over the top characters and stereotypes. It looks beautiful but didn't really hit for me.

I'm still confident in Rockstar though and the world is obviously very well built so I think the game could still be top class.
I agree, and don't get me wrong: I've always loved Rockstar's humor and how they make fun of America and their society, it's just that I hope it won't be the main theme of this game.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@teambrianGB (no longer on here apparently) had the idea of a GTA set in Hong Kong/Shenzhen, where you get 6 stars for littering on one side of the border, and it's no laws on the other side. I thought it was a great idea.

nimic

something nice
Scout
@teambrianGB (no longer on here apparently) had the idea of a GTA set in Hong Kong/Shenzhen, where you get 6 stars for littering on one side of the border, and it's no laws on the other side. I thought it was a great idea.
There already is a GTA set in Hong Kong: Sleeping Dogs. Great game.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Since Elon said he can't play GTA because he can't get himself to commit virtual crimes I had an epiphany and can no longer play this either. From here on out I will be free of negative actions and thought like Lord Musk.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Damn that looks great. The shot of the Keys was just :drool:

If the density of those crowds is legit and not just for cinematic purposes then it's gonna be a cracking game.
I think most of the shots are probably snippets from cutscenes for quests etc.

The shot from 12 seconds where it pans up over the ocean to the beach looks to me like an opening cutscene or even an opening to the actual game when you first start. Far too staged and perfect, it looks like a Sim City game. I say that as a compliment.

In fact the one shot that I thought looked a bit underwhelming was the Tokyo drift slide late on, that certainly looks in game and looks actually pretty blood empty, granted its clearly a remote location but no moving cars or people. Doesn't have the same gloss as the rest of the trailer.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
did they show what happens when you boof prossies in your car? the motion used to get me started but moving the camera around to the front of the car, and seeing them just sitting there motionless, really knocked me out of my stride.