g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I’d be over the moon if City went after Kane and we were able to capture Grealish.
What I don’t want is City to get Kane and Grealish to stay at villa for another season only to allow city to come back in for him next summer
Just throw a Master Ball at him, problem solved.

croadyman

I still have a sneaky feeling we’ll do a “Berba” and kidnap Grealish at the last moment and make him sign for us. Pep is a persuasive enticement, sure, but I think Grealish is a closet Utd fan.
Nah think we are romeo done on this one after the euros and it's easily the most gutted I have felt over their signing since Aguero

croadyman

I’d be over the moon if City went after Kane and we were able to capture Grealish.
What I don’t want is City to get Kane and Grealish to stay at villa for another season only to allow city to come back in for him next summer
The problem is we haven't got a gap in the team where he plays his best football at 10 or on the LW, will have to bite the bullet on this one hard as that is to accept and just hope that talk of a DM picks up when we sell a couple of players

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The problem is we haven't got a gap in the team where he plays his best football at 10 or on the LW, will have to bite the bullet on this one hard as that is to accept and just hope that talk of a DM picks up when we sell a couple of players
Neither do City

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For all the talks of him being an excellent player+a game changer and how we're fecked if we're not getting him, I can't help but to think of Pogba. How are we so sure that he's going to be a success at United when our very own Pogba is the real definition of an excellent player+a game changer and yet he hasn't really been that player for us, well most of the time at least. He's also below Bruno when it comes into AM position, the thing is we didn't seem to know what to do with Pogba and we have always struggled to fit in an Attacking Midfielder - Mata, Mkhi, Kagawa. The fact that Bruno is here and has made a huge impact to the team is already a miracle in itself, a player couldn't be more ManUnited than that.

So that's the AM position sorted. What we need now is a winger, that's the first priority. Spending 100m on Grealish would be a stupid move when we also need a DM and a CB. No more midfielders turned into wingers or wingers turned into CF just because "they can play there". Feck it let's have a complete and proper team for once. Maybe when the team has a proper balance with actual players playing in their actual positions we'd make a great progress? how surprising that we have never done it. Even when Jose was here and spent lots of money, we had wingers as fullbacks. We should have enough of it by now. No more clueless spending for redundant positions that blow up our transfer kitty.

Last edited:

Cloud7

I don't think Grealish elevates them that much further than they already are.
He doesn't. He just becomes another cog in the machine, probably on par with what Mahrez does for them now. Any other team in the league he would elevate though.

bosskeano

I'd still go after him if possible and play him next to Bruno or in games where we play a double pivot, he would play on the left wing and rashford or greenwood could move to the 9. We probably won't get Haaland next summer so we really shouldn't pass up the chance to get Grealish this summer if it's possible

hobbers

Impossible to comprehend if we offer Pogba 400k a week while leaving City free to sign Grealish.

Would be sickeningly amateurish from everyone with a say in transfers and player contracts and squad building.

Commentary

Ole wanted Grealish and he ended up with Van De Beek because the Glazer's are cheap! He's going to be a City player now!

As they say, Green and Gold until the club is sold!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Impossible to comprehend if we offer Pogba 400k a week while leaving City free to sign Grealish.

Would be sickeningly amateurish from everyone with a say in transfers and player contracts and squad building.
There is nothing to do if Grealish doesn't wanna sign for Utd. Why is it always considered that all the players wanna join us and if we don't sign, it's because of incompetence ?

hobbers

There is nothing to do if Grealish doesn't wanna sign for Utd. Why is it always considered that all the players wanna join us and if we don't sign, it's because of incompetence ?
We're not putting our hat in the ring and will instead be dancing to Raiola's tune as per usual.

Grealish will jump at the chance of joining either club. His preference isn't the issue the issue is we bend over backwards to reward players who down tools for us, Pogba, De Gea and Martial to name but 3, at the expense of the chance to sign players like Grealish.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We're not putting our hat in the ring and will instead be dancing to Raiola's tune as per usual.

Grealish will jump at the chance of joining either club. His preference isn't the issue the issue is we bend over backwards to reward players who down tools for us, Pogba, De Gea and Martial to name but 3, at the expense of the chance to sign players like Grealish.
That's assuming you know exactly what Grealish wants which is impossible to know for sure.

roseguy64

I've yet to be told this but how does signing Grealish to play CM instead of Pogba help us if we sell Pogba?

Hughie77

Dont think anyone will buy him, why do Villa have to sell? Hes happy at Villa, hes now in the England Squad, owners are minted, even more they didn't get relegated season before last.
£120 plus million for him if I was selling.

hungrywing

It'd definitely not look very smart in the eyes of opposition executives.

Le Red

Dont think anyone will buy him, why do Villa have to sell? Hes happy at Villa, hes now in the England Squad, owners are minted, even more they didn't get relegated season before last.
£120 plus million for him if I was selling.
That's how it goes, big fish eat small fish, figures have changed but overall the reality remains the same.
Jack Grealish is bound to play for a top 5 club in the world, and sadly it won't be us, because even when a world class player says he always wanted to play at OT we're still unable to sign him.
What a joke.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...lish-gives-man-utd-/kemsx26aoyxk1ejp4wtvwelws

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
City won't get Kane and Grealish.
They're loaded, but they're not poking out 200m on 2 players.

We won't even look at Grealish either after a 75m or so outlay on Sancho!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
City won't get Kane and Grealish.
They're loaded, but they're not poking out 200m on 2 players.

We won't even look at Grealish either after a 75m or so outlay on Sancho!
they wouldnt even get both for 200m

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So Grealish to Liverpool is what you're saying :nervous: ?
Liverpool simply don't have that sort of money without selling.
And as dozy Barcelona aren't around this time to put in absolutely ludicrous money for an overrated Liverpool player, even less chance.

Woziak

It’s hard not to love Jack Grealish, he’s an elite level talent at 25 but is he really world class?
Can he score and assist 20-25 goals in the premier league and 7-10 in the champions league, he’s an inverted striker who can play as number 10 or even a number 8 and you have to admire how he always demands the ball and his bravery, however and this is something many of us have forgot, poor Jack got mixed up in some poor decisions off field during Covid while driving a car under the influence plus there many other stories in his short career so Jacks while being a true maverick is no model pro like Marcus Rashford or Juan Mata but he’s a rare talent indeed, maybe even the best since Gascoigne but for all Gascoigne brilliance and sheer bravado would he have put up number like 20/30 goals and assists in any season in the modern game? I’m not so sure !

We know George Best would and could and what would he be worth in today’s game, 200 millions pounds maybe more, and for the record, George would still go out and party in the bright lights of Manchester on a Friday night and then be the best player on the pitch come Saturday afternoon next day.

Pep loves a player that demands the ball like Jack but he also expects impeccable behaviour off the pitch and far higher numbers with goals and assists from a £100 million pound attacking player

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s hard not to love Jack Grealish, he’s an elite level talent at 25 but is he really world class?
Can he score and assist 20-25 goals in the premier league and 7-10 in the champions league, he’s an inverted striker who can play as number 10 or even a number 8 and you have to admire how he always demands the ball and his bravery, however and this is something many of us have forgot, poor Jack got mixed up in some poor decisions off field during Covid while driving a car under the influence plus there many other stories in his short career so Jacks while being a true maverick is no model pro like Marcus Rashford or Juan Mata but he’s a rare talent indeed, maybe even the best since Gascoigne but for all Gascoigne brilliance and sheer bravado would he have put up number like 20/30 goals and assists in any season in the modern game? I’m not so sure !

We know George Best would and could and what would he be worth in today’s game, 200 millions pounds maybe more, and for the record, George would still go out and party in the bright lights of Manchester on a Friday night and then be the best player on the pitch come Saturday afternoon next day.

