25 June 2024
18:00
Olympiastadion, Berlin

France vs Poland
25 June 2024
18:00
BVB Stadion Dortmund, Dortmund

Poland:

Goalkeepers: Marcin Bulka (Nice), Łukasz Skorupski (Bologna), Wojciech Szczęsny (Juventus)

Defenders: Jan Bednarek (Southampton), Bartosz Bereszyński (Empoli), Przemysław Frankowski (Lens), Jakub Kiwior (Arsenal), Tymoteusz Puchacz (Kaiserslautern), Bartosz Salamon (Lech Poznań), Sebastian Walukiewicz (Empoli)

Midfielders: Paweł Dawidowicz (Hellas Verona), Kamil Grosicki (Pogoń Szczecin), Jakub Moder (Brighton), Jakub Piotrowski (Ludogorets), Taras Romanczuk (Jagiellonia Białystok), Bartosz Slisz (Atlanta United), Damian Szymański (AEK Athens), Sebastian Szymański (Fenerbahçe), Kacper Urbański (Bologna), Nicola Zalewski (Roma), Piotr Zieliński (Napoli)

Forwards: Adam Buksa (Antalyaspor), Robert Lewandowski (Barcelona), Krzysztof Piątek (Başakşehir), Michał Skóraś (Club Brugge), Karol Świderski (Hellas Verona)

Netherlands:

Goalkeepers: Justin Bijlow (Feyenoord), Mark Flekken (Brentford), Bart Verbruggen (Brighton)

Defenders: Nathan Aké (Manchester City), Daley Blind (Girona), Matthijs de Ligt (Bayern München), Stefan de Vrij (Inter), Denzel Dumfries (Inter), Lutsharel Geertruida (Feyenoord), Micky van de Ven (Tottenham), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)

Midfielders: Ryan Gravenberch (Liverpool), Ian Maatsen (Dortmund), Tijjani Reijnders (AC Milan), Jerdy Schouten (PSV), Joey Veerman (PSV), Georginio Wijnaldum (Al Ettifaq)

Forwards: Steven Bergwijn (Ajax), Brian Brobbey (Ajax), Memphis Depay (Atlético de Madrid), Jeremie Frimpong (Leverkusen), Cody Gakpo (Liverpool), Donyell Malen (Dortmund), Xavi Simons (Leipzig), Wout Weghorst (Hoffenheim)

Austria:

Goalkeepers: Niklas Hedl (Rapid Wien), Heinz Lindner (Union SG), Patrick Pentz (Brøndby)

Defenders: Flavius Daniliuc (Salzburg), Kevin Danso (Lens), Philipp Lienhart (Freiburg), Phillipp Mwene (Mainz), Stefan Posch (Bologna), Leopold Querfeld (Rapid Wien), Gernot Trauner (Feyenoord), Patrick Wimmer (Wolfsburg), Maximilian Wöber (Mönchengladbach)

Midfielders: Christoph Baumgartner (Leipzig), Florian Grillitsch (Hoffenheim), Marco Grüll (Rapid Wien), Florian Kainz (Köln), Konrad Laimer (Bayern München), Alexander Prass (Sturm Graz), Marcel Sabitzer (Dortmund), Romano Schmid (Werder Bremen), Matthias Seidl (Rapid Wien), Nicolas Seiwald (Leipzig)

Forwards: Marko Arnautović (Inter), Maximilian Entrup (Hartberg), Michael Gregoritsch (Freiburg), Andreas Weimann (West Brom)

France:

Goalkeepers: Alphonse Areola (West Ham), Mike Maignan (AC Milan), Brice Samba (Lens)

Defenders: Jonathan Clauss (Marseille), Theo Hernández (AC Milan), Ibrahima Konaté (Liverpool), Jules Koundé (Barcelona), Ferland Mendy (Real Madrid), Benjamin Pavard (Inter), William Saliba (Arsenal), Dayot Upamecano (Bayern München)

Midfielders: Eduardo Camavinga (Real Madrid), Youssouf Fofana (Monaco), Antoine Griezmann (Atlético de Madrid), N'Golo Kanté (Al-Nassr), Adrien Rabiot (Juventus), Aurélien Tchouameni (Real Madrid), Warren Zaïre-Emery (Paris)

Forwards: Bradley Barcola (Paris), Kingsley Coman (Bayern München), Ousmane Dembélé (Paris), Olivier Giroud (AC Milan), Randal Kolo Muani (Paris), Kylian Mbappé (Paris), Marcus Thuram (Inter)

Last edited:
On paper this seems like the easiest group to predict but it also all depends on what Netherlands shows up this time. On paper they are stronger now than they were in the WC, but they dont have a LvG to paper over the cracks. Be curious to see what happens.

It's too bad we havent been able to successfully use Xavi Simons or fit in Jeremie Frimpong, but our defense is world class (on paper anyway) and our midfield and attack are adequate enough to get through this group.

If we have a bit of luck on the draw and Memphis, Frenkie and Simons find their form we might even get to the quarters.

If we have no luck we will finish bottom of the group.

In the end. Like Van Gaal says, the ball is round and it's eleven against eleven.

Tough group for Holland, France obviously favorites and Austria have a very good generation right now, they’re difficult to beat. And Poland do have some dangerous players and are capable of causing an upset. Oranje don’t have their most talented generation ever and lack quality no.9’s, but they do have some nice technical players still and some of the best defenders in the World. Definitely the hardest group to predict, I could see some surprises in the final standings in this group.

Tough group for Holland, France obviously favorites and Austria have a very good generation right now, they’re difficult to beat. And Poland do have some dangerous players and are capable of causing an upset. Oranje don’t have their most talented generation ever and lack quality no.9’s, but they do have some nice technical players still and some of the best defenders in the World. Definitely the hardest group to predict, I could see some surprises in the final standings in this group.

Based on what Poland have done after the WC and how mediocre they were in said WC, I can't see them causing an upset. Austria for sure, but I don't see Poland beating any of these 3 teams.

We beat Canada 4-0, France draws, England loses against Iceland, we play Iceland tonight. Dark horse in the making. Too bad about Koeman though.

We beat Canada 4-0, France draws, England loses against Iceland, we play Iceland tonight. Dark horse in the making. Too bad about Koeman though.
3-0 up, it's a done deal for the tournament basically.

Lewandowski came off after half an hour with a muscle injury against Turkey. Karol Świderski taken off 10 minutes before that too. Not good news for Poland.

Last edited:
Frimpong is so fast.... and he has a very good (early) cross too. Created two goals for Memphis in two games but the VAR removed one because a hand ball by someone else.

Veerman his passing is also very impressive. If he does shows that at the Euros he could earn himself a very nice transfer.

With players like that on the bench... nobody can stop us!

Never mind... just confirmed that Frenkie isnt going to the Euros. Guess someone else will have a chance at the cup now :(

Last edited:
Whelp, the midfield is sorting itself out I guess.

Lewandowski came off after half an hour with a muscle injury against Turkey. Karol Świderski taken off 10 minutes before that too. Not good news for Poland.
Yeah that's not great, especially as Milik got injured a couple of days earlier and was already replaced in the squad, but luckily if there's a position we have some depth it's the strikers. Lewy should be fine for the tournament, yesterday seemed like a precaution, fully expecting him to start the first game. Świderski also appears to be alright, he got "injured" while celebrating the goal, would be so ridiculous and embarrassing if he didn't play in the tournament for such idiocy :lol:

Overall, group D seems to be the second toughest around. For the first time in a long while Poland goes to the group stage as the weakest team according to the bookies and on paper and I quite like that - our manager likes to play from the underdog position and there is much less unrealistic hype around the team. Since Probierz took over, we won the playoff for the Euro spot against Estonia and Wales, and looked quite convincing in our last two wins against Ukraine and Turkey. Overall, Probierz is 6W 2D 0L in his first 8 games, so a very respectable result.

Team looks slightly weaker than a few years ago, Lewandowski is past his prime and so is Zieliński, but I think the current 3-5-2 formation works quite well for us, the left defensive-midfield flank of Kiwior and Zalewski looks good and overall we can cause some upset. I think group D might be one of those that miss out on the third team qualifying, as France and the Netherlands are expected to take 6 points each from the games against Poland and Austria, but I'm looking forward to the tournament and think we can surprise some. The match against Austria will be obviously crucial

Yeah that's not great, especially as Milik got injured a couple of days earlier and was already replaced in the squad, but luckily if there's a position we have some depth it's the strikers. Lewy should be fine for the tournament, yesterday seemed like a precaution, fully expecting him to start the first game. Świderski also appears to be alright, he got "injured" while celebrating the goal, would be so ridiculous and embarrassing if he didn't play in the tournament for such idiocy :lol:

Overall, group D seems to be the second toughest around. For the first time in a long while Poland goes to the group stage as the weakest team according to the bookies and on paper and I quite like that - our manager likes to play from the underdog position and there is much less unrealistic hype around the team. Since Probierz took over, we won the playoff for the Euro spot against Estonia and Wales, and looked quite convincing in our last two wins against Ukraine and Turkey. Overall, Probierz is 6W 2D 0L in his first 8 games, so a very respectable result.

Team looks slightly weaker than a few years ago, Lewandowski is past his prime and so is Zieliński, but I think the current 3-5-2 formation works quite well for us, the left defensive-midfield flank of Kiwior and Zalewski looks good and overall we can cause some upset. I think group D might be one of those that miss out on the third team qualifying, as France and the Netherlands are expected to take 6 points each from the games against Poland and Austria, but I'm looking forward to the tournament and think we can surprise some. The match against Austria will be obviously crucial

Yeah, seeing Poland's form isn't good news for Austria :/

Yeah, seeing Poland's form isn't good news for Austria :/
You are still favoured against us and on the paper it looks like one of the stronger Austrian groups in a while. France is probably outside of our reach, but with all the injuries, perhaps the Netherlands are there for the taking!

You are still favoured against us and on the paper it looks like one of the stronger Austrian groups in a while. France is probably outside of our reach, but with all the injuries, perhaps the Netherlands are there for the taking!

We'll see. if all is going as expected we have a little final in the last group match which can go either way. I dont think even a point against france or netherlands would change much.

A good start to the tournament important but very unlikely against france, but you never know ..

Group D will be decided by the team that is least crippled due to injuries.

France could make three selections that have a chance to win the Euros. The young France team might even have a chance. I dont think injuries hit France as hard it does any other team.

France could make three selections that have a chance to win the Euros. The young France team might even have a chance. I dont think injuries hit France as hard it does any other team.
We paid our injury tax for the next 3 or 4 tournaments at the 2022 WC.

Anyway, good luck to all our Dutch, Austrian and Polish posters! This group has everything to be entertaining.

Nah, we'll thrash you 5-0 and you can go back to Ski jumping or that weird sport where you langlauf and then shoot at stuff.

Early days but a midfield with Rabiot and Deschamps' son Griezman is nothing special. Mpappe isn't a 9 and certainly not captain material. Their defense is stacked though and may unfortunately help the dinosaur of a manager get far into another competition and avoid the sack.

If Netherlands had clinical finishers I'd back them to easily beat France, they've played by far the better football.

Yikes, Mbappe will, at the very least, miss out on the next 2 games. We should still qualify thanks to last night. There is a real possibility he might be out of the tournament.

Yikes, Mbappe will, at the very least, miss out on the next 2 games. We should still qualify thanks to last night. There is a real possibility he might be out of the tournament.

Thats a real blow. Not only because he is Mbappe and cant really be replaced, but also because the other options are kinda bad.
Feels weird to say this given his age and everything but to me your best shot at getting goals now is still Giroud.

No Mbappe is a lucky break for us. If Memphis decides to turn up we mighy have a chance now. Especially if they start that Muani fella.

I expect France to show a lot more motivation against us though.

No Mbappe is a lucky break for us. If Memphis decides to turn up we mighy have a chance now. Especially if they start that Muani fella.

I expect France to show a lot more motivation against us though.
Kante vs your entire midfield. Who wins? :confused:

Kante vs your entire midfield. Who wins? :confused:
Depends what the game is...

If he plays like he did the first half, we're aight. 2nd half renaissance Kante however. Ouch.

Our midfield without De Jong and Koopmeijners is not beating anyone either way. They'll have a tough day against those strong Austrian dudes as well.

Depends what the game is...

If he plays like he did the first half, we're aight. 2nd half renaissance Kante however. Ouch.

Our midfield without De Jong and Koopmeijners is not beating anyone either way. They'll have a tough day against those strong Austrian dudes as well.
It's a real scramble to qualify, it would seem - Austria look like a team that is very much able to cause more than a one upset in this competition.

Actually looking forward to your remaining games, and the battle against hurricane Kante. :)

There's the risk for Austria that they exhausted themselves against France. But if they can replicate last night, then they're a tough nut to crack for everyone.

It's a real scramble to qualify, it would seem - Austria look like a team that is very much able to cause more than a one upset in this competition.

Actually looking forward to your remaining games, and the battle against hurricane Kante. :)
I don't see Austria beating us honestly. Their attack is poor and our defence is by far our strongest line. If we finish like we did against Poland we might draw, but 4 points is surely enough for a second round in the current set-up.

Looking forward to Friday though. I expect a France win, but who knows.... We've upset them before.

I don't see Austria beating us honestly. Their attack is poor and our defence is by far our strongest line. If we finish like we did against Poland we might draw, but 4 points is surely enough for a second round in the current set-up.

Looking forward to Friday though. I expect a France win, but who knows.... We've upset them before.
If Deschamps stays stubborn with a midfield of Griezman, Rabiot and Kante you will have more than a chance. I actually think not having Mbappe may end up allowing them to set up a more functional forward line, though.

I think Poland are being a bit under-rated here. Maybe because I live here and am biased, but I was very impressed with their playing off the back and overall use of the ball in dangerous areas on Sunday and I really rate their coach (they call him, Guardiola here). Think they were a bit unlucky not to walk away with a draw, similar to Austria last night.

With Lewandowski back and them having 1.5 day more rest compared to Austria, they definitely stand a chance on Friday.

Holland now with a real chance to win this group with Mbappe's x-factor out of the equation. France look a bit stodgy and lack creativity in midfield.