Greenwood to wear #11 next season

Ole'sattheWheel

Love it.
Honestly would've preferred #20 on him due to the van Persie comparisons and of course the raw "finding back of net" ability he shares with Ole.

11 is good though. Attacking exciting youngster coming through the academy just like club legend giggsy with the potential to break many of his records... only time will tell.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Pogba 6
Sancho 7 YES
Martial 9
Rashford 10
Greenwood 11

:drool:

Just need a worldie for no.8 now.
Should give it to Bruno Fernandes, he’s much suited to that number. Think he had 8 at sporting.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
:lol: fair play.
not sure why you disliked it anyway. I thought it was pretty good.
Guess I’m just a grumpy old fart and don’t see what’s wrong in calling him his name instead of his number.

I can’t remember fenomeno being called R9 at the time either, it’s all a more made up recent thing since Cristiano had the cr7 to distinguish him from the Brazilian ronaldo? Then messi, fair enough two greats, then cleverly, then martial, it’s just seems now if you Think you’re good, you can be called by just your initials and number. Like Beckham May have been the first to have stitched name boots with db7 on them but I can’t remember him ever ever being referred to or called db7

I understand that’s a totally pointless morning moan :)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Guess I’m just a grumpy old fart and don’t see what’s wrong in calling him his name instead of his number.

I can’t remember fenomeno being called R9 at the time either, it’s all a more made up recent thing since Cristiano had the cr7 to distinguish him from the Brazilian ronaldo? Then messi, fair enough two greats, then cleverly, then martial, it’s just seems now if you Think you’re good, you can be called by just your initials and number. Like Beckham May have been the first to have stitched name boots with db7 on them but I can’t remember him ever ever being referred to or called db7

I understand that’s a totally pointless morning moan :)
Ronaldo had R9 on his boots over 20 years ago. He’s always had that moniker.

You only see it more now because there is more online stuff where people write short form. Nobody calls them that in real life, except for perhaps weird little kids.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

You only see it more now because there is more online stuff where people write short form. Nobody calls them that in real life, except for perhaps weird little kids.
Same as what I said for beckham, they may have had it on their boots but I can’t remember them being referred by as that

R9 is better than Fat Ronaldo.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Same as what I said for beckham, they may have had it on their boots but I can’t remember them being referred by as that
Did Twitter and football forums exist and were popular in the 90s? I don’t think so, no one had a reason to call them that. They still had it on their boots and all over tshirts and clothing and posters. I’ve never heard a single person say CR7 in real life. It’s a short form for online speak and Twitter.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Did Twitter and football forums exist and were popular in the 90s? I don’t think so, no one had a reason to call them that. They still had it on their boots and all over tshirts and clothing and posters. I’ve never heard a single person say CR7 in real life. It’s a short form for online speak and Twitter.
Ok fair enough, I don’t see the harm in just writing Greenwood instead of mg11 Or cleverly instead of tc23. Maybe I don’t appreciate the twitter character limit enough as I don’t use it.

crossy1686

career ending
Keeping the 7 shirt free is obviously a carrot for Sancho but also, there’s not a single player at our club currently who plays right side that deserves to have it.

Really happy for Greenwood to get what is possibly the second most iconic number at the club though. Really big gesture and he absolutely deserves it. Hoping for a big season from him.

fps

You guys do realise that they can't give Greenwood both 11 & 7, don't you?

Had they given him 7, then you'd all be posting the same thing, but saying stuff like "I wonder who will get 11"?
Should’ve given him 22 in honour of Bellingham

OrcaFat

Oh ok, i honestly hadn't noticed :lol:
It comes from the very old days where you had:
two full backs on the flanks, no.2 and no.3
Then
three half backs nos. 4, 5, 6 (no.5 was known as the centre half).
Then five forwards! 7 right wing, 8 inside right, 9 centre forward, 10 inside left and 11 left wing.
Them were the days.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just me who really wants the #2 taken from Lindelof and the #3 taken from Bailly?

Not suited to CBs and it hurts my eyes.

Jones having the #4 upsets me too. I want it to be given to someone who plays.
You sound like a purist like me.

I think you should still have 1-11 vaguely in the right positions, and a lineup that could play quite often.

Not tying up shirts with bit part players or wildly out of position.

I know Scholes Keane etc were glorious exceptions

Bothers me a midfielder at Wycombe has had the number 10 shirt for a decade too :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Then
Then five forwards! 7 right wing, 8 inside right, 9 centre forward, 10 inside left and 11 left wing.
Them were the days.
In the classic 4-4-2 9 of the numbers go without saying.
But some people debate which of 4 & 6 are centre back and which centre mid.

You often hear "Number 6" role as being midfield these days, and that's what I would have gone with, 4&5 centre back, 6 in midfield, but I know some 4s were centre mid.

DMacgraw

Then
Them were the days.
A slight correction... the names Right wing and Left wing were invented a bit later. The original names for the 7 and 11 positions were Outside Right and Outside Left, respectively.
Them were the days indeed!

OrcaFat

A slight correction... the names Right wing and Left wing were invented a bit later. The original names for the 7 and 11 positions were Outside Right and Outside Left, respectively.
Them were the days indeed!
Yes, that’s absolutely right! Thank you.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Clearly I’m being pedantic, but why is Rashfords 10 in one box, whilst Greenwood’s 11 is in two boxes. I wouldn’t be happy seeing that go out!
I don't know boss. I was commenting on the picture itself. Maybe the max on sticker number is 10?

In the classic 4-4-2 9 of the numbers go without saying.
But some people debate which of 4 & 6 are centre back and which centre mid.

You often hear "Number 6" role as being midfield these days, and that's what I would have gone with, 4&5 centre back, 6 in midfield, but I know some 4s were centre mid.
I’ve always associated 6 with CB.

At Utd we have had Pallister, Stam, Ferdinand (before moving to 5), Brown, Evans, I’m sure a couple more.

Off the top of my head I think 4 has been our least used number for a centre back, in the PL out of 4,5,6.

I don't know boss. I was commenting on the picture itself. Maybe the max on sticker number is 10?
I know, and I want having a go at you, just that this sort of thing draws me out of the moment. I end up focusing on something that doesn’t look right, rather than the actual message/ picture.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I know, and I want having a go at you, just that this sort of thing draws me out of the moment. I end up focusing on something that doesn’t look right, rather than the actual message/ picture.
:lol: It's ok boss. It means that you look deeper than just fancy picture.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’ve always associated 6 with CB.

At Utd we have had Pallister, Stam, Ferdinand (before moving to 5), Brown, Evans, I’m sure a couple more.

Off the top of my head I think 4 has been our least used number for a centre back, in the PL out of 4,5,6.
But when people are on about midfielders you always hear talk of whether someone is a 6 or 8.
Never a 4

Stig

Didn't Nobby Stiles wear 4 ? That would support your point of view.

Asger

Mason Greenwood and Phil Foden 'had girls back to hotel rooms' breaking strict England Covid bubble after Iceland game.

why are those rich players so stupid?!

RonaldoVII

Mason Greenwood and Phil Foden 'had girls back to hotel rooms' breaking strict England Covid bubble after Iceland game.

why are those rich players so stupid?!
Those Icelandic women look pretty hot to be fair.

Not sure how it relates to his new squad number though.