Television Great British Bake Off | 11th March: Matt Lucas announced as new host

lsd

The Oracle
Hermine's flower in her jelly cake was properly impressive.

They were all pretty impressive in the last task bar Mark obviously but they were all terrible in the other tasks. It really has been the worst standard i have ever seen in bake off

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It seems as though anyone who's unaware of what a pond pudding is would be unable to make a pond pudding.

Some of those jellies were fantastic.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It seems as though anyone who's unaware of what a pond pudding is would be unable to make a pond pudding.

Some of those jellies were fantastic.
Tbf, that was a pretty obscure pudding. The horrific calorie and sugar content would put most off, let alone the full lemon inside it weirdness.

The jelly designs were phenomenal though, particularly Hermine's. That serial killer bloke is going to win though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm still fascinated how none of them knew how to cook a pudding, and crazy eyes not knowing how to pleat a bit of foil?

The standard is absolutely woeful this year :lol:

I want Hermine to win, she seems to get the point of flavours without ruining them by trying to go all Heston.

Acole9

Outstanding
The standard has dropped quite a bit this year but they're a good bunch of contestants. I thought Peter was nailed on to win before last night's episode, now I have no idea.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm still fascinated how none of them knew how to cook a pudding, and crazy eyes not knowing how to pleat a bit of foil?

The standard is absolutely woeful this year :lol:

I want Hermine to win, she seems to get the point of flavours without ruining them by trying to go all Heston.
Hermine is clearly the best of a relatively poor bunch. I don't get how none of them knew how to do the pudding, the exact same cooking method as a Christmas Pudding and surely they've made their own Christmas Puddings?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hermine is clearly the best of a relatively poor bunch. I don't get how none of them knew how to do the pudding, the exact same cooking method as a Christmas Pudding and surely they've made their own Christmas Puddings?
To be fair it was that weird suet pastry, which I think they all said they haven't used before.

The whole thing was weird though.. Who the feck wants a full lemon in a pie!?

Redlambs

To be fair it was that weird suet pastry, which I think they all said they haven't used before.

Still doesn't matter, the pudding cooks the same. Nothing weird about using suet in puddings either, it makes far far better syrup/treacle sponges for example.

But there's lots of basic things they've all failed on over the series.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Suet is just a fat replacement for pastry. Instead of using butter, you use suet instead. Now given that they get the ingredients but not the recipe, doesn't take a rocket scientest to realise that suet is the fat replacement given they had no butter/margarine. Then it's just a case of slowly adding water in to turn it into a dough, which is the same skillset you use for all pastry.

It's actually a really nice pudding, the lemon when cooked properly tears apart like a slow cooked piece of meat. The idea being that the lemon gives the zest, while the sauce provides the sweetness. I had more of an issue that they clearly didn't give them enough time as they all seemed to struggle not cooking them for long enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Suet is just a fat replacement for pastry. Instead of using butter, you use suet instead. Now given that they get the ingredients but not the recipe, doesn't take a rocket scientest to realise that suet is the fat replacement given they had no butter/margarine. Then it's just a case of slowly adding water in to turn it into a dough, which is the same skillset you use for all pastry.

It's actually a really nice pudding, the lemon when cooked properly tears apart like a slow cooked piece of meat. The idea being that the lemon gives the zest, while the sauce provides the sweetness. I had more of an issue that they clearly didn't give them enough time as they all seemed to struggle not cooking them for long enough.
Yeah that did seem weird, some of them cooked it for a full hour so how much time did it actually need?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah that did seem weird, some of them cooked it for a full hour so how much time did it actually need?
More than that! Prue (who is 80 years old wtf??) has a recipe and it states 2 hours baking time. But i'm pretty sure the challenge was 4 hours right? So they had ample time to cook it to be fair. Most of the other recipes I checked had it cooking for 3 hours minimum.

Redlambs

Bare minimum for something like that would be at least 2hrs (Prue said 1.30 but not with a whole lemon in it, not to get it to the desired effect) but you could double that without overcooking.

As Sky says, it's the same as any pudding, they all should have known that. Suet is the fat (albeit a much nicer texture than butter). Then the pleat thing on the top, even my gf guessed what it was for and she honestly can just about fry a bloody egg :lol:

Duafc

Village Lemon
I mean they also pretty much all fecked up a baked cheesecake.

Brownie episode also sticks out as being pretty embarrassing.

bsCallout

Can someone give me an example or a similar pudding to the one that used Suet but with fat instead of Suet?

I'm not convinced that should be in any way easy if you aren't used to making that sort of pudding, steaming it and putting a whole lemon in it that needs to be soft.

Redlambs

Can someone give me an example or a similar pudding to the one that used Suet but with fat instead of Suet?

I'm not convinced that should be in any way easy if you aren't used to making that sort of pudding, steaming it and putting a whole lemon in it that needs to be soft.
Google literally any pudding. It's all almost exactly the same.

Don't let the whole fruit trick you, it's really not any different to any other filling in terms of how they all cook the same way, that's the beauty of them and why it's such an old staple.

Duafc

Village Lemon
They just all underbaked it, the sauce stays thin, the lemon heavy and the pastry weak and wet!

I especially liked psycho Dave putting his in last and removing it first.

lsd

The Oracle
The standard has dropped quite a bit this year but they're a good bunch of contestants. I thought Peter was nailed on to win before last night's episode, now I have no idea.

Yeah i think he had a week just. I do think there should be a points system throughout the series as all too often you lose someone just because of one bad week when they are clearly better than some of the contestants who stay. I remember last year one of the contestants won star baker pretty much every week then had a nightmare in the final episode and lost.

On a side note someone told me Peter used to be a woman :eek:

bsCallout

Google literally any pudding. It's all almost exactly the same.

Don't let the whole fruit trick you, it's really not any different to any other filling in terms of how they all cook the same way, that's the beauty of them and why it's such an old staple.
Any pudding i'm finding is dense and typically doesn't have a separate filling to the outside. Can't find one remotely similar.

I'm not the most clued up baker but it does seem people are making it sound easier than it is.

Redlambs

Any pudding i'm finding is dense and typically doesn't have a separate filling to the outside. Can't find one remotely similar.

I'm not the most clued up baker but it does seem people are making it sound easier than it is.
Literally the first result.

If not, I dunno, try looking at a steak and kidney pudding recipe? Or any of the hundreds of fillings you can do? I don't know what you want me to say, it's really not as hard as you seem to want it to be. Again, simply putting a whole fruit in the middle isn't some complex idea never been done before that somehow changes anything.

I mean, as pointed out above, they couldn't even do brownies ffs! :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Hermine is pretty good but yeah the rest do seem a standard below the previous years. Still i suppose it was probably difficult to get people willing to isolate for seven weeks for the show.

I think the brownie stuff is harsh, they were given a pretty tough time limit as I recall, they probably would've been fine with a bit of extra time to bake, but it still doesn't look great on them, considering I can make an amazing brownie in an hour and my baking is shit!

Also Lottie going over Laura last week was bizarre. Felt like she was hard done by, plus.. she was lovely!

bsCallout

Literally the first result.

If not, I dunno, try looking at a steak and kidney pudding recipe? Or any of the hundreds of fillings you can do? I don't know what you want me to say, it's really not as hard as you seem to want it to be. Again, simply putting a whole fruit in the middle isn't some complex idea never been done before that somehow changes anything.

I mean, as pointed out above, they couldn't even do brownies ffs! :lol:
Remember search results are based on your own history so my results would appear different. Plus Steak and Kidney Pudding? You mean pie?!

Putting a whole fruit inside does change the cooking time slightly if you want that whole fruit with skin to be soft. Very different to say chopped fruits which don't require much to be edible.

But you're probably right based on the recipe for the pond pudding being described as easy on their own website.:lol:

Redlambs

Remember search results are based on your own history so my results would appear different. Plus Steak and Kidney Pudding? You mean pie?!

Putting a whole fruit inside does change the cooking time slightly if you want that whole fruit with skin to be soft. Very different to say chopped fruits which don't require much to be edible.

But you're probably right based on the recipe for the pond pudding being described as easy on their own website.:lol:
:lol: No you dolt, I meant what I said! And as for the results, it matters more what you actually search for.

On the second point, no, it's about the pastry cooking not the filling. Again, ALL puddings are cooked the same way. And in fact the skin being on helps more to contain the heat and really cool the innards.

Lastly, they ARE easy. And even if you haven't made those specific things before, anyone who's ever done any kind of baking outside of the basics knows what suet is and what the bloody pleat is for!

Anyway mate, you should really try a steak pudding. They are far superior to pies ;)

bsCallout

I too was flabbergasted to discover that Prue is 80.

Zodiac Pete's accent does my head in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/steakandkidneypuddin_93128

You never been to a proper chippy??
Am I even British?

:lol: No you dolt, I meant what I said! And as for the results, it matters more what you actually search for.

On the second point, no, it's about the pastry cooking not the filling. Again, ALL puddings are cooked the same way. And in fact the skin being on helps more to contain the heat and really cool the innards.

Lastly, they ARE easy. And even if you haven't made those specific things before, anyone who's ever done any kind of baking outside of the basics knows what suet is and what the bloody pleat is for!

Anyway mate, you should really try a steak pudding. They are far superior to pies ;)
I searched English Puddings, British Puddings, Dessert Puddings, Puddings. Zilch.

How can they produce some great bakes then fail so badly on something so easy?

United Hobbit

I've really got into this lately, I felt for them in that searing heat as I hate the heat and it was bad enough being at home trying to do office work type stuff in it imagine trying to bake and craft the ingredients. That pond pudding looked disgusting i wouldn't want to eat it.

I have no idea how they have the patience to craft all those parts and spend so long doing it. Also wonder what they do with the cakes do they photograph them first? Then eat them?

It would pain me to spend that long crafting something and see it get chopped up!

hubbuh

Tbf, that was a pretty obscure pudding. The horrific calorie and sugar content would put most off, let alone the full lemon inside it weirdness.

The jelly designs were phenomenal though, particularly Hermine's. That serial killer bloke is going to win though.
I'm assuming the really weird shoulder shuffle thing he does has already been discussed? What the feck is that about!!

hubbuh

Not a fan of Matt Lucas either, Noel's humour is just about holding it down at the moment. That really over-the-top pronunciation of the pond pudding summed him up. Ugh, huge step down from Sandi.

Redlambs

I've really got into this lately, I felt for them in that searing heat as I hate the heat and it was bad enough being at home trying to do office work type stuff in it imagine trying to bake and craft the ingredients. That pond pudding looked disgusting i wouldn't want to eat it.

I have no idea how they have the patience to craft all those parts and spend so long doing it. Also wonder what they do with the cakes do they photograph them first? Then eat them?

It would pain me to spend that long crafting something and see it get chopped up!
I do theme cakes for friends and my boys birthdays, some I have moving parts and lights and all sorts of things built into them, and it really is about patience and there's something relaxing about doing it. One took me 2 whole weeks once and cost over £100 in ingredients alone (it was half a lego superhero city scene and half tangled, I couldn't get a cake base anywhere near big enough for it so I had to go to B&Q and buy a shelf :lol:)

Once they are done, I give them over and don't ever think twice about them getting cut up, they are cakes and supposed to be eaten!

Redlambs

Not a fan of Matt Lucas either, Noel's humour is just about holding it down at the moment. That really over-the-top pronunciation of the pond pudding summed him up. Ugh, huge step down from Sandi.
Yeah I don't particularly like him that much on this. He tries way too hard to be funny and is overbearing with it at times.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Matt Lucas is annoying, definitely a negative aspect of the show this year, I liked Noel and Sandy.

I actually used to find Noel annoying but I really like him now, perfect on this show and probably the celebrity I’d most like to go out for a few beers with.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Lucas has always tried too hard to be funny when himself but he’s still good on this.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
In fact this show is having a generally bad influence on my life right now, Mrs Volumiza loves it and is baking all the time now so we’ve got delicious biscuits and cakes and puddings all the time. A moment on the lips and all that ...

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
In fact this show is having a generally bad influence on my life right now, Mrs Volumiza loves it and is baking all the time now so we’ve got delicious biscuits and cakes and puddings all the time. A moment on the lips and all that ...
Can she make a pond pudding though?

I'm not having all this Matt Lucas bashing, I love him and Noel together. If you think back to their Shooting Stars and Boosh days it's mad they've ended up here. The lad's got some belly, too.

United Hobbit

I do theme cakes for friends and my boys birthdays, some I have moving parts and lights and all sorts of things built into them, and it really is about patience and there's something relaxing about doing it. One took me 2 whole weeks once and cost over £100 in ingredients alone (it was half a lego superhero city scene and half tangled, I couldn't get a cake base anywhere near big enough for it so I had to go to B&Q and buy a shelf :lol:)

Once they are done, I give them over and don't ever think twice about them getting cut up, they are cakes and supposed to be eaten!
Any photos of them they sound really impressive? Maybe you should go on Bake off!

stepic

definitely lost a bit of personality with mark and lottie leaving in subsequent weeks. dave leads the charge in the lack of personality stakes. ellen degeneres isn't too far behind. hermine seems the best, will support her from here on in.