Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

marktan

Sancho 5 years younger and has been far more productive. All he did when he come on was go down the left and put in a cross for the goal. De Bruyne plays nothing like him and can strike the ball both footed, cross from deep and has the best weight of pass for through balls
Grealish has all of those qualities, he can cross from deep excellently too as he has done for Villa. On top of that his dribbling is of a higher calibre (in my opinion from watching both) than Sancho's. Sancho is younger yes, but the the stats comparisons are meaningless without adding in the background of the leagues, the teams they play in, the goals the team scores in total etc. I did the comparison a short while back and while Sancho score more, they score almost the exact % of their team goals, as Dortmund score far more than Villa do. Assists wise again you need to take into account the background information.

Stacks

Sancho is doing it in a tinpot league. We've just witnessed first hand that German football isn't exactly booming. They were dreadful.

Grealish is ahead of Sancho in the England set up for a reason.
Because he is better but also we don't watch German league. When we signed Pogba he was playing in Serie A but everyone wanted him....Would you not take Coman? Sane came from there as did Gundogan
I can't tell if this is sarcasm, it's hard to tell through text, but he created 2 chances in his limited time, one of which was an assist. Also put it on a plate for Shaw for the first goal.

Grealish's main strength is his weight of pass for through balls, it's up there with the best in football and dare I say De Bruyne himself. And speaking of striking the ball both footed, his assist was with his left foot. They're very similar in intent, if not playstyle 100%. Jack has said he watches a lot of De Bruyne and tries to model some of his game after him.
It was a fairly easy pass to Shaw who was 5 yards away and they had no obstacles. It was the easy option. He made 2 through balls according to the premier league opta stats for the whole of last season.......Bruno made 12 and De Bruyne made 13 so Jack must've really impressed you with his weight of pass for those 2 passes to compare him to KDB....

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Because he is better but also we don't watch German league. When we signed Pogba he was playing in Serie A but everyone wanted him....Would you not take Coman? Sane came from there as did Gundogan

It was a fairly easy pass to Shaw who was 5 yards away and they had no obstacles. It was the easy option. He made 2 through balls according to the premier league opta stats for the whole of last season.......Bruno made 12 and De Bruyne made 13 so Jack must've really impressed you with his weight of pass for those 2 passes to compare him to KDB....
It seemed easy enough, but evidently not so considering England, and Sterling in particular failed to make those seemingly easy "passes before the assist" all game. Also it isn't just the weight that's impressive, it's the timing. He did a little shimmy to his right for a second to wait for Shaw to be in prime position. It's the little intangibles like that which aren't exactly captured by stats that make him so valuable. Just like De Bruyne, their execution is excellent yes, but it's their decision making that separates them as elite.

Wing Attack Plan R

Grealish and Bruno playing together would be filthy. We could certainly do with a second leader in the team. Buy Grealish and signal we are back in for a title challenge; let him go to City and indicate we are content as also-rans for the foreseeable future.

jesperjaap

I hope he signs a new contract at Villa. Brilliant player we should have signed last summer, dont see how we do sign him and Sancho this summer, simply cant afford to unless we sign nobody else which would be madness.

I have always rated him but never thought he would be AS good as he has in the premiership, woul dhate to see him in a City shirt though, hate it

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s off to City please don’t cause yourselves unnecessary pain. Concentrate on our actual muppet targets.
Honestly, everyone’s going about the Grealish Shaw link-up, just wait until they see Shaw + Sancho! Shaw is the perfect foil because he's basically the best LB living, and Sancho can do everything Grealish can — maybe he dribbles a little less successfully but he scores far more.

marktan

Honestly, everyone’s going about the Grealish Shaw link-up, just wait until they see Shaw + Sancho! Shaw is the perfect foil because he's basically the best LB living, and Sancho can do everything Grealish can — maybe he dribbles a little less successfully but he scores far more.
Well he's not going to even play on the same side of the pitch as Shaw.

And he doesn't score more, he scores about exactly the same % of his teams goals in the league that Grealish does.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well he's not going to even play on the same side of the pitch as Shaw.

And he doesn't score more, he scores about exactly the same % of his teams goals in the league that Grealish does.
He’ll end up down the left plenty, I have little doubt of that.

He’s outscored Grealish in every season for the past 3 years. Grealish has never scored more than Sancho has in a single season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If only the goal line technology didn't have a mare eh :(

marktan

He’ll end up down the left plenty, I have little doubt of that.

He’s outscored Grealish in every season for the past 3 years. Grealish has never scored more than Sancho has in a single season.
I agree he probably will. Which to my mind means I'd rather have Grealish on the left.

The goals statistics doesn't take into account the teams and leagues they play in. Grealish scored 8 goals for Villa in 19/20 in the premier league, out of a total of 41 goals the whole team scored in 38 matches. That's 19% of all the goals. Sancho scored 17 goals out of 84 goals scored by Dortmund in 19/20, for a total of 20% of all goals.
In 20/21, Sancho scored 8/75 goals in the league, for a total of 10% of the team goals. Grealish scored 6 out of 55 league goals for Villa, coming to a 10% total. So the point about one being the better goal scorer is not really true just because one has scored more goals, when you look at the team statistics and the type of goals scored.

choccy77

I hope he signs a new contract at Villa. Brilliant player we should have signed last summer, dont see how we do sign him and Sancho this summer, simply cant afford to unless we sign nobody else which would be madness.

I have always rated him but never thought he would be AS good as he has in the premiership, woul dhate to see him in a City shirt though, hate it
Tony & Jesse to Villa in swap plus little cash

Lee565

That chemistry between him and shaw, both combined with each other to help set up both goals.

Sorry but why would we snub a player like grealish in favour of rashford on the left wing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That chemistry between him and shaw, both combined with each other to help set up both goals.

Sorry but why would we snub a player like grealish in favour of rashford on the left wing.
Because no football club can just have all the good players and you need a balance. Rashford is a very good player in his own right, an inside forward, and is homegrown and an inspiration to millions. We're buying Sancho who is an elite level attacking player. We have Greenwood coming through. We have Bruno Fernandes. We still have Pogba. We already can't fit in all these players.

Mcking

Best player in the Premier League since Eden Hazard. He is the perfect playmaker. Difficult to see even the slightest flaw in his game.

There was a lot of noise about Ole wanting both Sancho and Grealish. The club delivered neither.
There is noise every Summer about a right load of shite.
Sancho was non-stop and Dortmund were making statements left right and centre so you know it was true.
Grealish sadly appeared to be like most of the tabloid bollox we get every Summer and the lack of links again this season also back up that we annoyingly have never seen him as a top target.

bosnian_red

I agree he probably will. Which to my mind means I'd rather have Grealish on the left.

The goals statistics doesn't take into account the teams and leagues they play in. Grealish scored 8 goals for Villa in 19/20 in the premier league, out of a total of 41 goals the whole team scored in 38 matches. That's 19% of all the goals. Sancho scored 17 goals out of 84 goals scored by Dortmund in 19/20, for a total of 20% of all goals.
In 20/21, Sancho scored 8/75 goals in the league, for a total of 10% of the team goals. Grealish scored 6 out of 55 league goals for Villa, coming to a 10% total. So the point about one being the better goal scorer is not really true just because one has scored more goals, when you look at the team statistics and the type of goals scored.
% of a teams goals scored doesn't really work in football IMO. And besides. Grealish is 25. Throughout his career in the championship and the premier league, he's never shown to be a goalscorer. He has 37 goals in 252 games in his career. Sancho has 50 in 140. No amount of data manipulation will make Grealish a better scorer, he just straight up is not more of a goal threat as that's not his game. Grealish is a pure playmaker and will almost always look for the pass. Which is fine. Sancho naturally has a lot more goals to his game while also being a playmaker, just having more of a goalscoring balance.

BarstoolProphet

There is noise every Summer about a right load of shite.
Sancho was non-stop and Dortmund were making statements left right and centre so you know it was true.
Grealish sadly appeared to be like most of the tabloid bollox we get every Summer and the lack of links again this season also back up that we annoyingly have never seen him as a top target.
We were strongly linked from January up until the drink driving incident. It was reported that we cooled our interest because of that. Such a shame, the best player in the league and perhaps the most entertaining one to watch also.

bosnian_red

Best player in the Premier League since Eden Hazard. He is the perfect playmaker. Difficult to see even the slightest flaw in his game.
fecking hell no he isn't :lol: De Bruyne is the best midfielder in world football. Salah is a world class inside forward. Both at their best are probably better than Hazard ever was in the prem too. Grealish has loads of players to surpass before he is considered the best player in the league. He's brilliant of course, but ffs calm down, let him prove it before we all say he is the best around. These days you just have to control the ball nicely once and people crown you over players who have dominated European football for years.

In terms of flaws, well he does pretty much nothing defensively, and offers very little in terms of goal threat himself. Very good passer and dribbler of the ball of course, but he's not Hazard level as a dribbler and he's not Scholes level as a passer... so again... just stop. He's not perfect. He's very good. Just keep it at that.

bosskeano

looks like we'll be waiting unless another week before something happens with Grealish as well

marktan

% of a teams goals scored doesn't really work in football IMO. And besides. Grealish is 25. Throughout his career in the championship and the premier league, he's never shown to be a goalscorer. He has 37 goals in 252 games in his career. Sancho has 50 in 140. No amount of data manipulation will make Grealish a better scorer, he just straight up is not more of a goal threat as that's not his game. Grealish is a pure playmaker and will almost always look for the pass. Which is fine. Sancho naturally has a lot more goals to his game while also being a playmaker, just having more of a goalscoring balance.
It does because the basic point is he scores the same amount of goals as someone else relative to the total goals. Meaning the other team very likely creates more chances, is more attacking, thus leading to more goals. If you substitute one for the other you're likely to have the same compress and depress in goal numbers. Grealish is a playmaker but he has an excellent shot and finish on him, alongside movement to beat a man, there's no reason why he can't score more. It's just at Villa he tends to play as a midfield hybrid meaning he's the one often looking to assist as they few other creators. I'm almost certain that with them signing Buendia he'll easily get double digits next season for Villa.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Grealish KDB and Foden in same Pep led team is going to be insanely good. And that's not forgetting Sterling too who seems to have found his mojo again.

City will win it again. Can't see anyone getting near them.

DarkXaero

It sucks that Villa doing the improbable and avoiding relegation in 19-20 season probably ruined this move for us. If Villa get relegated then, Grealish probably ends up a United player. Now we're watching him play at a very high level, and go to Man City instead...

bosnian_red

It does because the basic point is he scores the same amount of goals as someone else relative to the total goals. Meaning the other team very likely creates more chances, is more attacking, thus leading to more goals. If you substitute one for the other you're likely to have the same compress and depress in goal numbers. Grealish is a playmaker but he has an excellent shot and finish on him, alongside movement to beat a man, there's no reason why he can't score more. It's just at Villa he tends to play as a midfield hybrid meaning he's the one often looking to assist as they few other creators. I'm almost certain that with them signing Buendia he'll easily get double digits next season for Villa.
Ok so by that logic:
Heung min Son 25% of Spurs' league goals.
Bruno has 25% of our league goals this season
Salah with 22% of Liverpools league goals last season
Bruno and Son are better goalscorers than Salah? Come on...

Werner at Leipzig got 35% of all goals in his last season, more than Lewandowski (34%) that season for Bayern, same as Messi for Barcelona this season.

There's a lot more that goes into it, like team styles. Dortmund plays a style which funnels chances to their #9 (Haaland). Sancho had his worst goalscoring season in the league this season as a result. The sample size is just way too small to use something like market share percentages IMO, and it generally doesn't work in football as if someone was a decent goalscorer, they tend to funnel a larger % of them at smaller clubs and reduce when they get to bigger clubs where the goals get split more (generally).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There was a lot of noise about Ole wanting both Sancho and Grealish. The club delivered neither.
And he wants Haaland, too. Maybe also Varane and Kante. How about Messi, Goretzka, and Kimmich for squad depth?

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Because no football club can just have all the good players and you need a balance. Rashford is a very good player in his own right, an inside forward, and is homegrown and an inspiration to millions. We're buying Sancho who is an elite level attacking player. We have Greenwood coming through. We have Bruno Fernandes. We still have Pogba. We already can't fit in all these players.
I agree with this, not because you're advocating against Grealish moving to United (though that's nice too haha) but because I'm not a fan of the mentality of teams just hoarding good players, particularly when they don't exactly need them. We're seeing it now with Villa fans too, now that our squad is filling out nicely. Sometimes, you don't really need to buy a player just to be a backup etc. Perhaps Donny VdB fits that description for you guys. For us right now it looks like we're linked to Tammy Abraham for 40m. There's no space for him as a starting CF, so why buy him?

bosnian_red

I agree with this, not because you're advocating against Grealish moving to United (though that's nice too haha) but because I'm not a fan of the mentality of teams just hoarding good players, particularly when they don't exactly need them. We're seeing it now with Villa fans too, now that our squad is filling out nicely. Sometimes, you don't really need to buy a player just to be a backup etc. Perhaps Donny VdB fits that description for you guys. For us right now it looks like we're linked to Tammy Abraham for 40m. There's no space for him as a starting CF, so why buy him?
Yep. You need squad depth of course, but there's certain types of players that are suited to being depth players. Grealish is a brilliant footballer and I was all for signing him in January 2020. We signed Bruno instead and Bruno has been fantastic, so Grealish turned into someone that makes no sense for us to ever sign. We have Rashford, we have Bruno. We need deeper mids, we need a CB, we need a right winger, we need a striker. Trying to upgrade the starting 11 and focusing on the positions where you have an 8/10 player or 9/10 player is kinda dumb when you have positions where you start 5/10 players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He met with Haaland and his dad so yeah I'd imagine he does.
Sorry for being sarcastic, mate. I'm just saying that every manager dreams of signing those players. But managers need to manage their expectation, instead of targeting players like those on every summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
100m simply feels too cheap especially if he plays increasingly influential part in England actually winning the euros.

Two assists from one and a half matches is pretty good so far.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We value him at 100m +. How many did Martial score again last year? :lol: (and he would never consider us in a million years).
This might come as a shock to you but Martial scored the same as Grealish :lol: add Lingard into the equation and you more than double his tally!

marktan

Ok so by that logic:
Heung min Son 25% of Spurs' league goals.
Bruno has 25% of our league goals this season
Salah with 22% of Liverpools league goals last season
Bruno and Son are better goalscorers than Salah? Come on...

Werner at Leipzig got 35% of all goals in his last season, more than Lewandowski (34%) that season for Bayern, same as Messi for Barcelona this season.

There's a lot more that goes into it, like team styles. Dortmund plays a style which funnels chances to their #9 (Haaland). Sancho had his worst goalscoring season in the league this season as a result. The sample size is just way too small to use something like market share percentages IMO, and it generally doesn't work in football as if someone was a decent goalscorer, they tend to funnel a larger % of them at smaller clubs and reduce when they get to bigger clubs where the goals get split more (generally).
That Bruno, Son, and Salah comparison is such a weird one. Does it take into account how many penalties each scored, especially Bruno? The average person would probably rate Son and Salah as similar level goal scorers, both being pacey, technical wide forwards, and Bruno behind them. The statistics will likely back that up.

I'm comparing goals a player has scored vs the total the team plays for has scored, to compare a player playing for a team that scores less vs one that scores a lot. You're instead for some reason trying to compare Werner, Lewandowski and Messi which has no relevance to the comparison I'm making.

The simple question to ask really is would Grealish score the same amount of goals as Sancho did, if he played for Dortmund? The answer is yes, especially if you watch the quality of the goals Sancho scored this season in the league. I mean come on, they score almost double the goals in the league Villa do, and that's in 4 less games. It's not a surprise that one scores more than the other.

