23 June 2024
21:00
Frankfurt Arena, Frankfurt

Scotland vs Hungary
23 June 2024
21:00
Stuttgart Arena, Stuttgart

Germany:

Goalkeepers: Oliver Baumann (Hoffenheim), Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Marc-André ter Stegen (Barcelona)

Defenders: Waldemar Anton (Stuttgart), Benjamin Henrichs (Leipzig), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern München), Robin Koch (Frankfurt), Maximilian Mittelstädt (Stuttgart), David Raum (Leipzig), Antonio Rüdiger (Real Madrid), Nico Schlotterbeck (Dortmund), Jonathan Tah (Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Robert Andrich (Leverkusen), Chris Führich (Stuttgart), İlkay Gündoğan (Barcelona), Pascal Gross (Brighton), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Jamal Musiala (Bayern München), Aleksandar Pavlović (Bayern München), Leroy Sané (Bayern München), Florian Wirtz (Leverkusen)

Forwards: Maximilian Beier (Hoffenheim), Niclas Füllkrug (Dortmund), Kai Havertz (Arsenal), Thomas Müller (Bayern München), Deniz Undav (Stuttgart)

Scotland:

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark (Hearts), Angus Gunn (Norwich), Liam Kelly (Motherwell)

Defenders: Liam Cooper (Leeds), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Jack Hendry (Al-Ettifaq), Ross McCrorie (Bristol City), Scott McKenna (Copenhagen), Ryan Porteous (Watford), Anthony Ralston (Celtic), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Real Sociedad)

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), James Forrest (Celtic), Billy Gilmour (Brighton), Ryan Jack (Rangers), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Kenny McLean (Norwich), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), Lewis Morgan (New York RB)

Forwards: Ché Adams (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Tommy Conway (Bristol City), Lawrence Shankland (Hearts)

Hungary:

Goalkeepers: Dénes Dibusz (Ferencváros), Péter Gulácsi (Leipzig), Péter Szappanos (Paks)

Defenders: Botond Balogh (Parma), Bendegúz Bolla (Servette), Endre Botka (Ferencváros), Márton Dárdai (Hertha Berlin), Attila Fiola (Fehérvár), Miloš Kerkez (Bournemouth), Ádám Lang (Omonoia), Zsolt Nagy (Puskás Akadémia), Loïc Négo (Le Havre), Willi Orbán (Leipzig), Attila Szalai (Freiburg)

Midfielders: Dániel Gazdag (Philadelphia Union), Mihály Kata (MTK Budapest), László Kleinheisler (Hajduk Split), Ádám Nagy (Spezia), András Schäfer (Union Berlin), Callum Styles (Sunderland), Dominik Szoboszlai (Liverpool)

Forwards: Martin Ádám (Ulsan HD), Kevin Csoboth (Újpest), Kristofer Horváth (Kecskemét), Roland Sallai (Freiburg), Barnabás Varga (Ferencváros)

Switzerland:

Goalkeepers: Gregor Kobel (Dortmund), Yvon Mvogo (Lorient), Yann Sommer (Inter)

Defenders: Manuel Akanji (Manchester City), Nico Elvedi (Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Rodríguez (Torino), Fabian Schär (Newcastle), Leonidas Stergiou (Stuttgart), Silvan Widmer (Mainz), Cédric Zesiger (Wolfsburg)

Midfielders: Michel Aebischer (Bologna), Remo Freuler (Bologna), Ardon Jashari (Luzern), Fabian Rieder (Rennes), Xherdan Shaqiri (Chicago Fire), Vincent Sierro (Toulouse), Renato Steffen (Lugano), Ruben Vargas (Augsburg), Granit Xhaka (Leverkusen), Denis Zakaria (Monaco), Steven Zuber (AEK Athens)

Forwards: Zeki Amdouni (Burnley), Kwadwo Duah (Ludogorets), Breel Embolo (Monaco), Dan Ndoye (Bologna), Noah Okafor (AC Milan)

Last edited:

PSV

Going by Nations League this is the strongest group in the tournament (all in highest tier).

thisisnottaken1

Going by Nations League this is the strongest group in the tournament (all in highest tier).
Yup. I’d argue that it’s the group of death. Gonna be next to impossible for us to progress, but hopefully we can rediscover some of the form that helped us qualify for the tournament.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yup. I’d argue that it’s the group of death. Gonna be next to impossible for us to progress, but hopefully we can rediscover some of the form that helped us qualify for the tournament.
I reckon you can get through with one win and two losses in this group and tbh I'd just take us winning one game, getting more experience in this squad for a world cup bid where the expectation should be to reach the knockout stages.

Last edited:

RoyH1

Please not Switzerland. There is no team that delivers more boring finals matches than the Swiss.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't think Swiss are as strong as in 2021. Back then Wales got a 1-1 so that has to be the formula for Scotland, solid draw against Switzerland and then everything in for Hungary which is a winner takes all match for both.

Not playing incredibly well v Germany just to lose and not have little left for the next two games which is probably more likely.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its been a long time since I last watched Scotland at a major tournament but I am very well practiced in not expecting anything.

Swiss_Red89

Please not Switzerland. There is no team that delivers more boring finals matches than the Swiss.
Like the boring 3:3 Thriller vs France in 2021 were we won in penaltys?:wenger:

I expect us to be boring this Term though, mainly due to our very conservative manager we have now. Team is fine in defence and midfield, a lot of quality players in there....but in attack we are so short of options and quality. Cannot see yet where the Goals come from other than a Xhaka Screamer or something like that. But nothing's impossible and it being in Germany means there will be a lot of Swiss Supporters in the Stands.

Will be a very interesting group, can see it finish 9/3/3/3 or even 9/2/2/2.
Will be there for every Swiss game, can't wait:devil:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Unlucky Pavlovic. Missed the chance to get his debut in March due to illness, now the tournament itself.

Hanks

Fancy Hungary to be the surprise package in this tournament.

They were desperately unlucky in 2021 (though were host in all their matches) and they have continuity under Rossi and were great in Nations League and undefeated (in albeit a very weak) qualifer campaign.

LDUred

Scotland have a pretty strong midfield that could be very competitive against Hungary and Switzerland. I wouldn't be surprised if they qualified.

Gilmour, McGregor, Christie, McGinn are decent players technically and there is work rate there. Then you have McTom given license to make his late runs and Robertson's ability on the left.

If they perform as well they can, it's certainly not beyond them to qualify.

There's questions marks over the striker and goalkeeper but Scotland can definitely get out of that group.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It would be nice. But, Scotland don't do group stages. Historically, we're not getting out this group even though this is the first tournament where the 3rd placed team could advance.
Just one win can be enough in this format. I’d back them to do that at least. Will probably get 4 points and miss out in some hilariously agonising way.

Bwuk

We know we ain't no Argentina
But we've got John McGinn (John McGinn, John McGinn)
And Robbo out on the wing (on the wing, on the wing)
No Scotland no party
Steve Clarkes Tartan Army
And even if we don't win (we will win, we will win)
We'll boogie on in Berlin (in Berlin, in Berlin)
No Scotland no party
Steve Clarkes Tartan Army

NoPace

I reckon you can get through with one win and two losses in this group and tbh I'd just take us winning one game, getting more experience in this squad for a world cup bid where the expectation should be to reach the knockout stages.
It'll be really interesting to see if managers figure one win probably gets them through and just play 3 aggressive games and hope to win 1.

Looking at the 24 teams world cup, no obvious conclusions as to what you need to snag the last 3rd place spot to go through:
1982 - 2 points and -5 GD
1986 - 3 points, -1 GD
1990 - 4 points, 0 GD

I was quite surprised by that last one. Seems high to finish 16th out of 24. 4 points I could see, but would have thought the 16th placed team would still be someone who lost by more than they won in their 2 non-draw games.

Fargo

Supports
1.FC Nürnberg
I think this group is trickier than it looks (for us Germans).

Hungary is a team that is doing really well in the underdog role. In the past 3 years, they have beaten Germany and England, as well as drawing against France.

Switzerland kicked out France in the last Euros and only lost in penalties to Spain. However, they have not played particularly well recently. Still a very solid squad.

Scotland is the weakest opponent in my opinion. But they will fight and play physically, something that our team doesn't really like.

I think we will finish the group first, but I don't see an easy win. Hungary and Switzerland will fight for second place. It's 50-50 between them.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Can't see Germany finish anywhere else than top of their group and think it has a very good chance to win this one.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Despite scoring, Scotland still haven't had a shot yet.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm very optimistic for the tournament :)

It all starts with Julian Nagelsmann. I wasn't the biggest fan of his appointment because of his playstyle at Bayern but he really won me over with his decisions. I wanted the German team to double down on technical ability and football IQ for ages and I really didn't expect him to be the one to see that through. No pace merchants, no box to box midfielders, no classic target strikers anymore, just pure quality and tactical discipline in every position. Very bold move but exactly what we needed, IMO. The only change I could see would be Henrichs for Kimmich and maybe Schlotterbeck for Tah or Rüdiger. The reasons for that are that our three CAMs all tend to play through the left so a left footed CB in the build up could bring them into play more while Kimmich despite all his quality lacks the athleticism to work a complete flank on his own. But I would also be fine if this was our starting line up for every match we play. People criticize Scotland for being that passive but the few times they tried to press higher, we immediately found depth through high balls over their pressing lines becuase Havertz, Musiala and Wirtz are also very good at making runs inbehind and needless to say that Kroos, Kimmich and Rüdiger can find them with their high passes. I think this team is just very, very versatile.

Performance-wise, Musiala completely stole the show yesterday. That was one of the best individual performances I've seen for Germany. He had games with incredible dribbles before but they were never that effective. Almost all good plays lead to something. His great goal aside, he initiated the volley chance for Wirtz, the penalty situation for Gündogan as well as the final goal from Emre Can. Immense performance. His partner in crime Wirtz scored the opening goal but was a bit shy, though, compared to his club version. I think part of that can be explained with Germany playing more direct than Leverkusen in the final third, the AMs aren't that involved in the ball circulation phase. He was decent but didn't get into as many threatening situations. IMO he should play a bit more risky. I want to see more of his trademark dribbles, one twos etc. in the upcoming games. Gündogan also deserves a special mention - the play that initiated Musiala's goal was probably the best individual moment in the whole match and he was involved in so many dangerous attacks in general.

thisisnottaken1

I'm very optimistic for the tournament :)

It all starts with Julian Nagelsmann. I wasn't the biggest fan of his appointment because of his playstyle at Bayern but he really won me over with his decisions. I wanted the German team to double down on technical ability and football IQ for ages and I really didn't expect him to be the one to see that through. No pace merchants, no box to box midfielders, no classic target strikers anymore, just pure quality and tactical discipline in every position. Very bold move but exactly what we needed, IMO. The only change I could see would be Henrichs for Kimmich and maybe Schlotterbeck for Tah or Rüdiger. The reasons for that are that our three CAMs all tend to play through the left so a left footed CB in the build up could bring them into play more while Kimmich despite all his quality lacks the athleticism to work a complete flank on his own. But I would also be fine if this was our starting line up for every match we play. People criticize Scotland for being that passive but the few times they tried to press higher, we immediately found depth through high balls over their pressing lines becuase Havertz, Musiala and Wirtz are also very good at making runs inbehind and needless to say that Kroos, Kimmich and Rüdiger can find them with their high passes. I think this team is just very, very versatile.

Performance-wise, Musiala completely stole the show yesterday. That was one of the best individual performances I've seen for Germany. He had games with incredible dribbles before but they were never that effective. Almost all good plays lead to something. His great goal aside, he initiated the volley chance for Wirtz, the penalty situation for Gündogan as well as the final goal from Emre Can. Immense performance. His partner in crime Wirtz scored the opening goal but was a bit shy, though, compared to his club version. I think part of that can be explained with Germany playing more direct than Leverkusen in the final third, the AMs aren't that involved in the ball circulation phase. He was decent but didn't get into as many threatening situations. IMO he should play a bit more risky. I want to see more of his trademark dribbles, one twos etc. in the upcoming games. Gündogan also deserves a special mention - the play that initiated Musiala's goal was probably the best individual moment in the whole match and he was involved in so many dangerous attacks in general.
Yup. You properly schooled us yesterday. A German shepherd killing a unicorn foal. I don’t know if it’s because we’re shite but if the opening match is anything to go off you’re in with a good chance of winning it with a lot of good young promising players alongside seasoned veterans.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I wasn't the biggest fan of his appointment because of his playstyle at Bayern but he really won me over with his decisions. I wanted the German team to double down on technical ability and football IQ for ages and I really didn't expect him to be the one to see that through. No pace merchants, no box to box midfielders, no classic target strikers anymore, just pure quality and tactical discipline in every position.
In hindsight, he probably adapted to Bayern's squad & recruitment more than he followed his own vision. As I remember, he had already (cautiously) hinted at that during his time there. And his decisions for the DFB team, with freedom to pick & choose, are pretty strong further evidence.