Pep loves a player that demands the ball like Jack but he also expects impeccable behaviour off the pitch and far higher numbers with goals and assists from a £100 million pound attacking player
He did have 16 goal involvements in 27 appearances for 11th place Villa. I'm sure when he's playing at the highest level, he'd hit 20-25 no problem. Hell, I'd lump a few on him doing it next season for starters.

Ladron de redcafe

He did have 16 goal involvements in 27 appearances for 11th place Villa. I'm sure when he's playing at the highest level, he'd hit 20-25 no problem. Hell, I'd lump a few on him doing it next season for starters.
The only issue I have with extrapolating numbers that way is that we also have to keep in mind that he'd have to change the way he plays to fit City's style. He wouldn't continue to be the central focal point in building attacks, either.

I'm not sure it's ever as easy as it sounds.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
The only issue I have with extrapolating numbers that way is that we also have to keep in mind that he'd have to change the way he plays to fit City's style. He wouldn't continue to be the central focal point in building attacks, either.

I thought so too until he was improving his output season on season as Villa put better players around him to share the load. He's a chance creation machine, we've seen it at England as well. He can't help himself. No matter how few touches of the ball he gets, he'll make something happen.

Ladron de redcafe

I thought so too until he was improving his output season on season as Villa put better players around him to share the load. He's a chance creation machine, we've seen it at England as well. He can't help himself. No matter how few touches of the ball he gets, he'll make something happen.
It remains to be seen, but he's clearly special, as you pointed out. I hope Villa don't budge easily. If City do want a difference-maker like him, they really should fork out a hefty asking price.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
It remains to be seen, but he's clearly special, as you pointed out. I hope Villa don't budge easily. If City do want a difference-maker like him, they really should fork out a hefty asking price.
Honestly the one thing that gives me comfort in all this are the fees being quoted. 80m, 100m etc, they're all way too low. There's no way we'd sell for that much. Maybe a year ago, but certainly not now.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

I don't understand this thing. Actually for attackers playing for low teams it's far easier. They get space and time to do their things. If you dribble one defender you can find full of space to attack. But playing for better teams you don't get space to attack. You have to overcome full of bodies with very little space to work on.

Many attackers will struggle because of this. Lukaku,ings,lingard they all struggled when they played in bigger clubs. Grealish may not struggle to find space but it's not sure thing.

I will want to buy midfielders from low table teams if they are performed well for their teams. They will be elevated to further level with better players around them but not attackers or defenders. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Woziak

I genuinely think he’s brilliant but can’t see him ever playing 50-60 games like De BRUYNE or Bruno because he will be fouled so much in a team like City plus Pep will rotate him but he’s definitely the real deal providing, and this is a huge ask he can keep himself out of Deansgate and Manchester City centre, he’s a frequent visitor to broad street in Birmingham as it is, just saying you can have all the talent in the world but if you don’t have the mental fortitude and discipline you will never maximise your talent!
Listen, I share the same fear for Grealish as I do for Greenwood and Fodden, hyper talented young English superstars who both have their world at their feet but genuine world class stars deliver year in year out and at big international and European competitions, some of us mock Ronaldo for being a selfish conceited megalomaniac but the guy at 36 just goes and scores 5 goals in an average Portuguese team in another major tournament.
I do think if there is any coach that can take Jack onto an even higher level then Peps the man, but didn’t we say the same about sterling and now at just 26 he’s expendable. Jadon Sancho had similar talent to Grealish but Pep didn’t try to keep him and Phil Fodden is currently the golden boy like John Stones was a few years back , providing every game he plays each week is close to perfect!
Some people thought Jack Rodwell would be the next coming at City but I remember him moving into my block of appartments in Deansgate no 1 and you knew the first time you met him, that kid had more interest in lifestyle and money not playing football !

passing-wind

I've yet to be told this but how does signing Grealish to play CM instead of Pogba help us if we sell Pogba?
It's clear the underlying ambition from those who push out this narrative is that Grealish would replace Rashford. Grealish in central midfield could work under a manager who can implement a sophisticated approach tactically, but there's no chance under Ole with a double pivot midfield.

Pogba should only be replaced with an established central midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.