I get the feeling though no matter what I say you'll just come back with some other obscure point, your mind is set on Sancho, fair enough. But there's a reason why Grealish is preferred to Sancho in the England set up, Sancho's played 20 games and in how many of them has he done anything? Whereas Grealish has played 10 times and been pretty much the best player every time he's played. There's a lot of statistical noise with teams and different leagues but the England setup is the closest we can come to compare the two players on an even playing field.

bosnian_red

That Bruno, Son, and Salah comparison is such a weird one. Does it take into account how many penalties each scored, especially Bruno? The average person would probably rate Son and Salah as similar level goal scorers, both being pacey, technical wide forwards, and Bruno behind them. The statistics will likely back that up.

I'm comparing goals a player has scored vs the total the team plays for has scored, to compare a player playing for a team that scores less vs one that scores a lot. You're instead for some reason trying to compare Werner, Lewandowski and Messi which has no relevance to the comparison I'm making.

The simple question to ask really is would Grealish score the same amount of goals as Sancho did, if he played for Dortmund? The answer is yes, especially if you watch the quality of the goals Sancho scored this season in the league. I mean come on, they score almost double the goals in the league Villa do, and that's in 4 less games. It's not a surprise that one scores more than the other.

I get the feeling though no matter what I say you'll just come back with some other obscure point, your mind is set on Sancho, fair enough. But there's a reason why Grealish is preferred to Sancho in the England set up, Sancho's played 20 games and in how many of them has he done anything? Whereas Grealish has played 10 times and been pretty much the best player every time he's played. There's a lot of statistical noise with teams and different leagues but the England setup is the closest we can come to compare the two players on an even playing field.
I know the comparison you're making. I'm saying it just doesn't work in football, especially when dealing with a small sample size. I brought up Werner, Lewandowski and Messi because Werner scored a higher percentage of his teams goals than Lewandowski did in 19/20 for Leipzig. And besides, if you are doing a market share % (which people use for American football a lot - with more relevance), you have to do it with a percentage of minutes played. Both Grealish and Sancho missed gametime this season, a significant amount of it, but I have no idea nor do I feel like putting in the effort of finding what percentage of goals he scored compared to the amount of team goals that were scored while he was on the pitch.

And the answer is no! Grealish isn't a goalscorer, he never has been. He wasn't wasn't Villa played in the championship and he hasn't been in the premier league. What if a team scores 20 goals all season and they have a player score 5 goals? 25% market share. Are they some excellent goalscorer that you can extrapolate out to 20 goals a season if a better team scored 80? Of course not. What are you going on about the quality of goals Sancho scores? Sancho gets in goalscoring positions more often than Grealish does. Grealish rarely gets into goalscoring positions, and he doesn't score many goals. Extrapolating someone's goal totals who scores <10 goals in all competitions every season to someone who is in the 15-20 goal mark in all competitions every season just because a team scores more goals is frankly nonsense and not how football works.

Sancho vs Grealish for England... well Sancho has played more minutes for England anyway, despite being 5 years younger. Sancho actually has a better goal/assist to minute ratio than any of Sterling, Rashford, Grealish, Foden or Saka (stat was before today's game but it would still apply). Sancho, Grealish and Rashford are all on the bench because Southgate wants wingers who are good defensively. Sancho, Grealish and Rashford are all wank at that. Southgate also doesn't rate the Bundesliga, and clearly doesn't rate lower premier league clubs otherwise Grealish would have more minutes as well.

Anyway, Grealish is a terrific footballer in his own right. I prefer Sancho due to being 5 years younger and being equally adept on either wing, while Grealish can only play on the left or as a 10, which are arguably the 2 positions we need less than any. My argument is that Sancho is just a much better goalscorer, as he has a good chunk more goals in his career in more than 100 fewer career games, despite Grealish playing the majority of his games in a much easier league and being 5 years older than the one Sancho has torn up since 18. Sancho takes better shots per game and just gets in more goalscoring chances per game. They're both playmakers - but Sancho has goals to his game and it's something that Grealish just doesn't get all that involved in. Their per 90 stats with dribbling and passing and touches in the box are all similar, just their xG and shot selection are markedly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.