g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Greece Vs EU

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Yes they are as they could owe billions in taxes collectively. Greek person goes to work in an office, gets his payslip Gross / Net, how can he not pay the full amount of tax?

I don't believe that you yourself believe that any businessman earning a decent amount doesn't employ a good accountant to avoid tax. That's why its important to know the % people paid.

So 344b is missing in tax revenue in Germany, the people responsible for that amount may also be the highest contributors to tax amount, that's the point.
Portugal losing 230b in taxes and had to ask the Germans for 100+ billion of euros.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
That's why I believe a 10 or 15% flat taxes with no loops would be the best for every country, people like us who have a paycheck cannot avoid taxes but the rich people will find ways to pay almost nothing.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
OK firstly the main reason one retains the services of an accountant is to do the accounts... part of their advise will naturally relate to the best / most efficient legal structure for a business... in my case I have a legal responsibility to my shareholders to maximise sustainable returns... it's not tax evasion it's fulfilling the legal requirements I have in managing a business.
Wrap it up how you like, what % tax does the business pay?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
In your opinion. Smacks of jealousy tbh. How much do you think anyone should be "allowed" to take home in any given year? (so the government can piss most of the rest of their income up the wall)
If you are in the 60% bracket I expect 60% to be taken, no more no less. I am in the 40% and I pay 40, I pay 52% on bonuses and redundancy payments, those are the rules, no escape

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
That's why I believe a 10 or 15% flat taxes with no loops would be the best for every country, people like us who have a paycheck cannot avoid taxes but the rich people will find ways to pay almost nothing.
Nah, it's shit. To replace all taxes with a flat tax you'd need rates up in the 35% range (hazy memories of a newsnight report)

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Tax rates are irrelevant as I pointed out in the Brady case which PM chose to dismiss as an anecdote.

You can make the tax rate 10% and if you collect 100% of that you will be better off than having a staggered system where nothing is collected

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Austerity is the only tool the eurzone has as they have no currency to devalue then they must devalue from within, drive out costs and reduce wages to make products competitive, its the way of the neoliberalist disease. Then they can offer those products to other eu members that also have no money.
Exactly. You can see it better in Southern Europe. As we can't compete with our products with the rest of the world, we cut wages.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Wrap it up how you like, what % tax does the business pay?
Well that depends which country projects are operating in...
But we pay the full tax due and of course ensure we are utilising the legitimate tax relief we are entitled to... Eg depreciation

But essentially 20% in the UK
https://www.gov.uk/corporation-tax-rates/rates

On a personal basis I pay higher rate tax at 40% and on a good year I would probably loose some bonus at 45%

When delivering a project in Africa for example it may be a pre-requisite that we set up a company in situ for the duration of the job and then of course we pay tax there... though it can get complex when you then start to think about uk set up costs or depreciation of equipment and how / where you choose to allocate that... currently working on projects in 16 countries... some sale some lease some rental some pure design work so frankly my accountant is busy making sure we are recording things properly and consistently so that the bank don't have me sacked or thrown in jail when they audit us and see what we are doing with the quarter of a billion they lent us
He certainly isn't busy looking for tax loopholes... he is keeping us legal and out of jail

Last edited:

Xeno

'The Rich' aren't paying anything like the effective tax rate of the middle. 'The Rich' aren't getting PAYE taxed. Organising your tax affairs efficiently isn't illegal or immoral.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
'The Rich' aren't paying anything like the effective tax rate of the middle. 'The Rich' aren't getting PAYE taxed. Organising your tax affairs efficiently isn't illegal or immoral.
They are though. Look at the income thresholds being suggested for more punitive taxation of "the rich" and that will include huge numbers of PAYE workers. Including public sector employees. Most doctors at some point in their career, for starters.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In France or Portugal it's not the rich who don't pay their taxes at least they are not the main problem, the main culprit are little companies and artisans that don't declare all their work and employees.

Xeno

They are though. Look at the income thresholds being suggested for more punitive taxation of "the rich" and that will include huge numbers of PAYE workers. Including public sector employees. Most doctors at some point in their career, for starters.
I guess we have differing definitions of rich? I don't mean the upper middle classes, the types earning £100k etc. Of course they are incredibly well recompensed in comparison to the national average and especially the international, I meant the real high earners who don't have a salary.

Everyone thinks they pay too much tax and that the next person isn't paying enough.

Pogue Mahone

I guess we have differing definitions of rich? I don't mean the upper middle classes, the types earning £100k etc. Of course they are incredibly well recompensed in comparison to the national average and especially the international, I meant the real high earners who don't have a salary.

Everyone thinks they pay too much tax and that the next person isn't paying enough.
Exactly.

I also read that one of the most consistent definitions of "rich" was anyone that earns twice as much as the person asked the question.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

I dont think i pay too much, for the tax bracket i am in i pay the full amount, the correct amount, the % my tax bracket requires me to pay based on my salary.

Xeno

I like the idea of everyone getting taxed 10% more flat, and then receiving a monthly allowance, say £500 regardless of income.
I dont think i pay too much, for the tax bracket i am in i pay the full amount, the correct amount, the % my tax bracket requires me to pay based on my salary.
Sos' Mr Altruism.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I'm not but I do come from a small european country which has its fair share of stereotypes(Ireland)so I'm always very skeptical when people talk the problems of Greece being not problems of policy but problems of the Greek character. As if Greece would be fine if you know it wasn't full of Greeks, its nasty stuff.

The amount of shite the Greek people have and are going through, they should get the absolute respect of every European.

Greece suffers from a tax dodging middle, and upper class, topped off by a bloated public sector. The Greeks are naturally upset at the lack of traction in addressing the tax dodging side of it by successive governments. Can't blame them for being pissed.

Pogue Mahone

It's a nice spin to put on things for a Eurosceptic newspaper like the Torygraph but this is a relatively insignificant problem. The whole article is based around fraudulent benefit claims.

Fraudulent benefit claims, including bogus cases of leprosy, cost Greece €111 million last year, according to government statistics.
Greece is in debt to the tune of €321 billion.

Sweet Square

Greece suffers from a tax dodging middle, and upper class, topped off by a bloated public sector. The Greeks are naturally upset at the lack of traction in addressing the tax dodging side of it by successive governments. Can't blame them for being pissed.
? I wasn't.

Greece sufferd mostly from austerity plan, which was forced onto them.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's a nice spin to put on things for a Eurosceptic newspaper like the Torygraph but this is a relatively insignificant problem. The whole article is based around fraudulent benefit claims.

Greece is in debt to the tune of €321 billion.
:lol:
A 35-year-old taxi driver who pretended to be blind to draw a monthly disability allowance "bragged" about his ability to cheat the welfare system, according to a taxi-driver colleague.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Met an Athenian last week. He told me that most of the facilities built for the Olympics, were free to use for years after the games.
Is that true? And if it is, who the feck runs a country like that?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I just went through some data for work and found this beauty:

Greece’s „annual final consumption expenditure” was higher than their „net national income” since 2005. Between 2004 and 2008 they increased it from 95% to over 110%. Since 2009 it is oscillating between 110% and 115%.

So in short: for the last 13 years they are consuming a lot more than they are earning. Even after the crisis. That’s precisely the reason why Tsipras doesn’t want to leave the euro. All talk and accounting tricks aside, the numbers don’t lie. They’d need to cut their consumption by ~15-20%, if European taxpayers wouldn’t subsidies them. But obviously some people will continue to blame “austerity” for their problems. That’s a lot easier than facing the hart reality: In the long run you can only spend what you earn. They are responsible for their economic problems; not some obscure elite; not other European countries; not the banks.