Greatest players never to win a club trophy

Mindhunter

I was about to say Steven Gerrard but then realized that the title says "greatest players".

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Le Tissier? He is like Cantona for Southampton, minus all the trophies.
Probably Kane? But he still have many years ahead to win something for his club.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I was about to say Steven Gerrard but then realized that the title says "greatest players".
You mean the same guy who is the only player to score in an FA Cup final, Uefa Cup final, Champion's league final, and a League Cup final and winning in each one?

TheLord

^^
Nice one!

---
A good player never to win anything: Kane
A good player never to win the League: Gerrard

Bogga

Batistuta won almost nothing... for a player of his calibre it's quite astonishing

Coppa Italia once with Viola and Serie A once with Roma

forevrared

Gylfi Siggurdson has been a quality player for almost a decade and never won anything.

Jermain Defoe's 8th all-time in Premier League goals and only has a single League Cup to his name.

Tarrou

You mean the same guy who is the only player to score in an FA Cup final, Uefa Cup final, Champion's league final, and a League Cup final and winning in each one?
Okay, but apart from two FA cups, three League Cups, the Champions League, the Uefa Cup, and a Super Cup, what's Gerrard ever won, eh!?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah Reus is a good shout, the 2017 cup win spoiled his record. De Rossi at least also has the 2006 WC (although I dont think he played?), Reus tragically missed out in 2014 because of an injury.
De Rossi played in 3/7 games at the World Cup. He didn’t play in the other four because of a red card suspension after a vicious elbow to an opponent’s face.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Can we do a thread for the other way around? Terrible players who’ve won more than they should’ve. United must have a few from the Ferguson years.

Lovren just won the Premier League and Champions League within a 12 month period.

Red Stone

Batistuta won almost nothing... for a player of his calibre it's quite astonishing

Coppa Italia once with Viola and Serie A once with Roma
Totti won a league and two cups. Considering his talent and his longevity that's pretty pitiful.

forevrared

Can we do a thread for the other way around? Terrible players who’ve won more than they should’ve. United must have a few from the Ferguson years.

Lovren just won the Premier League and Champions League within a 12 month period.
David May, superstar, got more medals than Shearer!

Mindhunter

No I was talking about the guy who said “we can’t let this slip” and then he fecking slipped.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale

Kingsley Coman, Benjamin Mendy ...

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Okay, but apart from two FA cups, three League Cups, the Champions League, the Uefa Cup, and a Super Cup, what's Gerrard ever won, eh!?
So the thread is about greatest players who have never won any cups or anything. So what is the point you’re trying to make again?

Tarrou

So the thread is about greatest players who have never won any cups or anything. So what is the point you’re trying to make again?
that Gerrard has won loads

was tongue-in-cheek, sorry!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The only major trophy that Hasselbaink won in his career was the Portuguese Cup with Boavista in 1997. He came on as a late substitute in the final against Benfica.

His goal scoring record in the Premier League against United, Arsenal and Liverpool with Leeds, Chelsea and Middlesbrough was very good, and include highlight reel screamers against all of them. During his season in La Liga with a Atleti team that was relegated he also scored plenty including goals against all of the heavyweights; Real, Barca, Depor and Valencia.

The Oracle

"Greatest players never to win a club trophy"

Having done some quick research, it has to be Harry Kane

...the reason being, he is the only World Cup golden boot winner, who has never won a trophy at club level.

1930 Uruguay – Guillermo Stábile, Argentina (8)
1934 Italy – Oldřich Nejedlý, Czechoslovakia (5)
1938 France – Leônidas, Brazil (7)
1950 Brazil – Ademir, Brazil (8)
1954 Switzerland – Sándor Kocsis, Hungary (11)
1958 Sweden – Just Fontaine, France (13)
1962 Chile – Flórián Albert, Hungary (4)
Valentin Ivanov, Soviet Union
Garrincha, Brazil
Vavá, Brazil
Dražan Jerković, Yugoslavia
Leonel Sánchez, Chile
1966 England – Eusébio, Portugal (9)
1970 Mexico – Gerd Müller, West Germany (10)
1974 West Germany – Grzegorz Lato, Poland (7)
1978 Argentina – Mario Kempes, Argentina (6)
1982 Spain – Paolo Rossi, Italy (6)
1986 Mexico – Gary Lineker, England (6)
1990 Italy – Salvatore Schillaci, Italy (6)
1994 United States – Oleg Salenko, Russia (6)
Hristo Stoichkov, Bulgaria
1998 France – Davor Šuker, Croatia (6)
2002 South Korea/Japan – Ronaldo, Brazil (8)
2006 Germany – Miroslav Klose, Germany (5)
2010 South Africa – Thomas Müller, Germany (5)
David Villa, Spain
Wesley Sneijder, Netherlands
Diego Forlan, Uruguay
2014 Brazil – James Rodríguez, Colombia (6)
2018 Russia – Harry Kane, England (6)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kane and Griezmann surely. Not that I've ever really rated Griezzman. Can never figure out the amount of z's and n's in his name. Twat.

I always had a softspot for Di Natale as well. Never won anything either I think.

Lever

Kane and Griezmann surely. Not that I've ever really rated Griezzman. Can never figure out the amount of z's and n's in his name. Twat.

I always had a softspot for Di Natale as well. Never won anything either I think.
Griezmann won Europa League with Atletico didn't he?

SaboTaj

I thought Aubameyang hadn’t won anything, but apparently he did win a few cups in Germany and France.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is one that stands out to me because he was always playing for teams that could compete for trophies and he always did his part, but never won anything. Think he was still getting runners up medals by the time he was winding down his career at Cardiff because I'm sure he was still around when they played Portsmouth in the FA Cup. He happened to arrive at Chelsea right in between their 90s cup team era and Mourinho coming in, a year or two in either direction he'd at least have got something.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Jay Jay Okocha
- won a Super Cup each in France and Turkey as well as the Intertoto cup, but that's about it on club level. 96 olympics of course with Nigeria.

Marcelo Bordon
- 300 odd Bundesliga games for good Stuttgart and Schalke teams, hugely underrated. Won the Intertoto cup trice and Copa America once with Brazil.

Marcos Senna
- Won 1 brazilian Serie A, absolutely nothing for such a great. Brilliant for Villarreal with Forlan, Capdevila and Riquelme. Made team of the tournament and was the starting CM/CDM together with Xavi when Spain won the 2008 Euros. Moved Iniesta and David Silva to the wing and benched Xabi Alonso, Santi Cazorla and Fabregas.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Baines was at least in the top 3 LBs in the league for a good 5 years (2010-15). Was in TOTY in 11-12 and 12-13 when he was arguably one of the best in the world.
Great shout. Baines was a very good player. I was shocked to see him retire the other day but then I realised he's 35. :eek: Years have flew by I remember wanting him back in the Moyes days.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
So, top players who genuinely didn't win anything listed so far

Tom Finney
Harry Kane
Le Tissier
Bernd Schneider
Guiseppe Signori
Son Heung-min
Leighton Baines

Not sure if they can be called great, but Jermaine Defoe and Stan Collymore never won anything either.

Last edited: